A la Carte Catering + Event Design

Warrenton, VA

Your Day, Your Way

Weddings are all about love—so shouldn’t you love your wedding? We work with you to create an event that reflects the personalities and values of you and your partner. From intimate rehearsal dinners to opulent receptions and wedding weekends, we present flawless weddings to remember always.

Cuisine

American, Eastern European, French, Indian, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Food + Catering

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100

1471 Bludau Drive , Warrenton, VA (703) 754-2714

Wonderful charcuterie!!

Reviewed on 9/23/2013 Ashleigh L

My husband and I recently got married in Northern Virginia and, for our reception dinner, we wanted to recreate a wonderful charcuterie meal we had in Italy on our first vacation together as a couple. We were thrilled when we found A La Carte catering online. The photos of their... Read More charcuterie boards were exactly what we were looking for and so we set up a tasting at their restaurant. The meats and cheeses they served were absolutely delicious and the presentation was gorgeous (they use these beautiful rustic wooden boards for serving)! Their event coordinator sat down with us to discuss what we wanted and our options; their Chef came out during the tasting and to give us information about the foods being served. We decided to go with the charcuterie as well as some of their ham and sweet potato biscuits and their Mediterranean pasta (all fantastic and highly recommended). On our wedding day, delivery was prompt and the charcuterie was delivered already arranged on the boards. Everything was just as delicious as the day we tasted it and our guests were impressed with the quality of the food. We did run into a small snafu. Due to some miscommunication on both sides, we didn't have enough food to serve for all of our guests during the reception. When I brought this issue to the attention of A La Carte's owner, Karen, she graciously worked through the problem with me and we were able to come up with a solution that worked for both parties. For anyone reading this review who is considering having an event catered, I would simply advise that you get as much information as possible to make sure that what YOU expect matches what the catering company is planning to provide. If I had done that myself, I expect that my experience with A La Carte would have been 100% positive. I think they are a lovely company with WONDERFUL food. I highly recommend A La Carte!

Amazing food and service!

Reviewed on 3/21/2011 Anita O

Karen at A La Carte was so nice and helpful and worked within my budget to plan a fabulous 3 course meal. I wanted a fusion of Peruvian, Spanish, and American cuisine and the chef went over and above my expectations! The food was delicious. The service was amazing and it was so... Read More wonderful not to have to worry about a thing. They also had the cake made within budget and it was beautiful! Love you guys!

Fabulous!

Reviewed on 10/21/2010 Kendra W

Karen and her staff did everythig we asked and more. We gave them a budget and they turned that budget into pure class! We had them create a heavy appitizer buffet/passed hors'de vors. Every criteria that we had they met with higher standards than our own. I firmly believe... Read More they could create anything for anyone!

Reviewed on 12/31/2017 Cameron D

A la Carte catered both our rehearsal dinner and our wedding reception and we could not have been happier. Everything was delicious and beautifully plated. The tasting was a wonderful experience and we were able to easily work with Karen to adjust the menus as needed. We got... Read More incredible compliments on the passed appetizers and the main courses. Yummy food was a priority for us and a la carte did not disappoint!

Reviewed on 11/19/2017 Gabby C

A La Carte was amazing, Karen was great to work with and was extremely helpful throughout the process. Their staff the night of the wedding were AMAZING extremely professional and the worked like clockwork. Our guests even commented on organized they were from the manager,... Read More waiters, and bartenders. The manager who was in charge our night made sure we always had food and drinks in front of us which was AMAZING. I am Italian so food is a big deal and their food was phenomenal. I would highly recommend A la carte!

Reviewed on 11/04/2017 Kayla B

A la Carte did a great job! We had a rustic wedding and knew we wanted a family style dinner. Karen and Merril worked with us to create a fantastic menu for our guests to enjoy. A la Carte was efficient at helping with setup, getting out all of the food, and the waitstaff was... Read More very professional. A la Carte is an amazing vendor to work with and anyone is lucky to have them as a caterer.

