Colin Lyons Wedding Photography

Chicago & Chicago Metropo, IL

Striking Photography

The photography you will receive is an ideal blend of styles that go beyond photojournalism to offer family portraiture and striking magazine style images. Our passion for making beautiful photographs of people like you living well and loving life has consistently attracted our amazing clients.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Day After Session, Engagement, Trash The Dress

182 W Lake St #309 Chicago, IL 60601, Chicago & Chicago Metropo, IL

The Best!

Reviewed on 10/14/2013 Melissa G

We chose Colin as our photographer for our wedding this summer at the Chicago History Museum and we could not be happier with our pictures and every step of the process working with Colin. Colin has an amazing eye for the most beautiful shots and we were so impressed with how he... Read More was able to capture different moments. We were thrilled with how many pictures we had to choose from and how we loved each of them. Honestly, the hardest part was choosing which ones to include in our book and to frame. Not only is Colin an extremely skilled artist, he was very easy to work with. From the early planning stages to the days leading up to the wedding Colin was quick to respond to questions and always very helpful. The day of the wedding, Colin was very organized in helping us to coordinate taking pictures at multiple city locations and in being able to coordinate a large bridal party in making the pictures look polished but still natural. Since our wedding, I have recommended Colin to my friends that are in the process of planning a wedding and would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a wedding photographer.

Reviewed on 1/17/2013 Lindsey T

We were looking for a photographer that was creative and could capture the type of wedding pictures we wanted. We needed someone who knew the great spots in Chicago to capture the essence of the city. Colin was our man. He was wonderful to work with and really tried to... Read More listen and understand our needs. Plus he was fun to hang out with. (I probably hung out with him more then my own husband throughout the night). You will not be disappointed by hiring Colin and his team. They went above and beyond our expectations. I would recommend him a million times over. FANTASTIC

The Absolute BEST

Reviewed on 10/29/2010 Angela R

I recently had the opportunity to have Colin Lyons as a photographer for my engagement shoot and wedding ceremony/reception. One word describes Colin - the BEST. Colin is the absolute best in all categories. I'll start with the obvious - his photography skills. Colin is a... Read More high-end photographer and his work shows it. Colin is creative, is a genius at capturing the emotions/feelings of feelings of the day, knows the perfect details to capture, and does the perfect editing to create photography that is absolutely breathtaking. My husband and I could not be happier with the work that Colin has done for us. We are so lucky to have found him. Secondly is Colin's professionalism. One thing I never realized until the day of my wedding is that you want a photographer who is unobtrusive, works well with your videographer and other vendors, but yet is still able to capture the beauty of the day. Colin excelled at this. I didn't even realize Colin and his assistant were around - but they were everywhere capturing just the right shots. Colin knows how to work with vendors to ensure he does not interfer with the video footage, and he knows how to allow you those special times with your guests without being 'in your face'. Colin lets you just do your thing and captures that in amazing photography. Cost - you know you get what you pay for, right? That being said, sure - Colin does cost slightly more than the big photography companies such as George Stree, Edward Fox, etc. We had spoken with those companies prior to choosing Colin. Was Colin more expensive - sure, but was it worth it? Hands down it was worth it. There are other photographers in the same league as Colin who are charging 3x, 4x, more than Colin's fees. Colin has an extremely fair price for the quality of the photographer that he is. He is a high-end photographer with fair prices. All of the above are reasons why I recommend Colin. He truely is the absolute best. On top of all of this, I want to speak about Colin as a person. I did not know Colin prior to choosing him for my wedding photographer. Through our meetings with him, then engagement shoot, and finally our wedding - I had the pleasure of getting to know Colin as an 'individual'. What an incredible, genuine, honest, thoughtful, and just all around nice guy. It was SO nice working with Colin. He made us feel comfortable, and it like we were hanging out with a friend. Not only that, Colin was the man of many trades at my wedding. He was the 'dj' in our limo rides, gave directions when the limo took a wrong turn, stood by me (the bride) when my wedding party got busy to ensure I was not left alone. He is an absolute gem. I HIGHLY recommend Colin as a photographer for your wedding or any special occasion. He truely is the absolute BEST in every category.

