Your wedding should be fun.

Have you felt it? At some point, most weddings go from “fun and creative” to “annoying hard work.” Backthird takes the annoying off your plate so you can get back to the personal. A short call with someone you can trust gets you a plan with DJ, uplighting, live jazz or pop strings – all personalized to you. Then, focus on the songs and ideas YOU want - and watch us make them shine.

Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Indian, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World Music

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100

127 S. First St., Geneva, IL greater Chicago area (630) 264-2366

Reviewed on 11/14/2017 Edward H

I was assigned the task of finding a DJ for our wedding and after researching for a couple days landed on Backthird. I have to say they were one of the best vendors of our entire wedding. While our florist and quartet were MIA and impossible to reach throughout the planning... Read More process, Stephen at Backthird was always available and excited to talk details. Their web-based platform is easy to use and super convenient, and after meeting Stephen just once, he had everything down to the T. Stephen had great energy as an MC and all of our guests loved him. He was mindful in getting name pronunciations down accurately and remained close by all night to make sure everything was perfect. I highly recommend Backthird and if you can, request Stephen. From up lighting, to helping the quartet and ceremony with outdoor sound, Backthird did it all for us and their pricing is very reasonable. You really can't do anybetter than Backthird. 5-stars all day.

Reviewed on 11/10/2017 Amanda G

Backthird was a preferred vendor for our venue, and for good reason! They were wonderful and they knew their way around the venue, so we were not in the least bit worried. We had a DJ for music during the ceremony and reception as well as a photobooth. Our DJ was DJ Keaton... Read More Michael and he was amazing! We are definitely not your cookie cutter couple and I knew as soon as we chatted that we were going to have a great event and that he understood what we were all about. Unfortunately, our guests started leaving before the party really got started, but he was sure to go around and get requests to try and get people on the floor. He truly made our wedding the best that he could and was very creative in his suggestions for music. We highly recommend DJ Keaton for couples who are a bit out of the box!

Reviewed on 8/14/2017 Allison N

I learned about Backthird through my brother, who had hired them for his wedding, and we immediately chose them as our DJ because we absolutely loved the fact that people were on the dance floor the entire night! Our own experience with Backthird was the same -- people were... Read More dancing from dinner until last call! The DJs are phenomenal at reading the guests and choosing songs that the most people are going to enjoy while also taking into consideration the musical taste of the bride and groom. Then on top of this, with both my own wedding and my brother's, the DJs were so helpful with coordinating events within the wedding and making sure that everything stays on track, while at the same time being flexible enough to ad-lib if something does not go as planned. During the final weeks leading up to your wedding, Backthird has you fill out a planner with all the events and songs that you would like at your reception, which I found super helpful because they also provide suggestions for those of us who can't make up our minds. Then in the week leading up to the wedding, your DJ will speak with you personally to make sure all the timeline is finalized, learn a bit about your preferences, and make sure that they are able to correctly pronounce all the names in your bridal party. I can't say enough good things about our experiences with Backthird and would recommend them to anyone wanting a fun DJ and lively dance floor at their wedding!

Reviewed on 3/03/2018 Rachel K

Being that music is such a big part of the foundation for the ambiance of a wedding, we took our music vendor selection seriously. Although quickly into the search the choice was very obvious. Backthird Entertainment was an immediate standout in every regard. Starting with our... Read More account manager, Robbie, he provides such a sense that everything will be handled exactly to our liking- and it was! We were paired with a pianist, Dan, for ceremony and cocktail hour. Dan is an unbelievably talented musician. The entirety of Dan’s playing was flawless, particularly his delivery of “Hallejuah” during the ceremony was profoundly moving. Our DJ pairing was Keaton and we can’t help but think of Keaton as a godsend! Keaton adapted impressively to anything that arose all the while maintaining just the right amount of personality and involvedness for our guests. Some of the highlights of the night stemmed from Keaton’s ability to provide a shameless dance floor and that’s not an easy thing to do! Thank you abundantly Backthird Entertainment, Dan and Keaton for providing the most highly recommended musical services for our big day.

