Meaningful & Personal Wedding Ceremonies

I take time to get to know and understand the couples I work with. That way, I'm able to give your relationship and your love a voice to those with whom you intend to share this special moment in your lives. As a liberal Jewish ordained Cantor, I conduct a Jewish influenced wedding ceremony and perform pre-marital counseling. I work with interfaith and same-sex couples. I like to incorporate the culture from both sides of your family and make sure that all of your family and guests feel comfortable and included. Should we speak or sing any Hebrew, it will always be translated. Your wedding ceremony will feel personal and unique. Your wedding is not about the band, the florist, the photographer, or even the officiant. It's about you.

Commitment Ceremony, Interfaith Ceremony, Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Reform, Jewish

Premarital Counseling, Ceremony, Wedding

Planning

Manhattan, Westchester County, Hudson Valley (914) 393-0121

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Brittany P

Finding the right officiant was very important to us. When we got engaged, we did not have a Rabbi or Cantor that knew both of us, and that was a big challenge since we didn’t want a generic fill-in-the-names ceremony. To complicate things further we’re an interfaith couple but... Read More both have a strong interest and respect for Jewish traditions. Our dreams came true when we found Cantor Erik. He went above and beyond in every way. Before the wedding he helped proof our self-written Ketubah. He helped proof our program (which included explanations of the various Jewish traditions included in the ceremony). He also met with us twice to get to know us as actual people (and not just “clients”) and provided some very genuinely useful pre-wedding advice. The day of our wedding he oversaw our civil signing as well as our Ketubah signing, providing our close family and friends thoughtful context of those proceedings. He arrived well before he needed to, which was so reassuring (looking around and seeing all your vendors arrive early lowers the blood pressure!). Then, most importantly, the ceremony: the ceremony was absolutely beautiful. My husband is a wedding photographer (doug-peterson.com) and he has seen hundreds of ceremonies, and the thing he kept saying afterward was just how *genuine* Cantor Erik’s comments and joy were, and I agree! It was neither rushed nor drawn out. It was beautiful, eloquent, and very, very personal. The time he invested to get to know us really showed, and there were few dry eyes in the audience. We will forever be grateful to Cantor Erik and simply cannot recommend him highly enough!

2017-07-17T12:02:28 Response from the vendor

I had so much fun working with you guys! I know we will stay in touch! Come up to the Hudson Valley and we'll take in the sights! Mazal tov once again!!

Reviewed on 3/30/2018 Dasia M

FANTASTIC experience! My now Husband and I needed an impromptu marriage ceremony, although we already had a future wedding date picked and already paid off our wedding venue for later in the year, we chose to get married sooner than our selected date, but we did not want to do a... Read More generic "court-house" marriage, so we found Erik online and we could not have been happier with our experience. Erik has such an easy-going and charismatic personality and made our intimate marriage as special as possible. He met with us and walked through all of the details with us. We obtained a marriage certificate on Friday morning and he married us the next afternoon, on a Saturday, in a beautiful lounge area in his lovely home, with our 2 witnesses. Although we dressed casual, he was fully robed and prepared a full ceremony speech, a prayer, and gave us the opportunity to exchange vows. Afterwards, we celebrated in his lounge, with his awesome wife, and they offered us some champagne and good laughs! He was extremely professional, even with us being a casual marriage, so I can only imagine how great he is in a full-blown Wedding ceremony with hundreds of guests! He was even kind enough to meet me at the Court House the following Monday to turn our Marriage documents in, just to make sure everything was in order. I would recommend him 100%.

2018-04-02T09:32:21 Response from the vendor

It was so much fun working with you guys! Not the normal kind of ceremony I perform, of course, but if you have to get legally wed, I'm glad I could personalize the ceremony and make you feel right at home! Congratulations once again!!

Cantor Erik Contzius

I was ordained at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in 1995. Since then, I've served congregations in Omaha, Philadelphia, and Westchester County, NY. After a fulfilling 18 year career caring for my congregational families, I decided to step off the pulpit to give more attention to my own family. But I still find opportunities for the gratifying work of working with couples on their wedding day.