Reviewed on 11/09/2015

Colin and his team were amazing to work for our wedding. We first had our engagement photoshoot with Colin and the pictures turned out GREAT! He has such an eye for cool ideas and makes the shoot fun. Colin and his team were with us from start to finish and we had a blast... Read More sharing our wedding day with them. They truly captured all of the key moments. If you haven't already booked with Colin, DO IT NOW. You will not regret your decision, the absolute best hands down.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 elizabeth S

Wow, best ever is right! Me (the non-photogenic bride) and my now husband (the extremely photogenic groom) quickly decided that high quality photography was one of our top wedding priorities. From the moment we first spoke to Colin, we were immediately at ease. He's the wedding... Read More photographer trifecta -- fine art background, amazing experience/portfolio, and a great personality. We currently live in LA, and Colin made coordinating the Chicago engagement session a breeze. The engagement session photos turned out fantastic, making us even more confident that we made the perfect decision for our wedding. The day of the wedding Colin and his team were on time and super organized -- they were quite amazing at keeping us and our bridal party on time for our first look and photos prior to the ceremony. For reference, our ceremony was at Holy Family and our reception was at Salvage One. While very professional, Colin was also so fun and easy-going to be around all day. He is one of those vendors that you more want as a guest at your wedding. His assistants are equally wonderful. The photos were delivered on time and were absolutely amazing! We love the "photo journalism" style that Colin and his team have mastered -- he captured so many seemingly small moments, that were actually our fondest memories of the day. I was confident before receiving the photos that we would have amazing shots of the groom (note previous reference to being photogenic) and our friends and family -- Colin definitely delivered. I was so excited to see that there were so many fantastic shots of me (note previous reference to being not photogenic). Thanks Colin! Also.... we just learned that Colin is recently engaged himself. Congrats!!! Colin, only one problem... who is going to capture your own wedding, when you are the best photographer around?!?

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Shaunté N

Colin is the best in the business! The photos were absolutely amazing! He captured every moment so perfectly.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

I was the groom in the wedding and everything was perfect. Colin had plans in place for sun, rain, wind everything which is something that a professional plans for to remain a professional. He was willing to stay around and take a few extra pics, which was really great because... Read More some of the best ones happened at unexpected times. I refer him to all my friends as they take the next step in their life. Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Hong Z

Colin is truly a great artist!! I loved his work so much that I booked my wedding date based on his availability. I want perfect pictures for the wedding day and I know Colin is the one who can deliver. We had several meeting and countless emails and phone calls before the big... Read More day. We coordinated everything from Chicago, and he arrived in New York a day early for our wedding, just so he can take a look at the church and plan out the timeline for pictures the next day. During the ceremony, I barely noticed that he was there. He captures all the important moments, and every single photo is amazing!! We got so many compliments from family and friends. I would recommend Colin to any bride.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Rachel S

We hired Colin Lyons to shoot our engagement photos and our wedding day. And he delivered amazingly on both accounts. The engagement shoot was the perfect way for us to get to know him and vice versa. It also gave him a chance to understand the types of things we wanted from our... Read More pictures for our wedding day. During the planning process he was very responsive, always answering our questions and helping us plan our day of wedding photo schedule. Colin and his entire team were great the day of the wedding and perfectly captured every moment of the best day of my life. He helped corral our families to get the family formals done quickly so we could get back to our cocktail hour and our guests. He also made sure to capture great candid photographs of all aspects of our wedding - from cocktail hour to late night dancing. And his unique photo booth setup was a hit with all of our guests - from both the quality of the images to the fact that we had the complete set of photos the day after our wedding. We got so many compliments from our friends and family on the quality of our final photos - Colin did a great job retouching all our photos and picking out the best from thousands of photographs that he and his assistants took that day. He took time and care to deliver a great product. He was simply - the best!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Julia F

From our first meeting with Colin Lyons we knew that we would be well taken care of and that we were in the hands of the ultimate professional. He was super responsive to all of our questions and ideas. He has truly an artistic eye and we LOVE our engagement and wedding photos... Read More as he captured our personalities and excitement. He was such a joy to have around on our big day. He seemed to be everywhere at once and caught every moment that we'll cherish forever. We received the pictures back sooner than we anticipated and they were fantastic! He is simply the best wedding photographer out there.

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Darcy P

Colin Lyons is the best! My husband and I both agree that choosing Colin and his team to shoot out wedding was the best decision we made while planning our wedding. And let me point out that my husband is a photographer, so he is extra picky about these things. Colin was... Read More punctual, classy, and a joy to be around all day. We have nothing but good things to say about him. Two of our bridesmaids were so impressed they are having him fly out to Florida to shoot their destination wedding.

