"cake is served on the happiest days of your life"

mary winslow started take the cake as a perfect way to channel her passion for art and baking. now with cake-chicago.com, mary's legacy of beautiful, quality wedding cakes continues with exquisite custom cakes, and now affordable basic cakes that can be ordered online.

Dietary Options

Gluten Free

Cake Delivery + Setup, Cake Tastings, Cakes + Desserts

1635 W. Walnut, Chicago, IL (312) 850-4530

Very pleased!

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Anne D

We got our wedding back from "cake" and it was truly the best wedding cake I've ever had. Many of our guests made a point to tell us this as well. The service we received was very professional and helpful from the scheduling of appointments, to tasting and payment. They... Read More delivered exactly what they said they would and were a pleasure with which to work. It was not inexpensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend them to other brides.

wedding cake

Reviewed on 5/13/2015 Rick W

We went for our tasting on the coldest day of the year in February 2015 and were met by 2 of the friendliest people in Mary and Gretchen. From the minute we walked in we knew we were in good hands. As we sat down and began the tasting both of us knew that this was going to be... Read More an awesome cake. On the day of the wedding the cake out did our expectations. The design was exactly as was drawn on the day of the tasting. It was so beautiful and elegant with the modern classic look we both were looking for. We hated to cut in to it but did and it tasted awesome. All our guests commented on how well it tasted. We highly recommend that anyone looking for a cake call them and make an appointment.

YUM!!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Kristy W

Our wedding cake from Cake Chicago was beautiful and more importantly, delicious!!! The cake tasting process was very easy and fun. We didn't know what design we wanted first, so Mary talked us through the different design ideas. After we figured out what we wanted, Mary was... Read More able provide us with a sketch of the cake and suggested areas to improve the design. We were really happy with our cake and would recommend Cake Chicago to others!

Reviewed on 8/18/2017 Jessica F

Our wedding cake was DELICIOUS and beautiful! We really enjoyed working with Joanne! She was kind, patient, and is a truly gifted baker. She even designed a Patriots-themed grooms cake that got rave reviews at our wedding. I highly recommend this company.

Reviewed on 7/29/2017 Morgan D

Absolutely phenomenal cake. And they are all stunning. They are super easy to work with and will make exactly what you want happen. I have been wanting another piece since! Highly highly recommend!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Michelle T

Let me start at the beginning. I got engaged in December 2016 and decided to have our wedding in July 2017. With all of the planning I completely forgot to find a cake vendor and was starting to panic. Quotes were coming in way over what we could spend for our small 50 person... Read More cocktail reception that I actually thought about making my own wedding cake. (yeah I know right..?) I was invited to the 'Wedding Show' at the InterContinental Hotel on Michigan Ave by a friend that said there might be cake vendors there and that I should go with her. That's when I met Joanne, the owner of CAKE. She had some tasty samples, an amazing cake display and talked passionately about her cakes that I knew I had to have a consultation with her. CAKE was so convenient to get to. My fiance and I hopped on the Green line and she was right around the corner from the Ashland stop. I don't want to say that we are food snobs but we were looking for something more special than a yellow or chocolate cake. This was the first tasting I had ever been to and the flavors were nothing that I had ever tasted. They were rich and flavorful and tasted how I imagined my wedding cake to taste like. She described how everything is made with 100% real European butter for the best taste and how all of her compotes were made from scratch, which you can clearly taste. There was no pressure as to what kind of cake we should get. She let our palettes figure out the best pairings and we ended up going with a hazelnut cake with coconut cream and strawberry compote with an Italian meringue buttercream coating. It was to die for. By the end of our tasting I wanted to invite Joanne to our wedding. SERIOUSLY. She is so passionate about what she does that I felt 100% confident that she could deliver us a beautiful delicious cake. Not only is Joanne a fantastic baker but she LITERALLY has a PhD in Food Science. (cherry on top) Which took so much stress off of my shoulders. After the tasting I was a bit worried that we would end up with a thousand dollar cake but she kept us within budget and stayed in constant communication with us up until the cake was delivered.. Needless to say we will be buying all of our cakes from her from now on. Thank you Joanne and your team for all your hard work! Michelle T.

Reviewed on 7/09/2017 Megan S

I did research on Gluten-Free bakeries as I knew our wedding would be 100% GF. Fast-forward...We contracted with Trump Hotel without knowing that the cake was included. I then called Cake Chicago and was informed that it was included which you can't not believe the relief... Read More after that conversation. The Joanne and her team were great to work with. We did the tasting at their location. The gf cake is to die for and she really knows what she's talking about. It's not cardboard and with filings, she's done the R&D. We choose a 6 tier cake (4 tier cake with 2 faux tiers). 5 Tiers were Vanilla Cake/Strawberry filing/Chocolate Cake/Chocolate Mousse/Vanilla Cake/Strawberry filing/Chocolate Cake. The top tier is Vanilla Cake/Salted Caramel/Vanilla Cake/Chocolate Mousse/Chocolate Cake/Tiramisu/Chocolate Cake. He likes Chocolate/Tiramisu and I like Vanilla/Caramel. They also helped me pull off the Groom's Cake surprise. I told them about the surprise and design prior to the tasting. So through the tasting my husband wanted tiramisu and the tuxedo (van./choc./van./choc.) but I talked him out of it. I told him that not everyone has that taste, blah blah blah. I know it was manipulative but it was for a good cause. My family that came with knew what I was up to also. He stopped in the bathroom before we left so I then which told Joanne, that's what cake to make the Millennium Falcon Groom's Cake and we could work out the details by phone/email. (The day of...) His expression was priceless and he loved it. Everyone was raving about both cakes but they loves the creativity of the Mil. Falcon. No one knew that it was gluten-free unless we told them. Joanne did offer to bring 4 non-gf pieces for those who had nut allergies as the gf cake has nuts in it. We had 2 wedding cake pieces left for us (and the topper) and about 1/2 of the grooms cake to take home. The rest was devoured. I'll never go anywhere else for gluten free cake. Thank you so much Joanne & team! (See Yelp for pictures)

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Sally C

Joanne and her team were wonderful! They were able to make our sprinkle/confetti wedding cake a reality! It was beautiful and I highly recommend the confetti/chocolate/buttercream combination! Super delicious!

