"cake is served on the happiest days of your life"

mary winslow started take the cake as a perfect way to channel her passion for art and baking. now with cake-chicago.com, mary's legacy of beautiful, quality wedding cakes continues with exquisite custom cakes, and now affordable basic cakes that can be ordered online.

Dietary Options

D692bc15 0755 426d 96a9 fb6ea89c4786~rs 100

1635 W. Walnut, Chicago, IL (312) 850-4530

Very pleased!

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Anne D

We got our wedding back from "cake" and it was truly the best wedding cake I've ever had. Many of our guests made a point to tell us this as well. The service we received was very professional and helpful from the scheduling of appointments, to tasting and payment. They... Read More delivered exactly what they said they would and were a pleasure with which to work. It was not inexpensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend them to other brides.

wedding cake

Reviewed on 5/13/2015 Rick W

We went for our tasting on the coldest day of the year in February 2015 and were met by 2 of the friendliest people in Mary and Gretchen. From the minute we walked in we knew we were in good hands. As we sat down and began the tasting both of us knew that this was going to be... Read More an awesome cake. On the day of the wedding the cake out did our expectations. The design was exactly as was drawn on the day of the tasting. It was so beautiful and elegant with the modern classic look we both were looking for. We hated to cut in to it but did and it tasted awesome. All our guests commented on how well it tasted. We highly recommend that anyone looking for a cake call them and make an appointment.

YUM!!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Kristy W

Our wedding cake from Cake Chicago was beautiful and more importantly, delicious!!! The cake tasting process was very easy and fun. We didn't know what design we wanted first, so Mary talked us through the different design ideas. After we figured out what we wanted, Mary was... Read More able provide us with a sketch of the cake and suggested areas to improve the design. We were really happy with our cake and would recommend Cake Chicago to others!

Reviewed on 12/13/2017 Jackie C

We absolutely loved our wedding cake from cake-chicago. Joanne is amazing and she made the whole experience so much fun!

Reviewed on 12/06/2017 Meghan C

We worked with Joanne at Cake Chicago and had the best experience! She is amazing and a true artist. Not only was our cake PERFECTION (from the look to the taste) she even mastered a sweets table for us. Highly recommend this bakery!!

Reviewed on 11/08/2017 Mandy J

Joanne is absolutely wonderful to work with and her cakes are not only beautiful but delicious! We worked with Joanne for our wedding and our guests could not stop raving about how good the cake was. They even polished off more at brunch the next day. Highly recommend her... Read More chocolate cake and salted caramel filling, but you really can’t go wrong with anything! Joanne is passionate about her craft, and made our tasting and decision process so much fun. She put our minds at ease and could tackle any design. Thank you Joanne for being such a big part of our day, we hope to work with you again soon!

Reviewed on 11/07/2017 Brianna R

Amazing cake! All our guests loved it and the cake team was so easy to work with! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Shelli P

Jo-Anne at Cake Chicago made the cake of my dreams for our wedding. I consider myself to be a cake expert and I am very picky. Cake's cake is so amazing I have not yet found another bakery to rival them. They are also one of the only places that does true Italian... Read More buttercream. Jo-Anne is super responsive and did everything to make sure we had exactly what we wanted. I will be having cake Chicago make cakes for all of m special occasions going forward.

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Christina R

Cake-Chicago did such a great job on our wedding cake! It was beautiful and delicious!! Our guests kept taking pictures of the cake and saying how wonderful it looked. Our guests also kept raving about how delicious the cake was. We were so happy and all this would have not been... Read More possible without Cake-Chicago! Thanks so much Joanne for making our wedding cake come alive and delicious! :)

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Colleen S

Wedding Cake is usually about how pretty it looks, and you miss out on the flavor. Our Wedding Cake and Grooms Cake from Cake-Chicago was not only beautiful, but the best cake I have ever eaten.

