Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement

Naperville, IL

Book Your Wedding with Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement

A HISTORIC VENUE IN NAPERVILLE, IL

Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement, located in historic Naperville, Illinois, is a charming and elegant setting for wedding ceremonies and vow renewals. The chapel was built in 1864 as St. John's Episcopal Church. The congregation eventually outgrew the space and in 1969 the building was deconsecrated and moved to its current location.

Century Memorial Chapel. Great care was taken to restore the chapel while adapting the structure for modern use. The original paint and hand-stenciled details were researched and copied. The trussed ceiling beams were preserved, as were the hand-carved pews and the original stained-glass windows. The chapel seats 175 guests for your ceremony.

The Lawn. Couples can choose to have a tented reception just steps away from the chapel on the mansion lawn. For an additional cost, outside vendors can supply tents, tables, chairs, restrooms and generators. Preferred Caterers offer a variety of options to assist with your special day.

Chapel rentals include one hour for a rehearsal, two hours for your ceremony, and an on-site Rental Attendant. Use of a dressing suite, complete with sofa, floor-length mirrors and private restrooms, is also included. A runner is permitted on the 50 foot aisle. Flower petals, real or fake, may not be thrown inside or outside of the chapel. Memorial candles or a unity candle set-up with two tapers are allowed on the glass-covered altar only – candles are not permitted elsewhere in the chapel.

Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement is open for weddings on a flexible schedule Monday through Thursday. Saturday weddings take place at pre-scheduled intervals from morning to evening and Friday and Sunday ceremonies are scheduled based on availability.

• Wheelchair lifts available in the chapel and in the Meeting House
  • Free parking
  • Air conditioned chapel

Century Memorial Chapel: Unique and Distinctive

A non-denominational chapel built in 1864, Century Memorial Chapel features original stained glass windows and unique architectural details. Located on the 12-acre site of Naper Settlement outdoor history museum, it's the perfect venue for your distinctive and memorable wedding.

Museum, Historic Venue, Church

523 S. Webster Street, Naperville, IL (630) 420-6010
WEBSITE FACEBOOK PINTEREST

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Sarah H

Dealing with Century Memorial Chapel was efficient and businesslike - something that I appreciated as a Type A person. There were zero hiccups despite the expected staff turnover during our two-year engagement. The coordinators were personable yet efficient. We're nonreligious... Read More but as a starting point wanted our ceremony to be inside due to weather concerns. It was great to find an indoor location where we could have a civil ceremony (the chapel is deconsecrated, or no longer claimed by any one religion). Not to mention that the space is gorgeous with all of the stained glass and wood. The price is perfectly on par with other ceremony sites. If you talk to a lot of locals they'll tell you the chapel isn't air conditioned - fortunately, that's no longer the case. Some people have bad memories of sweating through ceremonies here but all of our guests were comfortable. The only bummer was that they don't allow flower girl petals even if they're artificial and white. We wanted to have a grandmother be a flower girl but couldn't do so, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd wholeheartedly recommend hosting your ceremony here.

Reviewed on 11/04/2016 Danielle B

If I could sing praises from that chapel roof of this staff, I would. I worked with Andi and Kirsten (so sorry if I spelled anyone's name wrong!). Both were incredibly helpful, from the prospective stage, to the hectic week and day of. They answered each and every question we... Read More had, and we had lots, promptly and thoroughly, be it email, phone call, or in person. The thing that stuck out to me the most was the honesty that both of them conveyed from start to finish. Andi said more than once that her favorite time of day in the chapel was during the morning because the windows are all lit up (and since we had a morning ceremony, I can certainly attest to that!). She also had great suggestions for our two floral arrangements that we had flanking the altar; it was clear she knew the space well and knew what worked best. I highly, highly, highly recommend this team for your big day if you're looking for a beautifully cared for space from a bygone era...they certainly don't make chapels like this anymore. Thank you to all the kind folks at Naper Settlement for all your hard work to make the day such a memorable one for both my husband and myself.

Reviewed on 8/30/2016

Such a beautiful, looking church. It looks like something out of a fairy tale book. Very old and the charm is through the roof!!

Beautiful Ceremony Venue

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Amanda G

I have been going to Naper Settlement for years on field trips with my 4th grade class, and have always loved Century Memorial Chapel. After getting engaged, on a whim I decided to see if it would be available for a summer wedding and it was! I love this chapel. It is... Read More gorgeous. The staff was always available for questions and help. The best part was on the day of our ceremony we were given a wedding attendant. Her name was Andi and she was a life saver! We had no idea about the routines and procedures and she was an expert!Absolutely wonderful, and she made our day exactly as we wanted it to be. I would highly recommend having a ceremony here.

