Wedding Ceremony: PhD Etiquette for Wedding Presentation of the Couple?


If I have a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy), is it appropriate for the wedding officiant to present us to the congregation as "Dr. and Mrs. Robbins" at the end of the ceremony? Or is this reserved for MDs (Medical Doctors) only?


Since the officiant will be introducing you two as a newly married couple, and not in a professional capacity, "Mr. and Mrs. Robbins" (for example) is more appropriate. If you tend to go by "Dr. Robbins" in most social situations -- if it's on your wedding invitation, for instance -- and really feel more comfortable being addressed as such, then of course you can use "Dr." Just keep in mind that the title is usually used in social situations by medical doctors only.

Up Next
Can We Ask for Money as a Wedding Gift?

Is it rude to ask for monetary wedding gifts? We already have a blender (and pretty much everything else!).

by The Knot