Reviewed on 11/05/2017 Gina C

We had our wedding back in September and were lucky enough to have a cake from Cake-Chicago included in our package. Our tasting and planning session with Jo-Anne was so much fun! It was so difficult to choose just one of her delicious flavors that we ended up selecting two... Read More different cakes and three different fillings. Not only was our cake stunningly beautiful, but we are still receiving compliments from guests on how it was the best they've ever tasted. My husband and I often joke that we're looking forward to our first anniversary just for the cake!

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Ashley B

This was the best wedding cake ever! We had chocolate fudge cake with fudge frosting as well as red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and BOTH were to die for! We are still getting compliments on our cake a month later. We custom designed our cake and it turned out... Read More beautiful! The only complaint was our initials were not how we envisioned but that is only a minor detail.

Reviewed on 10/19/2017

Exactly as expected for our Wedding cake; on time delivery, neat appearance, so delicious!

Reviewed on 10/15/2017 Kristen F

Our experience with Cake Chicago was fantastic. Our tasting was really fun and the consultant was so great letting us try all different combinations of cake and filling to make our selection. On the wedding day the cake looked exactly like we had ordered and it tasted great! Our... Read More guests raved about it and we are so excited to have the top layer on our anniversary.

Reviewed on 9/26/2017 Samantha J

We had a combination of banana cake, chocolate and strawberry preserves. It was DELICIOUS. Our guests were raving about it! Jo-Anne was so great to work with. Her and her team are so talented. It was almost too pretty to eat!

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Brooke S

Cake Chicago is absolutely wonderful!! Their cakes with the designs and flavors are something else! I can't wait to go back there again for more occasions. Joanne is the absolute best to work with & so incredibly sweet! You can't go wrong with Cake Chicago!

Reviewed on 8/18/2017 Jessica F

Our wedding cake was DELICIOUS and beautiful! We really enjoyed working with Joanne! She was kind, patient, and is a truly gifted baker. She even designed a Patriots-themed grooms cake that got rave reviews at our wedding. I highly recommend this company.

Reviewed on 7/29/2017 Morgan D

Absolutely phenomenal cake. And they are all stunning. They are super easy to work with and will make exactly what you want happen. I have been wanting another piece since! Highly highly recommend!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Michelle T

Let me start at the beginning. I got engaged in December 2016 and decided to have our wedding in July 2017. With all of the planning I completely forgot to find a cake vendor and was starting to panic. Quotes were coming in way over what we could spend for our small 50 person... Read More cocktail reception that I actually thought about making my own wedding cake. (yeah I know right..?) I was invited to the 'Wedding Show' at the InterContinental Hotel on Michigan Ave by a friend that said there might be cake vendors there and that I should go with her. That's when I met Joanne, the owner of CAKE. She had some tasty samples, an amazing cake display and talked passionately about her cakes that I knew I had to have a consultation with her. CAKE was so convenient to get to. My fiance and I hopped on the Green line and she was right around the corner from the Ashland stop. I don't want to say that we are food snobs but we were looking for something more special than a yellow or chocolate cake. This was the first tasting I had ever been to and the flavors were nothing that I had ever tasted. They were rich and flavorful and tasted how I imagined my wedding cake to taste like. She described how everything is made with 100% real European butter for the best taste and how all of her compotes were made from scratch, which you can clearly taste. There was no pressure as to what kind of cake we should get. She let our palettes figure out the best pairings and we ended up going with a hazelnut cake with coconut cream and strawberry compote with an Italian meringue buttercream coating. It was to die for. By the end of our tasting I wanted to invite Joanne to our wedding. SERIOUSLY. She is so passionate about what she does that I felt 100% confident that she could deliver us a beautiful delicious cake. Not only is Joanne a fantastic baker but she LITERALLY has a PhD in Food Science. (cherry on top) Which took so much stress off of my shoulders. After the tasting I was a bit worried that we would end up with a thousand dollar cake but she kept us within budget and stayed in constant communication with us up until the cake was delivered.. Needless to say we will be buying all of our cakes from her from now on. Thank you Joanne and your team for all your hard work! Michelle T.

