"cake is served on the happiest days of your life"

mary winslow started take the cake in 2000 as a perfect way to channel her passion for art and baking. now with cake-chicago.com, mary's legacy of beautiful, quality wedding cakes continues with exquisite custom cakes, and now affordable basic cakes that can be ordered online.

$$$ - Moderate

1635 W. Walnut, Chicago, IL

Very pleased!

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Anne D

We got our wedding back from "cake" and it was truly the best wedding cake I've ever had. Many of our guests made a point to tell us this as well. The service we received was very professional and helpful from the scheduling of appointments, to tasting and payment. They delivered exactly what they said they would and were a pleasure with which to work. It was not inexpensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend them to other brides.

wedding cake

Reviewed on 5/13/2015 Rick W

We went for our tasting on the coldest day of the year in February 2015 and were met by 2 of the friendliest people in Mary and Gretchen. From the minute we walked in we knew we were in good hands. As we sat down and began the tasting both of us knew that this was going to be an awesome cake. On the day of the wedding the cake out did our expectations. The design was exactly as was drawn on the day of the tasting. It was so beautiful and elegant with the modern classic look we both were looking for. We hated to cut in to it but did and it tasted awesome. All our guests commented on how well it tasted. We highly recommend that anyone looking for a cake call them and make an appointment.

YUM!!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Kristy W

Our wedding cake from Cake Chicago was beautiful and more importantly, delicious!!! The cake tasting process was very easy and fun. We didn't know what design we wanted first, so Mary talked us through the different design ideas. After we figured out what we wanted, Mary was able provide us with a sketch of the cake and suggested areas to improve the design. We were really happy with our cake and would recommend Cake Chicago to others!

The best wedding cake ever!

Reviewed on 5/03/2015 Alicia B

Cake was amazing to work with and they delivered the wedding cake of my dreams! My husband and I had a blast at the tasting! However, nothing could prepare us for how beautiful and delicious our wedding cake was at our wedding! It was so fantastic, I tried to order my birthday cake from them as well! People are still taking about how good the cake was at our wedding!

Beautiful & Delicious

Reviewed on 1/14/2015 Dana S

I was extremely happy with our wedding cake. I had only emailed Gretchen a few pictures that I found on Pinterest for some inspiration. I admit that I was a little nervous about how the cake would turn out and if it would look like I was imagining it. Then when I saw it on our wedding day, I was stunned! It was amazing and looked just like what I had tried to describe through emails and pictures! And the taste and quality was incredible. I highly recommend Cake and Gretchen. You'll be in good hands with her.

Elegant Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 1/12/2015

There are no words good enough to describe Cake! From start to finish the people that I worked with were amazing! They really worked with me to ensure that they made the cake that I wanted! The cake? It tasted sooo good!! Usually wedding cake is dry and doesn't have much of a taste.. this cake was incredible!! All of my guests commented on how good the cake was! You would be very foolish not to use Cake!

Amazing Cake

Reviewed on 1/11/2015 Sally L

We loved our wedding cake! Although we were too busy running around on our wedding night to actually eat any, we loved the tasting we had with Cake Chicago to pick out our flavors. The design on our cake was exactly what we wanted and came out perfect. All of our guests loved the cake and the fact that they got to choose between two different types. We cannot wait for our one year anniversary so we can eat our topper :)

Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 1/04/2015 Debra W

I cannot recommend "cake" enough! From the tasting, to the design of my daughter's vision of her wedding cake, to it's creation.....a fantastic experience. Mary is so accommodating, thoughtful and truly an artist. The cake was beautiful, but just as important it was exceptionally delicious! We received so many compliments and we ate every bit including the newlywed's cake that was to be saved for their first anniversary. We ate it with them the next morning!!! It was white cake with creme brulee and salted caramel. AMAZING!