Reviewed on 10/19/2017 Amy C

A la Carte did a great job! We had a garden wedding that was weird on space and they made our family style dinner work. I presented them with a challenge and they delivered! Many people came up to me afterward and told me how delicious the food was. If you ever get passed... Read More appetizers, make sure you get the ham biscuits because they are AMAZING.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Meredith M

I cannot say enough good things about Karen and A La Carte. Right from the start, Karen treated me and my fiance like family, always going out of her way to make sure we were happy with everything, from start to finish. I know that people probably say that a lot, but it really... Read More is true. During the course of my wedding planning, I had a very sudden and unexpected death in my family. I was in contact with Karen at that time because we were working on our contract with her, and she was so understanding about us not being able to go over the contract at that time. She even sent a full catered meal to my house, free of charge (and without being asked to do so), and emailed me to check in on me. I cannot imagine any other caterer doing so much for a bride. Besides how wonderful Karen was personally, she and ALC were also fantastic professionally. They were always responsive to emails and had no issues when we wanted to make changes to our menu. And speaking of the food, it was incredible! People are still telling me that it was delicious and not only was the best food they have had a wedding, but some of the best food they have ever had, period! I have one friend who is obsessed with steak, and he said his steak at the wedding was the best he had ever had anywhere! They also did a great job with the service during the reception. They were so efficient at getting out all of the food, and there was always someone checking on me and my husband to make sure we had everything we needed. Merrill and Dejan in particular were fantastic! I cannot recommend ALC highly enough. You will not be disappointed with them!

Reviewed on 10/09/2017 Kayla M

The food was amazing, and the staff was even more incredible. We were an out of state couple and Hannah worked miracles to make sure that we were able to be included in all decision making and planning from afar. We also had a severe nut allergy to work around, and they made it... Read More so easy compared to other vendors that we talked with. Their attention to detail is incredible and they made the entire process effortless. On the wedding day, I just knew we wouldn't have any issues -- these guys are the best.

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Amanda B

A La Carte is the best!! We used them for both our engagement party and our wedding and we could not have been more pleased! The food is beyond delicious and the staff is so wonderful. I recommend finding an event where they will be showing off their catering skills. Trust me,... Read More you will not be disappointed. Special shout out to Karen who really put in the extra effort! Thank you so so much!

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 J P

We chose A la Carte Catering and Event Design for our daughter's recent wedding. I had sampled their food at a small gathering a few years ago and thought is was wonderful. Their facility was not too far from where we lived. That was also a factor for me. A la Carte was put on... Read More the list of possible caterers. We ended up choosing them and that turned out to be a great choice. A la Carte was able to meet the challenges we had along the way. Our daughter and her fiancé lived out of town, so finding a date when we could all get together for a tasting was quite limited. But three days before Christmas, there we were enjoying a feast prepared by A la Carte. This was not just bite-sized samples of a few items, but more than enough food to get a real taste of the creative menu they offer. We also had guests with a variety of dietary needs/restrictions. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, diabetic... Not a problem for A la Carte. At the reception, the food was labeled or someone was available to ask if a guest had a question about the food. A la Carte was also flexible in helping us keep our costs down by allowing us to bring in our own soft drinks, wine and beer and some of our desserts. Catering costs for a wedding are not inexpensive and this gesture was very helpful and much appreciated. The food was fabulous. Some of our guests are still commenting on it. Not only delicious, but beautifully displayed. We started with the Mango Jicama Chopped Salad. It was perfectly refreshing on a warm afternoon. And the Piri Piri Chicken is out of this world. These are just two of the standout dishes offered at the buffet-style reception. Everything was wonderful. Another area that deserves high praise was the A la Carte wait staff. They were extremely attentive and could not have been more friendly, helpful or accommodating. Merrill kept things running smoothly and was our contact for the afternoon. Our daughter and her new husband particularly appreciated Daniel and Dejan (who were assigned specifically to them and the head table) bringing them plates of hors d'oeuvres throughout the cocktail hour and drink refills throughout dinner to ensure they'd be able to enjoy the food in the midst of the busy reception. Throughout the planning of this reception, Karen and the Event staff (Jennifer and Hannah) were eager to make this process go as smoothly as possible. A la Carte and our family were focused on making this wedding and reception as close to perfect as we could. It was. Well done!

Reviewed on 6/28/2017

You and your team did a super job! Many, many compliments from our guests. Thank you and your team for delivering a first class experience that helped make our wedding celebration a wonderful success.