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Cammy R

Colin Lyons was absolutely wonderful! We received so many compliments on the stunning pictures he took! We have already recommended him to all of our engaged friends!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Kelly B

Colin Lyons Photography is AWESOME!!!!! When beginning the search for a wedding photographer, I remembered that I loved someone's wedding pictures that I saw on facebook a couple years ago. I messaged that person and got a glowing recommendation. I immediately set up a meeting... Read More with Colin. From the beginning, Colin was laid-back, open-minded, and flexible. He gave us a winter discount since our wedding was in December. Throughout the planning process, Colin was easy to reach for the random question and squeezed us in for an engagement session when we changed our minds and decided we wanted to do it. He reached out to us to have a meeting a couple weeks before the wedding to discuss logistics and picture requests. Colin was super calm and fun during our engagement session and wedding day. We got our engagement pictures back after 30 days and received SO many compliments on our save-the-dates. We received a wedding preview 30 days after the event and received all the pictures 60 days after the event. We had a slideshow and an awesome website we could send to family and friends where Colin had all the pictures nicely organized into categories. Colin took the best formal and candid pictures!! Colin set up a super fun photo booth at the wedding where guests could plug their email addresses into his iPad and get all the pictures emailed to them that night!!! It was a huge hit! Overall, Colin was super easy (and really fun) to work with, he was professional, and our pictures are amazing!!! I would highly recommend you hire him!

Simply the BEST in the biz!

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Tye H

Choosing Colin Lyons as our photographer was by far the best decision we made throughout our wedding planning process! Colin was more than just a wedding vendor; he was a supportive, professional, and encouraging part of our special day. His talent is by far one of the best... Read More among the saturated Chicago photography market. The best thing about him is the value - because let's be honest, weddings are created on a budget. Yes, Colin might not be the least expensive option but he is certainly not the most. And we found that the amazing quality of our photos are above and beyond his price!! His photos, his creativity, and editing capabilities are definitely the best we've ever seen. 8 months later, I am still getting compliments about our wedding photos! One of Colin's greatest skills is his ability to capture the "joy" of the day. Upon meeting Colin, he mentioned this to me but I had no idea what that would actually translate to. Now I do. Our wedding photos literally transport you back to the day and time, and bring all of emotions with it - the happy tears, the joy, the excitement. It's truly incredibly. In addition, Colin's flexibility and patience is unmatched. I had a lot of requests and he was able to exactly replicate the vision I was looking for. He demonstrated openness to my feedback and opinions and made the process feel collaborative. Colin is someone I respect tremendously and am incredibly grateful I've met through this process. Thank you for documenting the greatest day of our lives in the best way possible! We couldn't have dreamed for a better outcome.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Gabriela L

We knew Colin was the right photographer for us from the moment we met him. He is extremely talented and professional. His work speaks for itself. Our guests raved about the photo booth and our wedding photos. We couldn't be any happier with our engagement and wedding photos.... Read More Thank you Colin for capturing such memorable moments.

Reviewed on 10/13/2015 Bailey H

Colin and his team are truly the best! The overall experience was nothing short of perfect. Taking so many photos can get monotonous and, quite frankly, boring, but not with Colin. He had great energy and excellent rapport with us and the bridal party. I would, hands down,... Read More recommend him to anyone looking for a top of the line photography experience at their wedding.

Worth it!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Jerica L

Colin was patient, kind, and incredibly knowledgable. He is professional, with a great sense of humor, and he magically knows how to keep a bride calm on the big day. He helped us narrow down exactly where we wanted our photos taken, how much time we'd need, and he even kept... Read More us on schedule. Colin managed to capture every aspect of our big day. We can't wait to get our prints! The photos are works of art and we could not be happier that we went with Colin. We highly recommend him!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Sarah B

There are not enough amazing things to say about Colin. Not only is he exceptionally talented, he was an absolute joy to work with through my wedding planning process as well as on my wedding day. A few days before my wedding, he took the time to meet with my husband and I... Read More to understand what our vision was for our wedding. He even drove to the town where we were getting married to scope out some locations ahead of our meeting! It is details like that make him the best photographer we could have asked for. Every single picture he took of our wedding day (including our engagement session) was one of my favorites and I had such a tough time deciding on which pictures I wanted to include in our album. He has such an amazing eye and made me feel and look beautiful on my wedding day. I would absolutely recommend Colin to any bride out there - trust me when I say you will not be disappointed.

Well Worth the Money!

