Darren Breen Photography

On Location Photography for West Michigan & beyond

Photo Ninja and his Lovely Wife

Darren Breen Photography is a husband-wife team from Grand Haven, MI. Darren is a trained photojournalist and makes the majority of your gorgeous wedding photos, while Mandy looks after details, equipment, and helping to keep your big day run as smoothly as possible. We believe in the power of great photographs to document the genuine joys of your wedding day, and have fun working together to capture your love!

Artistic, Documentary

Engagement

Getting Engaged, Wedding

Online Proofing, Digital Files, Photo, Second Shooter Available

Grand Haven, MI On Location Photography for West Michigan & beyond (616) 795-1632

Darren is a master, we couldn't have asked for a better photographer

Reviewed on 1/18/2015

Working with Darren was a wonderful experience. We're in our 30's and have been in our share of wedding parties, and attended plenty of weddings, but I cannot imagine working with any other photographer for our own. Darren has mastered both the art and craft of... Read More photography. Everything clicks along like a smooth running machine. From the engagement shoot, to the planning, to the day of, to the edited photos. Darren pops up to lead the process when it's appropriate, and then quietly drops to the background. His pleasant and confident demeanor is such a nice contrast to the cheesy over-the-top-ness one often sees in wedding photographers. The posed photos were all incredibly well executed, they look great, and are visually interesting. He really listened to us and got to know our personality, and it showed in the final product. By far my favorite photos are the candids. Darren has an amazing way of not just capturing moments, but really grabbing the feeling and telling a story with each frame. I look back on the photos and it really evokes the feelings of the day. I feel like we have real living, breathing documentation of the day that we can show our future kids and grandkids, as well as reflect on fondly for many years to come. I can't think of even a slightly critical thing to say about Darren, you cannot go wrong booking him for your wedding!

Reviewed on 11/25/2015 Kelly V

When I first met Darren, I knew I wanted to have him be our wedding photographer. His pictures from other weddings captured those perfect moments and emotions. I knew I needed pictures like that like I needed air. :) Anyway, Darren was amazing. He was constantly communicating... Read More with us beforehand. His wife helped him on our big day and she was just the best. She helped me keep my cool which was a blessing. Wedding day jitters are a real thing. The pictures? I couldn't have been more of an emotional wreck (in a completely good way) when we finally got to look through them all. I laughed. I cried. We got those beautiful pictures we had only dreamed of having. I couldn't recommend Darren enough. If you're reading this and wondering if he could be your wedding photographer, make it happen. :)

Couldn't ask for more!

Reviewed on 1/18/2015 Kelly W

Darren was so great! I couldn't imagine a more passionate and thorough photographer for our wedding. His vision went well beyond capturing exactly what we wanted. His ideas, both planned ahead and on the fly, made for some of our favorite shots. The engagement session took us... Read More all over downtown Grand Rapids, and he actually made it pretty fun. This should mean a lot coming from the groom. When it began to rain, we assumed we were done, but Darren got out his rain equipment and urged us on. The rain effect he did made for some of our favorite photos! We had a very specific shot in mind to blow up for signing the day of the wedding. When the photos came back, he sensed that we didn't quite get exactly what we wanted and initiated a reshoot one evening after work. He made the trip back to Grand Rapids to get the perfect picture all included in the original bundled price. On the day of the wedding, he was at the hotel with the girls while they got ready and stayed with us all day/night even as the venue closed. We could not be happier with the almost 2,000 edited photos! We absolutely recommend Darren to future couples.

Reviewed on 11/01/2016 Brian D

Great experience overall! Darren got great photos without being a distraction. He was also creative and able to get unique once in a lifetime photos.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Erin H

Darren did an amazing job capturing our wedding day. He understood our vision and brought it to life through his photography. It was so much fun for us to go through the photos and remember the day – he captured all the best memories from the entire day and made everyone look... Read More great. We did a “destination” wedding in Grand Haven so we weren’t familiar with the area, and he was great at making recommendations and showing us around to great photo locations – we only wish we’d had more time in the day so we could have made it to all the places! Darren also went above and beyond on our engagement photos to get to know us during the session and to deliver amazing photos that we could use in our wedding day guest book. Darren was great to work with, and we would highly recommend him for wedding photography.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Laurel A

