Your Day, Your Way

Weddings are all about love—so shouldn’t you love your wedding? We work with you to create an event that reflects the personalities and values of you and your partner. From intimate rehearsal dinners to opulent receptions and wedding weekends, we present flawless weddings to remember always.

Cuisine

American, Eastern European, French, Indian, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Food + Catering

6608 James Madison Highway, Haymarket, VA (703) 754-2714

Wonderful charcuterie!!

Reviewed on 9/23/2013 Ashleigh L

My husband and I recently got married in Northern Virginia and, for our reception dinner, we wanted to recreate a wonderful charcuterie meal we had in Italy on our first vacation together as a couple. We were thrilled when we found A La Carte catering online. The photos of their... Read More charcuterie boards were exactly what we were looking for and so we set up a tasting at their restaurant. The meats and cheeses they served were absolutely delicious and the presentation was gorgeous (they use these beautiful rustic wooden boards for serving)! Their event coordinator sat down with us to discuss what we wanted and our options; their Chef came out during the tasting and to give us information about the foods being served. We decided to go with the charcuterie as well as some of their ham and sweet potato biscuits and their Mediterranean pasta (all fantastic and highly recommended). On our wedding day, delivery was prompt and the charcuterie was delivered already arranged on the boards. Everything was just as delicious as the day we tasted it and our guests were impressed with the quality of the food. We did run into a small snafu. Due to some miscommunication on both sides, we didn't have enough food to serve for all of our guests during the reception. When I brought this issue to the attention of A La Carte's owner, Karen, she graciously worked through the problem with me and we were able to come up with a solution that worked for both parties. For anyone reading this review who is considering having an event catered, I would simply advise that you get as much information as possible to make sure that what YOU expect matches what the catering company is planning to provide. If I had done that myself, I expect that my experience with A La Carte would have been 100% positive. I think they are a lovely company with WONDERFUL food. I highly recommend A La Carte!

Amazing food and service!

Reviewed on 3/21/2011 Anita O

Karen at A La Carte was so nice and helpful and worked within my budget to plan a fabulous 3 course meal. I wanted a fusion of Peruvian, Spanish, and American cuisine and the chef went over and above my expectations! The food was delicious. The service was amazing and it was so... Read More wonderful not to have to worry about a thing. They also had the cake made within budget and it was beautiful! Love you guys!

Fabulous!

Reviewed on 10/21/2010 Kendra W

Karen and her staff did everythig we asked and more. We gave them a budget and they turned that budget into pure class! We had them create a heavy appitizer buffet/passed hors'de vors. Every criteria that we had they met with higher standards than our own. I firmly believe... Read More they could create anything for anyone!

Reviewed on 1/24/2017 Sarah Z

Our cater is probably the vendor we put the most thought into. It's true when they say a good DJ and meal will have your guests talking for weeks - and that's exactly what happened. I worked with Chelsea and even paid a little extra to have her be my wedding organizer/planner... Read More the day of - it is well worth it, trust me! Plus she wasn't just my "day of" planner, she worked alongside me the entire time! I could go on and on about Chelsea and why you'll want to work with her. In short, she's patient (worked with me for nearly 3 months before signing a contract), extremely accommodating, will make your vision and dream wedding become a reality, and most importantly is beyond pleasant in every single interaction. She even served as the MPOC for our other vendors the day off - talk about a life saver. As for the food, it was delicious! Again our guests were raving about the quality of food and the presentation was like nothing I've seen before at weddings. The staff was extremely professional and made sure as bride and groom we had everything we needed throughout the night. I also loved that they allowed you to customize the menu 100%. I think across the planning I saw 5 different menu options and Chelsea was willing to sit down with us as much as we wanted. I always preferred in person meetings than communicating over email. If you are looking for an intimate planning experience, then definitely choose A la Carte!

