Rockford, IL

Book Your Wedding with Anderson Japanese Gardens

A GARDEN IN ROCKFORD, IL

Dating back to 1978, the Garden was conceptualized and started as a private family garden for Rockford resident, John Anderson. It has since been gifted to the community and is a 501 ©(3) non-profit organization.  Since 2004, this venue has often been rated one of North America’s luxurious and beautiful Japanese gardens that continue to offer concierge-level of services to its clients.

From the carefully designed footpath into the garden to the location of each tree, it is without a doubt the ideal location for guests who love the great outdoors.

This 12-acre Garden features authentic Japanese architecture and provides world-class scenery to compliment any wedding ceremony or vow renewal.  It has the capacity to host intimate ceremonies with only a few guests, to larger ceremonies up to 220 guests.  After the ceremony, couples have the opportunity to capture stunning photographs throughout the twelve acres.

The site offers wedding packages at affordable rates. All weddings take place outdoors Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  The venue has small ceremony spaces as well as a large Pavilion, offering overhead heaters and a roof in the case of inclement weather.

No pets are allowed at the venue. Regular garden tours are provided to clients and potential couples who would want to have their wedding at the venue. A wedding coordinator is available to guide and help out with planning.

To make sure that couples have a private and intimate wedding, no two weddings are booked at the same time. Chair setup and takedown services are offered at the event.  The Gardens can refer you to several vendors in the area specializing in floral décor, photography and wedding planning.

Your Dreams Realized at Anderson Japanese Gardens

Anderson Japanese Gardens has been rated one of North America’s highest quality Japanese gardens since 2004. With over 12 acres of exquisite landscape, unique architecture, gentle streams, and plunging waterfalls, Anderson Gardens offers several unique wedding ceremony settings.

Garden

318 Spring Creek Rd., Rockford, IL (815) 316-3307
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 6/11/2015 Melissa S

I LOVED having my wedding here. I venture to say it was perfect. I got married the last day of May this year. The weather was perfect, so I had it in the Garden of Reflection. The grounds provided all of the flowers and greenery I needed aside from our bouquets and boutonnieres.... Read More The staff was very helpful the day of and set up the programs/bubbles/favors. It was simple, it was perfect, it was simply perfect :) It was an hour and a half away from my home, but well worth the drive. Thank you Anderson Japanese Gardens! I can't wait to come back and visit.

Reviewed on 8/05/2017 Emily I

The location is very pretty. However, the staff is not very punctual and my fiance and I waited 45 minutes to have a tour of the venue. When we had the tour, it was only 10 minutes and the questions we had weren't answered, price being one of them. Overall it was a very bad... Read More first impression and I would not want to put my wedding day in their hands.

Perfect Fall Wedding

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Courtnay S

My husband and I knew we wanted to get married outdoors in the fall. We had fallen in love with Anderson in the past and it was the top choice for our wedding. Although it is a bit pricey, we compromised with the earlier, slightly cheaper, Saturday afternoon slot which turned... Read More out to be perfect in fall as far as lighting and temperature. Sara (and Kara) were incredibly helpful over email answering all of our questions leading up to our wedding. Those who coordinated and helped the day of made sure everything ran smoothly and we were all on time. We were given two hours in the gardens which I was worried wouldn't be enough time but it turned out to be great. We were allowed to show up early before the ceremony to get ready and take pictures and we used the time after the ceremony to run through the gardens with the wedding party to take photos. Our guests were also allowed to roam the gardens after the ceremony for a while and everyone we talked to said they enjoyed it immensely. Although we didn't need them for the ceremony, the heaters in the pavilion were a life-saver during the rehearsal and are a great safety net for anyone considering a wedding at Anderson during potentially cold weather...they really work! Overall we are very please with our ceremony, it couldn't have been better :)

Beautiful Gardens!!

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Amy S

The gardens were so lovely and created the perfect backdrop for our ceremony. Our photographs turned out gorgeous as well! Our guests also loved touring the gardens after our ceremony.

Beauty beyond words

Reviewed on 6/29/2015 Brittany F

My ceremony was gorgeous, and I am thrilled to say that I was married at such a lovely location! Staff was indeed very helpful, but the thing I didn't like was that people were walking on trails behind the pavilion during my ceremony and they may end up in my pictures... i was... Read More told the trail was supposed to be closed, but overall my wedding was perfect, and I want to send a huge shout out to Sara for making everything a smooth process. Our guide for while we took pictures was truly wonderdul as well, so a big thank to him too! Actually all 3 of my helpers were so nice, and just wanted everything to be perfect for me, and I cant thank them enough for that:)

The Perfect Place for a Ceremony!

Reviewed on 6/22/2015 Molly R

We were so happy we decided to use Anderson Japanese Gardens for our wedding ceremony! The staff is so friendly, helpful, organized, accommodating, and always attentive to emails! The venue is BEAUTIFUL! In fact, it's so beautiful you have no reason to spend money on extra... Read More details like accent flowers or decor. After the ceremony, our guests really enjoyed being able to explore the gardens and take pictures. Speaking of pictures, our pre and post ceremony pictures are AMAZING! The gardens are the perfect backdrop. This venue was well worth the money!