Reviewed on 5/19/2017 Amy H

I can't say enough good things about A La Carte Catering; as much as I want to say that my husband and I were the highlights of our wedding...I think the FOOD stole the show! From the very beginning, I worked with Jennifer and she was just so professional, polite, and incredibly... Read More friendly. We worked through a couple variations of my menu, and provided her expert advice when it came to what items paired well together. We ended up deciding on some butlered hors d'oeuvres for the cocktail hour and a few stations for people to eat when they wanted for the reception. When we had our menu together, my fiance and I did a tasting at their location in Warrenton, VA. Not only was it nice to meet Jennifer face-to-face, but the company president, Karen, also stopped by as well! We had a couple of items from our menu that we wanted to taste, and a few things that we hadn't chosen for the menu but wanted to compare. Let me just say: EVERTYTHING WAS DELICIOUS. Seriously. We ended up changing our menu completely, and even added ANOTHER station, upon Karen's suggestion. We also coordinated linen/napkin colors, and table types as well. The day-of, I was a little nervous to see how everything would turn out, as we had dropped off our table centerpieces for the setup, along with directions on how to place everything. When I got to the cocktail hour and reception, the staff was so accommodating and immediately provided my husband and I with separate trays of hors d'oeuvres and asked for our drink orders! The entire place was outfitted with everything I asked, and they'd even dressed up the food stations with my greenery to make it look absolutely beautiful. There was a rumor of rain for our outdoor cocktail hour, and the catering team worked a few changes on the fly to set up some of our tables inside. Throughout the reception, the entire staff was so incredibly friendly, and everyone was commenting on how delicious the food was. We ended up with a slider station, a taco station, a salad station (freshly shaken "cocktail" type salads in martini glasses), and a custard/dessert station. It was so much more than I ever hoped for, and I would hands-down work with A La Carte again.

Reviewed on 4/23/2017 Kyle O

Angela was responsive and flexible when we had to adjust numbers of guests. One guest who writes a food blog said it was the best wedding food she had ever had. Highly recommend.

Reviewed on 1/24/2017 Sarah Z

Our cater is probably the vendor we put the most thought into. It's true when they say a good DJ and meal will have your guests talking for weeks - and that's exactly what happened. I worked with Chelsea and even paid a little extra to have her be my wedding organizer/planner... Read More the day of - it is well worth it, trust me! Plus she wasn't just my "day of" planner, she worked alongside me the entire time! I could go on and on about Chelsea and why you'll want to work with her. In short, she's patient (worked with me for nearly 3 months before signing a contract), extremely accommodating, will make your vision and dream wedding become a reality, and most importantly is beyond pleasant in every single interaction. She even served as the MPOC for our other vendors the day off - talk about a life saver. As for the food, it was delicious! Again our guests were raving about the quality of food and the presentation was like nothing I've seen before at weddings. The staff was extremely professional and made sure as bride and groom we had everything we needed throughout the night. I also loved that they allowed you to customize the menu 100%. I think across the planning I saw 5 different menu options and Chelsea was willing to sit down with us as much as we wanted. I always preferred in person meetings than communicating over email. If you are looking for an intimate planning experience, then definitely choose A la Carte!