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Kelly B

THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD before all ate! A groomsman came to me after dinner and I confirmed this. ALC said we were lying. Dinner to start @ 7. @ 625 ALC sent people to tables. Our coordinator told us and I went to ALC and got attitude. 2/3 of guests were waiting to eat ~30... Read More mins early. ALC owner blamed our coordinator, but after we proved otherwise, she blamed the venue. Didn’t take any responsibility. @ dinner, my wife welcomed guests, said grace, and apologized for the mishap. Although hurt, she kept it simple, but was more hurt when ALC claimed she never did this and called her a liar. We had our wedding at a winery and bought WAY too much of wine with the intention of stocking our cellar. The day after, only 10 bottles left and 3 were open and half-gone. Maybe people didn’t drink beer, but then I saw we went through 5 cases. In order to have consumed this much, each person had to drink ~9. One of the requests we made to ALC was to NOT bus glasses that are set down. How often have you put down a full glass, turn your back, and then the caterer took it? Many guests complained about this. I had it happen to me. My wife had a special keepsake cup and it was cleared and trashed. ALC said our guests drank a lot. Maybe, but not at the rate stated. They then blamed the winery. WRONG. They then said the large wine consumption was a result of light beer consumption. WRONG. They then said one person made this mistake and it was only a few glasses. WRONG. Are you seeing a theme? Everything is someone else’s fault. Cake Cutting. The cake cutting music started and the caterer was nowhere in sight. No plate, napkins, nothing. We tracked down the same attitude-filled guy and he took 2 mins to get us a plate and napkin. We stood there like fools. It was embarrassing. ALC was told that after the cutting, package the cake up to save. Instead, we saw the cake dissected and distributed to our guests (we had other desserts). ALC robbed us the opportunity to celebrate our 1-year anniversary with it. The owner wrote me in an email that she gave the cake to our Coordinator, but that was not true because it was served to our guests right in front of us. We did not hire ALC’s Coordinator (WAY expensive). My wife works w/ an event coordinator that plans more complicated events. ALC blamed her for problems because she was drunk. She was, but not until AFTER dinner and after we told her to go crazy. She was on point from setup -> Dinner (that’s all we asked for). ALC said she was difficult to deal with, well yah, her job is make sure they do theirs. She fixed a lot of the problems. They gave her attitude for a special request my wife made. She wanted to place welcome notes on the table. Why argue with the bride? ALC owner emailed me, “I am afraid that everything points to your Day of Coordinator.” More finger pointing. We had a call with her and when we mentioned Better Business Bureau, she hung up and didn’t answer our calls. Is ALC 100% at fault? No, I’m not that ignorant, but they were horrible. I’m IRKED at the missing wine. We were to age it and celebrate on anniversaries. My wife is embarrassed that the timing was off, she had to apologize to our guests, that the buffet ran out, and that we stood like fools trying to cut cake. BEWARE. ALC has good reviews, but if something goes wrong, they will not do a thing to resolve or take ownership. Worst $16K we have ever spent!

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Jessie W

We can't thank A la Carte enough for being part of the best day of our lives so far. Chelsea was amazing. So reliable and helpful. Our big day went by so perfectly with the help of this amazing team. We would definitely recommend Chelsea & her entire team at A la Carte!!

Reviewed on 6/17/2016 Elisabeth S

The food was amazing and their attention to detail made our day flawless!

Reviewed on 6/16/2016 Leah K

We had a truly phenomenal experience with A La Carte. My husband and I recently held a wedding party at a vineyard in Virginia, with A La Carte catering the dinner. Our guests could not stop raving about the food. We chose a casual format, with stations of small bites.... Read More Highlights included: Shredded Pork Sliders with Red Eye BBQ, Chesapeake Crab Sliders, Shrimp Grits with Cheddar & Pimento, Sweet Potato Biscuits with Virginia Country Ham & Honey Orange Butter, Summer Gazpacho Shooters, etc. We also had a Mediterranean Mezzes station with falafel, fattoush salad, hummus and baba ghanouj, stuffed grape leaves, etc. that was a huge hit! Rachel was fantastic to work with, and really helped put our vision into a reality. She was so accommodating with some of our guest’s dietary restrictions as well as our own budget. We can’t recommend Rachel highly enough! The staff on site was also super helpful and made sure it was a beautiful evening. Ultimately, everything worked out better than we could have imagined. It was amazing to be surrounded by so many loved ones, but a lot of the takeaway was how delicious the food was!

Reviewed on 1/19/2016

We hired Al La Carte to do the catering for our wedding on New Years Eve. Our wedding designer was Chelsea, and she was absolutely amazing! She worked with us from day one, helping us to work with our budget and what we envisioned as far as food and design. The provided the... Read More tables, chairs, linens, food (we did stations which was AWESOME), bar, and service staff for the food/bar. Chelsea was absolutely amazing, and worked hard to help create and execute the wedding of my dreams. The staff at Al La Carte for the day of our wedding was super professional and provided outstanding service! My husband and I were attended to the whole night as the bride and groom - which made it extra special for us. The food was outstanding. Everyone gave us such great feedback on how yummy the food was, and how cool it was to have something different and fun like 'stations' for our wedding, with non-traditional food options! The bar tending and bar service was also amazing! Overall, Al La Carte is a boutique operation, and that really shows in their quality of work and level of service. Chelsea was amazing in planning the whole thing to match our vision and budget, the staff was amazing and professional, and the food and drinks they provided were outstanding. I would recommend Al La Carte to anyone who needs catering services for a wedding or upcoming event! Cheers to them and helping to make our wedding a night we will never forget!

