Allen Waterford Photography

Fun, artistic, in-the-moment

Serving All Michigan, MI

Run FAR Away

Reviewed on 4/23/2015 Anonymous A

PLEASE do not trust the below reviews as they are most likely fabricated. This man ruined a brides wedding day and everyone in the wedding party and all the guests are witnesses. He made the bride cry, threatened her and the groom and refused to take any pictures they wanted because they weren't "his idea." I beg you, if you make any decision for your wedding do NOT trust this person. He will lie and not provide. We all felt so bad that the bride did not get the pictures she wanted on her wedding day. What a disappointment and a day the couple will not get back.

Beautiful Photojournalistic Style

Reviewed on 3/04/2014 Erin M

Allen is a very thoughtful person who tries to make a thorough and real connection with his bride. I trusted him to capture the special moments and unique spirit of my big day and he did a beautiful job. He delivered more than was promised and expected.

Capturing the Essence of the Day

Reviewed on 2/23/2014 Maggie B

We had our wedding ceremony and reception in Michigan, but live out of town. Allen made our planning easy as he is very thorough with communicating expectations and discussing how he could personalize our big day. He was open to different scenes/backgrounds for our engagement session and delivered these photographs beautifully. The week before our wedding, we went over the timeline and a list of priorities I had for formals while allowing him to also incorporate his creativity into these photos. Allen and his assistant were punctual the day of the wedding and knew how to direct the wedding party in order to stay on task while also capturing the moment. I cannot express enough how amazing the quality of the pictures were. The location of the church my husband and I got married in has sentimental value, which he portrayed perfectly so that we can continue to live this day over and over again. The wedding party had plenty of time to let loose and take fun pictures on the beach and pier, which were some of my favorites of the day. My husband and I in addition to both of our families were able to review the pictures with ease approximately 2 months after our wedding. Allen and his staff have given all of their efforts in creating a memorable wedding album for us and was more than willing to adjust even the tiniest details to have us relive this wonderful experience every time we look through the photos.

Friendly, fun and dynamic!

Reviewed on 2/06/2014

From the beginning, Allen was very professional to work with. The planning and organizing was both easy and detailed. He offered a very good sense of things to consider including time management, picture ideas, and how to be prepared. It is clear that Allen's focus is particularly wedding photography, which made us feel comfortable when compared to other photographers who seem more broad. He is both technical and personal, and we found that through our initial discussions that he was truly interested in who we were and what we desired. Leading up to the wedding, Allen was flexible and easy to contact. He confirmed the locations and time to ensure he was where he needed to be, which made the day a bit more worry free. On the day of our wedding, Allen arrived on time and was friendly and accommodating. His ideas and ability to work with the dynamics of a wedding (always some new changes along the way) made him very easy to work with. I have to admit, we aren't a couple who feels overly photogenic... yet Allen made it extremely comfortable and we couldn't have felt more relaxed. He captured a great combination of formal and candid photos, which is exactly what we requested. He is a down to earth guy, enjoys making a friendship, and is honestly looking to capture your day exactly as you'd like him to.

Professional + Genuine = Carefree Wedding :)

Reviewed on 2/05/2014 Anna L

My experience working with Allen was, in a word, carefree. Wedding planning was overwhelming as I wanted to get married in my hometown and my fiancée and I lived 1,200 miles away. Although not typically one to stress out, it was definitely stressful trying to coordinate with vendors and make decisions from such a great distance and across time zones! I thought the most challenging decision would be in choosing a photographer because my main priority (besides my dress) was ensuring that I had beautiful pictures to last me for the next 50 years. After looking at several different photographer’s work and speaking with Allen on the phone, it was a no-brainer. From the beginning, working with Allen was the easiest part of my planning. He was very flexible with my work schedule and we were able to communicate after regular business hours if needed as well as through email. He was very genuine and kind and I appreciated the fact that he was very focused on what my fiancée and I wanted. Since I don’t have the first clue about photography, he was very patient in answering any questions that I had and offering advice when I asked for it. The emotions on the day of the wedding were something I can’t explain. I honestly wasn’t focused on anything but enjoying myself, and that was due in large part to how confident I was in Allen’s abilities. Allen was completely professional and had an innate sense of when he needed to set up a shot and when to keep things candid: I truly don’t know how he did it. He was very respectful and polite, even when trying to corral the families together for large, formal pictures (which was something I couldn’t have done – and they’re MY family!). All in all, Allen is truly an artist not only in his ability to perfectly capture the emotions of the day but also in working with people. I sincerely doubt anyone else could have provided me with the reassurance I needed during the wedding planning process, let alone the quality of the pictures I have of my day. My day was completely flawless and I am thankful that Allen was able to capture every moment.

