A creative clergy team creates personal ceremonies

Our approach to weddings is best understood with a story. Miriam and James had met months before contacting one of our clergy for a wedding ceremony. Their relationship was still new, and they were interested in deepening their commitment with no pressure. Coming from different religious traditions (one Jewish, one Christian), neither felt fully at home in each others house of worship, yet each were committed to their own beliefs. The wedding we held with them on the North Shore brought their families together in a ceremony they helped design, which meaningfully blended traditions and symbols, but remained uniquely theirs.  All couples are welcome: multi-faith, GLBTQAI, agnostic and religious. We provide support for a wide variety of religious traditions.

Religious Affiliations

Buddhist, Christian, Interfaith, Jewish, Secular, Spiritual, Unitarian

Getting Engaged, Premarital Counseling, Ceremony, Wedding

690 Cleveland Ave South, Saint Paul, MN All over Minnesota (651) 247-2650

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Rita G

We could not be happier that we chose Rabbi Alan to officiate our interfaith wedding on 10/15/17. Our guests have been consistently raving about how warm our ceremony was and how well Rabbi Alan explained everything. Not only did he make all of our guests feel welcome, my... Read More non-Jewish husband immediately connected with Rabbi Alan and was so impressed with how thoughtful and welcoming he was. Rabbi Alan took the time to get to know us and take note of what was important for our ceremony. He allowed us to shape the ceremony into what we wanted it to be, providing us with direction and advice along the way. We feel very lucky to have had Rabbi Alan be a part of our very special day.

Reviewed on 7/13/2017 Laurel B

My husband and I are so glad we took a chance on Rabbi Alan! There were no reviews on The Knot, but from our first meeting , we knew he would be the perfect officiant. He gave off a calmly assertive vibe, which is exactly what we needed as a young and maritally-clueless... Read More couple. He lead us through the PREPARE-ENRICH premarital counseling course, a helpful tool to grow as a couple before marriage while also getting to know our officiant. We are not a religious couple in the traditional sense-- I am a former church goer, and my husband is vaguely Lutheran. Rabbi Alan was incredibly open-minded about this. He helped us craft a nature-oriented ceremony that spoke to our values, incorporated our love of beer through a unity ceremony, and also helped us lead the guests in a four-part arrangement of "Irish Blessing!" He threw in some excellent deadpan humor, which helped ease our nerves during the ceremony and kept the guests entertained, too. I honestly think guests talked more about the ceremony than anything else-- they expressed how touching, personal, and beautiful it was, and I even had a few people ask if Rabbi Alan was a family friend! Rabbi Alan led the blessing during the meal, and I was impressed with how he incorporated his own beliefs and religious traditions while also being respectful of the multitude of viewpoints in the room. Overall, if you are looking for someone to deliver you nonjudgmental premarital counseling, an open-minded perspective, and a thoughtful ceremony, I highly recommend Rabbi Alan.

Reviewed on 7/01/2017 Shannon S

We spent almost six months trying to find someone to officiate an interfaith (Jewish/Catholic) wedding. Then we found Rabbi Alan! He worked closely with us to plan a beautiful ceremony that equally represented both of our faith heritages. Additionally, we worked with Rabbi Alan... Read More to complete a pre wedding Prepare and Enrich course. It was a great way for Rabbi Alan to get to know us and for us to prepare for our wedding day! Would recommend working with him and By The Rivers to anyone!

Reviewed on 9/02/2017 Joanna W

Rabbi Alan spent almost a year helping us plan our ideal wedding. He was warm, friendly and wonderful to work with. We received so many compliments on the ceremony he put together for us. We couldn't have been happier!

Reviewed on 8/26/2017 Sia P

Rabbi Alan was the perfect officiant. He worked with us as we built a ceremony that combined my wife and I’s Jewish and Episcopalian traditions. He spoke eloquently and made wedding guests of every background feel welcome and involved in the ceremony. Behind the scenes, he was... Read More calming presence on a day that felt like a whirlwind. We couldn’t recommend him more.

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Liza S

Rabbi Alan was our officiant for our North Shore wedding and he could not have done a more perfect job! We first met Rabbi Alan during our Prepare and Enrich sessions leading up to the wedding. My husband and I soon looked forward to the times that we got to meet with Rabbi... Read More Alan and learn a little bit more about ourselves and our relationship. Given the time that we had to get to know Rabbi Alan, he personalized our ceremony to us. My husband and I enjoy running and Rabbi Alan did a wonderful job of incorporating the aspect of running into our ceremony. He did a great job of explaining why certain traditions were taking place since not everyone at the wedding was Jewish (it was an interfaith marriage). We received so many compliments from friends and family about how beautiful the ceremony was and what a great job Rabbi Alan did. We would recommend him in a heartbeat!

Rabbi Alan Shavit-Lonstein

Rabbi Alan Shavit-Lonstein is the founding Director of By The Rivers: A Mulit-Faith Life Cycle + Learning Center. He strives to provide meaningful, personal life cycle ceremonies for people of all religious backgrounds, and to make learning accessible to people of all ages. He is Rabbi in Residence at the Jay Phillips Center, Associate Chaplain at University of St. Thomas, and a member of the Interfaith Family Network. He also works as a Genius at the Apple Store at Ridgedale. Rabbi Shavit-Lonstein enjoys running, and has completed several marathons, in addition, he is an avid SciFi fan.