Bernardo Winery

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Celebrate a charming Southern California wedding at the lovely Bernardo Winery in San Diego, California. Bernardo Winery boasts old-world charm and modern elegance with its rustic decor and outstanding service. Couples can celebrate their wedding ceremony and reception at Bernardo Winery and have a variety of options for celebrating indoors or out.

Rosario's Pavilion. This is the quintessential charming outdoor location for exchanging vows and celebrating a new life together. This pavilion and attached gazebo are surrounded by lush landscaping and breathtaking views of the countryside. Rosario's Pavilion comfortably seats 240 guests for a wedding ceremony.

The Barrel Room. This is a unique choice for an intimate indoor wedding and can accommodate up to 50 guests for a wedding ceremony and reception. The Barrel Room is located in a 125-year-old building and gives couples and their guests a unique view into the rustic beauty of wine storage, as well as a quirky ambience that is sure to set any wedding apart.

Vito's Park. This is another outdoor venue that can accommodate larger wedding parties and receptions up to 300 people. Vito's Park is bordered by the winery's sprawling vineyards and features a sprawling lawn for outdoor celebration. A shaded patio provides a comfortable gathering place for guests as they enjoy wine and hors d'oeuvres.

Couples who choose to celebrate their nuptials at Bernardo Winery have the option to include a bevy of in-house services into their wedding day. Catering, bar service and more are available on-site at Bernardo Winery and couples can work with staff at the winery to arrange details for their special day.

Bernardo Winery's own Cafe Merlot caters weddings at the winery and offers a variety of options to suit couples tastes and impress their guests. Cafe Merlot provides exceptional options for wine pairings, including cheese plates and charcuterie, as well as dinner options, which can be determined by working directly with staff during the wedding planning process.

Bernardo Winery's bar options include a California-style bar service of the winery's own wines and a selection of beers and non-alcoholic drinks. Couples can also choose to add an open bar or champagne toast to their reception.

Bernardo Winery offers couples a list of preferred caterers for options beyond what the on-site Cafe Merlot provides and couples can work with staff to determine the details of having their event catered by an outside vendor.

In addition to the amazing atmosphere and unique setting that Bernardo Winery offers to its couples and their guests, there are other perks that draw brides and grooms to this venue specifically. On-site services and rentals available at Bernardo Winery can help couples to save time and money when planning their wedding event and include the following:

• Bridal suite
  • Lighting and sound
  • Floral arrangements

Old World Weddings at The Bernardo Winery

From intimate to extraordinary, local to destination wedding, the Bernardo Winery can create an ambiance like no other. Our 127 year old winery has old world appeal and quality service, onsite catering as well as a list of offsite caterers. Onsite florist available. Your guests are surrounded by beautiful landscape, olive trees and gardens, antique architecture and rustic decor. With several venues on the grounds, you can choose from our vintage barrel room with it's historic redwood tanks or our two semi-covered beautiful outdoor venues with fountains and gazebos. Please visit our website for more information or inquire in our wedding office. 858-487-1866. www.bernardowinery.com. Bridal manager:Terry@bernardowinery.com.

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Garden, Historic Venue, Park, Vineyard

Bar + Drinks, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Tents, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

13330 Paseo Del Verano Norte, San Diego, CA (858) 487-1866

Perfect Country Rustic Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 7/02/2013 Jamie G

From the moment I first stepped foot into the Bernardo Winery, I fell in love with the beautiful ambiance. It's definitely a hidden gem! Terry, the wedding manager, made herself available for me every step of the way to answer my million questions and was very prompt and... Read More professional. She's a sweetheart to work with and would recommend her to any bride to work with. She thinks of details that you may not have. Stay in touch with her throughout the process to ensure all your needs are met. The price was one of the best I found in SD and if you are looking for that country, rustic design - Rosario's is the perfect venue. My guests raved about the location and beauty of everything all night! Love the wooden barn type look and feel with all of the twinkle lights - it's just perfect. You do have to purchase the open bar package along with the venue fee - however, the beer selection is great and you get to do a special wine tasting to select your own wine list. Note: You can have free flowing champagne all night as one of your white wine selections. My guests thoroughly enjoyed this and I know several of them bought the wines afterwards too!

Overall Satisfaction!

Reviewed on 4/16/2013 Dana H

For my early spring wedding, on Good Friday no less, it was the perfect location. Terry, the on-site coordinator was extremely pleasant to work with from the day we booked to the very last moment we rolled out of the parking lot. We had our ceremony and reception in the gorgeous... Read More and well manicured Rosario Garden. And for the price, it cannot be beat by any other winery. As a warning, the chairs that are included with the package are a little backyard barbecue-ish because they are white plastic folding chairs. Unfortunately, the other options available, which are very nice, are $5 a piece which, for chair rental, seemed excessive. Nonetheless, the white plastic chairs were sufficient and there were zero complaints. Most people only use them for dinner anyway. Seriously though, the place is gorgeous, Terry and all of the staff are amazing and extremely helpful!! Best day of my life!

