Cake Done Differently

As Austin’s premier bakery, Blue Note Bakery prides themselves on their creative/unique designs and award winning flavors. With over 17 years of experience, they push the limits to create flavors combinations and 3-D designs that no one else offers. A completely from scratch bakery.

$$

Dietary Options

Gluten Free

Cake Accessories, Cake Tastings, Groom's Cakes

4201 S. Congress Ave, Austin, TX

Excellent

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Anita S

Amazing! Brides if you want to work with a business that will listen to your exact vision and make it even better go with Blue Note Bakery. Not only did the cake look great but people were talking about how great it tasted the next few days.

Yummy!

Reviewed on 2/05/2014 Sarah F

My groom and I put Blue Note Bakery first on our list of bakeries to try for our wedding cake. Luckily, our first try was a jackpot. They had an amazing number of cake and filling options. We needed a cake for 150, and were able to get 2 different flavors (lemon with lemon... Read More curd and lemon bavarian cream filling AND Honduran vanilla with fresh strawberries and strawberry bavarian cream). It was do delicious, and my groom and I were excited to find that the leftovers had been sent home with us. The staff was really easy to work with and very accommodating. The price seemed consistent with what I have heard from my other recently married friends. My father-in-law was so impressed with the cake that he thought it wasn't real. Wish he hadn't tested this suspicion by sticking his finger in the side, but luckily I have a good sense of humor!

Centerpiece of Wedding

Reviewed on 1/25/2014

We tried many bakeries around town before deciding to go with Blue Note Bakery for our special day and it was the best decision we made! The whole experience was fun and the results were legendary! The staff love a challenge and will help you build the Bride and groom's cake of... Read More your dream (and fit it within your budget). What a great local place that really keeps true to the Austin spirit. I highly recommend Blue note Bakery!

Dry Cake and No Reply from Bakery

Reviewed on 1/02/2015 Ann T

After a lot of research and several tastings we ended up going with Blue Note Bakery for our wedding cake. Our tasting experience and the look of the wedding cake was wonderful....unfortunately the taste of the actual wedding cake was NOT. The layer that my guests ate was dry,... Read More brittle and tasted exactly opposite of the moist and fresh cake we had at our tasting. We have no idea what went wrong during the process and were very disappointed. We did give the bakery a chance to respond....and about two months later.....still no real response has been received. We received a short email a few weeks after we wrote to them and complained and that one simply said they were sorry, would talk to the owner and staff and would follow up with us again.....which they have not. Overall, with all the expenses of a wedding and with having to pay for the items prior to them being delivered, and prior to being able to even know if the quality is what you hoped for, it seems in very bad taste that a response was not even received. $600 gone with not even barely an apology for such poor quality. I wish that I was able to turn in that kind of effort to my job and still get paid for it but, when I mess up, I have to answer to someone about it. Overall, very disappointed not only in the dry mess that my guests, husband, and I had to pass as our wedding cake, but also for the lack of follow up from a business that played such a big part in our wedding.

good bakery

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Amy S

The owner/ baker it's personable and friendly. She has a bunch of choices of flavors and the cake tasted delicious. My mother's only complaint was the looks, the fondant wasn't super stiff, but we were outside and her tastier homemade fondant melted a little. That didn't bother... Read More me at all though. The price was $850 for a 3 tier chocolate and strawberry, but I feel like we got a good value.

Great cake! Bad price.

Reviewed on 8/03/2014 Morgan R

We did a tasting here for our wedding cake and loved what we had! But she wasn't willing to work with us on our design or her huge price tag!

Delicious!

Reviewed on 7/15/2014 Meg S

Delicious cakes, very helpful cake tasting, lots of various flavors and ideas, true to expectations

Extra touches and attention to detail. Blue Note Bakery takes the cake!

Reviewed on 7/09/2014 Kaitlyn P

I had specific visions of my wedding cake and my husband's groom's cake. This bakery delivered on all fronts. We had my three-tier custom cake done exactly like the drawing and the decorations were perfect. It tasted just as I imagined it would. The groom's cake was a tank for... Read More my husband since he is a tanker in the US Army. His buddies from the wedding party and that attended the wedding were in awe of the detail that was put into the tank. The top even swiveled! Our cakes were talk of the wedding with the beauty and precision that was executed. I couldn't have imagined anything better. I recommend Blue Note Bakery 100%.

Delicious cake flavors with TONS of options!