Reviewed on 2/06/2015 Caron W

Colin is a great photographer and well worth the money! The first thing to note is that he was very responsive throughout our planning process. I especially liked that he put out of offices on his email when he was out of town for shoots so I would know when to expect to hear... Read More from him. It made communication back and forth very easy. He was also very straight forward and honest with us which was refreshing. Instead of just trying to make money off of us, he let us know that it would be the same amount of money or even cheaper just to print photos on our own (instead of through him) and to make our own photo album. This turned out to be great advice as I did our photo album myself on shutterfly. It turned out beautiful, I got to choose all the photos I wanted to use and it was much cheaper. As far as his photos go, they are beautiful! Both my husband, who is an amateur photographer himself, and myself were very pleased with the quality and clarity of the photos. We were also happy with everything Colin captured. We have fantastic photos of all parts of our day including getting ready, our first look, bridal party and family photos, everyone walking down the aisle, our ring exchange, our first kiss, etc. etc. He captured it all! We took photos all around Chicago prior to the ceremony and Colin made sure that we got everything in and stuck to our timeline. Also, since the weather forecast turned out to be less than stellar, Colin called me the day before to let me know that he would bring umbrellas for everyone and had back up spots in mind to take the place of some of our outdoor shot locations. He also stayed later into the night than expected to make sure he captured enough of the reception and took us outside to take night photos, which turned out AMAZING! The only thing I wish Colin did more of was give us a little more direction when setting up shots of the entire bridal party. After seeing the photos I kind of understand why he doesn't do this as the best photos are the candid ones that aren't "staged", however, I would have liked a few more, interesting posed photos with the bridal party. Overall, I am extremely happy with Colin (and the 2nd photographer he brought with him) and would definitely recommend him to other brides! If you want a seasoned wedding photographer who knows what he's doing and takes gorgeous photos, Colin is for you! On a side note: the photo booth was AMAZING. It took fantastic photos and everyone got a digital copy which was way better then those little strips that most people print out for you. As the bride and groom you also get all of the hilarious photo booth photos digitally which is great. I highly recommend doing this!

Colin is the best!!

Reviewed on 2/03/2015 Autumn E

First of all, from the very beginning he has been super easy and flexible to work with. He is professional and quick to respond to emails and texts. We first met him in the city to discuss his style, what we wanted, etc. We loved him right away because he wasn't pushy about... Read More upgrading packages/signing a contract and didn't seem to "solicit" his company like some vendors do. He was also very flexible in finding a deal that worked for both of us. We obviously loved his portfolio and loved him after meeting with him so we signed our contract shortly after that meeting. We then scheduled our engagement session, which my fiance was less than thrilled to do. Colin was awesome though at just capturing moments and not making the session awkward. Once we got those pictures back we were even more excited that we chose Colin because our pictures were beautiful!! We were so happy we did the session also because we got to know him before our wedding day and really see what his style was like. Then came our special day. I had a very tight schedule since we had a church service on a friday and did not do a first look beforehand, and I also didn't have a day-of planner. However, we had a skype meeting a few days before and talked about important items that I wanted to make sure were captured. Colin was very organized and direct with the wedding party when he needed to be to make sure we stayed within our time frame and to make sure we didn't miss anything that was important to us. He made the day run very smoothly! Finally, came the day when he sent us our pictures. WOW. We were blown away by how amazing his work is. I could look at our pictures everyday..if I had the time to look at 2,000 pictures everyday.. because he captures EVERYTHING even when you think something was missed! If I could describe Colin in a few words I would say: chill, fun, organized, and bestphotographerever. Definitely go with Colin Lyons Photography!

BEST & most TALENTED Wedding Photographer!

Reviewed on 12/07/2014 Maria R

My now husband and I knew that the wedding photographer was our top priority for our wedding so we met with several photographers. Upon meeting Colin and seeing his work, our decision was easy. He is truly a talented photographer who is a joy to work with and very... Read More professional in all his interactions. He takes photos unlike anyone else - he is artistic, polished, adventurous, and listens to his clients' visions and ideas. He is absolutely AMAZING. I continue to enjoy looking at my wedding photos and I feel like I'm there again on that very special day. He captures the moments and the personalities and has an incredible eye for beauty and artistry that you won't find with anyone else. Of all the wonderful, beautiful parts of my wedding day, the thing that stands out the most is the AMAZING work that Colin did. From the candids to the formal shots and the photo booth shots, Colin was the BEST! Other than saying "yes" to my husband, choosing Colin was the best decision I made for my wedding! I truly believe Colin is the BEST photographer out there!

Colin Lyons photo booth

Reviewed on 11/14/2014 Marry M

I am the mom of the groom. This is my first review and I could think of a better first review. Colin was amazing, sweet, nice and completely accommodating! It's so nice to find people like him. The photo booth!!!!! Oh where do I begin. One of the highlights of the wedding for... Read More sure. I have never received so many emails telling me how much they loved his concept of a photo booth. Amazing! I loved that you could download the pics to your email immediately. It was a BLAST. I completely recommend him.