Darren was one of the best choices we made during our wedding planning! We did our engagement photos as well as the wedding day photos with him. The engagement photos helped get my fiance, now husband, and I accustomed to Darren and his style of photography. On our wedding day,... Read More Darren was a calm presence and did not get flustered even when we were off schedule! I highly recommend him for beautiful artistic photos that capture the day as well as an energetic presence behind the camera. Darren Breen did a great job - would make this decision over again many times!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Aiyana B

Darren is a fantastic photographer! He is creative and professional. We love how our photos turned out. He is worth the price, didn't have to stress at all that my pictures would be great. He is highly recommended!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 John D

My wife Dolly and I loved having Darren and Mandy photographing our wedding at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago. Darren is a photographic wizard. He captures the candid shots especially well. He also had many good suggestions for wedding pictures and how to plan the... Read More schedule for the wedding day.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Vicki H

Overall Darren did a terrific job. He was very detail-oriented and made certain we were happy with his recommendations, etc. We would have loved more photos of the people who attended, but that may have just been a miscommunication between us and him. We also only had Darren... Read More take pictures of the ceremony and start of the reception so there was not a lot of time. We were married on the beach and Darren took some very beautiful pics of my husband and I walking on the beach/dunes prior to the ceremony.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Brittany C

Darren and his wife were great! Darren is such a fun, nice guy to work with who produces great images, expresses his creativity, and really gets to your level. I am a photographer as well, and he was very nice in asking me if I had any shots I wanted to do, etc, and he respected... Read More our wishes to not call our bridal brigade "bridesmaids" (personal preference), but his listening skills and raw talent really helped us have a great day.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Kathleen K

Darren and Mandy were fabulous photographers! They were kind, fun, and so very hard working! Darren was incredibly responsive well in advance of my wedding and was very thoughtful throughout the entire process. As I was planning a wedding from across the country, I couldn't be... Read More there to do a walk through with him, but thankfully my mom could. She couldn't say enough wonderful things. He noted where light fell and calculated where it would be come the wedding, he had plan B and probably a plan C. Not only did he help me through the photos, but he gave great advice on things such as timeframes and other wedding insight that a first-timer like myself couldn't possibly have known of. Plus, our photos turned our phenomenal! I could not recommend him and his wonderful wife Mandy highly enough!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Tara G

Darren was an amazing photographer! We were getting eaten alive by mosquitoes during our engagement shoot and it didn't even phase Darren! He was very focused and wanted to do everything he could to take amazing photos, which he accomplished! When it came to our wedding, I... Read More absolutely loved him and his wife! They make an amazing team and do everything they can to make your wedding great! They pulled us aside later in the night to get some night photos of just me and my husband and I love that they took the time to do that!! I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I would highly recommend Darren for a photographer. You can really tell its his passion and he will not let you down. I couldn't have been happier with my choice for my wedding photographer.

Reviewed on 12/03/2015 Amy V

Darren and Mandy are the dream team of wedding photography! Darren has such an amazing talent for capturing ‘moments’ which is exactly what you want on your wedding day. His focus is not on the formal photos but the moments that you share with family and friends that make the... Read More day perfectly special. Darren captured the natural fun and excitement that is so important. Darren's ability not to miss a moment is incredible and his energy and passion comes across in the photos. Darren and Mandy make such a great team and we could not be happier that we chose them to capture our wedding.

So we wanted a "photo ninja"...