Best Tasting Wedding Cake I have Ever Had

Reviewed on 12/16/2014

I was married this past weekend at Loews Chicago O'Hare. Cake - Chicago provides the cakes for the venue. The cake was of course delicious, one of the best I have ever had! But I absolutely love that Gretchen sits with you and designs your cake with you. Although my cake was included in the package, she made me feel that mine could still be special by design. They incorporated the flowers from my dress onto the cake perfectly. A definite recommend for anyone cake shopping!

Better than Cake

Reviewed on 12/15/2014 Kristin B

This vendor was professional, creative, and so easy to work with! They even checked in a few nights before the wedding to make sure we were all squared away. We had the idea of having the Chicago skyline on our cake and it was simple yet elegant. It came out exactly as we had imagined, even better! All of our guests LOVED the cake - we especially recommend the salted caramel filling, that was such a hit! Finally, it didn't even taste like cake; it tasted like a moist muffin! I highly recommend this place! They made our dream cake!

Thank You Cake-Chicago!

Reviewed on 11/19/2014 Jennifer K

Cake-Chicago created an absolutely delicious and beautiful cake for our wedding this past Saturday, November 15th. From the tasting experience to the final creation, Cake-Chicago was wonderful, and we highly recommend them. Thank you so much for our wedding cake, we will never forget it! Jennifer and Mark Scheuer

Thrilled

Reviewed on 11/16/2014 Jaclyn G

We were thrilled with our wedding cake! It looked beautiful and was so delicious!

Beautiful AND Delicious Cake!

Reviewed on 11/14/2014 Chelsea H

Cake-Chicago make our wedding cake for our 10-18-14 wedding and it was outstanding! I showed them a picture of something I ripped out of a magazine and they made mine look EXACTLY like the picture! Not to mention we chose carrot cake with salted caramel & cream cheese fillings! AMAZING!

AWESOME!!

Reviewed on 11/10/2014 Carly H

Cake-Chicago made our wedding cake and it was AMAZING!! Not only was it beautiful, but it was so delicious. We got a ton of compliments from our guests about how tasty it was. The whole process was very easy with them - we had tasting in their cute bakery and got to try a ton of different flavors. We narrowed it down and decided to do two tiers with red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting, and the other tiers with yellow cake and buttercream filling. YUM! Thank you cake-chicago!!

Delicious!

Reviewed on 11/03/2014 Jennifer S

Cake-chicago was such a wonderful vendor to work with! They were easy to communicate with through e-mail and Gretchen and Mary were wonderful to work with. I am a pretty indecisive bride and Mary helped me choose the perfect design and fillings. We went with a yellow buttercake with cream cheese and bittersweet chocolate mousse. Our cake was beautiful and delicious! We got many compliments from guests on how much they enjoyed our wedding cake. I highly recommend choosing cake-chicago for your wedding cake.

Delicious!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Nicole N

We could not be happier with our wedding cake from Cake Chicago! Design-wise, we opted for a very simple three-tier square cake, with fresh flowers and it turned out perfect. Their unique flavors are the best, hands down, and guests raved about how good the cake was. We would definitely recommend Cake Chicago!!

Disney Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 10/23/2014 Cristina M

I absolutely LOVED my wedding cake!!! It was better in person than I had imagined! Gretchen and Mary were amazing!

Wedding Cake Heaven

Reviewed on 10/18/2014 Melissa S

The staff at Cake - Chicago created an amazing wedding cake that our guests went crazy over. Mary and Gretchen were a pleasure to work with and the cake design and tasting was definitely the best part of the wedding planning! Everyone came up to us afterward to comment how delicious it was. For sure, order extra so your guests can take some home.

Best cake. EVER.

Reviewed on 10/13/2014 Amy K

We LOVED our wedding cake! My husband and I knew that we wanted something not too sweet and different than what people typically eat as cake at a wedding...so at our tasting we tried a few interesting options. We settled on the orange almond cake with two layers of cinnamon, one middle layer of nutella, and italian meringue icing. It was literally a slice of heaven!! None of the flavors were too strong or overpowering and complimented each other quite nicely. Many of our guests told us it was some of the best cake they've ever tasted. Cake Sweet Food Chicago is the absolute best, hands down.