Delivers on promises and product!

Reviewed on 12/21/2013 Michelle R

We hired Allen in 2012 for our 2013 Fall wedding. We originally hired him due to his flexibility in accomodating our wedding location (4 hours up north), his work product/portfolio and his competetive pricing. Through time we had the pleasure of getting to know him and working with him on our engagement photos and our wedding photos. He has always followed through with his promises, personable to work with (displaying integrity and honesty), and produces a great work product. We just got our wedding photos and we are very pleased with how they turned out and couldn't wait to share them with our friends and family!

Wonderful

Reviewed on 10/17/2013 Kasie V

Working with Allen was just a pleasure. I study Art, so the photographs for my wedding was one of the most important items on my list. Our wedding reception, and the majority of our photos, were also outside, which is not always easy or predictable. But Allen did a great job! Leading up to the wedding, he and I spoke on the phone several times, and he was absolutely amazing. I was planning a wedding from outside the state, and so I couldn't meet with him until the day of. Thankfully, he was just as amazing in person as on the phone. He really did everything he could to make sure that we got the photos we wanted. He also kept in touch right before the wedding, even helping me with last minute scheduling and planning, giving me advice from his vast experience of past weddings. I would definitely recommend him to anyone!

Great Photographer!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Alyssa S

Allen was the first photographer that I got in contact with for our wedding, and I was planning on just shopping around for a while. However, when I got on the phone with him, he was so friendly that I felt that he was definitely supposed to be our wedding photographer, so I booked him right then! He is obviously a very talented artist that is devoted to his craft. He made sure that we were getting the shots that we wanted during our wedding, and he could pick out fun creative shots that we wouldn't have thought of. He went above and beyond for us, and continued to have good customer service both before and after the wedding. If we ever had any questions or concerns, Allen was quick to address them, as he is very customer oriented. He was extremely helpful with his suggestions for the timeline of the day for our photos, and encouraged us to do "first look" photos, which we are very happy that we did! Allen is also very "go with the flow" (as am I)so we worked very well together. If you want a photographer that will be concerned with the quality of his craft and making sure that you are happy with the pictures, I would recommend Allen Waterford!

Wonderful!

Reviewed on 10/05/2013 Chelsea c

Allen was a joy to work with. I had spent a lot of time looking for a wedding photographer, but I knew after looking at his work and speaking with him over the phone, that he would be perfect for our big day. He and his team were great to work with- being very timely with returning phone calls and emails. Allen is very honest and aims to truly make you happy, ensuring that you get all of the memories and special moments are captured. I couldn't have asked for a more professional, kind, funny, and talented photographer to work with.

Fantastic!

Reviewed on 9/22/2013 K C

Allen and his assistant were very professional and took care of every detail on our wedding day. We spoke a number of times prior to our wedding date, which was out of town, and we felt immediately at ease with Allen. He's so wonderful to work with, ensured all of our questions were answered, our needs were met, and took fantastic pictures. My husband and I are very happy with our pictures, we couldn't have found a better photographer!!

100% Satisfied!

Reviewed on 8/30/2013 Kriste R

I simply can't express how satisfied I was with our wedding photographer, Allen Waterford! As a photography enthusiast specializing in nature and landscapes, I know that it is very easy to pick up a camera and take photos, but it takes experience and an eye for composure to get those special shots. With his years of experience, Allen has mastered the most difficult concepts, exposure, lighting and composure. While in the process of selecting a wedding photographer, I knew the style I was looking for, and yes, I am very finicky about composure, but I was having a difficult time finding someone who was the perfect fit. Their portfolios looked like shots that I could easily compose and capture. I wanted more. That's when I turned to The Knot for help. Within 5 minutes I found myself on Allen's page and was immediately impressed! I sent him an email and within 4 hours he returned my call and we had a phone consult, lucky for me, he was still available for my wedding day! In the months leading up to the wedding, Allen was very thorough, always keeping in contact and inquiring about details of the wedding and what was important to us and getting a general feel for our personalities. On Wedding Day, Allen was prompt, courteous, and efficient. He was not the obtrusive type, in fact, except for our formal shots, you hardly noticed that he was even there! It was like he was the invisible man with the camera that captured every moment of our day! And yes, our wedding photos were everything that I had imagined them to be! Kriste & Dale Hollenbaugh

Truly Amazing!