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Christel W

When you AND your husband to be are freelance photographers (who don't like to be photographed...oh the irony lol) finding your perfect wedding photographer goes to a whole new level of difficult. Did I mention we were on a budget as well? Oh, adding to this dilemma...my fiance... Read More was living in Michigan & I'm in North Carolina! After looking through about a dozen photographers we found Darren Breen on a site for a wedding walk event in Grand Haven MI. Once we emailed Darren letting him know about our vintage 40's/50's style wedding & our multiple challenges:logistics, finances, finding someone who can be a "photo ninja" & get great shots of us since we're generally the ones taking the photos etc; it didn't take long before we knew that Darren was our guy. He was the only photographer who took an interest in our photography & actually looked at our work to get a feel for us as artists. This really meant a lot to me, it meant that he took the time to see what our style of photography was, so as to know what we were wanting from him as an artist. Darren (& his wife) were so incredibly nice & easy to work with, the 2411 remaining characters that I have left aren't enough to describe how wonderful they are! As my (now) husband & I gave Darren ideas we had for photos, he was very receptive. The Big Day came & of course as these things tend to go...we had a few hiccups. We were running late, there were issues with the music etc. Darren just rolled with it & even had to save the day at the last minute when our music wouldn't work! His lovely wife downloaded the song I was to walk down the aisle to on her phone to plug into the sound system. At the reception we had a lot of fun getting shots that we had talked about around a pool table, then down at the beach/lakeside. After it was all over & we got to see the final result there were so many photos that my husband & I kept saying "I didn't know he got that!" Darren truly lived up to our hopes of a Photo Ninja. We couldn't have been happier. All the photos captured the day & all the things that made it unique to us, just as we had hoped. Darren made our vision come to life in his images just as we knew he would. Friends & family that look at his photos can't stop complimenting us on our choice of photographers. We couldn't imagine having anyone else there with us on that day. Typically your vendors get forgotten about after all is said & done where as Darren & his wife felt like old friends at our wedding. We never felt like we had strangers there intruding on our celebration, with cameras in our faces. You only saw their smiling faces & saw the great images captured later. Darren Breen Photography does not disappoint!

Amazing attention to detail!!!

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Mandi C

We chose Darren Breen as our wedding photographer after he came highly recommended from another wedding vendor. After viewing his portfolio and speaking with him, he was clearly the correct choice for us. With our wedding package, we also got engagement photos, but we opted to... Read More go for a less traditional photo shoot that included 4-5 different locations, 3 outfit changes, and even our dogs. Throughout the entire shoot, Darren was extremely professional, funny, and understanding of what we were going for, and he spent over 5 hours taking hundreds of pictures for us. He made us feel very comfortable with him, to the point that when we saw him at our wedding, it was like reconnecting with an old friend. On our wedding day, Darren spent 12 hours with us, taking pictures of the girls getting ready, the wedding, the bridal party pics, and the entire wedding reception. I think he and his wife Mandy were the last to leave the venue. The variety in the pictures that he took, and his ability to capture moments of every guest at the wedding made the collection of photos he sent to us a few weeks later into almost a flip-book reminder of our amazing day. Darren really understood who we were and what we were looking for in our wedding photos, and the quality of the photos that he took will be cherished forever!

Our Wedding 8/15/15

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Ashley K

Darren is a true professional and master of his craft- Getting married was one of the most stressful times of my life-During my initial interview with Darren I knew in the first 5 minutes he was the one for the job! Darren went above and beyond to ensure he fully understood... Read More my expectations. A couple weeks before our wedding he went and did a site visit of our ceremony site, reception venue and all of the other spots we wanted pics. During this visit he took sample photos to figure out the right angles to shoot from, where the sun would be, etc etc. I wanted someone who would capture candid moments/raw emotions throughout the day without a camera in my face- Darren delivered--I honestly didn't even notice him the whole day- he was like a sneaky ninja who captured some of the most beautiful photos! I knew I made the right choice when Darren messaged me the night before my wedding letting me know he was alive and well and looked forward to shooting our wedding. You will NOT regret going with Darren- it will be the easiest decision you'll make! Happy Wedding planning!

Great Photos

Reviewed on 4/03/2015 Anna S

Darren took photos for my wedding in 2013. He did a wonderful job. He was very flexible and worked with every request that I had. The quality of his photos was very high. He was especially good and capturing non-staged moments that really savored the emotions of the day. He is... Read More also has a great, easy-going personality. Two thumbs up!

Exceptional Wedding Photographer

Reviewed on 3/17/2015 Alison W

Darren's photography is amazing and I am extremely happy with our photos. He was professional and very accommodating. He made himself available and has continued to be very helpful with wedding photo requests and questions well after the wedding. I was more interested in... Read More "action" photos than portraits and he did a wonderful job. He stayed until the very end of the reception and that was much appreciated. His prices are very reasonable, particularly considering the quality of the photos, his customer service, and the amount of time he spent with us on the day of the wedding. I can't remember exactly what we paid for photos, but I believe it was around $2500. Darren will work with you on pricing to get you what you want for your budget. I highly recommend Darren for both wedding and engagement photos.

