"cake is served on the happiest days of your life"

mary winslow started take the cake as a perfect way to channel her passion for art and baking. now with cake-chicago.com, mary's legacy of beautiful, quality wedding cakes continues with exquisite custom cakes, and now affordable basic cakes that can be ordered online.

Dietary Options

Gluten Free

Cake Delivery + Setup, Cake Tastings, Cakes + Desserts

1635 W. Walnut, Chicago, IL

Very pleased!

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Anne D

We got our wedding back from "cake" and it was truly the best wedding cake I've ever had. Many of our guests made a point to tell us this as well. The service we received was very professional and helpful from the scheduling of appointments, to tasting and payment. They... Read More delivered exactly what they said they would and were a pleasure with which to work. It was not inexpensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend them to other brides.

wedding cake

Reviewed on 5/13/2015 Rick W

We went for our tasting on the coldest day of the year in February 2015 and were met by 2 of the friendliest people in Mary and Gretchen. From the minute we walked in we knew we were in good hands. As we sat down and began the tasting both of us knew that this was going to be... Read More an awesome cake. On the day of the wedding the cake out did our expectations. The design was exactly as was drawn on the day of the tasting. It was so beautiful and elegant with the modern classic look we both were looking for. We hated to cut in to it but did and it tasted awesome. All our guests commented on how well it tasted. We highly recommend that anyone looking for a cake call them and make an appointment.

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Kristy W

Our wedding cake from Cake Chicago was beautiful and more importantly, delicious!!! The cake tasting process was very easy and fun. We didn't know what design we wanted first, so Mary talked us through the different design ideas. After we figured out what we wanted, Mary was... Read More able provide us with a sketch of the cake and suggested areas to improve the design. We were really happy with our cake and would recommend Cake Chicago to others!

Phenomenal Cake

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Maja C

Not only delicious, the presentation is excellent. SUPERB!

Beautiful Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 9/02/2015 Jessica F

This place is absolutely amazing! Gretchen was very helpful with picking out the design while keeping my colors and decorations in mind and helping us pick the right flavors to mix together. The day of my wedding when I first saw my cake I was speechless. It was better than I... Read More imagined it to look and it tasted amazing! People from my wedding are still talking about the cake and my wedding was almost two months ago. I would definitely recommend Cake to any bride planning their wedding!

Alexa Cowie

Reviewed on 8/28/2015 Alexa B

They did an amazing job! The cake was beautiful! We were so pleased with the service and of course of the quality! Guests even asked where the cake was from and told us how delicious it was! Gretchen and Mary do fabulous job and are so friendly!

Absolutely Wonderful

Reviewed on 8/12/2015 Sarah K

Cake-Chicago was absolutely amazing! My fiancé and I had the best experience working with Mary and her team. My fiancé and I were unsure about flavors for our wedding cake and Mary completely took us under her wing throughout the entire process. She quickly was able to put... Read More together the most delicious flavor combinations and made the process so fun and easy for us! We were even able to show her a photo of the cake I had been dreaming about and on the day of our wedding it was absolutely perfect! We couldn't have asked for a better experience, better looking cake or a more delicious cake for our guests and our day. Thank you so much to Mary and the Cake-Chicago team!

Amazing Cake

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Jennifer L

From the tasting to the final product Cake - Chicago was outstanding. The cake was beautiful and was exactly what we wanted. We had guests tell us that it was the best wedding cake they ever tasted.

Reviewed on 8/10/2015 Emily S

My husband and I absolutely loved the cake we designed and ordered with cake-chicago. The tasting was one-on-one, and full attention and consideration was given to us throughout the process. They were very concerned with giving us a design, taste, and experience we were... Read More satisfied with. Our wedding guests, as well as us, were all so happy with how the design and taste of the cake turned out - it was exactly how we wanted it to be! We loved using cake-chicago; it was such a wonderful experience, and we will be use to use them for any future functions that may come up!

Reviewed on 8/04/2015 Samantha W

We had something very specific in mind and they were able to customize it perfectly. The look of the cake was a stunning masterpiece. The taste was even better!!!

cake is great!

Reviewed on 8/04/2015 Samantha S

from the tasting process to the final product, cake was a first class group to work with. I changed my mind on style towards the end and they prepared an updated sketch for my approval within 24 hours. very reliable and the finished product was so splendid! I 100% recommend... Read More them.

Perfect Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Lauryn A

When I went to Cake, I had a very specific vision in mind: something simple, yet romantic, and big on flavor. And WOW! Cake delivered! Our tasting experience was so fun. Gretchen offered up so many delicious options, and helped us pick the cake we felt was best suited for our... Read More wedding design. When I walked into our reception, I was so excited to see the cake of my dreams right in the middle of the dance floor. Our friends are STILL raving about how delicious it tasted.

So Happy With Everything!

Reviewed on 7/28/2015 Brittany F

Mary and Gretchen were wonderful to work with. They paid attention to detail and the cake not only looked amazing the taste was out of this world! I am so happy we used them for our wedding!

Reviewed on 7/16/2015 Emily F

This was the best cake I have ever had! I am usually not a cake person...and wedding cakes are really not my favorite (usually dry and boring). However, this cake was incredibly good on the big day (way better than even the tasting that we had!). We got the chocolate with... Read More sea salt caramel filling = TO. DIE. FOR. It also looked perfect and beautiful...exactly as the pictures showed. All of the guests that we spoke to complimented our cake and said it was the best that they had ever had. Finally, Gretchen was a pleasure to work with and make everything easy (which during wedding planning was a huge relief). I can really recommend Cake Chicago, Gretchen and chocolate sea salt combo! YUM!