2015-07-21T15:15:23 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind review! We're so happy you selected Century Memorial Chapel for your special day! We wish you all the best!

Perfect Setting for a Wedding

Reviewed on 7/14/2015 Kristina E

My fiance and I got married at Century Memorial Chapel on May 30, 2015. If you're looking for a classic wedding chapel, complete with the stained glass and cathedral ceilings, look no further. It was truly the perfect venue for our wedding. I called several times in the months... Read More before my wedding and the staff was always attentive and helpful. On the day of the rehearsal, our attendant was just wonderful. There are a few things you should know about the venue, that you may not get from the website. First, they say the chapel seats 200 people maximum, they MEAN 200 people maximum. Truthfully the quoted 170-something is probably as many as you should try to squeeze in. I had probably 185 people and some folks stood through the ceremony. Also, there is a really nice bridal suite in the basement of the church where you and your maids can get ready. I didn't know that until the rehearsal. You should also know that there isn't much of a vestibule where you and your father can wait before you walk down the aisle when the weather is bad. I imagine it would be fabulous for the doors of the church to open to reveal the bride. Unfortunately, it rained on my wedding so the bridal party, my father and I had to come up the stairs from the basement to enter the sanctuary. My father and I stood in full view of the church as we waited for the wedding march to start. It's a minor thing, but I missed out on the *gasp* I was hoping for. Not the church's fault, but keep this in mind if you're planning a wedding for spring or winter. The good news is, in the event of bad weather, your guests can mingle in the church's basement in leiu of a lobby or vestibule. Finally, the two hour time slots are a bit short if you plan to have your florist set up arrangements prior to the ceremony and take pictures afterwards. We didn't realize until late in the process that we could pay for an additional 30 minutes. While the church is already expensive to rent, that 30 minutes was great to have. All in all, Century Memorial is a beautiful venue with outstanding staff. I highly recommend it!

2015-07-21T15:13:49 Response from the vendor

We can't thank you enough for your review! We're so happy to have been part of your special day! We value your input and wish to address a few of the items you listed above. First, we will make edits to our website so that... Read Less Read More

SO happy we got married here.

Reviewed on 2/26/2015

My now husband and I do not have a home church, but we wanted to get married in a church. I found Century Memorial Chapel by accident, when poking around online for free or inexpensive things to do in our area. In all honestly, it was the only venue we visited, because We Just... Read More Knew. It has a special feeling about it. It's beautiful, and harkens back to an older era. Intimate but not small - cozy in the best way. Beautiful. Acoustics are great. We played prelude music on our family's portable Bose speaker and it sounded great. My brother sang without a microphone and it was totally fine. My cousin played the piano they have there and it sounded really nice. Everyone we worked with, including Michelle, our wedding day assistant, was pleasant and professional. Our guests LOVED the chapel. I sincerely hope we can go back here on our first anniversary, just to relive our ceremony. :)

Fairy Tale Venue & Stellar Service

Reviewed on 12/03/2014 Jennifer T

This historic chapel is a perfect setting for a wedding. It is intimate and made the day truly feel magical. The basement bridal room was nice and fit our needs. What makes Naper Settlement well worth the price is the inclusion of a wedding coordinator. Andie attended our... Read More rehearsal and wedding. I had no idea how much she would do for us! She is very detail-oriented. She gave direction to our ushers, cued the musicians, distributed all of the flowers etc. She even caught that my mother put her corsage on backwards and corrected it prior to the ceremony. My husband left his coat behind in the chapel, and Andie drove it to our reception venue - above and beyond!!

Spectacular Settlement Service

Reviewed on 6/03/2014 Terri D

Naper Settlement is the perfect venue for a quaint wedding ceremony and reception. The chapel with all of its elegance provided the perfect back drop for our special day.

Utterly Charming

Reviewed on 6/02/2014 Rachel P

Naper Settlement in downtown Naperville is adorable. Convenient location, great picture backdrops, and a one stop shop for the wedding day. We had our ceremony in the chapel, which seats 175 people. The perfect size for everyone to sit comfortably but appear full. Plus, the... Read More architecture is breathtaking. The cocktail house was held on an ideal brick patio near the chapel, then up the hill to our tent rental for the reception. However, with so many additional pieces needed for the party (dj, bar, catering) this type of venue is for the organized! Make sure you're comfortable doing more from your end. Though, I will say, the Naper Settlement provided attendant, Andi, is phenomenal. Only drawback? Naperville says the music must turn off at 10 pm. Overall, we were thrilled with our choice of venues. It was beautiful. Matt + Rachel 05.24.2014

Picturesque Wedding Chapel

Reviewed on 2/18/2014 Sarah H

Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement is by far one of the most stunning historic churches in the area. Its also wonderful because you can have a non-denominational ceremony in an actual church! Becca and her staff were wonderful to work with. My questions were answered... Read More promptly, and the day of staff were very accommodating and patient. No matter what season you get married, this church is the perfect setting, as well as the surrounding grounds. I highly recommend this church to anyone searching for a ceremony site. You'll fall in love instantly.