Bride

Reviewed on 5/26/2015 jennifer r

The garden grounds are gorgeous. My complaint is with the staff, as we felt rush the entire weekend. We paid $2500 to use the garden for 2 hours. My ceremony was at most 10 minutes. On the day of the Wedding I wanted to take 2 big family photos right outside of the pavilion... Read More after the ceremony. After the first one was completed, an attended told me we needed to move along as I was not going to have time to do photos around the garden. We listen to them, as they are suppose to be the "experts". And by the time I was done with the photos around the garden, I still had half an hour to use. I would have had plenty of time to take the family photos like I wanted to. But really I think they wanted us out of the pavilion to set up for the next wedding. I was very disappointed in the staff and they way they were rushing us out of the pavilion area.

2015-06-05T13:40:40 Response from the vendor

Jennifer- Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are sorry to hear that you felt rushed as that is not the goal or standard we aim for with our bridal couples. We are sorry to hear you had a poor experience, but appreciate you... Read Less Read More

Wonderful Time

Reviewed on 5/20/2015 Lisa W

Some relevant background information: Our wedding was originally planned on a late Sunday afternoon just after the gardens closed. Due to personal circumstances limiting our options, our wedding also happened to fall on Mother's Day. The gardens ended up extending their... Read More opening hours so the gardens were actually open during our ceremony. At first we were very concerned, as it was a beautiful garden and mothers day we expected a lot of traffic and didn't want pedestrians crossing through our ceremony! They gave us a discount for the trouble but honestly it ended up being no problem at all. The staff was amazing, courteous and was able to keep our ceremony private and peaceful. Everything ran so smoothly I was able to relax and enjoy it all. (Not to mention the bridal preparation room was beautiful. While I had a very small bridal party the room was large enough to accommodate plenty of girls) All of our guests commented on how perfect and beautiful the gardens were. I received a lot of praise for "finding the best ceremony location possible" but I think the credit should really go to the staff and caretakers. They really do an amazing job.

2015-05-21T08:15:36 Response from the vendor

We are so glad you enjoyed your wedding with us. We are honored to hear such positive reviews and comments from you and your guests. Thank you for choosing Anderson Japanese Gardens!

Perfect wedding venue!

Reviewed on 10/20/2014 Jamie V

My wedding day was absolutely perfect and I credit so much of that to Anderson Gardens. Not only is it the most beautiful location I have ever seen, but the staff is also so helpful and amazing! I 100% recommend Anderson Gardens to anyone looking for a beautiful outdoor... Read More wedding!

Beautiful Place for your wedding!

Reviewed on 10/03/2014

I can't say enough about Anderson Japanese Gardens where me and my wife got married on 9/27/14. The location was gorgeous, the staff was very helpful and all of our guests were amazed by how beautiful the gardens we're. Great value for the money as well. Very Pleased!!

Anderson's Rocked

Reviewed on 10/02/2014 MARY H

Anderson's was perfection. It was worth the cost. It was beautiful and the staff was amazing. I didn't have to worry about a thing and everything went off without a hitch. I could not have asked for more.

Beautiful

Reviewed on 7/28/2014 Christina R

I had my wedding ceremony at Anderson Gardens. The gardens it's self is beautiful and the event coordinator that you work with is wonderful. The only downfall was the night of rehearsal and the day of the ceremony we did not get to deal with the event coordinator but 3 other... Read More people that work there. These 3 did not know exactly what they were doing and were quite confused. Luckily towards the end of the rehearsal things were getting figured out and everything was coming together. I was a little disappointed on the day of the wedding when we were trying to get ready to get pictures taken the girls did not take initiative and completely disappeared leaving me and my bridesmaids waiting to see where we could take pictures. Although the gardens are beautiful and the ceremony did turn out wonderful, I wish that there would have been more guidance and things would have gone smoother.

Reviewed on 7/17/2014 Samantha L

The Anderson Japanese Gardens were absolutely beautiful for my wedding! We were able to get fantastic pictures, and the staff that waited on us did an incredible job and were very professional. The gardens is the best place to have an outside wedding, and I would recommend an... Read More evening wedding for those who want a more private ceremony. All in all, the Anderson Japanese Gardens exceeded my expectations and gave me the wedding of my dreams.

Anderson Japanese Gardens Pavilion Ceremony

Reviewed on 7/02/2014

I absolutely loved everything about my ceremony at Anderson Japanese Gardens under the Pavilion. You can't go wrong if you want an outside wedding. The price is reasonable considering how beautiful everything is and the amount of time guests get to spend walking around exploring... Read More the gardens after the ceremony. You can't go wrong. I am so happy with how everything went and wouldn't change anything about my day!

