Meaningful & Personal Wedding Ceremonies

I take time to get to know and understand the couples I work with. That way, I'm able to give your relationship and your love a voice to those with whom you intend to share this special moment in your lives. As a liberal Jewish ordained Cantor, I conduct a Jewish influenced wedding ceremony and perform pre-marital counseling. I work with interfaith and same-sex couples. I like to incorporate the culture from both sides of your family and make sure that all of your family and guests feel comfortable and included. Should we speak or sing any Hebrew, it will always be translated. Your wedding ceremony will feel personal and unique. Your wedding is not about the band, the florist, the photographer, or even the officiant. It's about you.

Commitment Ceremony, Interfaith Ceremony, Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Reform, Jewish

Premarital Counseling, Ceremony, Wedding

Planning

Manhattan, Westchester County, Hudson Valley (914) 393-0121

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Brittany P

Finding the right officiant was very important to us. When we got engaged, we did not have a Rabbi or Cantor that knew both of us, and that was a big challenge since we didn’t want a generic fill-in-the-names ceremony. To complicate things further we’re an interfaith couple but... Read More both have a strong interest and respect for Jewish traditions. Our dreams came true when we found Cantor Erik. He went above and beyond in every way. Before the wedding he helped proof our self-written Ketubah. He helped proof our program (which included explanations of the various Jewish traditions included in the ceremony). He also met with us twice to get to know us as actual people (and not just “clients”) and provided some very genuinely useful pre-wedding advice. The day of our wedding he oversaw our civil signing as well as our Ketubah signing, providing our close family and friends thoughtful context of those proceedings. He arrived well before he needed to, which was so reassuring (looking around and seeing all your vendors arrive early lowers the blood pressure!). Then, most importantly, the ceremony: the ceremony was absolutely beautiful. My husband is a wedding photographer (doug-peterson.com) and he has seen hundreds of ceremonies, and the thing he kept saying afterward was just how *genuine* Cantor Erik’s comments and joy were, and I agree! It was neither rushed nor drawn out. It was beautiful, eloquent, and very, very personal. The time he invested to get to know us really showed, and there were few dry eyes in the audience. We will forever be grateful to Cantor Erik and simply cannot recommend him highly enough!

2017-07-17T12:02:28 Response from the vendor

I had so much fun working with you guys! I know we will stay in touch! Come up to the Hudson Valley and we'll take in the sights! Mazal tov once again!!

Cantor Erik Contzius

I was ordained at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in 1995. Since then, I've served congregations in Omaha, Philadelphia, and Westchester County, NY. After a fulfilling 18 year career caring for my congregational families, I decided to step off the pulpit to give more attention to my own family. But I still find opportunities for the gratifying work of working with couples on their wedding day.