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Kelly B

THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD before all ate! A groomsman came to me after dinner and I confirmed this. ALC said we were lying. Dinner to start @ 7. @ 625 ALC sent people to tables. Our coordinator told us and I went to ALC and got attitude. 2/3 of guests were waiting to eat ~30... Read More mins early. ALC owner blamed our coordinator, but after we proved otherwise, she blamed the venue. Didn’t take any responsibility. @ dinner, my wife welcomed guests, said grace, and apologized for the mishap. Although hurt, she kept it simple, but was more hurt when ALC claimed she never did this and called her a liar. We had our wedding at a winery and bought WAY too much of wine with the intention of stocking our cellar. The day after, only 10 bottles left and 3 were open and half-gone. Maybe people didn’t drink beer, but then I saw we went through 5 cases. In order to have consumed this much, each person had to drink ~9. One of the requests we made to ALC was to NOT bus glasses that are set down. How often have you put down a full glass, turn your back, and then the caterer took it? Many guests complained about this. I had it happen to me. My wife had a special keepsake cup and it was cleared and trashed. ALC said our guests drank a lot. Maybe, but not at the rate stated. They then blamed the winery. WRONG. They then said the large wine consumption was a result of light beer consumption. WRONG. They then said one person made this mistake and it was only a few glasses. WRONG. Are you seeing a theme? Everything is someone else’s fault. Cake Cutting. The cake cutting music started and the caterer was nowhere in sight. No plate, napkins, nothing. We tracked down the same attitude-filled guy and he took 2 mins to get us a plate and napkin. We stood there like fools. It was embarrassing. ALC was told that after the cutting, package the cake up to save. Instead, we saw the cake dissected and distributed to our guests (we had other desserts). ALC robbed us the opportunity to celebrate our 1-year anniversary with it. The owner wrote me in an email that she gave the cake to our Coordinator, but that was not true because it was served to our guests right in front of us. We did not hire ALC’s Coordinator (WAY expensive). My wife works w/ an event coordinator that plans more complicated events. ALC blamed her for problems because she was drunk. She was, but not until AFTER dinner and after we told her to go crazy. She was on point from setup -> Dinner (that’s all we asked for). ALC said she was difficult to deal with, well yah, her job is make sure they do theirs. She fixed a lot of the problems. They gave her attitude for a special request my wife made. She wanted to place welcome notes on the table. Why argue with the bride? ALC owner emailed me, “I am afraid that everything points to your Day of Coordinator.” More finger pointing. We had a call with her and when we mentioned Better Business Bureau, she hung up and didn’t answer our calls. Is ALC 100% at fault? No, I’m not that ignorant, but they were horrible. I’m IRKED at the missing wine. We were to age it and celebrate on anniversaries. My wife is embarrassed that the timing was off, she had to apologize to our guests, that the buffet ran out, and that we stood like fools trying to cut cake. BEWARE. ALC has good reviews, but if something goes wrong, they will not do a thing to resolve or take ownership. Worst $16K we have ever spent!

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Jessie W

We can't thank A la Carte enough for being part of the best day of our lives so far. Chelsea was amazing. So reliable and helpful. Our big day went by so perfectly with the help of this amazing team. We would definitely recommend Chelsea & her entire team at A la Carte!!

Reviewed on 6/17/2016 Elisabeth S

The food was amazing and their attention to detail made our day flawless!

Reviewed on 6/16/2016 Leah K

We had a truly phenomenal experience with A La Carte. My husband and I recently held a wedding party at a vineyard in Virginia, with A La Carte catering the dinner. Our guests could not stop raving about the food. We chose a casual format, with stations of small bites.... Read More Highlights included: Shredded Pork Sliders with Red Eye BBQ, Chesapeake Crab Sliders, Shrimp Grits with Cheddar & Pimento, Sweet Potato Biscuits with Virginia Country Ham & Honey Orange Butter, Summer Gazpacho Shooters, etc. We also had a Mediterranean Mezzes station with falafel, fattoush salad, hummus and baba ghanouj, stuffed grape leaves, etc. that was a huge hit! Rachel was fantastic to work with, and really helped put our vision into a reality. She was so accommodating with some of our guest’s dietary restrictions as well as our own budget. We can’t recommend Rachel highly enough! The staff on site was also super helpful and made sure it was a beautiful evening. Ultimately, everything worked out better than we could have imagined. It was amazing to be surrounded by so many loved ones, but a lot of the takeaway was how delicious the food was!

Reviewed on 1/19/2016

We hired Al La Carte to do the catering for our wedding on New Years Eve. Our wedding designer was Chelsea, and she was absolutely amazing! She worked with us from day one, helping us to work with our budget and what we envisioned as far as food and design. The provided the... Read More tables, chairs, linens, food (we did stations which was AWESOME), bar, and service staff for the food/bar. Chelsea was absolutely amazing, and worked hard to help create and execute the wedding of my dreams. The staff at Al La Carte for the day of our wedding was super professional and provided outstanding service! My husband and I were attended to the whole night as the bride and groom - which made it extra special for us. The food was outstanding. Everyone gave us such great feedback on how yummy the food was, and how cool it was to have something different and fun like 'stations' for our wedding, with non-traditional food options! The bar tending and bar service was also amazing! Overall, Al La Carte is a boutique operation, and that really shows in their quality of work and level of service. Chelsea was amazing in planning the whole thing to match our vision and budget, the staff was amazing and professional, and the food and drinks they provided were outstanding. I would recommend Al La Carte to anyone who needs catering services for a wedding or upcoming event! Cheers to them and helping to make our wedding a night we will never forget!