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Leea H

We were referred to Mary by our wedding reception venue, and we could not be happier with how our wedding cake turned out! I had a vision and Mary captured that vision perfectly! Our cake was so beautiful we didn't even want to eat it, but then again it looked so good we... Read More couldn't wait to eat it! Mary's cakes are so perfect and the flavoring is amazing!!! We chose to have red velvet cake and cream cheese buttercream (to die for) and chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream! It was such a great combination and with how moist and creamy Mary's cakes and buttercream are you will be very happy and so will your stomach! I wish I could reorder our wedding cake everyday just to be able to eat it again that's how good it was! If you are getting married, you have to choose Cake Chicago, you will not regret it!

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Nick P

Joanne was great to work with. She helped us create a beautiful looking, phenomenal tasting cake! Thank you!

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Chelsea G

We got married last weekend and we got the cake from Cake Sweet Food Chicago. The cake was delicious, creative and the whole process was wonderful working with them from beginning to end!

Reviewed on 6/19/2017 Linda L

My new husband and I highly recommend cake-Chicago. It was the most beautiful and delicious cake. Everybody raved about the cake! We definitely would order from them again. Thanks, for making our wedding day so delicious . Linda & Marc

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Jennifer P

The cake was prefect! The design was on point and the details such as the sugar flowers were stunning! Everyone loved the taste especially the salted carmel filing paired with chocolate. Thank you so much JoAnne & Team! James & Jennifer Adler Planetarium Wedding 6.3.17

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Scott E

Jo-Anne and her team created the greatest tasting cake I've ever had - and that's not an exaggeration! My wife and I have already decided that we won't wait until the traditional 1-year anniversary to enjoy the top tier that currently sits in our freezer - it will be much sooner... Read More than that because we are already craving to taste it again. It was absolutely perfect - and we can't thank (or recommend) the CAKE Chicago team enough! Bravo!

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Caitlin T

5 Stars! We loved our cake and the whole tasting experience. We got many compliments on our orange/olive oil cake. They are a pleasure to work with and did a fabulous job!

Reviewed on 5/31/2017 Megan B

The cake was a very important aspect for the wedding for my husband and they did an AMAZING job! They had the best cake/frostings from any of the tastings we had (by far) and they did a FANTASTIC job on our wedding cake. Not only did it taste great but it was beautiful!!! We had... Read More a pretty weird design idea and they made it even more amazing than what we imagined. I HIGHLY recommend and would work with them again for sure!!

Reviewed on 4/26/2017 Rafiya H

My daughter 'a wedding cake was gorgeous!! It tasted wonderful and we got so many complements I would highly recommend JoAnne and her staff!!!

Reviewed on 4/10/2017 Kayla K

Our cake was stunning and sooooo delicious!!!! We loved everything about it!!!!!!! Highly recommend Cake!!!!

Reviewed on 4/09/2017 Heather H

Our wedding venue included our cake in our dinner/ reception package. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of service we received from cake-chicago. We worked with Katy who was very professional, extremely responsive, and was so sweet during our tasting. Going into our... Read More tasting we had no idea of what we wanted in terms of design or flavors. Katy was so sweet and guided us during our tasting. I never thought in a million years I would have a chocolate cake, but I am so glad Katy encouraged us to try new flavor combinations! We can't wait for our one year anniversary to eat more of our cake!

Reviewed on 4/04/2017 Allison S

Our wedding cake was absolutely perfect! It was beautiful and delicious! Thanks!

Reviewed on 1/26/2017 Beth B

We recently used Cake-Chicago for our wedding. First of all, our tasting was so much fun. We were able to try many different cake and frosting flavors until we decided on white buttermilk and hazelnut cake layers with salted caramel and Nutella buttercream frosting layers... Read More finished off with buttercream on the outside. Our guests (including myself and the groom) were raving about how delicious the cake was. I only wish I had more that night! Cake-Chicago made my Pinterest dream come true and designed the cake to look exactly like the picture that I gave them to a T. It was designed with crystallized sugar to look like snow, snowflake appliqués , and our florist added on fresh pine needles, red berries, and pinecones..a winter wonderland holiday wedding cake dream come true! Thanks Cake-Chicago, I can't wait to eat our top layer in a year!

Reviewed on 1/23/2017 Donna W

The cake is perfect and the price is reasonable! They did wonderful job!

Reviewed on 1/16/2017 Erin L

Such a fun place to work with!! We had a blast at the cake tasting and it was SOOOO delicious!!

Reviewed on 1/07/2017 Genna K

So yummy and beautiful!!

Reviewed on 1/03/2017 Jenny S

Cake was absolutely wonderful to work with. They were professional and creative and made the surprise to our cake the best it could be! They quickly were able to change a layer of our cake once the Cubs won the World Series and really made it special for us. We loved it and we... Read More loved Cake!

Mary Winslow

Mary majored in marketing and accounting at DePaul University, eventually finding herself in publishing sales. After marriage and two children, she rediscovered her love of baking and decided to pursue her baking dreams . In 1994 she started a two year apprenticeship with Bittersweet Bakery and Blue Plate catering. In 1997 she branched out on her own and formed take the cake. Soon Mary was supplying cakes for many retail clients as well as managing a thriving wholesale business to hotels which continues today.