Highly Recommended!!!

Reviewed on 1/27/2015 Anna K

Darren was very easy to work with, which really put us at ease. He was very professional, and worked very well with everyone. He went above and beyond in all ways. Darren is also an extremely talented photographer in a way that many people do not achieve.

Best Value in Town!

Reviewed on 1/22/2015 Michelle M

Darren Breen Photography is the best value in the area. The quality, quantity, and professionalism I got for my wedding was more than expected. Darren really takes the time to get to know you and what you expect out of your wedding photos. I got all the photos I asked for, plus... Read More many more thanks to Darren's creative mind! I refer him to all my bride friends and he is going to be photographing my friend's wedding this summer! I highly recommend Darren Breen Photography for anyone looking for a great value and wonderful photos!

Great PhotoJournalistic Style!

Reviewed on 1/21/2015

Darren did a great job capturing our wedding. He has a journalistic style that really captured the feel of the day. Make sure to let him know all of the traditional or posed pictures you want as he tends to lean towards journalistic. If he knows he will make sure to get them!

great photographer

Reviewed on 1/21/2015

We loved having Darren as our photographer for our wedding! he listened carefully to what we wanted and delivered beautiful pictures. He was both fun and professional. We'd definitely recommend him!

Totally recommend!

Reviewed on 1/20/2015 Megan S

We met Darren at a Grand Rapids bridal expo then proceeded to have a 2 hour long meeting with him a couple weeks later. We knew pretty quickly that he was the right person for the job! He was receptive to our creative outlooks and excited to capture the special touches of our... Read More day! He was willing to go above and beyond whenever I had a question or concern (even when I was sending him Pinterest pictures at all hours of the night as "inspiration"). I really got a feel for Darren when we had our engagement shoot with him. This was a very long shoot (only because he kept having great ideas!) but gave us some unbelievable shots that captured our engagement perfectly. We loved his photo's and can't find enough room in the house to display our favorites! He also had a wide variety of packages as well to fit any financial need. I totally recommend Darren!!

Best Choice for Photographer!

Reviewed on 1/19/2015

Darren and his assistant were amazing photographers! They fit right in with our crowd and were so much fun. Darren is extremely talented and dedicated. He worked so hard the entire day of our wedding to get the perfect shots, and for such a reasonable price. My family and... Read More friends all loved him, and we are beyond thrilled with our wedding photos! So many shots, traditional poses and awesome action shots too. I highly recommend Darren Breen Photography for any occasion. We will without a doubt be using him again!

Picture Perfect

Reviewed on 1/19/2015

I meet Darren at a bridal show, and was immediately drawn to his aesthetic. Looking through his photo albums, I felt like they were telling a story, and I could feel the emotions in the pictures. After speaking with him, and learning of his background in photojournalism, it made... Read More perfect sense! Speaking with him that first time, while only briefly, I knew he was the photographer for us. Leading up to the wedding, I was blown away by his professionalism, detail, flexibility, and how he took the time to get to know my fiancee and myself. He made it a priority to know and understand our personalities, likes and dislikes, and I think that was an integral part in the success of our wedding day and how our pictures turned out. On our wedding day, he went above and beyond. He was with us from very early in the morning until nearly midnight. He was a source of calm amidst all the craziness leading up to that walk down the aisle, and continued to be throughout the night. He had an ability to disappear into the background while still being able to capture every moment and detail brilliantly! After the party had ended, although it was already late, Darren stayed with my husband and I and took some more pictures – including some outside in the cold and rain which turned out to be some of our favorites! Even though the wedding is over, and he’s provided us with all our pictures, while some photographers may consider their job done, Darren is still making himself available to us while we chose our pictures and photo albums. To me, this exemplifies what an outstanding photographer Darren is. He values his clients, he clearly values his work and art, and all that shows through in his pictures. In short, our pictures turned out more incredible than we could have ever imagined, and it was an absolute pleasure working with Darren and having him be a part of our special day!