Birch Hill Catering

Ballroom, Barn, Waterfront, Country Club, Tented, Vineyard

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

1 Celebration Way, Castleton-on-Hudson, NY (518) 732-4444

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

My daughter selected Birch Hill for her wedding and reception. We met with a consultant. After we met with her twice we were informed she left Birch Hill. We then met with another consultant twice and again were told she left. My daughter and further son in law met with another... Read More coordinator. The wedding was at the pond location and the reception was at a pavilion next to the pond. The wedding was awesome. Beautiful outside at the pond. When over and we were leaving for greetings and pictures we were told by the coordinator we had to hurry because they had another wedding at the pond location. Our time there was cut short. We went to the reception. We were introduced and went to our tables. I was sitting less than 10 minutes when the bar tender came to me telling me she needed my credit card because the money we put down for the open bar was gone. Beer and wine were included in the price of the wedding. The money was for alcohol. I put down $750 and then put down with my card another $300. Which was also gone very soon. The food was buffet. The only person working was the chef. No others were seen. The food was available however there was no order for guests to serve themselves. I had the chef contact the coordinator. During the wedding she came and we talked for a short while and she said she would be back later. I found out 2 things. They had 5 weddings going. 3 inside and 2 in pavilions. Also the female bartender it was her first night working and she had never bar tended previously. The bar tender didn't even know the difference between white and red wine and also didn't know how to make some drinks guests asked for. Have no idea what they charged for mixed drink ( our bad). Met with coordinator after the reception was over and found this out. The food was average. The bar was a disaster. Thinking with 5 weddings going on they were understaffed. But that isn't our fault and we suffered as a result. I was disappointed as I'm certain were others. I had heard very good things about Birch Hill but based on our experience I cannot recommend for a very important day and event.

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

Reviewed on 9/20/2016 Valentina C

I chose Birch Hill based on their extraordinary reviews from friends and coworkers that they had the best food! And they do indeed have excellent chefs; the food at my wedding was phenomenal! I had an off-site catering contract, and the chef was phenomenal. We also chose to... Read More have an all-vegan menu, and they delivered a delicious buffet-style meal that was totally in line with what we wanted (except for a cheese board that snuck into the cocktail hour, but I'm sure our guests loved that, too). I would definitely recommend Birch Hill for delicious food that people will talk about for weeks after.

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Kelly H

We had our ceremony and reception at Birch Hill and we couldn't have been more happy with the way everything turned out. Bridget and the staff at Birch Hill were so amazing on our day I can't even begin to thank them. Every time we turned around someone was making sure we had... Read More everything we needed and was offering to bring us drinks and plates of food. Bridget even bustled my dress so my mom didn't have to do it. We originally were supposed to have the ceremony outside but with the heat and storms it ended up being inside. We were a little upset but the ceremony was so beautiful and more than we could've imagined. The food was amazing and all the staff were so friendly and accommodating. Bridget was so great to work with and always calmed our nerves and told us we had nothing to worry about and that they would take care of everything and they truly did! We have no regrets about our wedding day and would absolutely recommend Birch Hill to anyone for any event/wedding.

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Kylie C

Birch Hill was the first and last venue that we went to look at. We loved it from the first second we pulled up and saw the pond with the gardens and gorgeous fountain, but we were sold within the first minutes of meeting Bridget. Thank you is not enough for what Bridget did... Read More for us. She made our day absolutely perfect! She met with us a few times over the course of a year and every time we left knowing that we were taken care of. I also managed to email her about 5 times a week with simple questions, and every time she responded within a few hours. Having her as a coordinator made all the stress lift away that day. We just knew everything was taken care of and if it wasn't, Bridget would handle it. On top of all that, she never once pressured us into spending more. If anything, she helped us save money in parts. That really pleased me because I hate the pressure of sales people. Our guests thought the food was fantastic and that the staff was very polite, friendly, and courteous. The ballroom itself is gorgeous, we had many compliments on how nice of a wedding it was. They just redid the floors and it really adds to the beauty with all the lights reflecting. Birch HILL is the perfect choice for a wedding venue. Some of our best friends are having their wedding there this fall and I can't wait!

