Canary Hotel Santa Barbara

Ballroom, Hotel, Rooftop

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering

31 W Carrillo St, Santa Barbara, CA

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Courtney H

I wish I could give 4.5 stars since they really did an incredible job but alas, 4 stars it is. My husband and I got married on the rooftop of the Canary hotel on August 6th, 2016. From the first day we walked up there we knew it was where we wanted to tie the knot, since we both... Read More had been to the hotel on several occasions during university in SB as well as other trips to the area thereafter. However, I don’t think that our wedding would have been as magical on that rooftop had we not worked with the oh-so-talented Liza Gomez as our catering sales manager and full liaison to the hotel. She was such a delight to work with when we were simply looking at the venue, inviting us to come over to the rooftop whenever we wanted to be sure we were making the right decision. Once we signed our contract, she was in contact with us constantly and always was both prompt and sincere in all her correspondence with us. When it came down to wedding day execution, I would say it was almost flawless. The food was incredible, the drinks were strong, and the venue was set-up exactly how I had always dreamed it would be down to every last candle and string light. There were a couple of issues with my group’s “getting ready” plans and the availability of our complimentary hotel room, but even then when the hotel got wind of said issues through the follow-up survey I received immediate response from the team to better understand where the mishaps were and to help mitigate these issues coming up for future weddings. The Canary hotel is gorgeous and their team upholds the Kimpton name. I look forward to spending my anniversaries there for many years to come.

Liza Gomez was a pleasure to work with!

Reviewed on 9/02/2015 Tanya N

We had our wedding reception on the roof top and everything was great. Liza Gomez the events coordinator was a pleasure to work with. Food, view, rooms, were great! I highly recommend Canary Hotel.

The Perfect Venue!

Reviewed on 3/31/2015 Natalia

My husband and I had to plan our wedding from overseas. I'm from Ventura, CA and he is from England, but he wanted me to be able to be have the wedding of my dreams. And let's face it, if you're going to get married in December, southern California is the place to do it! We... Read More booked the the Canary without even seeing it - that's how much I LOVED the staff. They were nothing short of AMAZING every step of the way. Alison, the catering manager, made our wedding planning process stress free, enjoyable, and even exciting! And they were so accommodating! Because of travel plans, we had to do our tasting way in advance, but they didn't even bat an eyelash. And the food - oh my, the food! We had the most difficult time just narrowing down the passed hors d'oeuvres (I think we ended up picking 6 different ones). Our guests did nothing but rave about the food from the whole wedding - cocktail hour and dinner. We couldn't have asked for anything better. We wanted to have a wedding venue that wowed, but didn't want to spend a lot of money on decor that was only going to get torn down at the end of the night. Our rooftop ceremony was absolutely gorgeous. It helped that the weather was perfect for an outdoor event in December, but the classic simplicity of the rooftop was really allowed to shine. The setting framed our ceremony perfectly, allowing guest to be surrounded by the beauty of the coast and the mountains while helping us tie the knot. The reception was moved into the ballroom the day of the wedding - this is how amazing they are! We really wanted and all outdoors wedding, but the night before the temperature dropped to where it would have been too cold to continue with our plan. They called me, recommended we moved indoors - didn't force at all - and had already drawn up a new floor plan to show us. We agreed, and the outcome was well worth it! As I said, we didn't want to spend a lot on decor, and the ballroom didn't disappoint on its own. There were still a few Christmas wreaths up around the lights and they added a certain warmth to the room. They were the perfect compliment to the aura we were trying to provide to our guests. We just loved it! They also provide elegant white linens and tables and chairs, so no additional rental is needed. Everything was pulled together so nicely. I can't emphasize enough how fabulous the staff were. They truly went above and beyond and made the experience effortless for us. We were able to put 100% of our trust in them and honestly felt at ease that they would make everything happen. When planning a wedding, there is no better feeling than complete trust in your venue!!! I can't recommend the Canary enough. Honestly, you will not regret it! Plus, you get a free nights stay on your 1 year anniversary - a brilliant perk to look forward to, especially as I promise you that you won't be able to wait to go back!

Canary Hotel: Wedding Venue Perfection

Reviewed on 11/20/2013 Michelle D

We fell in love with the rooftop of the Canary the first time we saw it and always knew it was meant to be our perfect reception venue. When the big day actually arrived, all our hopes and dreams came true. The rooftop gave us the romantic, Santa Barbara vibe we wanted for our... Read More wedding. Watching the sunset during our reception was so awesome, and our pictures are so rich because of the rooftop location. Alison Manna is the most incredible events manager and made our planning process fun. She gave us everything we asked for (and more) and always made us feel so special. Chef Siao created a phenomenal menu for us, even developing a special Belizean food station to represent our favorite vacation. Our only regret is that we couldn’t eat more food! The Canary is beautiful and centrally-located to great shops and restaurants. The guest rooms are romantic and luscious. The staff have top notch manners and hospitality and will take care of your every request. If I could, I would do it all over exactly the same way and would most definitely enjoy the Canary experience!

