Asia, Australia, and Africa: Marriage License Requirements

by the knot
photo by iStock


When to Go: June-August
Residency Requirement: None
Necessary Documents: Notice of Intended Marriage Form (available from any Australian Embassy or Consulate), to be signed by an Australian Diplomatic Officer or an Australian Consular Officer and filed with the officiant a minimum of 31 days before the ceremony. You'll also need to show your passports, birth certificates; evidence of how any previous marriage ended (copies of Divorce Papers, Absolute Decree or Death Certificates).
More Info:


When to Go: May to October
Residency Requirement: None
Necessary Documents: Passports; birth certificates; notarized letters of paternal consent if under 21 must be signed by father unless he is deceased; proof of divorce or death certificate of former spouse/s (if applicable).
Note: Registration formalities take about 15 minutes (you both must appear) but paperwork processing takes one working day. Other requirements vary by church.
More Info: Fiji Visitors Bureau, (800) 932-3454, or

French Polynesia

When to Go: May to October
Residency Requirement: At least one of you must live in French Polynesia for 30 days (no fighting, now!)
Necessary Documents: Birth certificates (issued within 3 months of your wedding and translated into French), medical certificates, 1 certificate of residency, 1 copy of notarized marriage contract, customary certificates, certificates of celibacy, and a certificate of publication of marriage bans in the non-resident's hometown
Note: Assuming one of you can establish residency, we highly recommend that you contact a wedding planner who specializes in destination weddings or in Tahiti as early as possible to help you fulfill the requirements.
More Info: Call the wedding coordinator at the resort where you'll be staying or a travel agent that specializes in Tahiti or destination weddings. Tahiti Tourism, (800) 365-4949


When to Go: May and June, September and October
Residency Requirement: none
Necessary documents: Marriage application forms completed and translated into Mongolian and approved from a notary office; Certificate of your marital status to be issued by the Consular Department of the Embassy; If divorced, you'll need legal proof of the official divorce; Medical proof that you don't have AIDS, or any sexually transmitted or psychological diseases; Statement from the Police Department that you have no criminal records; Written verification of your address; Official statement from Visa Issuing Authorities that you have no visa problems.


When to Go: Anytime but August
Residency Requirement: None, but processing the below paperwork takes about a month
Necessary Documents: Passport; if divorced, proof of dissolution of any previous Marriage(s); if former spouse is deceased, death certificate; a completed/signed affidavit of nationality and eligibility to marry; original birth certificate; police record. All of the documents except your birth certificate and passport need to be translated into Arabic.


When to Go: November to February
Residency Requirement: None
Necessary Documents: Passports; proof of divorce and/or death certificate for former spouses/s (if applicable); "Letters of Certification" from the embassy of those getting married, translated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
More Info: U.S. Embassy in Thailand at fax (011) 66-2-205-4103 or

Photo: Sophie Maher Photography

Up Next
AM resorts huatulco
13 Absolutely Stunning Places to Get Married in Mexico and the Caribbean
Destination wedding getaways you need to see to believe.
by Jennifer Hirshlag8 min read