2014-02-26T11:12:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that everything went so well for your special day! We wish you all the best!

Amazing!

Reviewed on 2/02/2014 Lauren M

Century Memorial Chapel at Naper Settlement was exactly what I wanted for the place to get married. The old feel of the chapel plus the location was perfect. Dealing with the people at Naper Settlement was also great. I worked mostly with Becca, and she was so personable and... Read More really easy to get a hold of- she also answered any questions I had in a timely manner. The Chapels new renovations was also a plus! I HIGHLY recommend Naper Settlement Chapel for any couple looking for somewhere unique and memorable to get married!

2014-02-03T13:34:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your sweet words! We are happy that everything went so well for you! Best wishes!

Perfect Ceremony Venue

Reviewed on 10/09/2013 Nicole

The chapel was the perfect place to have our wedding. It is so beautiful and intimate. We received so many compliments from guests on the beauty of the chapel. Becca from the Naper Settlement was great to work with. She was quick to respond to any question and always very... Read More friendly and professional. We loved having our wedding at the Naper Settlement!

2014-01-27T15:00:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind words! We wish you all the best!

Great Place for a Historic-Minded Bride!

Reviewed on 10/02/2013 Kate S

Century Memorial Chapel was a fantastic choice for our September 2013 wedding! The grounds of Naper Settlement are gorgeous and the chapel was the perfect historic setting. The reservation process was very simple and the rental attendant was extremely helpful at the rehearsal... Read More and during the wedding day. It was like having a planner/day-of consultant on-site!

2014-01-27T15:03:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We wish you all the best!

STUNNING location, Wonderful History

Reviewed on 12/12/2012 Allean S

I can't say enough about how beautiful the chapel is, not to even mention the history. My fiancé and I really wanted to find a chapel/church close to our reception location since more than half our guests were from out of town, once they got there we didn't want them to travel... Read More far. We searched for churches willing to marry us (even though we weren't members). When I found Naper Settlement and visited, I was sold! All the beams and woodwork is beautiful. So many guests were blown away by how beautiful the church was. We got married in December and all the decorations are beautiful and will work for anyone, no matter your colors. The staff was friendly and so easy to work with. They always quickly answered questions (calls or emails). Andi was our coordinator at the rehearsal and the day of the wedding. She really made it so easy for us and gave us wonderful advice for what works best at that location. She even worked with our musicians to make everything flow flawlessly. My only complaint really has NOTHING to do with the location, service or people. It's just paying $1,000 for only 2 hours the day of and 1 hour for rehearsal really is a lot. I understand it's an old building and it needs to be maintained to keep it in the wonderful state it’s in now. It still seems pricey to me, especially when they can have numerous weddings booked in a day. But then again, even with the high price they got me (miss save every dollar I can). So I guess they know what they're doing. :-)

2014-01-27T15:04:30 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are happy that you were so thrilled with the chapel! Best wishes!

Wedding Ceremony

Reviewed on 9/06/2011 Mary K

Naper Settlement was a GREAT experience! The staff was VERY helpful and made everything super easy on us! Definitely recommend them! Also, you will get some GREAT pictures!

2014-01-27T15:01:45 Response from the vendor

I'm happy that you had such a great experience! Best Wishes!

Beautiful Historical Chapel

Reviewed on 1/14/2011 JoAnne W

We picked this chapel because of it's beautiful stained glass windows and antique look, as well as the location (we met and were engaged in downtown Napervillle, so it seemed fitting). It's so pretty you don't need decorations. It was also close enough for us to walk over to the... Read More riverwalk for photos after the ceremony. The assistant (Andee?) was very helpful and ensured that everything went smoothly. She really made it more perfect than it would have been, and went above and beyond. I was very grateful for all her help. I only gave a 3 for flexibility because the original day we wanted to marry wasn't available even though we reserved a year in advance, and it wasn't very easy to set an appointment for us to test the music beforehand. We were planning a casual ceremony so did not schedule a rehearsal, but my friend who was going to play piano wanted to test it out and see how many steps to the altar for the music timing, and they only gave us a short mid-afternoon window during the week, which meant taking time off work, and then we had to wait for groups of children on field trips and sneak in in between them. Other than that small issue this place was perfect for us, and we had a beautiful ceremony.

2014-01-27T15:06:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry you had problems getting in to test music. We wish you all the best!