Beautiful place to get married

Reviewed on 11/19/2012 Amy C

I recently had my wedding at Bernardo Winery and loved it! It was absolutely beautiful and Terry, the wedding manager on site was really helpful! I loved the rustic feel of this venue and it was so nice to have our wedding outdoors. People commented on how much they loved... Read More this location and how they enjoyed having space to move around. It really is a lovely location. When you book a wedding there they include all of the tables and chairs are included and there is a mandatory hosted beer and wine bar which was perfect for us because that is just what we wanted. It was perfect!

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Rebecca J

Terry did a fantastic job making our big day run smoothly. She was there behind the scenes doing everything she could to make sure we had no wants, and only had fun. There was a small hiccup with the audio, but it was fixed in no time and they threw in an additional hour for... Read More the trouble (more than making up for the lost time). The site is beautiful, rustic and memorable. The staff was kind, prompt and I cannot thank them enough. Thanks again Terry, I will recommend your location (especially Rosario's) to anyone getting married in San Diego!

Romantic and Rustic

Reviewed on 11/10/2015 Lynsey A

My only issue is it had to end... Loved everything about the venue! Terry is great to work with Cafe Merlot for food is amazing their DJ recommendations and help with everything spectacular!

Reviewed on 10/09/2015 Derrick R

We used Bernardo Winery for our July 2015 wedding and were so happy with our choice. The venue was beautiful, parking for our guests was easy, the staff was very helpful and responsive. We worked with Terry Lowrey at the venue for the planning and coordination of our event. She... Read More was very detailed and helped us through every step of the planning process. Her staff also provided coordination for our rehearsal and managed the details on the day of our wedding. I didn't have to worry about a thing. I would recommend this venue to anyone getting married. It made our day magical and stress free.

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 10/27/2014 Monica D

Bernardo Winery is a beautiful place, and the perfect wedding venue for your magical night. We had our wedding here at Rosario's on 5/17/14 and it really was my dream wedding. Everyone that I had worked with from the very beginning was so helpful, accommodating and informative.... Read More I had gone to the Bernardo Winery Wedding Expo and fell in love, I knew that I had to have our wedding there. The ease of having everything on site to the preferred vendors that they provided really made our wedding go smoothly. San Diego Party People, Jeremy Jones, was our DJ and a preferred vendor of the Bernardo Winery and the music was perfect. Not one complaint about the noise, really great sound quality through the ceremony to the reception, definitely loud enough. Like most reviewers before me everyone wishes the night could go on forever and the 9PM shut down seems like it is too early. In our case we danced the night away for hours and kept the party going back at the hotel but I will never forget those 5 hours at Bernardo Winery. The communication that the Wedding Coordinator, Terry and Cafe Merlot, Toni & staff, provided throughout the entire process was impeccable. My Wedding Coordinator, Pam, set up everything so beautiful and worked behind the scenes to make everything run smooth. Every detail that I requested was carried out from the menu to the chairs to the set up to the overall vibe of the day. I was so pleased and filled with joy on the day of my wedding and I am still getting compliments on how it was one of the best weddings my guests had been too. The wine/champagne/beer was awesome! I really don't have any complaints with this wedding venue, it was the most memorable night and I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thank you Bernardo Winery for the best night ever.

Amazing Venue

Reviewed on 10/15/2014 Kerrstyn S

We used Bernardo Winery for our wedding on 9/19/14. We had the ceremony & reception in Rosario's Pavilion and it was everything we wanted it to be and more. This was the one & only venue we visited and we were in love. The compliments have not stopped about what a beautiful... Read More wedding it was. The staff at Bernardo, specifically Terry, were phenomenal! All of our meetings were productive and informative. She made all of my visions come true. Having her experience as the "Day of Coordinator" was priceless. A few things I would have changed: 1. I wish they had later hours. Having the reception end at 9:00 was kind of a downer. The neighborhood requires them to end at 9:00, but 10:00 or 11:00 would have been so much better. 2. The bar fee. We had multiple adults who do not drink (AA & preference) and we still had to pay the $20 a head. Maybe implement a wrist band system for the actual drinkers? 3. A beer list to choose from would have been easier, not random beers chosen by the winery. Every crowd has different tastes and even though craft beer is amazing, not everyone has a taste for it. A regular beer (Miller Light, Bud Light, Coors Light) would be a really nice option. Overall, these gripes are not that important in the big scheme of things. We still had an amazing & unforgettable wedding. Just didn't like that these things were out of my control.