Reviewed on 2/15/2018 Tani P

STEPHEN!!! We had the absolute best time at our wedding. Our wedding was small-only about 60 people, but Stephen kept people dancing the whole time and made the room feel like a dance party. There was a perfect span of decades and he timed the slower songs perfectly. He made... Read More every dedicated song feel so special. I cannot express how patient Stephen was with my husband and me throughout the process. He always checked in with us and made sure we were where we needed to be in the process in a very kind and encouraging way. I fully admit that my husband and I were not on top of it when it came to the music planning of the wedding, so it was such a comfort knowing that Stephen had already thought of everything and had everything taken care of. He listened to what we wanted and made a playlist that fit us perfectly. At the wedding he was SO NICE and smiled the whole time. If I ever have another event where I need a DJ I'm absolutely calling Stephen. We also had the Jazz Duo and they created a perfect jazzy ambiance during the cocktail hour.

Reviewed on 12/22/2017 Blake R

Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 12/20/2017 Katelyn S

Do yourself a favor and find any other DJ. Seriously wish i could give negative stars. When i booked with them months before my invite list for my wedding was finalized i told them there was probably going to be able 230 guests but told them there could be up to 300 and the room... Read More we were in could fit up to 300. As the list was finalized, i realized my attendance was going to be closer to 300. My wedding planner reached out to them with the updated wedding guest count. At my wedding i complained i could not hear any of the speeches and that the music was too quiet. Dj Keaton said he would fix it. NEVER DID. It was absolutely TERRIBLE. Seriously have never herd a worse sound system in my life. Everyone was complaining they couldn’t hear anything. After my wedding the (who i believe is the owner of this company), Robbie, admitted to me Dj Keaton brought a system big enough for the original quoted number of guests and that’s why everything seemed quiet...because it was! The system he brought SUCKED. THEN. He tried blaming it on my “rowdy bunch of Guests”. First of all, this was a wedding. People are always loud at weddings...second of all my guests were not out of control by any means. My wedding was at a very classy venue, the University Club of Chicago. My guests were acting perfectly appropriate. On top of that... the Dj played songs on the “do not play list” they he asked me to make (why waste my time if you’re going to play the songs i DONT WANT at my wedding anyways). I CONFEONTED Robbie about this and his response...” I’m going to let Keaton know that in future he shouldn’t play a “don’t play” even if the guests are begging him to.”...Really?? This is something you have to tell your Dj? He doesn’t already know this??? Isnt this the whole point of “do not play”?? And i can guarantee you no one was “begging” to play the cha cha slide. Not to mention RAP MUSIC. i wrote on the do not play list and spoke to Keaton over the phone to NOT PLAY ANY SONGS WITH ANY RAP MUSIC. and what do i hear playing? RAP!!!! When i asked for big band music, 80’s, Motown and a few top 40’s (at the end of the night...which he began to play very early on) Did he think he was djing a 7th grade dance??? Seemed like it. I had a $250,000 wedding and this Dj made it a real embarrassment...thank god for our band. Then Robbie went on to mention Dj Keaton stayed an “hour past time” which he didn’t considering everyone was out of there at 12:30. ...believe me, the “add on billed time” at the venue was 30 minutes. Not one hour. Dj Keaton also mentioned before my wedding when we spoke on the phone he always stays later and doesn’t charge extra...so nice try Robbie, don’t act like you were giving me any sort of special treatment. It would have been better if Keaton would have left earlier to save me the embarrassment of the disgraceful songs he played. It’s taken me 3 months to write this review because i would just start crying starting to write it because of how terrible the memories this Dj left me with. FIND ANYONE ELSE!!!!!

2017-12-22T14:40:48 Response from the vendor

Katelyn, it’s Backthird owner Benjie Hughes. When we hear concerns like this we really take it seriously! That’s why Robbie reviewed every song your DJ played, talked through the night with him in detail, and then called several professionals from other companies who worked at... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 12/11/2017 Al S

Kelvon was outstanding. The dance floor was packed all night full of guests who could not stop singing and dancing. Everyone has complimented his music, the way he kept the energy going, and created the atmosphere for a memorable night. From our first conversation with Kelvon,... Read More we've been beyond impressed. He's such a kind and attentive professional, understanding of our needs/wants while also leaning on his professionalism and experience to ensure we didn't make any mistakes in planning. We were so touched by a card Kelvon gave us at the start of the night, as well as all of the rave reviews our guests offered about his work.