Reviewed on 6/25/2014 H M

Blue Note Bakery made our wedding cake, and it was delicious! It was a 3-tier round cake, and the flavor combinations were pistachio with raspberry Swiss Meringue buttercream, as well as vanilla with lavender Swiss Meringue buttercream. They were very quick to respond to any... Read More questions I had, and they were always friendly and professional. During our tasting, they were very open to my design ideas even when they involved ordering special equipment for the design. They were also very patient and accommodating when I repeatedly changed the cake shape and guest count over the last few months.  They have a huge range of cake and icing flavors, and all of the options we tasted were delicious. They provided us with even more cake and icing flavors than we had asked to taste, and they were very willing to accommodate our tastes by using all Swiss Meringue based buttercreams instead of the traditional American style. On the wedding day, the cake looked and tasted great. We would definitely recommend Blue Note Bakery to any Austin or Hill Country Bride!

These guys should get their own show

Reviewed on 11/18/2013 Stefanie R

I got married on Halloween and had a Victorian Gothic thing going. This included several references to "The Raven" by Poe. So I kinda wanted a raven somewhere, but not so much the taxidermy variety. The creative geniuses at Blue Note suggested a raven cake topper made out of... Read More molded chocolate. I have to admit, I was both excited and scared. It was still my wedding cake, after all. Would it be too over-the-top? And since I assumed this would be their first raven cake topper, what if it didn't turn out so well? Their enthusiasm and stellar reputation convinced me to hand over the reins and let them go all out. The results blew my mind. The raven was stunning--both apropos and really quite beautiful. They also created molded feathers that cascaded down the cake and tree branches that snaked around it. The groom's cake was just as gorgeous and featured an antiqued cameo made of sugar. I don't know how they pulled all of this off, but they should seriously get their own t.v. show. Guests jaws were on the floor, and they were talking about the cakes all night long. Meanwhile, the cake tasted amazing. Everyone was raving about it and going back for seconds. A number of people said it was the best wedding cake they'd ever seen or tasted! I would agree and add that if you want a show-stopper, Blue Note is clearly up for the challenge.

AMAZING Cakes

Reviewed on 10/09/2013 Lisa L

They make, by far, the best cakes. I can't tell you how many people came up to saying this was the best wedding cake/ cake in general they had ever had. It was super moist and looked fantastic. They have the ability to do anything. I brought them a design I had created and they... Read More were able to to match it perfectly.

Exactly What I asked for!

Reviewed on 5/09/2013 Mary Z

OMG these people are VERY talented. I brought a picture in of a fondant cake with the design being very specific and not only did they do a perfect job, they helped us create the grooms cake and it was exactly what we wanted.

Delicous cakes!

Reviewed on 3/27/2013 Virginia W

Dont be scared by price, includes groom's and wedding cake. The tres leches with fresh strawberries is amazing! Angie makes a honey rum fonant you actually WANT to eat! Chipotle red velvet cake has a personality and flavor all its own and 100% awesome. Angie has a great... Read More personality and is a pleasure to work with. Creative, funny and fun. Collaborative in the design process. The only reason not giving a 5 star rating is the grooms cake (our team mascot) was the wrong color blue. However, Angie was quick to take ownership and make the situation right. Best bakery ever!

Awesome!

Reviewed on 1/21/2013 Crystal W

We had a very small family wedding and didn't think a professional baker would want to mess with something so small. When my fiance and I walked in they treated us just like we were ordering a huge cake. So professional and fun to work with. Our delivery went off without a... Read More hitch. The cake was awesome and we could not have been any happier with it. They custom matched my color perfectly and the design was exactly like we planned. The cake bar concept was a huge hit and the most important part - the cakes tasted so yummy! I would highly recommend Blue Note for your wedding or any special occasion cake. I hope my husband surprises me with an anniversary cake from Blue Note - hint hint!

Delicious!!

Reviewed on 12/29/2012 Nikki B

I just used Blue Note for my wedding in November and was extremely pleased with their work. Wedding cake is my favorite dessert so for me, taste was extremely important. The cakes were delicious...so good we had three. The lemon cake was a hug hit. The icing is delicious--they... Read More don't skimp, and the cake was moist. I had tons of compliments on how good the cake was and how fun the flavors were! For our main cake we had a Honduran vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse and buttercream (ironic because one of my bridesmaids is from Honduras!). We did have the chipotle chocolate for one and it wasn't quite as spicy as we would have liked but this is something you could request. As far as design goes, I wanted something pretty simple but they are capable of very elaborate designs as well. I loved the way our cakes turned out...they looked gorgeous. They were very patient with me as I changed my mind several times on the design. They were very accommodating and quick to respond. I also shopped other prices in Austin, their's seem very comparable to most. My only complaint would be that when you have your cake tasting, the flavors are tasted from samplings of each that you combine versus a premade cake with certain flavors. Because of this it is hard to get a feel for how the cake comes together, the icing to cake ratio, etc. I worried a bit after the first tasting because the cake seemed a little dry, however this was not the case the day of. Overall they were excellent to work with and I would not hesitate to use them again if I were to plan my wedding over!

