Documentary Style Wedding Photography

I like to document wedding days with as little intervention as possible; I find that doing so helps me best capture the day in it's realest form. When you look back on your wedding photos many years from now, I want you to have the most accurate sense of the emotion you were feeling in that moment. The photos that best accomplish that, are the ones of moments between the important part of the day; the moments between the moments, so to speak. Sometimes it's those little parts of the day that end up being the most cherished. To inquire, please please fill out the form on my website if you could. I'm having some issues with The Knot's mail system and messages not being delivered all the time. Thank you so much.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern

Bridal Portraits, Engagement

Los Angeles, CA Southern California and Worldwide
WEBSITE INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 2/15/2017 Lauren S

Alex far exceeded our expectations for our wedding day. He made us feel so comfortable, despite being super stressed, and helped us keep everything on time (we did not have a wedding planner, although in hindsight we should have). We just think he managed to get shots of some of... Read More the parts of the day that we never even would have realized were being photographed, and we loved that so much. We are so happy with our photos, and definitely definitely recommend Alex to anyone else searching!

Reviewed on 9/02/2017 Josh V

Alex was a fantastic photographer to work with. We were looking for a lifestyle / documentary look which he captured very well. As someone who doesn't enjoy being in front of the camera, Alex definitely made us both feel super comfortable. His easy going attitude and fun... Read More personality really made it easy, and he was able to capture pictures of us that we never expected. We would recommend Alex in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an engagement or wedding photographer, particularly if you're wanting a fun and down to earth person.

Reviewed on 8/17/2017 Marla B

My husband and I were drawn to Alex's work because he is so good at catching natural, raw emotion and truly candid moments. He blended in so well at our wedding - totally easy to talk to and spend the whole day with. He was incredibly sweet and patient with my grandma and mother... Read More in law who insisted on him taking a million posed photos of them and then asking to see the on his camera afterwards! Alex sent me sneak peek photos just a few days after our wedding and they are STUNNING! I'm so happy with the pictures we've seen so far and can't wait to get the rest back in a few weeks!! Book Alex for your wedding and you won't regret it!

Reviewed on 3/17/2017 Melissa W

Our wedding was nothing short of hectic, to say the least, but Alex was still such a professional and managed to exceed our expectations, despite everything going on. We are still so, so happy with the pictures he delivered to us and would absolutely recommend him to anyone.... Read More Thank you again so much, Alex!

Reviewed on 12/23/2016 Kendra K

I'll start with what you're going to get: The photographs are EXCELLENT. He creates beautiful images of the people, the setting, the day, the varied emotions, etc. He really does see and extract beauty from the mundane. This will mean different things to different people - for... Read More us it meant our guests were photographed in their most human form, and the purest intentions of the day shone through. In a photographer, we weren't looking for merely a "vendor," but specifically an artist. We weren't looking for someone to line us up and herd our relatives. We wanted to see our wedding as interpreted by an artist, and Alex didn't disappoint in any way.

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Abigail P

When we were deciding on a wedding photographer, all we knew for sure was that we wanted someone that didn't do the normal cheesy posed stuff, but rather was there to just be a guest, more or less, and document the things that happened throughout the day without trying to set up... Read More posed photos. Obviously we wanted family photos, and those have to be posted, but aside from that, he was amazing getting pictures of the actual laughing and smiling (and crying!). He was very easy to work with, and due to us not having a wedding planner, he basically doubled as a planner as well, making sure we were on schedule and coordinating everything with the DJ. We are so happy with the pictures and album he delivered. I would definitely recommend Alex to anyone that might have similar priorities as we did for our wedding day. -Abby

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Brandon B

Big fan of Alex! My wife and I made the decision to move our wedding up and go for a much smaller, more laid-back ceremony in the hills of Los Angeles. We found Alex early on in our search for a photographer, and we hit it off instantly. His style was exactly what we were... Read More looking for, and he jumped in super short notice to be there and document the day. We sent him some samples of photos we liked, and he absolutely delivered. Everyone compliments our photos from the day, and Alex was courteous and easy to work with. So glad we chose to work with him!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Hugo G

One of the best decisions we made for our wedding was hiring Alex Maxwell as our wedding photographer. Pictures are permanent, so we recognized the gravity of the decision when choosing the right wedding photographer. We went through at least 40 or so professional photographers... Read More who were, frankly, super boring. When we saw Alex's website, it was pretty much an instantaneous "YES." His previous work showed that he didn't just shoot standard wedding photos: he captured a full range of emotions, vibes, and moments that make every wedding particularly unique. He was able to capture the excitement of our guests, the formality of our ceremony, and the moments between my wife and I (not to mention some great shots of our raging dance reception). Our wedding got unexpectedly rained-out on, and it was not an issue for Alex. He remained cool and collected and completely revised all our shots with the unfavorable weather, on short notice. He turned what would have otherwise been a grim and grey skyline into a super light-hearted wedding party photo punctuated by colorful umbrellas. It was his idea. We still talk about this. Ultimately, Alex is a remarkable photographer and super nice guy who will work with you on your vision of your ideal wedding photos. Keep in mind that what sets him apart is his style of making real moments look captivating. Hire him before Vanity Fair does.

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Kaylynn H

Alex was perfect! We wanted more than the typical posed shots & Alex delivered. Our wedding photos are great & much more art than Sears photo studio. Super talented & perfectly easy to work with. I would recommend Alex to anyone looking for truly unique & beautiful wedding... Read More shots.

Alex Maxwell

Lover of all things travel and all things photo. I'm fortunate enough that often times my work lets me combine the two.