Reviewed on 1/13/2016

Chelsea, We had an absolutely wonderful time at the reception, and you were the biggest part of that! It was just so wonderful to know that everything would be ready and beautiful when we arrived, and that I didn't have to micromanage anything. The room looked even more... Read More beautiful than I expected, and I really liked the special things you had done, like the shimmery silver tablecloths on the family table, and the cute sweetheart table and decor. I know that you and Laura also worked together a lot, and I really appreciate that. You both have the knack of taking the ball and running with it (in a good way!), which really takes a lot of pressure off of the bride and family. I felt completely able to relax and enjoy the day, without feeling like I had to run around making anything happen...even though I know that's what you were probably doing (in a very professional and not stressed-looking way...) :). We got so many great comments on the food, and it really was amazing. The quality of everything was exceptional, and all of the guests really loved it. Everyone seemed to love the brunch food, and the stations were a hit. Also, I had multiple people say how wonderful the wait staff was, and how they were so on top of things. They were all so personable too, and made people feel welcome. Kathleen and Lucas had an awesome time, as you may have noticed, and I appreciate you all serving them in such a personal way. They felt very special, and just enjoyed every minute of it. It was a memorable start to their life together, and you all were a very big part of that. So, thank you so much for all of your hard work, attention to detail, and your sweet presence. We would unreservedly recommend A La Carte to anyone looking for a caterer...especially if you were the event designer... :)

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Malerie B

A La Carte Catering created delicious and amazing food at our wedding on Oct 11, 2015! From the start of the planning process, A La Carte Catering was very helpful on creating both authentic Filipino and American dishes for our family and friends to enjoy. It was such a pleasure... Read More working with Chelsea throughout the wedding planning! She was extremely helpful in suggestions on the décor (runners, color schemes, plate setting, etc…) to make sure the room had an elegant and romantic feel. Whenever we had questions or concerns about the food or alcohol, she was very prompt on responding to us. The hors d’oeuvres were a major hit! During cocktail hour, the wedding party was busy with the photographers, however, ALC had servers that brought everyone drinks and food throughout the photo session. The staff was well dressed and professional. My husband and I loved the hors d’oeurvres, the Filipino and American cuisines, and the cute mini desserts that ALC created for our wedding. The presentation was lovely and the whole pig roast was a major hit!

Reviewed on 11/11/2015 Casey D

Chelsea and A La Carte Catering were absolutely great to work with! They were very professional. They answered any questions or concerns within 24-48 hours. They made sure everything was exactly what we wanted up until the day of the wedding. The food was terrific, everything... Read More from the whole pig to the mini desserts! I would recommend them to anyone for any occasion!

Reviewed on 11/10/2015

I had the most amazing time working with A la Carte catering. The price was slightly higher than the other three options I was looking at but the quality was far superior! A la Carte was the only caterer I interviewed that was willing to try our diverse menu (Italian, American,... Read More Afghan, and Persian buffet). Angela Smith is THE BEST and is so much fun to work with. She is very attentive and always responds within 24 hours (although it's often more like 1-2 hours). To top it off all our guests raved about the food at our reception -- they were able to take our family recipes and make them even better. I will definitely be contacting them for any of my future events.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Stephanie B

We couldn't have been happier with our experience with A La Carte for our wedding at Stone Tower Winery in Virginia last month. From the initial tasting, to the execution on the day of - the entire team exceeded our expectations. Angela Smith, our point of contact and event... Read More stylist/coordinator, was so amazing throughout the entire process. She was very responsive with communication, always quick to respond, and was so patient with all of our requests and questions as the big day got closer. So great! On the day of the wedding, I felt so relaxed knowing Angela was there to make sure everything was set and displayed as we planned. We were all impressed with the professionalism and attentiveness of the wait staff during the wedding. They were so kind to find me and my husband (!) on multiple occasions during cocktail hour to make sure we were OK and had enough hors d'oeuvre and drinks. Our places at the table were set with our wine of choice when we sat down, and we (nor any of our guests) were ever having to look for a server for a drink refill. They were always right there! Bar service throughout the reception was fast and there was never a long line at the bar - which our guests loved! We received many, many compliments about our food. We opted for a buffet vs. plated, but the display and presentation made the dinner still feel upscale and formal. Overall, a great experience and I HIGHLY recommend!