Reviewed on 1/13/2016

Chelsea, We had an absolutely wonderful time at the reception, and you were the biggest part of that! It was just so wonderful to know that everything would be ready and beautiful when we arrived, and that I didn't have to micromanage anything. The room looked even more... Read More beautiful than I expected, and I really liked the special things you had done, like the shimmery silver tablecloths on the family table, and the cute sweetheart table and decor. I know that you and Laura also worked together a lot, and I really appreciate that. You both have the knack of taking the ball and running with it (in a good way!), which really takes a lot of pressure off of the bride and family. I felt completely able to relax and enjoy the day, without feeling like I had to run around making anything happen...even though I know that's what you were probably doing (in a very professional and not stressed-looking way...) :). We got so many great comments on the food, and it really was amazing. The quality of everything was exceptional, and all of the guests really loved it. Everyone seemed to love the brunch food, and the stations were a hit. Also, I had multiple people say how wonderful the wait staff was, and how they were so on top of things. They were all so personable too, and made people feel welcome. Kathleen and Lucas had an awesome time, as you may have noticed, and I appreciate you all serving them in such a personal way. They felt very special, and just enjoyed every minute of it. It was a memorable start to their life together, and you all were a very big part of that. So, thank you so much for all of your hard work, attention to detail, and your sweet presence. We would unreservedly recommend A La Carte to anyone looking for a caterer...especially if you were the event designer... :)

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Malerie B

A La Carte Catering created delicious and amazing food at our wedding on Oct 11, 2015! From the start of the planning process, A La Carte Catering was very helpful on creating both authentic Filipino and American dishes for our family and friends to enjoy. It was such a pleasure... Read More working with Chelsea throughout the wedding planning! She was extremely helpful in suggestions on the décor (runners, color schemes, plate setting, etc…) to make sure the room had an elegant and romantic feel. Whenever we had questions or concerns about the food or alcohol, she was very prompt on responding to us. The hors d’oeuvres were a major hit! During cocktail hour, the wedding party was busy with the photographers, however, ALC had servers that brought everyone drinks and food throughout the photo session. The staff was well dressed and professional. My husband and I loved the hors d’oeurvres, the Filipino and American cuisines, and the cute mini desserts that ALC created for our wedding. The presentation was lovely and the whole pig roast was a major hit!

Reviewed on 11/11/2015 Casey D

Chelsea and A La Carte Catering were absolutely great to work with! They were very professional. They answered any questions or concerns within 24-48 hours. They made sure everything was exactly what we wanted up until the day of the wedding. The food was terrific, everything... Read More from the whole pig to the mini desserts! I would recommend them to anyone for any occasion!

Reviewed on 11/10/2015

I had the most amazing time working with A la Carte catering. The price was slightly higher than the other three options I was looking at but the quality was far superior! A la Carte was the only caterer I interviewed that was willing to try our diverse menu (Italian, American,... Read More Afghan, and Persian buffet). Angela Smith is THE BEST and is so much fun to work with. She is very attentive and always responds within 24 hours (although it's often more like 1-2 hours). To top it off all our guests raved about the food at our reception -- they were able to take our family recipes and make them even better. I will definitely be contacting them for any of my future events.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Stephanie B

We couldn't have been happier with our experience with A La Carte for our wedding at Stone Tower Winery in Virginia last month. From the initial tasting, to the execution on the day of - the entire team exceeded our expectations. Angela Smith, our point of contact and event... Read More stylist/coordinator, was so amazing throughout the entire process. She was very responsive with communication, always quick to respond, and was so patient with all of our requests and questions as the big day got closer. So great! On the day of the wedding, I felt so relaxed knowing Angela was there to make sure everything was set and displayed as we planned. We were all impressed with the professionalism and attentiveness of the wait staff during the wedding. They were so kind to find me and my husband (!) on multiple occasions during cocktail hour to make sure we were OK and had enough hors d'oeuvre and drinks. Our places at the table were set with our wine of choice when we sat down, and we (nor any of our guests) were ever having to look for a server for a drink refill. They were always right there! Bar service throughout the reception was fast and there was never a long line at the bar - which our guests loved! We received many, many compliments about our food. We opted for a buffet vs. plated, but the display and presentation made the dinner still feel upscale and formal. Overall, a great experience and I HIGHLY recommend!