Reviewed on 12/11/2017 Al S

Reviewed on 12/04/2017 Sydney J

Backthird was incredibly easy to work with, and did an amazing job of checking in with us throughout the planning process. We used them for uplighting as well. Twin Strings performed at our cocktail hour, and did an incredible job. Joshua was very responsive and helpful in... Read More coordinating a set list beforehand. DJ Kelvon was AMAZING. All of our guests and vendors loved him. He had our guests on their feet dancing for the entire night, and he was a super fun emcee throughout dinner. We received many compliments from our friends and family about what an awesome DJ we had. Backthird also provided incredibly personal touches, such as sending us handwritten cards from the coordinators and we even received one from our DJ. Our night definitely wouldn't have been the same without Backthird, Twin Strings, and DJ Kelvon.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017 Rob G

Kelvon did a great job at our wedding. Guests are still talking about how great the music was. The dance floor was full the entire night. Backthird was easy to work with and kept in communication through out the planning period.

Reviewed on 11/28/2017 Mackenzie G

My husband and I had an excellent experience with Backthird entertainment. Our DJ (Stephen) was well prepared, professional, and easy to work with. Our guests were out on the floor all night dancing! I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great DJ in the area.

Reviewed on 11/17/2017 Eliza J

Kelvon did an awesome job at our wedding! He made sure to keep everyone dancing all night. We had several compliments on our DJ!

Reviewed on 11/16/2017 Becky F

Backthird made finding a band painless and easy. The Humble Organisms were the absolute perfect fit for my wedding. The band even performed a special request that wasn’t on their set list. I wish I could give more stars

Reviewed on 11/11/2017 Colleen N

We were thrilled that Backthird could provide a solo pianist (Dan Chase) for cocktail hour as well as a DJ (Stephen) for dinner and dancing. The dance floor was packed all night! DJ Stephen also great at working with the venue staff to keep the night running on time.

Reviewed on 11/02/2017 Rachel Z

Backthird was a great DJ experience from start to finish for our wedding! Very responsive, organized, fun and accomendating. Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Leah R

We loved working with Backthird for our wedding day! From the beginning they were very easy to get in contact with and helped us start planning the details of our day! We always heard back from them within a day and they were very prompt on answering our questions. Their online... Read More planner tool was easy to use and helped us visually create the timeline for our wedding day. Everyone kept saying how much they enjoyed the music during our cocktail hour . Before walking down the aisle, I received a text from a friend saying that the violins were making her cry already- so I'd say they did a great job of setting the mood and the atmosphere for our ceremony. I would highly recommend them to others looking for a romantic and unique addition for their wedding day !

Reviewed on 10/26/2017 Shawnna B

My husband and I used BackThird Entertainment for our September 2017 wedding. We had DJ Kelvon for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. He did a FANTASTIC job. He was super accommodating, took time to talk with us prior to the wedding to make sure he had all the day of... Read More details covered, and was so professional. Our reception was a blast and our dance floor was filled the entire evening with guests of all ages. We had no issues with microphones or sound systems which was such a relief. Thank you DJ Kelvon and BackThird Entertainment, you guys are awesome! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/09/2017 Rachel J

Mc part was great but I am very upset that my dancing did not start until after 9pm!!!!! The only reason it started at all was because my mom told him to. We are busy with everything else so if I would have know the time I would have told him sooner but that's not my job. I... Read More rushed through bouquet toss and didn't even let my husband take the garter off so we could start the dancing. I made all the playlists for each event because the music was extremely important and the dancing was the most important to me. The last call was at 10:30pm and it closed at 11pm. I used this vendor because they new and worked with the venue alot. You would think they would know better. Also, Pastors microphone was going in and out during ceremony.

