Castle Hill on The Crane Estate

(20)

Ipswich, MA

Capacity: Up to 350 | WEBSITE | PHONE

A Grand Seaside Estate

Celebrate your special occasion at this stunning seaside property. Located on the Crane Estate in Ipswich, perched high above Crane Beach, the Great House at Castle Hill - a national Historic Landmark - offers a dramatic setting for weddings, private events and corporate functions.

• Indoor Ceremony Area

Bow2010

290 Argilla Road, Ipswich, MA

Fall wedding at Crane

Reviewed on 10/25/2013 Joyce D

Just got married at The Crane estate in Ipswich at the end of September. The day was beautiful and so was the location. The grounds and view of the ocean are magnificent, the Great House is elegant and grand, but the event manager and staff at the estate are warm, down to earth and welcoming. We were able to totally let go once we arrived, because we felt confident things would go smoothly and they did. We had fun at our wedding and so did the guests!

Perfect Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 10/07/2013 Alida J

Our wedding was perfect and that is in huge part due to the level of service that we received at the Crane Estate. We worked with Laura who made our day go seamlessly, despite the disorganization of our DJ, and despite our forgetfulness in giving her some last minute detail updates. We had rain on our wedding date and they had begun to setup inside for the ceremony, but as promised, the whole staff was able to make the wedding happen outside when the weather cleared just half an hour prior to our ceremony start time. The Crane Estate is wildly beautiful - there is truly nothing else like it. Our guests said that it was the most incredible wedding venue they had been to. Even the photographs our friends took look like pages of a Vogue fashion shoot. I am so happy to have had the ability to have my wedding at this amazing venue!

best wedding venue in boston area!

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Susie M

Incredibly professional staff, breathtaking setting. I recommend this venue without any reservations!

Beautiful venue

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Christina S

Nothing more picturesque and beautiful than Castle Hill on the Crane Estate! If you want a combination of grand and homey, this is the venue. No extensive decoration needed - the venue speaks for itself. Our venue coordinator was absolutely wonderful to work with! Available for venue visits. Totally advocated for us. Concerns: -strict rules with time, options for alcohol/beverage (pricey), rental pickup by vendors, etc.

Perfect Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 9/28/2014 Jonathan A

We always knew we wanted to get married at Cranes. The great house and grounds can not be beat anywhere in MA. Our coordinator Danielle was amazing and so easy to work with. Danielle and the rest of the Crane Estate staff worked hard to make our day flawless. We highly recommend this venue!

Fantastic Service!

Reviewed on 9/27/2014 Kathryn E

Every reviewer on here is absolutely correct when they say this venue is amazingly beautiful and that there's nothing quite like it -- possibly for hundreds of miles. But, I really want to point out that their staff is absolutely fantastic. My family and friends were raving over the bar service they received, and the dining staff was really incredible. Throughout the night they really were on top of everything. Quite awesome!

Seriously the perfect venue

Reviewed on 8/20/2013 Amy L

If you want an elegant, tasteful, classic wedding, this is the location. Not only are you getting married in the most gorgeous location (both architecturally and scenically), but it is staffed by true professionals! Francie was our wedding coordinator, and she organized all the vendors, created a day-of timeline, let everyone know what they should do and when on the day of (which was important since we had no idea what we were doing!) and kept us on track so we weren't just wandering around. She is a pro and whatever we asked of her she did with grace and ease. As others have said, they come up with real alternate plans in case of rain that will be just as beautiful. In fact after our ceremony there was a little rain, and in what seemed like seconds Francie had everything rearranged to take place indoors. Seriously, if you want a wedding day that'll go off without a hitch, surrounded by capable professionals who know their stuff, allowing you to truly enjoy your wedding day in a gorgeous location, THIS is your venue!

Amazing experience

Reviewed on 5/29/2013 dennis d

Our experience with our reception at The Crane Estate was wonderful. Not only does this venue have a breathtaking view from The Great House, but the staff were very helpful and friendly. We highly recommend this venue!

Beautiful - Grand - More Expensive and Inflexible

Reviewed on 5/20/2013 Allison C

We wanted a historical house for our wedding. The Crane Estate is by far the grandest and most well run that we saw. We knew we wanted it. However, it is a very very popular venue. This means it is more expensive and they are less flexible. Most of the things they were inflexible on did not really matter to us (e.g. no dogs in the ceremony, no open flame, no sparklers, ceremony must start at 5pm and reception must end by 11pm). Our major complaint was that the Inn on site (where many bridal parties stay) is expensive and difficult to deal with. We ended up staying elsewhere (and unfortunately there are no hotels close by). Overall though, I would not have had my wedding elsewhere. The venue was just spectacularly beautiful and all the guests were raving about it.

Stunning

Reviewed on 10/02/2012 Emily T

A gorgeous venue with a view that simply cannot be beat. The staff at Crane are professional and helpful and made planning the flow of our day a breeze. The only downside to this fantastic venue is a local zoning ordinance which prevents the party from continuing past 11pm.

Crane Estate Dream

Reviewed on 9/08/2012 Erica W

Since I was in 6th grade, I wanted to get married at the Crane Estate- and I did! It was a dream come true. The view of the Atlantic, the lush green alley and gardens, and the timeless mansion made for the most incredible backdrop to our ceremony and reception. Our guests took advantage of the grounds and wandered off to enjoy the views. Weather is important (and bug spray!) but luckily we had only a light passing shower after dinner-which resulted in a rainbow! The staff was attentive- though strict, which is understandable, since it is a landmark on conservation land. Go visit and you'll fall in love!