Reviewed on 12/22/2012 Samantha

I honestly cannot even express how lucky I feel to have worked with Allen and had him as my wedding photographer! He was everything that I hoped for and more. Having amazing photos from my wedding was at the top of my priority list and Allen exceeded my expectations! From the moment we had our first phone conversation, I knew I had made the best decision. He made us feel so comfortable and at ease. We spoke several times before the wedding, going over the time line and anything else we had questions on. I never felt stressed or worried; I knew Allen would take care of everything. On our wedding day, Allen and his assistant arrived early to ensure everything was perfect. He kept to our time schedule, was professional and SO much fun! His ability to capture our vision was unbelievable. He has such a true talent and creates such beautiful art! He was able to take such great shots without at all being intrusive. I feel as though I cannot thank him enough for all of his hard work and dedication to making sure we were happy and satisfied with this whole process. If having amazing wedding photos are important to you – then I highly recommend Allen, you will not be disappointed!

Great photos and great service!

Reviewed on 11/25/2012 Kirsten S

Like most other brides I looked through a lot of different photographer web-sites and met with quite a few photographers. I loved the photos that I saw on Allen's website and as soon as I talked with him about his services I was comfortable and that he was the photographer for us. He is honest, straightforward and most importantly an excellent photographer. Allen ensured that I had the photos that I wanted but most importantly his artistic eye captured photos that I could never have thought of. A beautiful mixture of artistic and photojournalism shots to capture our day. I would recommend Allen Waterford to any bride who is looking to capture their wedding day.

Outstanding

Reviewed on 11/03/2012 Jessie s

Our second choice, after saying yes!, was deciding on our photographer. Photos are the story told long after the “big day”. We found Allen on “the knot” and our first conversation we spoke for a couple of hours. Thereafter an hour at a time, to make sure he knew just what we wanted. Allen is a true, artistic photographer. He sought out locations on the property that proved to be stunning. Allen is professional and will keep your day moving just on schedule. He will always make sure you’re happy. Choosing Allen proved to be a success; you will LOVE your photos if you’re privileged enough to work with him!

Awesome Photographer!

Reviewed on 11/02/2012 Dawn S

I love my photographs! You should hire Allen if you appreciate photography that makes you think wholesome, natural and beautiful. He truly appreciates capturing those candid moments and makes it look easy. Allen, himself, is great to work with. He is very attentive to what you envision and what is important to you. You can tell he appreciates getting to know his clients so that he may capture their essence. Allen is easy going and unobtrusive and in reality can forget he is there. During posed shots he provides helpful instruction to make you feel more comfortable being photographed, make the process “flow and feel in the moment”. I definitely recommend Allen Waterford.

Simply the best....

Reviewed on 9/24/2012 Brooke S

I am going to keep this short and sweet, because I know there are a few key things you are looking for in this review. Photo quality: Amazing! We had our engagement photos and wedding photos done by Allen. They are gorgeous and we really got more than we could have imagined. They look like something out of a high fashion magazine, which is what I wanted. Cost: You get what you pay for, everyone knows that!! We got exceptional photos and service from Allen and his staff. Flexibility: I know you are expecting your wedding day to go smoothly, but lets be honest, there are always some bumps in the road. Allen was patient with my bridesmaids and me when we were running behind getting our makeup done and getting dressed. Also, I'd like to mention that he was more than understanding when I had a sassy and rude bridesmaid that wanted to put her two cents into everything. He wasn't bothered by her and kept us all on track. Ceremony/reception: it's funny because after our formal pictures, I barely remember having my photo taken. However, we have several great shots of the evening. Allen and his assistant didn't miss a beat. I loved it even more because we didn't feel "bothered" by our photographer and we were so impressed by the quality and quantity of pics we received. Communication: this is an important one! Throughout the duration of our engagement and wedding process Allen and Karen kept us informed and always replied to emails and phone calls promptly. I was so grateful for this, I was an organized bride and I always wanted to get updates and keep them updated. First look: What is this!? This is where you and your groom see each other before the ceremony. TRUST ME, I was totally against this, but Allen talked me into it and it was the best decision I have ever made. You get to spend some time with your groom alone once he first sees you, and it is awesome!! Also, it gave us the time to do our formal pics before the ceremony and we were able to enjoy our cocktail hour and mingle with our guests. DO IT!! Last thought: You won't regret choosing Allen to do your wedding photos. He has a true passion for what he does and is able to easily capture the true emotion of your wedding day. If pictures are important to you, then this is your man and the search ends here.