Reviewed on 6/29/2015 Isadora M

We chose A La Carte for many reason - least of all was their food (which is amazing of course), but since we run a wedding venue I knew I wanted a caterer that offered MORE than amazing food. They are professional, reliable, and made the event run smoothly, I always say the mark... Read More of a good caterer is that they are almost invisible through the event, and after you don't know they were there except for great leftovers and a full stomach. They went one step beyond this, having food ready for us to eat, before I even realized I was hungry, and presenting the food in such a way that people were posting pictures of their dishes to facebook. They are truly excellent and in an industry with lots of competition stand among the very best

Highly Recommend A la Carte Catering!

Reviewed on 1/06/2015

I had a picture in my head of what I wanted my wedding day to look like and my experience with A la Carte exceeded my expectations. I walked into the ceremony and dining area on the day of my wedding and I was in tears. Everything was exactly what I had in mind (and much... Read More more!). It was beautiful and so many little details I never thought of were taken care of. My guests raved about the way everything was decorated, how the food was so delicious and that the service was extremely helpful and professional. My wedding day was perfected and made so much more memorable because of A la Carte. I would highly recommend them for your wedding or any event for that matter!

Great Sales Pitch. Poor Execution.

Reviewed on 12/09/2014 Samira N

Most disappointing experience! I’ve contacted A La Carte about my issues below several times. I received a message stating there was nothing to be done at this point and they would like to offer us a free dinner and bottle of wine. When I requested an itemized copy of bill to... Read More make sure we were not charged for the menu items that did not end up on the buffet -I was told the owner would call me. Still no response. I waited to post this until I heard from the owner to see if she could address my concerns. Still no response. It’s inevitable for things to go wrong on your wedding day-however, when the majority of the mistakes come from the same vendor it is hard to overlook. These mistakes were even caught by guests. What was bad: Wedding of 150 guests: several vegetarians due to religious reasons. • We added a veggie samosa as a passed cocktail appetizer. Day of Wedding: NO SAMOSA. Replaced by chicken dish. No Veg option at cocktail hr. • Told veg plates would be hand delivered by caterer. Gave her table # & guest names. Plates not delivered & the GROOM had to find the planner to correct the issue. • Groom had to request cocktail apps be brought to bridal party (they were cold) • Requested menu descriptions for menus sign. Description included: green beans & potatoes. At Wedding: NEITHER was served. The Planner mentioned it was an accident that those were emailed to me. Pretty big accident. And guests DID notice missing dishes. • The Bar: Instructed planner to ensure that no unnecessary liquor/wine bottles were to be opened the last half hour. Long story short: This did NOT happen. • Paid for a Keg which was not used by Bar Staff. When asked caterer why…no response. I felt like the Day of the Wedding they were not prepared and after the payments had been made our concerns were not important. We made it a point to budget more money on food because that is what people remember most about a wedding. This experience is something I will never forget. Above all…find a caterer with not just good food but also exemplary customer service.

The Best Catering You Will Ever Have!

Reviewed on 8/05/2014 Noelle A

A La Carte catered both our rehearsal gathering and our wedding reception and everyone kept raving about the food. We felt that one of our most important wedding vendor decisions was about the food, especially with a daytime wedding where the food is the star of the reception.... Read More A La Carte made our decision easy from the beginning. They understood the food theme we were going for right away and we loved all of their menu suggestions. They really worked with us to fine tune our menu to be exactly what we wanted and even worked with my husband on a dessert recipe that they hadn't made before, and they made it to perfection. Both sides of our family have food allergies, including my husband, and A La Carte was vigilant in making sure each menu item was labeled and guests with allergies had options. Absolutely everything tasted amazing and our guests were saying that they had never been at a wedding with such good food. We even pushed our cake cutting back because our guests couldn't get enough of the food! My husband and I can't wait to visit A La Carte again for a meal!

Didn't like

Reviewed on 11/08/2010 Candace S

Their food was too "fru fru" for us as well as too expensive for what we wanted. It took NUMEROUS emails to get a response regarding sample menus, scheduling a tasting,etc., etc. They wanted to provide us with a tentative contract even before we had attended the tasting.