Amway Grand Plaza

Grand Rapids, MI

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Amway Grand Plaza

From the flawless catering to the exceptional decor, the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel's magical and unforgettable setting will surpass your expectations, and that of your guests. Call to reserve your enchanting date, or to inquire about hosting a reception in one of our private dining rooms.

$$$$ – Expensive

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Hotel, Restaurant

187 Monroe Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI

Amazing Day

Reviewed on 11/14/2012 Kari A

The Amway Grand Plaza is simply amazing. Everything from the food, service,and experience is top notch. Also, working with Grace and Amy made all the difference. They helped to make my wedding more than I ever could have dreamed of, and a day we will never forget. It has... Read More been 6 weeks since the event and guests are still talking about the venue and food.

First Class Hotel

Reviewed on 10/17/2012 Sonya S

My husband and I were pleased with the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We had our wedding ceremony in the elegant Gerald R. Ford Presidential Ballroom and reception in the stunning Pantlind Ballroom. The food, service, decor, etc were top notch. We are still getting rave reviews from... Read More our guests.

exactly what we hoped for:

Reviewed on 8/28/2012 Lisa P

From start to finish our experience at the Amway was superior. Beginning with Grace Hill and continuing with Jennifer May their commitment to work with us to create an elegant and warm experience for our daughter and son in law was exceptional...and the food was excellent!... Read More Most of our wedding guests were from out of town and they were impressed by the atmosphere, service, and amenities at the Amway. The location was great and our guests enjoyed being able to access the museums and other venues around town by foot. A wonderful week-end!

Reviewed on 2/10/2016

Facilities are beautiful. The food is excellent. But the staff is inattentive, dismissive, arrogant and unfriendly.

Above and Beyond Service!

Reviewed on 12/09/2015 Anna R

We reserved just a basic room at the Grand Plaza for our wedding night. I did make a note on our reservation letting them know it was our wedding night and that, while we did not expect anything, any special touches would obviously be appreciated. They went absolutely above and... Read More beyond, upgrading us, with no extra charge, to a tower sweet - one of the best rooms in the house. We ended up with a stunning full view of the city and a huge suite. It made our first night so much more special, and their thoughtfulness meant the world to us! We also ordered dinner and breakfast from roomservice and were blown away by how delicious their food was! Absolutely wonderful experience, providing a perfect ending to a perfect day :)

Beautiful!!

Reviewed on 11/10/2015 Katie L

The amway always does it right! We had gifts delivered to our guess and we were upgraded to a nicer room too! Beautiful views and we felt so fancy. I also thought the block prices were pretty affordable.

First night

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Melinda H

Great service, very classy, nice place to stay for first night as husband and wife

Amway Grand- the grandest hotel!

Reviewed on 9/29/2015 Kara M

We had our block of rooms for guests at Amway and at the Courtyard Marriott - which is owned by the same company. Our guests all had a GREAT stay, they were super easy to work with, and very clear about how to book rooms in the block. They definitely upgraded our hotel room,... Read More which was super nice of them! We had a beautiful corner room in the tower with a view of the river for our wedding night! What a view! They let my family members check in for us so we didn't have to wait in line at midnight (which I HIGHLY recommend you assign someone to do for your wedding night...there were 5 brides waiting to check in when we got there and we were just able to go right up to our room without waiting in line.) It was a WONDERFUL stay!

Grace was a pleasure to work with

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Miranda G

Grace is the wedding specialist at the Amway and she was truly the best person I worked with for the entire process. She answered all of my questions, over email in a very timely manner. She's a saint from how bothersome I must have gotten at some points.

Getting married?

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Miranda G

When checking in, my now husband said that it was our wedding day and they upgraded our room from a room on the Pantlind side to a suite on the tower side. The view was amazing! Grace was the best person I had worked with my entire planning process!

Upgraded

Reviewed on 8/25/2015 Miranda G

I worked with Grace and she was the most wonderful person to work with. She was very accommodating which made the process very painless. We had booked a room on the Pantlind side, but when my husband when to check in, they had upgraded us to a suite on the Tower side which are... Read More much nicer and newer. Couldn't ask for better service!

poor service, problems from the start

Reviewed on 8/16/2015 Kellie B

We had a room block at the Amway for our wedding. From the start, our guests had problems booking rooms. Our guests would call and be told that the hotel was full or the block was full (even though the wedding was over 6 months away), when in fact the hotel was not. I had to... Read More exchange countless calls and emails with the wedding coordinators and each time it would take days to find a solution. The experience we had at the hotel the weekend of the wedding was to say the least disappointing. They gave me a room with a children's bed for the night of my wedding (which I did not request, I do not have children). When I went to the front desk, I was told I had specifically requested that room (again, which I did not). So not only was I given a room I didn't request, the front desk staff accused me of lying about it. We were at the front desk for 3 hours checking in and waiting for them to find me a room (even though I had booked it 6 months in advance). Upon arriving at my rehearsal dinner, my guests complained of poor front desk and bell service, musty smelling rooms, dirty bathrooms, and countless other problems. There were numerous other problems that weekend - my room was never cleaned (we even called and requested it-no one showed up until the day we left), the bell staff was of no assistance even though we had 3 carts to bring up, I could keep going...I understand that hotels are busy and that human error happens, but what we experienced that weekend was extremely poor customer service, a major lack of attention to detail, and at times, treating guests disrespectfully. Also, over a month after my wedding, I have contacted the Amway 3 times to discuss my problems that weekend and no one has contacted me back. That shows how much they care about and respect their guests.