Not great for your guest

Reviewed on 8/01/2012 Nicole R

First off, this venue was lovely but just because it is lovely does not make it a great venue for your guest. A friend of mine got married here in June. This place is hard to drive to. It's up quite the hill and really not great for night driving. We had to stay quite a ways away from the wedding because of the lack of local accommodations. This really came into play because a lot of the wedding guest traveled. I traveled 600 miles and wasn't even close to being the farthest away. The staff was incredibly rude to many of the guest. They bar was cutting people off after two drinks. Some people may need to be cut off after two drinks but this wasn't the case. I went to the bar to get a glass of water. Before they would serve me the bar tenders very loudly told each other that I was too intoxicated to be server. I had a BAC of 0 because I didn't get any champagne for the toast before:( i didn't realize that dancing and having fun made you intoxicated. They ended up following a friend of mine to the bathroom and accusing her of vomiting and being too intoxicated. She had to pee and was certainly not drunk! The venue is unbelievably beautiful and I the bride looked so happy! And to be fair, that is the most important thing. I am so glad the terrible staff did not ruin her day but I would not want to go back to wedding here. If you are looking at this for a venue I would think twice. Guest want to have a good time and celebrate your marriage too but the Crane Estate made that very hard. This venue is more for a local morning or afternoon wedding where people wouldn't really drink and would be able to drive home safely.

enchanting wedding site

Reviewed on 6/18/2012 Karen L

While an expensive venue, I would not have changed a thing! The Crane estate is a wonderful venue for a wedding - they think of everything and were very attentive to every detail. All of my guests are still raving about the beauty of the site alone, not to mention the food, the service, and the overall atmosphere. I was managing most of the wedding details on my own, and would never have made it through the planning process without the help of the wedding coordinators! They think of everything! For an enchanting, memorable and really special venue - look no further!

More than just beautiful...

Reviewed on 1/22/2012 Abigail H

It's a undeniably stunning place to get married--look at any photos of the estate and you'll see why it needs no further comment here. But it also has a real rain plan that won't leave you soggy or in some drab conference room. It can handle weddings of almost any size and make them feel at once intimate and grand. The staff is helpful, friendly and accommodating. Loved getting married here.

Scenic splendor

Reviewed on 1/03/2012 Soong C

If you have guests coming in from out of town, especially from another country, Crane Estate is postcard picture perfect and a real treat. It is majestic, and very "Old New England," while still having modern amenities. The fees for your reception rental go to a good cause (preservation fund) and the staff is so helpful throughout the planning process. You can get married in so many spots on their grounds its just too beautiful and will take you a while to decide the perfect area. If you are blessed with perfect weather, you get to have your cocktail hour outdoors on the patio overlooking the rolling hills. It still takes my breath away.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 9/12/2011 alyssa D

Castle Hill was the most amazing venue. It is such a beautiful spot and provides so many places for fabulous pictures. I am from the area but live in the UK and planned my entire wedding from overseas. The staff at the Castle were extremely helpful and very accomodating, esp given the fact that we never met face to face. The only problem with the venue is the time. They are EXTREMELY strict with time and will charge you for every minute that your wedding runs over. Just keep this in mind. Your day goes by faster than you can ever imagine an with a 5hr window at the Castle you are on a tight schedule. I would also recommend doing photos before hand to save on time.

Gorgeous venue

Reviewed on 9/02/2010 Jessica H

Castle Hill has many pros: it's beautiful, you get the entire place to yourself (no worrying about hotel guests or gawkers), there is plenty of parking. Did I mention it's beautiful?!! My only issues were that it was expensive, even on a Sunday, and they are very strict about time - you can get extra time, but not past 11pm.

Amazing reception site

Reviewed on 8/26/2010 Lauren H

I was very happy with Castle Hill staff during the planning and on my wedding day. Our guests were very impressed with the setting, it is hard to beat in MA. The staff was available to answer my many questions throughout the process. My only disappointment was that certain (little) details I requested and prepared ahead for the wedding didn't happen. All of the "important" stuff was covered, though. Don't expect them to go to extra lengths for you, but they will meet your expectations.

Absolutely fabulous location

Reviewed on 8/11/2010 Kate M

We recently had our wedding at Castle Hill, and everyone is still gushing about it months later! The setting was perfect and romantic and everyone had a blast. Our event coordinator for the estate, Ashley, was perfect and kept the evening moving. She was on top of things and made sure everything was how I wanted it. You do have to choose from their (long) list of caterers, but I actually found this helpful since I wouldn't have known where to start. Also, all the caterers are high quality, so you really can't go wrong. Castle Hill really made our wedding special and beautiful. It's a night we won't forget.

Fairytale venue

Reviewed on 5/17/2010 Marisa T

Castle Hill cannot be beat in terms of the beautiful mansion house with incredible view. This was my dream venue, and I felt so lucky to be able to have our wedding there. However, the cost is astronomical. They provide very little (and what they do provide doesn't match the expectation of what you should get for what you are paying) - all equipment must be brought in by outside vendors. They also have their own liquor license, and charge extremely high rates for the alcohol, adding significantly to the cost. They also charge a separate ceremony fee, tent fee, overtime fee, and they clearly charge the caterers a separate fee as well, which ends up getting passed on to the bride/groom. This is a lot of add-ons for a place that charges a very steep fee just to rent the space! All that aside, the place is just amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. There really is nothing else like it.

Send Email