Reviewed on 10/27/2014 Kelly L

First let me say i'm a typical guy and I hate posing for pictures until I met Colin. He made our engagement shoot and wedding day so much that I actually had a great time!! He knows great little spots to take pictures at and captures you in truly candid moments, we never felt... Read More overly staged or cheesy. His process is very organic and he lets you make the moments you want to remember. His candid shots and great eye for detail made everything from the ceremony to the reception photos perfect. In looking through all the photos I never had a moment where I said "oh I wish I had gotten a picture of x." Colin really takes the time to get to you know and he makes it feel like you are out with a friend taking pictures which leaves you at ease. The best thing I have to say is that Colin knows when to stop taking photos and allows you to just enjoy your moment, which makes the event even more unforgetable.

CZ Bride

Reviewed on 10/26/2014 Christin P

We couldn't be a bigger fan of Colin Lyons as both a person and a photographer. He was one of the first calls I made after getting engaged and choosing a date. He had done three of my friends weddings and I couldn't imagine not having him at ours. He is a professional but also a... Read More friend throughout the process, which was important to me. Photographers can be one of the largest expenses of a wedding and you want to be sure that your day is captured in the way you imagined. Colin did more than that, he added to the day. He really listened to the vision that we wanted for our wedding and photographed us in a way that truly captured our personalities. That may seem like a given, but we never got engagement photos done, and Colin never met my husband until the day of our wedding. So he didn't really get to know my husband well until the day of our wedding. Colin met me a couple of times to discuss prepping for the wedding, but never met my husband. You'd never know that by the way he conducted himself the day of our wedding. He didn't need any direction the day of the wedding, he came right in and got to work. As the bride, the last thing you want to do is worry about giving everyone direction, especially the photographer. And yes, we did have a planner, but that's still only 1 person. Many times the photographer is in a position where they act like that planner and make sure the day is moving along at the proper pace. Also, we got married at the American Club and I had no idea where to take pictures. Colin scouted the area and found the perfect spot by lake Michigan which captured the navy in the bridesmaid dresses and was the perfect blue backdrop for our photos. I thought we'd be on a golf course taking photos (I wasn't crazy about that idea) and Colin went above and beyond and found a place offsite that was absolutely beyond perfect. We couldn't be bigger fans of Colin Lyons and his assistant photographers. They were beyond just wedding photographers, extremely easy to work with and did the best job of capturing pictures in an extremely quick fashion. I never felt like I was pulled away from my guests just to take pictures. I felt like he only added to the day and can't even imagine not having him as our photographer. I know that he mainly does weddings, but guess what're definitely doing our family photos, holiday cards, etc. I will NEVER use anyone else. Colin Lyons is absolutely the best photographer in Chicago. He's energetic, charismatic, professional, amazing at his job and truly an all-around awesome person. Colin is the best of the best and deserves all the praise that comes his way!

Best vendor ever!

Reviewed on 9/14/2014 Whitney P

If I had to recommend one wedding vendor that people must use, it would be Colin Lyons! He captured our wedding perfectly and was so much fun to work with. Colin captured every small moment and detail of the day, even the fleeting ones that lasted only a second. My wife had... Read More tons of picture requests to get throughout the night and Colin got them all. Colin is clearly passionate about his work and has so much fun doing his job. He made us comfortable throughout the day and made it easy to get such amazing wedding shots. On top of that, his experience shines through in his suggestions, his ability to keep the day moving, and obviously the pictures! Colin even went the extra mile and pushed our trolley driver to make one more stop to snap some incredible pictures. I've had multiple friends and guests tell me the pictures really captured the emotion of the day. Another even said they wished their photographer was as good as him!!! We met with Colin multiple times before the wedding and always felt like we were hanging out with a friend. He makes you comfortable and takes your ideas seriously, even the strange ones, and offers his suggestions. We never felt rushed or pushed to do anything we didn't want. On top of that Colin put in extra time during our engagement shoot (also amazing), all our meetings, and the day of. He's also the most responsive vendor we had, responding same day to most e-mails. Long story short, USE COLIN!!!!

Colin Lyons

About my work: I grew up as a photographer and have never looked back. Photography provides me with a means to live while allowing me to explore my interests. I love my career. Being a wedding photographer allows me to be a part of the lives of you, my clients. I am happiest when I feel as though I shoot beside you as both a photographer and as a person you know. It's a perfect symbiosis; in my life, work is a word that means to create. I love to shoot my work, and attend weddings as your photographer. I look forward to hearing from you. Contact me today to check availability for your date.