Excellent!

Reviewed on 8/16/2015 Kellie B

Caitlin and her staff at the spa were amazing. Caitlin was so helpful from the start, through the planning process, and the day of. They fit a larger group of us (12 women) and one unplanned person in the wedding. The whole staff was friendly and fun to work with. I worked with... Read More Rose for my trial and the day of, who was fun to talk with and amazing at her job!!

Excellent!

Reviewed on 8/16/2015 Kellie B

Caitlin and her staff at the spa were amazing!! Caitlin was great during the planning process - answering questions, coordinating the schedule, and being attentive to any changes. I worked with Rose for my trial and the day of and she was great. Rose was friendly and is amazing... Read More at her job. The spa was able to accommodate a bigger group (12 women) for the day of and they were even able to squeeze in one unplanned person. My dad had tripped the day before and had some bad bruises on his face so he asked Caitlin if there was anything they could do to help him. They airbrushed him and you couldn't even see the bruises! He was so happy with their work and thankful they were able to help him.

Wedding Extravaganza

Reviewed on 7/07/2015 Kaitlyn M

I cannot say enough about Katie Dietrich, our catering manager, and Grace Hill, our sales and reservations coordinator. Together and individually they pulled off the most special day of my life. To say they went above and beyond is an understatement. They genuinely cared... Read More about me, my family and my friends and made sure we were happy at all times. We booked the Pantlind Ballroom about a year in advance and from start to finish Katie and Grace were professional, personable, and extremely easy to work with. Amway Grand as a whole is the most accommodating hotel I have ever been to in the southwest Michigan area. From the valet boys and front desk staff, to the waitstaff, bartenders and chefs...everything was nothing but top notch at all times. If you book an event here, know you are in good, professional hands at all times. I will always highly recommend Amway Grand Plaza Hotel....and Katie Dietrich and Grace Hill! Talk about a DREAM TEAM! Absolutely wonderful!!

A Grand Rapids Native Dream Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 11/05/2014 Jen Z

The Amway is the equivalent of Bride Wars “The Plaza” for a Grand Rapids bride. I write this as my experience and not the standard experience with the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel and its staff. To the good: • The rooms blocked for our guests were to be cheaper than anywhere else... Read More during Art Prize. • We were able to book over a year in advance. • When we arrived to our cocktail hour, we were able to part take and were asked if we would like a drink. • Our banquet captain took great care of us throughout the whole evening. • The food was delicious. • The bar went from a full service upstairs to a beer and wine only bar downstairs after cocktail hour. • The bride and groom cake design was very nice and turned out well. • Our tower suite was wonderfully accommodating. To the not so great: • Our block of hotel rooms was not addressed by the main coordinator and caused us much embarrassment when family tried to reserve rooms and called us to say we had no block available. • For our taste testing, we selected dishes from the list in our packet. The day of our tasting, we were given the full menu, after already choosing what we thought our small list of options were. Also, each dinner comes with desert or a credit, something we learned after the fact, again. • We planned our wedding from another state and time zone. Both working a 6:30am-4:00pm job only ever caused email conversations, were there were huge confusions and weekend phone calls meetings. • Emails often were filled with errors in capitalizing or grammar. • In working with our linens, we were under the impression that the Amway would provide floor length linens for the dining. This ended up not being the case but thankfully the head events coordinator was able to step help us get the linens free of charge • I requested a list of rules that the Amway has so I could avoid any more confusion. Such a document did not exist because it would have some many points to make (from the catering manager). I stated that I did expect a place like the Amway to have such a document since my church had a minimum 7 page document with such limitations. • We were told we were late on a payment at the meeting we had two days before the wedding and that we would be charged our full estimated bill (~$4,000). This charge was supposed to be placed on our card that day and we were to get our bill to review and then settle the rest of the cost. After getting back from our honeymoon, our catering manager had not contacted us and there were no charges were on our credit card. We had to seek her out for an answer. She stated we would be credited, but did not say if it would be on the additional payment we were supposed to make or on the 1 ½ times the room cost we had already paid. • Our bride and groom cake was more than half cream cheese filling. We much would have preferred more than half cake. All in all, the main staff at the Amway were so wonderful to work with, as well as the events director. The space itself was great and not paying hourly for the bar was a great decision for our group of ~120. Our catering manager was overpaid for the service provided. From what I have heard from other brides and my vendors (seasoned in the Amway, but none interacting with this coordinator), other coordinators really do make this a great process and celebrate you. I pray that anyone who chooses to live out their childhood dream of an Amway reception gets the experience they are seeking.