Reviewed on 11/18/2015

This is long but worth reading. We booked in the Fall of 2013 for our wedding date of November 14, 2015. We had a coordinator promise us 5 hour reception whether we had our ceremony on site or not. After comparing other venues to the numbers were given by her we decided that... Read More it was the best price for the options and look that we wanted. Fast forward to the beginning of 2015 I was emailed that the coordinator had resigned and that we were reassigned to a new person. I do have to say that the new coordinator was more than helpful on important decisions like which room we should keep everything in or at one point we even thought of doing a smaller wedding in the summer. At that point we were told that it wasn’t a problem since nothing was set in stone.Fast forward to about September ’15 when my fiancé called and asked about bar options. This was when we were informed that we were going to be charged for the extra half hour because their receptions are only 4 ½ hours. I called and explained what we were told and I was told that the previous coordinator was wrong and that they never do 5 hour receptions. 3 weeks before our wedding we met with our coordinator to go over everything and we were told that that in fact no one had booked the front ballroom and that it was 100% ours to have our ceremony in which was also changed in our “contract”. I even joked about how people would be crazy to book a wedding 3 weeks out. Sure enough October 29th I received an EMAIL informing me that a different coordinator had booked a party that was in the same time of when our ceremony would have been so we had to change our ceremony site.The 3 Option were never something I wanted which I had told the previous coordinator but this was not noted anywhere. ALSO neither coordinator told us for 1200$ we could have rented out the other ballroom until it was booked. We then met with the owner of the company who started rubbing in the amount of years they have been in business and how many weddings he him self have done in the way of trying to make us feel stupid. We did come to a compromise after tears and being told that I don’t have to be so dramatic.NOW the night of is when we felt very Dooped. I had about 90 people for both cocktail and reception. I had people searching for places to set their drinks so they could eat since they only put out 4 tables which was not the 6-7 like we were told for cocktail hour. We had 5 cocktail style stations which I only got to eat fries and potatoes from and was given no left over besides the top of our cake while there were about 30 pieces of cake left out when we were leaving. Our end time was suppose to be 10:30. At 9:15 I noticed napkins being picked up and by 9:30 all napkins were gone and by 9:45 the only plate and silverware that were out were on the cake table. I also watched a employee blow out the candles on one of the tables. Needless to say 50% of my guest started leaving when they saw the staff cleaning up and even thought that we were done at 9:30.Overall we left feeling jipped out of money due to paying our dj extra time that we didn’t even end up using. I was checked on more by the DJ, photographer and officiant than Birch Hills Staff. I also had been told from my other services that they had a less then pleasant experience also. I do recommend their catering but not their venue. If you decide to deal with them get an experienced wedding planner who they can’t pull a fast one on.

Reviewed on 6/04/2015 Melissa R

Birch Hill is an amazing place to get married! They went above and beyond my expectations! It did get stressful in the beginning as I lost two coordinators, but like the saying 3rd time is the charm and it was! My coordinator went above and beyond to make my day special and... Read More perfect. Even on rehearsal day, when the hotel was not working out for my family, I contacted my coordinator and before you knew it, the situation was resolved! If you want to get married at a place that is beautiful, accommodating, inexpensive, great food (everyone of my guest raved about the food), and have coordinators cater to your every needs then this is the place to go! I highly recommend this place to any bride! I was lucky and live only 10-15 miles away but not being local I heard about this place from a friend and I hope that anybody who reads my post also puts Birch Hill into consideration! With them working with hotels, it provides shutting for your guest, and their new fire wall on the porch of the Columbia Ball room was so beautiful! Good luck to any finding a venue as I know its stressful, and note that Birch Hill Catering is a place you should definitely check out!!!

Amazing food, amazing venue, terrible coordinator

Reviewed on 11/19/2013 Mandy B

Birch Hill was wonderful. The food is delicious, the grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and the wait staff and bar tenders were great! My wedding coordinator however was terrible and caused me untold amounts of stress. She gave me a glass of wine for the rehearsal - which is... Read More good, because if she hadn't I probably would have started screaming at her. I ended up taking over the entire rehearsal process, and the rehearsal that should have lasted 30 minutes took an hour and a half...

Beautiful! Absolutely stunning!

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Sarah K

We have received SOOOOO many compliments on our July wedding with Birch HIll. We were I think one of the fourth weddings to actually get married on the property this year because we had a horrible year for rain. However, we had a perfect day! 80 degrees and a slight breeze! We... Read More were married by the pond at the front of the property. The only thing we noticed is everyone else on the property (other places to get married) seemed outdated. The food is good, however we did not get at all what we asked for but it was still great! We got so many compliments on the food and venue. We actually had our reception at the Comfort Inn in East Greenbush and it was wonderful there.

off site caterer

Reviewed on 7/25/2013 Darlene K

Our wedding was held at a private home so we were looking for a caterer that would come off site to our venue. Birch Hill was just the ticket. What won them the job instead of the other vendors we interviewed was they had trucks that would come to your site and prepare the... Read More food at your location instead of preparing it at their location and transporting all ready cooked food to your venue. Our feeling was that the food would be so much fresher with Birch Hill preparing it. The food was excellent; everyone complimented us on the food. Their event planners were easy to work with and very helpful

amazing service!!