Great service

Reviewed on 9/09/2013 Abigail A

Alison, the catering manager at the Canary, was great. She was wonderful in helping us keep within budget. The Canary itself was also wonderful. It's such a beautiful location.

Rehearsal Dinner and wedding party lodging

Reviewed on 4/27/2013 Julia M

We stayed at The Canary with our entire wedding party for our wedding and hosted our rehearsal dinner there. The place is gorgeous and they were very sweet to work with for the most part. There were some issues, but they made it for with some comps and upgrades.

Best Hotel Ever

Reviewed on 1/25/2013 Anna L

The Canary is way beyond fabulous! Not only is the hotel beautiful/comfortable without it feeling stuffy, the staff is an absolute jem! They make this place the best! Their serices makes the difference - we brought our furry son (dog) with us over our wedding wknd, and they... Read More would take him to the front desk and let him hang out with them! We got back from both the rehearsal and wedding night, and our dog was waiting for us behind the counter! This place is amazing and we can't wait to stay there again!

Amazing down to the smallest detail

Reviewed on 12/03/2012 Lisa D

This hotel is fabulous. Every room is beautiful, every detail is lovely. And everyone who works there is helpful. Worth the expense.

Devin is fantastic

Reviewed on 10/15/2012 Jenni C

Not the smoothest process for reserving rooms, and extremely difficult to get block room rates in Santa Barbara, but Devin was fantastic and the hotel itself was so beautiful that I have to give them a 5. The Canary Suite is absurdly phenomenal. Pricey rooms, but that's what you... Read More get in SB!

Great venue!

Reviewed on 9/05/2012 Lacy E

I couldn't have chosen a better venue for my wedding with 50 guests! We fit perfectly on the roof top 'perch' and it has an amazing view and atmosphere as well. The space itself is so unique it needs very little decorating. The staff was friendly and helpful and we received a... Read More free nights stay the night of our wedding. The food was outstanding and some say it was the best wedding they have ever been to. The only downside was that we are still waiting for our itemize invoice. It's been 2.5 weeks since we got married. You just have to stay on top of them. My wedding was perfection and the Canary was a big part of it. Defiantly happy with them.

Love the Canary!

Reviewed on 10/04/2011 A R

My husband and I got married at the Canary a few weeks ago. We had our ceremony on the rooftop and moved downstairs to the ballroom for the reception. I love this hotel. It has such an artsy, unique aesthetic and everyone we worked with regarding the ceremony, reception and... Read More catering was delightful. Joanie Vazquez was our main contact and she was so helpful with everything. Any time we had any questions, she would get right back to us with the answers. Our only concern was that because part of the rooftop terrace is the hotel pool area, that we may face some unintentional bathing suit clad guests during the ceremony, but we didn't have any problems...and if there were any hotel guests at the pool that evening, I certainly didn't notice them. The rooftop ceremony was beautiful. The view from there is absolutely stunning. The reception in the ballroom was excellent. It was a little tight, but we knew what we were getting into when we invited so many people. The food was delicious. The wait staff and bartenders did a great job too. We had a wonderful evening.

Gorgeous location, lovely staff, stellar food

Reviewed on 6/05/2011 Elaine A

We had our cocktail hour and reception on the rooftop of the Canary Hotel in Santa Barbara. It was gorgeous weather with a perfect location to enjoy it. It was a relaxed but classy atmosphere seeped in that old spanish style that SB is so famous for. Our catering manager,... Read More Joanie, was absolutely amazing. From the very first inquiry email I sent her to the follow up post-wedding congratulations from her, she really was outstanding. So friendly, so helpful with my thousands of questions before and after we contracted with their site. Very free with suggestions and advice and tried to be as flexible as possible with our special requests. She checked in with us regularly during the planning process. Really on top of things. The food was FANTASTIC. So flavorful, varied options, guests loved it, servers and bartenders were friendly and hospitable. For being an upscale hotel, the catering prices were really decent! We got a free suite to stay in the night of the wedding, which is beautiful, stylish and such comfortable furnishings. And you couldn't beat the atmosphere on the rooftop when the sun set :-)

Beauty of Santa Barbara

Reviewed on 9/02/2010 Kelly W

I loved this venue. We had a day time wedding and the rooftop terrace provided the perfect backdrop. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. We felt like a king and queen on our day which is what every couple wants. The rooms are also beautiful and the chef is great!

Start a Conversation!