Do yourself a favor....

Reviewed on 10/18/2014 Amanda L

We could not have had a better experience for our wedding weekend than we did with the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I contacted their wedding coordinator, Grace Hill, about 8 months prior to our wedding and she took care of us like it was her own wedding. She was responsive, honest,... Read More kind, and so easy to work with. She then assigned me to Katie Dietrich as my catering manager, and she was just as wonderful! Fast forward a few months.... From the moment my bridesmaids and I walked into our getting-ready suite, we were blown away. The suites on the tower side of the hotel had just been renovated and they were absolutely stunning. Even the helpful valet attendees and bellmen were such a pleasure to work with and would drop anything to help us with our things. We had our ceremony at our home church in Grand Rapids, but we immediately came back to the hotel for our reception in the Pantlind Ballroom. First and foremost, the room itself emanates an old-world, palace look-and-feel... almost like you are in Versailles, France! The gold-gilded ceilings and mirrored walls just sparkle when the lights are dimmed and you first walk in. The meal was not only hands-down the best wedding dinner I've ever had, but one of the best meals of all time! The food was warm, perfectly seasoned, and super fresh. Our servers were very attentive and handled our every need. Don't even get me started on that cake.. We had the red velvet cake with cream cheese filling AND a dark chocolate cake with peanut butter ganache filling. It was to DIE for and all of our guests were over the moon. The weekend was perfect, and I could not have hoped for a better wedding than the one we had. Thank you to every single person involved. I would recommend them to every Bride I meet for their own special day.

Wonderful Experience.

Reviewed on 8/12/2014 kiley h

It was a wonderful experience to stay there for the weekend of our wedding. It was dream come true!!

lovely service

Reviewed on 8/10/2014 Loretta H

great service loved it

Perfect Wedding Night Stay

Reviewed on 6/18/2014 Christine V

We stayed here for our wedding night and it was perfect! My fiance booked the romance packaged that included valet service, wine & truffles, and a gift card to use at the restaurant and room service. It was a beautiful room and view and we had a great time! Would recommend this... Read More to any newlyweds.

The Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 10/30/2013 Megan J

Did an excellent job of recreating a photo that we provided. Simple, elegant and delicious!

Felt like a Queen Staying at this Hotel

Reviewed on 10/07/2013 Andrea B

I'm so happy my husband and I decided to stay at Amway the night of our wedding. It is a beautiful hotel, and it's in a great location. The wedding specialist was wonderful! She booked our room for us and also booked our rooms for our guests. We were not from the area so we had... Read More to visit Grand Rapids a couple of times prior to the wedding, and Grace took great care of us each time we visited. I never had to book my own room or talk to anyone in the reservation department because Grace had everything set up for us before we arrived. Our guests, my husband, and I were very impressed with the hotel and staff.

Excellent Reception Venue

Reviewed on 10/03/2013 Judith A

We hosted our wedding reception in the Pantlind Ballroom on August 10, 2013, and everyone had a great time. During the planning phase, I worked primarily with Darrin, who is really an expert at what he does. He was businesslike, organized, and polite throughout the entire... Read More process. I don't live in Grand Rapids, so I wasn't able to meet in person until later in the process, but Darrin was extremely flexible and patient with all of the emails and phone calls leading up to our event, right down to last minute decisions and changes. The event execution went extremely smoothly - the setup crew arranged things nicely, the staff at Amway worked well with the florist and DJ, and the waitstaff and kitchen crew served an excellent meal for a large crowd of people. Our server for the evening was so prompt and kind - I wish I could recall her name! Also, the chef created a delicious, classic cake based on a picture that I had emailed to Darrin. The Amway is clean and well maintained, the rooms and common areas are historic and beautiful. Many of our guests were from out of town, and the Amway provided an excellent first impression of Grand Rapids. The discount room rate was a great value, and after some initial hangups with the booking website, guests had a positive experience. Selecting the Amway as your venue will certainly cost more than other Grand Rapids venues, however, if it is in your budget, or if you are able to adjust other areas of your budget, this historic and beautiful venue is worth the cost. Rather than stressing about details and coordination, you can leave it up to the staff at Amway, and they will pull together a lovely event for you. The Amway will provide a smooth and elegant experience for you and your guests!

Very nice

Reviewed on 6/30/2013 Krystyna S

We stayed here on our wedding night, and it was really lovely. Great suite, great views. Wine and chocolate were waiting for us in the room when we got there. I loved it.

Wedding Night Stay

Reviewed on 6/23/2013 Amy F

My husband surprised me with a stay at the Amway the night of our wedding. He emailed them and they even gave us a discounted rate!