Excellent cake

Reviewed on 10/07/2014 Stefania S

Cake Chicago provided the cake for our wedding and we couldn't have been happier with our cake. Everything from the design to the quality and taste, we were proud of our cake. We were invited in for a tasting and we designed our cake at that point, and everything turned out perfectly. Very highly recommended, they were a pleasure to work with.

Unbelievable cake!

Reviewed on 10/01/2014 Aileen H

We went through this vendor since our reception location uses this place for the cake. Even from the tasting, I knew our cake was going to be fantastic! It was so fresh, and there was a good mix of classic and creative flavors. We had have so many compliments about people loving our cake, even from people who normally don't like sweets. Thanks so much for making our cake a hit at the wedding!

Amazing customer service and gorgeous cake sweets table for my wedding

Reviewed on 9/23/2014 Leah A

I had heard great things about "Cake" from several vendors and multiple wedding planners and was excited to go for a trial. At the trial they patiently explained the process and gave my fiance and I ample time (and as much cake and frosting as needed) to sample. After an hour or so, we decided on our cake flavor. The cake is hands down the best cake flavor/texture/level of moist I've ever had. A few weeks later my mom really wanted to try some of the cake flavors as well, and Mary and Gretchen were so kind to accommodate her wishes and set us up with a "to go" package with our requested flavors (we were on a tight schedule). Their service was top notch. I changed my mind on small details numerous times and even changed plans from having one large cake to having a cake "sweets" table (so five smaller cakes) all with different flavors and design. They were again so agreeable and flexible and helped me create exactly what I envisioned. On my wedding day, the cakes looked exactly as I had hoped and tasted incredible. I was completely satisfied. I will only go to "Cake" in the future for any cakes that I need. Everyone told me that it was the best wedding cake(s) they had ever had.

Delicious Wedding Cake!

Reviewed on 9/22/2014 John S

We used cake-chicago because it was part of the package included with our reception at the Blackstone hotel. We're so glad that they work with each other, because this truly was one of the best cakes we've ever eaten! The cake tasted fantastic. One of my uncles said he usually doesn't like wedding cakes, but always tries them--he ate his entire piece and said it was the best cake he's ever had (including the cake from his own wedding). It was incredibly easy to work with Gretchen and Mary. They were easily accessible via email, and after our tasting, we never really had anything to worry about. Cake was delivered on time, we had plenty for everybody, and we got to keep both our top tier and the second tier. It's 2 days later, and half of the second tier has been eaten already. Can't wait for the 1 year anniversary to eat the top tier! We would strongly recommend working with cake-chicago if you want to have a delicious cake and an easy experience during your wedding planning!

Absolutely Delicious

Reviewed on 9/19/2014 Kerry L

Gretchen was a pleasure to work with from the detailed tasting and design session to coordination with delivery to our venue, cake exceeded our expectations. Our guests repeatedly said it was the best wedding cake they had ever eaten! The cake was truly a work of art and simply stunning. Thank you for adding some delicious sweetness to our special day!!

The most beautiful wedding cake there ever was!-and it tasted amazing!

Reviewed on 9/17/2014 Katherine L

I had my wedding at The Blackstone so Cake was my only option and my entire experience was amazing!! It was really important to me that my cake be beautiful but also taste amazing and it was! Mary came up with the best flavor combination--chocolate, buttercream, raspberry, and red velvet!--and her design knocked my socks off. She is truly a cake artist and has an amazing vision. She took all our feedback and came back with a sketch that was nothing that I was expecting and everything I wanted. It was refreshing to see a new concept and something I hadn't seen on Pinterest or at other weddings. It made my cake feel like mine. They are amazing at what they do!

TO cake-chicago