Reviewed on 7/25/2013

When I first visited Birch Hill I was blown away by the beautiful property and the day of my wedding did not cease to disappoint. Not only did I enjoy my wedding, but my guests were left happy, full, and with smiles and sore feet from too much dancing. The wait staff was... Read More friendly and helpful, even getting my mother an extra plate of calamari (her absolute favorite!) after the dinner service. Our wedding coordinator was Mary and she was a life-saver who made planning my wedding an almost stress-free event. Everything ran smoothly and the groom and myself were able to dance the night away knowing we were in Mary’s good hands.

best reception venue ever!!!

Reviewed on 7/22/2013 Alyssa P

I recently got married at Birch Hill in Schodack, NY. It was amazing!! Everything was perfect. Belinda and her staff went above and beyond. I cannot wait to have them host my next event.

Our dream wedding location

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Olivia M

Our dream wedding was at Birch Hill. The scenery at this venue is so unique - our guests were thoroughly entertained by the wildlife and peacocks roaming on the grounds. They even made an appearance at our outdoor pond side ceremony. Both the inside and outside of Birch Hill are... Read More so beautiful and elegant and make you feel special on your wedding day. The service was great by all of the friendly staff at our reception and everything went perfectly for us. The food selections had something for everyone including the children and vegetarian guests. For coordinators, our captain was Tanya who worked with Amy. The service we received from our coordinators was beyond exceptional. Our timeline ran perfectly and our day ran so smoothly. We were so pleased with our services from Birch Hill and all of the staff and felt that it was the perfect venue for us! We highly recommend Birch Hill for your wedding!

Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/17/2012 Kristen R

We recently had our wedding ceremony and reception at Birch Hill. Belinda was our event coordinator and was absolutely amazing. She made sure that everything was exactly as we asked plus more. All of my guests loved the food at cocktail hour, dinner, and dessert. The wait staff... Read More was excellent and the bartenders even remembered what we were all drinking and had drinks ready for us as she saw us coming up. I would definitely recommend Birch Hill to anyone looking for a wedding venue... and ask for Belinda! Kristen

Amazing venue and staff!!!

Reviewed on 8/11/2012 Laura W

Belinda and the rest of the staff at birch hill were phenomenal! I can not recommend them enough! Our wedding was scheduled pond side for the ceremony and reception. Unfortunately the weather was not cooperative and it down poured drenching everything. The staff had to change my... Read More pavilion to higher grounds and allowed me to have my ceremony indoors in front of their gorgeous fire place. They calmed my anxious nerves when it seemed like everything was going wrong. They went above and beyond what I had ever imagined and truly made it the best night I could ask for. Belinda also went out of her way to personally call our hotel when an hour and a half before the ceremony they told my then fiancé we had no room and they were completely booked. One call from Belinda and a room suddenly appeared for us. I could go on and on raving about the staff, beautiful venue, delicious food and overall great place! I would highly recommend this venue to all future brides!

Miss my original coordinator

Reviewed on 6/26/2012 Kate L

When I first met with Birch Hill, I had an excellent coordinator. She made me feel confident about the day. We had met with her multiple times and locked in exactly what we wanted. She left Birch Hill for another opportunity a few months before the wedding and we were... Read More assigned a new coordinator. She may be experienced but we were treated like second class citizens. We were bumped out of having the Bridal Suite between Ceremony and Reception (originally promised to us) and informed all of one week prior to the wedding. I can only assume it is because another more costly wedding wanted it. The bathroom trailer we had locked in with our previous coordinator was not ordered and a week before the wedding we were charged an additional 900+ to get them in. On the day of, even though it was super sunny out, the groom had to argue with the coordinator to get them to set up our ceremony in the outdoor location we had selected. They argued because it might rain and it wasn't until we offered to sign a rain damage waiver (Birch Hill not responsible if shoes get damaged from water if it rains), that they agreed to set it up. (It never rained BTW! Sunny and perfect the whole day!) When it came to my meal, I have severe food allergies and was assured that they could handle it. My food was to be prepared separately and kept away from the rest of the meals. On the day of, I was asked "What can you eat from the buffet?" thus demonstrating that they had not prepared my food separately. On fear of having an allergic reaction (resulting in hospitalization, and my wedding ruined), I felt I could not eat anything and so I did not get a meal at my wedding. Birch Hill was beautiful and I don't regret selecting it as my venue. However, I know that if we had our original coordinator, the day would have been perfect from start to finish - with no hiccups or broken promises.