Beautiful and YUMMY wedding cake!

Reviewed on 7/01/2015 Francesca S

Everything about cake chicago is perfection! From the first tasting meeting to tasting the most delicious wedding cake at the wedding! The ladies at cake were friendly and knowledgeable. They created a bunch of flavor combinations that I never thought about before that were... Read More outstanding! My cake was truly one of the most beautiful and delicious cakes. Thank you cake chicago! People are still talking about the cake!

Reviewed on 6/15/2015 Emily M

Our experience with Cake Chicago was outstanding. From the first phone call we knew that they would be delightful to work with. They were very clear in communicating the process, the delightful tasting was extensive and the eventual design was exquisite. They even asked for a... Read More sample or picture of the lace in the gown to make sure they matched it as accurately as possible. During and after the reception, we had countless comments on how utterly delicious the cake was (something that is often not the case with wedding cakes). We would recommend Cake Chicago to anyone who wants the absolute highest quality wedding cake available.

Reviewed on 6/09/2015

Our Cake was nothing short of a work of art. Our guests were stunned to see such a creation. And the taste was exactly as we had planned it in our prep meetings - delicious to a whole new level of flavor. Thanks Mary!

The best wedding cake ever!

Reviewed on 5/03/2015 Alicia B

Cake was amazing to work with and they delivered the wedding cake of my dreams! My husband and I had a blast at the tasting! However, nothing could prepare us for how beautiful and delicious our wedding cake was at our wedding! It was so fantastic, I tried to order my birthday... Read More cake from them as well! People are still taking about how good the cake was at our wedding!

Beautiful & Delicious

Reviewed on 1/14/2015 Dana S

I was extremely happy with our wedding cake. I had only emailed Gretchen a few pictures that I found on Pinterest for some inspiration. I admit that I was a little nervous about how the cake would turn out and if it would look like I was imagining it. Then when I saw it on our... Read More wedding day, I was stunned! It was amazing and looked just like what I had tried to describe through emails and pictures! And the taste and quality was incredible. I highly recommend Cake and Gretchen. You'll be in good hands with her.

Elegant Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 1/12/2015

There are no words good enough to describe Cake! From start to finish the people that I worked with were amazing! They really worked with me to ensure that they made the cake that I wanted! The cake? It tasted sooo good!! Usually wedding cake is dry and doesn't have much of... Read More a taste.. this cake was incredible!! All of my guests commented on how good the cake was! You would be very foolish not to use Cake!

Amazing Cake

Reviewed on 1/11/2015 Sally L

We loved our wedding cake! Although we were too busy running around on our wedding night to actually eat any, we loved the tasting we had with Cake Chicago to pick out our flavors. The design on our cake was exactly what we wanted and came out perfect. All of our guests loved... Read More the cake and the fact that they got to choose between two different types. We cannot wait for our one year anniversary so we can eat our topper :)

Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 1/04/2015 Debra W

I cannot recommend "cake" enough! From the tasting, to the design of my daughter's vision of her wedding cake, to it's creation.....a fantastic experience. Mary is so accommodating, thoughtful and truly an artist. The cake was beautiful, but just as important it was... Read More exceptionally delicious! We received so many compliments and we ate every bit including the newlywed's cake that was to be saved for their first anniversary. We ate it with them the next morning!!! It was white cake with creme brulee and salted caramel. AMAZING!

Best Tasting Wedding Cake I have Ever Had

Reviewed on 12/16/2014

I was married this past weekend at Loews Chicago O'Hare. Cake - Chicago provides the cakes for the venue. The cake was of course delicious, one of the best I have ever had! But I absolutely love that Gretchen sits with you and designs your cake with you. Although my cake was... Read More included in the package, she made me feel that mine could still be special by design. They incorporated the flowers from my dress onto the cake perfectly. A definite recommend for anyone cake shopping!

Better than Cake

Reviewed on 12/15/2014 Kristin B

This vendor was professional, creative, and so easy to work with! They even checked in a few nights before the wedding to make sure we were all squared away. We had the idea of having the Chicago skyline on our cake and it was simple yet elegant. It came out exactly as we had... Read More imagined, even better! All of our guests LOVED the cake - we especially recommend the salted caramel filling, that was such a hit! Finally, it didn't even taste like cake; it tasted like a moist muffin! I highly recommend this place! They made our dream cake!

Thank You Cake-Chicago!

Reviewed on 11/19/2014 Jennifer K

Cake-Chicago created an absolutely delicious and beautiful cake for our wedding this past Saturday, November 15th. From the tasting experience to the final creation, Cake-Chicago was wonderful, and we highly recommend them. Thank you so much for our wedding cake, we will never... Read More forget it! Jennifer and Mark Scheuer

Mary Winslow

Mary majored in marketing and accounting at DePaul University, eventually finding herself in publishing sales. After marriage and two children, she rediscovered her love of baking and decided to pursue her baking dreams . In 1994 she started a two year apprenticeship with Bittersweet Bakery and Blue Plate catering. In 1997 she branched out on her own and formed take the cake. Soon Mary was supplying cakes for many retail clients as well as managing a thriving wholesale business to hotels which continues today.

TO cake-chicago