Blue Note Bakery make the absolute BEST cakes in Austin!

Reviewed on 12/21/2012 Mica O

Everyone that attended our wedding is still RAVING about the cake and cake bars! Blue Note Bakery makes the best, most unique and delicious, cakes in Austin and their team is professional, organized, sincere and extremely creative. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Amazing Cakes!

Reviewed on 10/30/2012 Athena G

We were incredibly impressed with our wedding cake. We went in with a vision but not quite sure what we wanted. Blue Note's talented staff helped us mold it and execute it beautifully. Not only did the cake look perfect, but it tasted amazing. They had a awesome selection of... Read More inventive flavors. We went with flavors that we usually would not choose because everything tasted so great. Many thanks to Blue Note Bakery!

Delicious-ness!

Reviewed on 10/19/2012 Audra T

Blue Note Bakery did a fabulous job at my wedding. The tasting itself was amazing and I enjoyed being able to customize by choosing your cake flavor and the frosting--both choices had one to dozen to choose from. The day-of everything arrived on-time, and just as I'd... Read More envisioned--no unpleasant surprises, which is so nice on your wedding day! Not only did the cake look amazing, it tasted fabulous. Our cake had two different cake types, and two frosting flavors. We also had four different cupcake types, each with a unique frosting to match. I couldn't have asked for more and would use Blue Note again should I ever need a some special desserts.

Excellent Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 10/15/2012 Nancy K

Blue Note did our bride and groom cakes for our wedding. Both cakes were exactly what we asked for. The bridal cake was beautiful and the grooms cake was a work of art. Not only did the cakes look amazing they tasted amazing! We aren't going on our honeymoon until December... Read More so we took our cake home from the wedding and ate it every night for the entire week after our wedding. It tasted fresh ALL week long. Blue Note Bakery has such creative cake flavors and an unbelievably talented and easy to work with staff!

Great Cake Bars and Very Professional

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Cris S

We chose Blue Note Bakery for two reasons: their baked goods taste AMAZING and they were the definition of professionalism. Angela and crew were friendly and professional from the first moment we met to post-wedding. We elected to have a dessert bar (instead of a cake) and... Read More pick-up ourselves (instead of delivery). No one told us “that’s not the way it’s done” or “you don’t want that.” Instead, they smiled and helped us figure out what was best for our needs. The most popular items at our wedding were the mini pecan pies and the tie-dye cake bar! Blue Note Bakery is going to be my go-to place for all my dessert needs (hello, baby shower…).

Yummy

Reviewed on 6/21/2012 Andrea G

Everyone ate up the wedding cake and groom's cake. They were both yummy! The buttercream frosting is delish! I wasn't crazy about the fondant ribbon around it as far as the design (also not as pictured). The strawberry filling was sparse and not very good. The grooms cake was... Read More really neat but the chess pieces were nasty, we should have gone with real chess pieces. Overall a good bakery, excellent on taste!

Insultingly Expensive

Reviewed on 5/30/2012 Leslie W

I did not use this bakery but I know that the quotes they eventually (very slow in responding) send me were outrageously expensive. It was insulting for a groom's cake and we eventually went with Krissy's Cakes in Leander and got a beautiful and appropriately priced cake. These... Read More guys are taking advantage of people.

2012-06-01T11:49:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you for posting your feelings about our shop, but we would like to clarify a few things. We have never claimed to be a "cheap cake shop." Since we are a completely from scratch and do not use ANY cake mixes or bucket fondants... Read Less Read More

YUM!

Reviewed on 5/09/2012 Mandy T

Blue Note Bakery did an amazing job with our wedding cake and our grooms cake. Both were delicious and beautifully done. Staff was very friendly and fun to work with. Blue Note Bakery delivered exactly what we wanted and made the cake decision the easiest one of the whole... Read More wedding planning process! Thank you!!!

Beautiful & Delicious!

Reviewed on 4/30/2012 Lauren C

We fell in love with Blue Note Bakery at first bite! The cake looked as good as it tasted. We loved the variety of the flavors for the cake, icing, and filling. Some were deliciously unexpected. Angela did a wonderful job designing the cake to fit our slightly non-traditional... Read More style. We couldn’t have been more pleased.

Yummy Cake

Reviewed on 12/07/2011 Maryann G

The cake was not only moist and tasty, it looked perfect. Angie did such a great job. She was prompt and did top notch work.

TO Blue Note Bakery