Memorable Day

Reviewed on 5/02/2012 LINDA O

The staff at Birch HIll did an excellent job the day of teh reception. All guests raved about the food from the cocktail hour right through dinner. Our event planner, Belinda, walked us through every step from very early on in the planning and accommodated us even when... Read More things got stressful. For that we are thankfuland would reccomend Birch HIll and Belinda to anyone looking for the best bang for their buck!

A Perfect Day!

Reviewed on 1/22/2012 Nicole S

My wedding day was amazing! Everyone at Birch Hill was tremendously attentive especially Belinda Shumway. She addressed every need I had during planning and all the way through to the end of the reception. She is wonderfully experienced in this industry, it shows in her... Read More confidence, and is proven in her product. She is a pleasure to work with despite the stress surrounding an event that holds so many expectations! Belinda and everyone at Birch Hill set us up to have a seamlessly perfect wedding from rehearsal to ceremony to reception and I can't thank them enough for making my "once-in-a-lifetime" perfect!!!

WONDERFUL

Reviewed on 12/01/2011 Lisa P

Excellent!! Belinda is wonderful to work with and oh so much fun. We had a wonderful time and everyone raved about the food we chose. I'd definitely recommend

Don't Book Here

Reviewed on 10/25/2011 Megan W

I had booked my wedding here for September 16, 2011 and it was very disappointing. First, when we got there we saw all these cars and were like what! We were promised when we first booked there that we would be the only wedding cause they only do one wedding at a time. Then,... Read More the person who was in charge of my wedding I only maybe saw her twice in one night. The staff was terrible, we didn't even see our head waitress the whole night! Then, our cupcakes weren't even passed out, so we ended up with all those cupcakes and had to throw out most of them. When it became the end of the night, nobody who worked there offer to help us load anything up, we had to put it all on a cart and do it ourselves. And the cage that our cards were in, we had to get them all together ourselves as well. My DJ and Photographer had taken care of myself and my groom the whole night. Was very disappointed, as I have been to a wedding there and it was awesome. They rob you for your money and you hardly get any attention from them once they have your money!!!

Great wedding!

Reviewed on 10/25/2011 samantha c

I went to my friends wedding at birch hill and it was a great time!!

:o)

Reviewed on 10/21/2011 Breanne T

I did not hold my wedding at Birch Hill but I did go through them for our wedding. The staff was amazing and we went through Brittany! She was absolutely the best wedding planner I have to say. On the actual wedding day, she helped me fix my wedding dress and got me back out... Read More on the dance floor. She did an amazing job.

excellent venue

Reviewed on 10/09/2011 meghan w

overall terrific location for a wedding. the food was spectacular; no one went hungry and we only received compliments on the quality of the food. very helpful in planning the wedding. only thing that made it a 4, instead of a 5-star, was some of the small requests didn't... Read More seem to happen and the table numbers on paper didn't match the reality of the layout. We would definitiely go back again for wedding #2 if that's fits with our other daughter's plans.

Did not enjoy

Reviewed on 8/06/2011 Ashley M

This was the biggest headache of my wedding!! The staff was rude, and inappropriate. The thing that made me most angry was that the staff stopped by our venue (our grandparent's home) without so much as a phone call!!! I thought this was very rude.

Incredible Experience

Reviewed on 11/16/2010 Jessica M

This vendor was out of this world! They were always on top of things and very easy to get ahold of and stay in contact with. Their staff is great and willing to work with you on any idea that you have... It really is YOUR WEDDING when you choose Birch Hill. The service is... Read More excellent and so is the value for all that they do. The food is delicious and definately worth every penny. This vendor allows for indoor and outdoor ceremony's and weddings. We had planned an outdoor ceremony by the pond and when the weather was a bit too cold... it was easily moved to an inside facility. There was nothing I would have changed about using Birch Hill. People are still telling me they want to go back to my wedding night and everything anyone has said has been nothing but wonderful. This place is definately worth checking out. In the spring they do an amazing bridal show as well! P.S. Did I mention open bar is included in their packages for the entire evenning?!?!