Reviewed on 7/09/2017 Megan S

I did research on Gluten-Free bakeries as I knew our wedding would be 100% GF. Fast-forward...We contracted with Trump Hotel without knowing that the cake was included. I then called Cake Chicago and was informed that it was included which you can't not believe the relief... Read More after that conversation. The Joanne and her team were great to work with. We did the tasting at their location. The gf cake is to die for and she really knows what she's talking about. It's not cardboard and with filings, she's done the R&D. We choose a 6 tier cake (4 tier cake with 2 faux tiers). 5 Tiers were Vanilla Cake/Strawberry filing/Chocolate Cake/Chocolate Mousse/Vanilla Cake/Strawberry filing/Chocolate Cake. The top tier is Vanilla Cake/Salted Caramel/Vanilla Cake/Chocolate Mousse/Chocolate Cake/Tiramisu/Chocolate Cake. He likes Chocolate/Tiramisu and I like Vanilla/Caramel. They also helped me pull off the Groom's Cake surprise. I told them about the surprise and design prior to the tasting. So through the tasting my husband wanted tiramisu and the tuxedo (van./choc./van./choc.) but I talked him out of it. I told him that not everyone has that taste, blah blah blah. I know it was manipulative but it was for a good cause. My family that came with knew what I was up to also. He stopped in the bathroom before we left so I then which told Joanne, that's what cake to make the Millennium Falcon Groom's Cake and we could work out the details by phone/email. (The day of...) His expression was priceless and he loved it. Everyone was raving about both cakes but they loves the creativity of the Mil. Falcon. No one knew that it was gluten-free unless we told them. Joanne did offer to bring 4 non-gf pieces for those who had nut allergies as the gf cake has nuts in it. We had 2 wedding cake pieces left for us (and the topper) and about 1/2 of the grooms cake to take home. The rest was devoured. I'll never go anywhere else for gluten free cake. Thank you so much Joanne & team! (See Yelp for pictures)

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Sally C

Joanne and her team were wonderful! They were able to make our sprinkle/confetti wedding cake a reality! It was beautiful and I highly recommend the confetti/chocolate/buttercream combination! Super delicious!

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Leea H

We were referred to Mary by our wedding reception venue, and we could not be happier with how our wedding cake turned out! I had a vision and Mary captured that vision perfectly! Our cake was so beautiful we didn't even want to eat it, but then again it looked so good we... Read More couldn't wait to eat it! Mary's cakes are so perfect and the flavoring is amazing!!! We chose to have red velvet cake and cream cheese buttercream (to die for) and chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream! It was such a great combination and with how moist and creamy Mary's cakes and buttercream are you will be very happy and so will your stomach! I wish I could reorder our wedding cake everyday just to be able to eat it again that's how good it was! If you are getting married, you have to choose Cake Chicago, you will not regret it!

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Nick P

Joanne was great to work with. She helped us create a beautiful looking, phenomenal tasting cake! Thank you!

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Chelsea G

We got married last weekend and we got the cake from Cake Sweet Food Chicago. The cake was delicious, creative and the whole process was wonderful working with them from beginning to end!

Reviewed on 6/19/2017 Linda L

My new husband and I highly recommend cake-Chicago. It was the most beautiful and delicious cake. Everybody raved about the cake! We definitely would order from them again. Thanks, for making our wedding day so delicious . Linda & Marc

Mary Winslow

Mary majored in marketing and accounting at DePaul University, eventually finding herself in publishing sales. After marriage and two children, she rediscovered her love of baking and decided to pursue her baking dreams . In 1994 she started a two year apprenticeship with Bittersweet Bakery and Blue Plate catering. In 1997 she branched out on her own and formed take the cake. Soon Mary was supplying cakes for many retail clients as well as managing a thriving wholesale business to hotels which continues today.