AMAZING!!!!!

Reviewed on 8/23/2012 Stephanie M

I am from Michigan but live in Texas now so planning a wedding from across the country definitely had its difficulties. The easiest and single best decision I did was choose Allen Waterford as our photographer! When I called Allen Waterford, I felt that we just hit it off and clicked immediately. Between him and Karen, they made me feel so comfortable and important. They were super attentive and responded so quickly with any questions I had. He asked me about what I want and what I envision for my special day. He was so attentive and genuinely cared about everything I was saying. We never felt like just another wedding or just a job he needs to do. I think the best way to describe Allen is passionate about his work which is why he takes it seriously and has that special knack for details. He feels his pictures and I can see it in all of his work he did for us. Thank you Allen Waterford for AMAZING pictures… you definitely exceeded ALL expectations!! I would recommend Allen to anyone getting married – you won’t be disappointed!!

Excellence and Beyond

Reviewed on 8/14/2012 Danielle F

Allen and his staff are the best to work with!!! They are very professional, fun, and will do what ever it takes to make your day perfect in every way! I have saw my pictures and it was like re-living the day all over again - very beautiful! I even had problems in the family (medical and communication) and he was more than willing to acommodate for them as well. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone who is getting married or know anyone who is getting married!

Best Photographer...EVER!

Reviewed on 7/31/2012 Ashleigh B

Allen Waterford is absolutely amazing at his craft. Not only does he produce amazing photos, shot after shot, but he has the people skills and professional understanding necessary to be a fantastic wedding photojournalist. Allen captures the moment in a way that only someone who lives their art, can. Allen was attentive and easy to work with. He fostered a personal connection with us as a couple and understood what made us unique. He was able to magnify our personality in a beautiful way and our engagement and wedding photographs are truly spectacular. From our first phone conversation, I knew I had to have Allen as our photographer. He was easy to talk to, honest and attentive, and truly interested in what I envisioned for my wedding day. During our engagement shoot, Allen made us feel at ease. He took the extra time to make us feel special and when we drove away from our shoot, we knew we made the right choice. Allen played a huge part in making our wedding day flawless. He was organized, on time, and ready for anything. He followed the timeline we discussed perfectly and worked well with our large wedding party and family. He recognized the shots that were important to us, but caught incredible in-the-moment shots that we could have never imagined capturing. Allen is very good at drawing out natural and organic moments with the bride and groom, the wedding party, and guests. Allen does an amazing job at blending into the background while not impeding the ceremony or reception. Allen is intuitive and a master of his craft. Anyone would be lucky to have him as their wedding photojournalist. I would recommend him to every bride.

100% Recommended!

Reviewed on 7/06/2012 Amy S

From the very first time my fiancee and I spoke with Allen on the phone, we were impressed with his accessibility, his professionalism, and how much he already cared about our wedding pictures and making them as amazing as he could for us. Since we were planning our wedding from out of state, we did most of our communication via phone and email, but anytime we had a question, Allen or Karen would get back to us almost immediately. On the day of the wedding, Allen showed up to our venue 2 hours early just to make sure that the lighting was perfect, and he spent as much time as was needed to get the perfect shots without making my husband and I feel rushed or stressed in any way. He was able to handle a relatively large wedding party with professionalism and humor, and his assistant did a great job encouraging everyone and keeping everyone's energy up. I loved that he showed us some of the pictures as he was taking them, so we could see how awesome they were turning out. And he took some amazingly creative shots that we would never have thought of, but that turned out to be some of our favorites of the whole day. Even after the wedding, Allen stayed in contact with us, always making sure that we were comfortable with the process and making sure all our questions were answered. From beginning to end Allen was attentive, detail-oriented, and artistic, and as equally committed to the quality of his photographs as he was to ensuring my husband and I had an unforgettable experience.