2017-10-24T12:42:59 Response from the vendor

Hey Rachel! It's Benjie, Backthird's founder. We're so bummed to hear you were less-than-thrilled with how your timeline worked out. Your DJ has some say in that, but not complete control of course - we don't decide how fast food gets cooked and eaten, for... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/26/2017 Morgan B

Backthird, Pop Strings and DJ Kelvon are absolutely amazing! I work with them as a corporate event planner and I would not have wanted to work with anyone other than this team for my wedding. They exceeded every expectation and our guests LOVED them. I would recommend them to... Read More any couple getting married.

Reviewed on 9/25/2017 Caitlin B

Backthird was so easy to work with. Their online planning system is user friendly. Most importantly our DJ, TJ Medel, was AMAZING! He kept the party going non-stop on our wedding night. Nobody left the dance floor. Highly recommend.

Reviewed on 9/14/2017 Courtney F

It was such a pleasure to work with Backthird Entertainment!! Stephen was our DJ and he was the BEST!!! From the moment we met him we were so comfortable and he was so accommodating to us. He went over everything we needed weeks before the wedding, made Spotify playlists of... Read More ideas that he had for our cocktail hour and dinner hour, and was even able to add extra elements that we needed last minute. We completely didn't even think about having a special song play for our flaming baked Alaska dessert, and before we could even think of it he ran up to us and listed off three "fire" songs that he could play for the show. That just made the whole dessert experience 10 times better. I also had a lot of song dedications for the reception, Stephen made sure to get to know all of my immediate family and friends and the wedding party so he could make sure that person was out on the dance floor with me when he announced their dedication. We never left the dance floor, it was so much fun!!! Thank you Stephen & Jack for a memorable wedding and the best dance party!!!

Reviewed on 9/12/2017 Laura S

We were very happy with our experience with Stephen from Backthird. We had DJ services for our ceremony and reception at The Morton Arboretum. We liked how we had a phone call together prior to the wedding. They had an online portal for us to select music we liked and disliked.... Read More We especially liked that he sent us clips of songs for us to use for our ceremony to make sure it was the right version. He was very on top of the timeline we sent him and made sure to give each person a heads up before they gave their speech. Our nephew asked to make an impromptu speech and we appreciated that he checked in with us first. :) My only negative to Backthird was that it was more expensive than we wanted to spend. We had to have two DJs, which I don't think was necessary given the size of our wedding. Stephen played music that we enjoyed and followed our play/don't play lists very well. He got everyone up and dancing the whole night. He was familiar with our venue and there were no issues with setup, etc. Overall we were extremely happy with our experience with Stephen.

Reviewed on 9/05/2017 Amber K

Thank you so much Backthird and especially to our DJ Keaton Michael, our guests complimented the music several times and the MC duties. Keaton went above and beyond to make our wedding fun and relaxed and humorous- everything we wanted it to be! He had great ideas and was happy... Read More to receive ideas from us and discuss things. Stephen our AM was fantastic and very helpful! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 9/05/2017 Lisa B

We were extremely happy with Backthird and highly, highly recommend them. We booked them for our entire wedding day - musicians for ceremony and cocktail hour, DJ for reception. Every email I sent to BackThird prior to the wedding day was met with a prompt response. Robbie was... Read More always quick and kind to respond. Priscilla and her team of musicians did a fantastic job at our ceremony and cocktail hour - which were both outdoors. Definitely made it feel chic and classy to have stringed instruments as our music. She was responsive to my questions and made the process very easy! All our guests were RAVING about DJ Kelvon during the night of our wedding and are still to this day talking about it - a week after the wedding has passed! Amazing, amazing, amazing job!! We had a large group of guests from different backgrounds, and the dance floor was packed all night long until the very last song. Thank you Kelvon for keeping things fun and lively, for playing our special music requests, and especially for being so kind as to check in with us when weird requests came through. :) You always made sure we were happy with everything that was going on and we greatly appreciate it. I will definitely be recommending Backthird Entertainment and DJ Kelvon to future wedding couples and just want to thank you again for the outstanding service!

Meet The Manager

Robbie Matteson

Everyone manages a few client accounts at Backthird, but Robbie works with a majority of our wedding couples. That makes him our resident expert on Chicago wedding venues, reception agendas and which DJ is going to do the best job with that obscure family tradition you want to include. Robbie is an amateur penny-whistle player, a former youth pastor and an irredeemable Lord of the Rings geek.