Anderson Gardens Wedding

Reviewed on 6/05/2014

I met Sara Johnson a few weeks ago but have been working with her several months before our wedding. She was always responsive and helpful with questions that came up along the way. We were able to walk through the gardens along the path my guest would walk to get to the... Read More waterfall. Everything was explained as to what would happen for the wedding day. When the wedding day came it was a mad rush to get pictures and see the families. Sara and her staff took care of all the details and made the whole process a lot easier. I can't thank them enough for all the help they provided. The venue was awesome. We had the ceremony at the west waterfall and it was breathtaking. If I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing. This is a picture perfect place to get married. Thanks again for everything. David and Ginny B.

Best decision!

Reviewed on 11/06/2013 ANNE S

If you just got engaged, save a little extra money to have your ceremony at Anderson Gardens. It is worth the extra cost (over your church). We got married in October and our pictures are incredible! The scenery is amazing. Pay for a good photographer to capture all the... Read More amazing picture opportunities here. Their staff is helpful and very easy to work with. They know what they are doing there!

Gorgeous Venue, Professional Staff, Great Value!!!

Reviewed on 10/27/2013 Tiffany M

We had our dream wedding at Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford IL! Everyone asked us why we picked Rockford and not Chicago for our venue, but as soon as they arrived they understood immediately. The gardens are absolutely GORGEOUS. We specifically chose an October date so we... Read More could have a backdrop of color. We were also able to get a great discount on the fee for choosing a Friday date. We went through a few different customer service reps as the garden was going through a staff transition around the time we booked, so there was a bit of confusion about some of the things we had asked about as far as what was permitted, but in the end we worked with Sara Johnson through most of the planning and she answered all of our inquiries quickly and provided very good customer service. The staff was very helpful in organizing the rehearsal and making sure that everyone knew where to go and what to do, and also in keeping everything on schedule. We had a great experience!

Anderson Japanese Gardens is beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/18/2013 Amanda P

Anderson Japanese Gardens is a traditional, Japanese Gardens in Rockford, Illinois. While the venue is absolutely beautiful, it can be pricey. The venue requires that you use their catering service so that is what makes the total cost of service so high. Overall, the venue and... Read More food were perfect. I could not have asked for a better day and would say the expense was quite worth it.

Wedding Ceremony

Reviewed on 10/10/2013

Excellent service and scenery. Very willing to work with and provide us with what we wanted for our wedding day!

Amazing

Reviewed on 8/16/2013 Nicholas H

They made us (both grooms) feel like Kings here. They were very thorough and informative. There are SO many options for what can happen if you want it, but for those of us who don't have a perfect vision, they give tons of wonderful advice that was so very helpful. They were... Read More very accommodating to every request we made. On the big day, they were always around when we needed it but weren't hovering or being a bother. They took us around after the ceremony and pointed out the good places to get pictures. These pictures all ended up wonderfully, due, in large part, to the advice of the staff. She is a little gruff and matter of fact, but the crocs wearing grannie was spectacular through it all. We were blessed to have each member of their team working with us throughout it all! I was, personally, very worried that we would step on toes considering how well they take care of their gardens. Not only did they not bother us with any concerns they may or may not have had, they were NOTHING but positive and helpful throughout the process. We were considering another, less expensive, venue. I am SO very glad we went with AJG, and so were all of our guests who were just floored with the beauty.

Reviewed on 8/02/2013 Mary T

Wonderful setting, wonderful staff!! I can't say enough how happy we were with our choice to have our ceremony at Anderson Japanese Gardens!

Reviewed on 7/08/2013 Aida M

This is an awesome location for a wedding especially if you have out of town guests and need something for them to do between the ceremony and the cocktail hour and dinner. Our guests raved about the gardens and about feeding the koi fish. The AJG staff was very helpful and... Read More professional. I enjoyed working with Sara Johnson at the gardens. I highly recommend having your wedding or any other special event at the Anderson Japanese Gardens.

Beautiful!

Reviewed on 7/08/2013 Rachel

The venue was gorgeous! I had a difficult time with the amount of staff changes we went through. I'm not sure what was happening, but we made plans with 3 different event planners at the Anderson Gardens before our wedding day and that was a hassle. Other than that, they sorted... Read More out all the details for me and were extremely helpful with all the planning!

Anderson Gardens

Reviewed on 6/24/2013 Stephanie S

I could not have wished for a more beautiful place to have a ceremony! The staff were very helpful from the beginning planning to the very day. I love this place and would suggest it to any bride looking to get married and not have a worry at all.

The most gorgeous wedding space in Rockford!

Reviewed on 8/14/2012 Laura P

I give this venue five stars because everything turned out BEAUTIFULLY. Our guests were wowed by the gorgeous gardens and the beautiful reception space. However, I will warn you that if you are a bride with a vision (and you don't simply want to follow the cookie-cutter layout... Read More and plans that they suggest to you ...), do not be discouraged if you are initially met with some resistance from the staff. The food is FANTASTIC and the catering staff (which is the staff you'll deal with on the day of your wedding) is absolutely PHENOMENAL. The venue is pricey, but this is an absolute gem in Rockford. We are so, so happy to have had our celebration here!