Remarkable Photographer

Reviewed on 6/21/2012 Betty S

When planning the wedding of your dreams, there are some key factors that come to mind. By far, the most important for us was the photography. Why? Because pictures last a lifetime. Pictures have this ability to take you back to that moment. It evokes those feelings you had and allows you to re-live the beauty again. Allen has given us the beautiful gift of capturing one of the most unforgettable moments in our lives that will last forever. What an incredible feeling it gives us! From the very first conversation I had with Allen, I knew we found who we were looking for. It was tough to plan our wedding from out of state and Allen made our decision very easy for us. We wanted to make sure the person we chose would live up to our expectations. Allen exceeded every expectation! He appealed to my OCD side because he was so organized, had many questions to get to know us and what our preferences were, and was very thorough during the entire process. It was refreshing to encounter someone with fantastic customer service skills, wonderful personality, someone who has a passion for his work, and the quality of his work blew us away. Allen was there for us from the very beginning all the way through the wedding day. Allen’s artistic approach is uncanny. His passion shows through in the beautiful pictures he took. I was in awe of his talent! In our opinion, Allen outshines all other photographers and we are so elated to have had him as ours. The day of the wedding, Allen was a breath of fresh air. He was so accommodating with the large bridal party, had the ability to give direction with ease, always made sure we were comfortable, and asked if we wanted anything else throughout the day. Words to describe Allen would include passionate, punctual, easy-going, experienced, has an eye for detail, attentive, and honest nature. We truly appreciate the work he did and would gladly recommend him to anyone we know.

Couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 6/20/2012 Whitney T

Allen by far exceded our expectations! We got married in my home state which we no longer live in, and I was concerned about everything going as planned. Him and I spoke on many occasions and he assured me everything would be great. (I needed this!) When we met, I felt totally comfortable with him as did our wedding party and our families. Allen encouraged us to be ourselves and have fun, and he truly captured us as a couple. We had a few requests for pictures (some of them last minute) and he just went with the flow and did as we asked. Allen is as fun and outgoing as he is professional. He made sure we got exactly what we wanted. His eye for beauty is out of this world! We could not be happier with Allen and the gorgeous pictures he took.

Could not be happier!!!

Reviewed on 6/02/2012 Alyson P

From the first time we meet with Allen until we got our pictures back from our wedding, we were so pleased with his professionalism and his willingness to take care of my fiancé and I. A few months before the wedding, Allen was in contact with us talking with us about certain details and made us feel very comfortable. The day of the wedding was very easy and simple because of the organization that Allen and his assistant had. We had a time scheduled that we had worked out in advanced and Allen did amazing at making sure we all stayed on schedule, so we would have time for all of our desired pictures. One of the biggest things that really made me (and many guests) happy was how discreet Allen and his assistant were during the wedding and reception. I never really noticed him during the wedding and only at select times during the reception (cake cutting, entrance, etc).Allen is a very laidback and outgoing person to work with. I loved looking at the pictures that Allen took and his awesome eye he has for capturing a great picture. We could not be happier with not just the results of our photos, but his professionalism before, during and after the wedding!

Flawless Photographer

Reviewed on 5/07/2012 Jennie R

Allen Waterford Photography is the way to go! From planning to event date, Allen and his staff work side by side to create the perfect photography experience. Allen is VERY thorough in planning every minute detail and follows through with everything that has been promised the day of your wedding. HIs assistant, Christina, was wonderful to work with but she is so stealth I barely knew she was there. I loved the professional attitude of Allen and his assistant throughout the entire process. The pictures are amazing and are a quality that is rare to find. I definitely would recommend to anyone the services of Allen and his staff for a flawless experience.

wonderful experience

Reviewed on 9/21/2011 Ashley H

Our experience with Allen Waterford was great! From the initial phone conversations I had with him, I knew we would work great together. Allen did a great job of taking our wants and preferences into consideration and did his best of making our wedding photography dreams come true! He collaborated well with us prior and after the wedding day to make sure we had everything we needed. Allen's experience with weddings helped us out immensely in being able to effectively schedule pictures and making sure we got all the shots that were important to us. His ideas were both artistic, creative, and beautiful (exactly what we wanted). Often he came up with new and fun ideas on the spot, which were amazingly beautiful and creative. Throughout the wedding day Allen and his wonderful assistant were kind and gracious to all of our guests and wedding party. His assistant did a great job of encouraging me, and being SO very sweet during the individual sessions. At the reception, Allen was everywhere taking great photos, however, his style was awesome in that he blended in and we were never overwhelmed by the photography. Our wedding day was one we will never forget, and Allen helped to make that day extra special for us.

TO Allen Waterford Photography