Dream Venue and Staff

Reviewed on 10/13/2014 Lauren C

I couldn't be more pleased with Bernardo Winery! The site itself is incredibly beautiful, which required minimal embellishment from our end. Rosario's Pavilion is decked out in string lights, old license plates, and antique wine-making equipment, plus the trees on property are... Read More all pre-lit. This gave us a built-in rustic charm without any additional costs. On top of that, the wedding coordinator on site - Terry - is a top notch professional. She made us feel at ease every step of the way, and gave us tried and true vendor recommendations when needed. The day of, she kept everything rolling smoothly and allowed us to enjoy the day. Costs are this venue are a flat site fee plus the open bar package, which amounted to about $25 per person. Flexible site rates for weekdays, but the bar package is a non-negotiable. For us, this was fine, but if you have a lot of non-drinkers, you may want to reconsider. Overall, this venue is a dream come true, and anyone would be lucky to host a celebration there.

vito's garden

Reviewed on 8/25/2014 Kristel K

I had originally planned on booking the front area of the winery that is very known for weddings. Luckily it ended up being booked so they showed me the other area available on sight (vitos garden) which was a better fit for us. It included a huge lawn area (perfect for kids and... Read More we had wanted lawn games) 2 gazebos with the vineyard in background. Amazing photo op areas (windmills, swings, old pull cart) and still included covered bar area and dance floor. To top it all off for us the venue fee was less then half the cost of the other one (other included bridal room and a little fancier bar area) Overall a great experience and amazing service (even had a back up plan ready for me due to rain the day prior) For a beautiful upscale location that won't break the bank this was perfect

So-So Service for a Bachelorette Party

Reviewed on 4/10/2014 Dawn P

Bernardo Winery has great facilities, but they do not take group reservations for wine tasting, and the staff is not very accommodating. This was our third and final stop on my bachelorette wine tasting tour, and we were disappointed with the level of service provided.

Great

Reviewed on 8/16/2012 Veronika E

great service

Loved my Venue

Reviewed on 8/06/2012 Noel V

The winery is beautiful, rustic, full of antiques, and have great scenery & delicious wines. The price was very reasonable. My only complaint is that we are only able to have the venue until 9pm, so the evening felt a bit cut short; also, you can only bring in your supplies... Read More the day of, and cannot drop items of the day before, which was challenging b/c we had a lot to bring in. Otherwise, wonderful experience and very nice staff.

BEAUTIFUL VENUE!

Reviewed on 5/31/2012 Becky F

my now husband and i had only looked at 1 other venue before coming to bernardo winery and i expected to have to look at many more after as well. the winery was recommended to us by my sister who had recently planned her wedding. driving in to the parking lot my husband says "i... Read More like it" and i had to explain to him that we were only in the parking lot! it is such a quaint, elegant, cozy place to be and every time i was there i felt so much peace and comfort, even amidst all the craziness and stress of the wedding planning. we chose to have our ceremony and reception here but in 2 different sites which was an extra fee but well worth it. it is already such a beautiful venue and lends itself to a certain feel for a wedding so we did a ton of diy decorations to place all around. the day turned out more beautiful than i could have imagined. the family that owns the winery is so friendly and always around giving it that down-home feel that i really love. terri, the wedding coordinator there was very friendly and helpful. we used their on site caterer, cafe merlot, and the food was truly the best part of our wedding. the only thing i did not like was that the music could not be very loud due to the residential neighborhood around the winery. guests still had a great time but music had to be off by 9 ON THE DOT so we drove down the road to the rancho bernardo inn where we continued the party, stayed the night, and enjoyed brunch there the next day. definitely look into the bernardo winery for any bride looking for a very rustic, cozy, outdoorsy wedding!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 10/07/2011 Jessica B

This was the best venue! we had to pay for the wedding ourselves so cost was a huge issue. The winery also gives out military discounts. They work with you the whole time to keep everything easy and less of a headache. It is perfect for any event that you could possibly need it... Read More for.

Beautiful location

Reviewed on 11/17/2010 Susan G

I had my wedding at the Bernardo Winery and it was an absolutely fabulous location. I had my wedding in May so the flowers, trees, and vines were all green and in bloom so it was a wonderful backdrop for an outdoor wedding. The staff at the winery were very helpful and were... Read More there to make sure everything was taken care of. Ann Marie was fantastic in making sure we had everything we needed before and during the wedding. The bridal room was ready for us when we got there and they had mimosas and water waiting for us. They took care of the setup and take down of all the chairs, tables, and heaters/umbrellas. I don't think I could have picked a nicer place to have my wedding.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Margaret L

the atmosphere;the event coordinator doesn't coordinate anything for you.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Jennifer S

The winery was beautiful rustic and different. Everyone had a fantastic time and it turned out beautiful. We didn't have to spend a ton of money on flowers because it was already gorgeous!

Reviewed on 11/06/2008 Rebecca L

beautiful backdrop for pictures on winery grounds (definitely ask if you can take pictures in the barrel room and among the grape vines!) relaxed country vibe in the reception space nice ambiance and lighting pretty during the day and at night;the event staff was a... Read More bit disorganized/forgetful about things we had agreed upon when we met. keep copies of everything.