About Our Business

Defining Studios is a Hartford-based photography and cinematic film production company defining new industry standards for wedding photos and films. Lead photographers Heather and Roger Castonguay and lead videographer Kevin Lee Huss provide local and destination wedding services of the highest quality, emphasizing strong technical quality and unmatched interpersonal skills. View our work. Meet our team. Then book your wedding knowing you’ve got the most dedicated and energetic photographers and videographers there with you when it matters most.

Artistic, Documentary, Modern

Bridal Portraits, Day After Session, Engagement

Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Photo + Video

56 Arbor St. , Hartford, CT CT/NY/NJ/RI/VT (860) 906-8099

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Shannon L

After meeting Heather and Roger at my best friends wedding and then seeing how great their work was I knew I had to have them for my wedding. We had our engagement photos done with them which came out amazing. Our wedding was this past weekend and everyone was raving about... Read More them. Heather and Roger are a joy to work with and I can't wait to see how all the pictures turn out. I highly recommend them and look forward to hopefully work with them again during future milestones in our lives.

2017-05-30T12:13:03 Response from the vendor

Thank You so much! It was a FANTASTIC day and your photos are going to be amazing!! :)

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Amy D

We LOVED working with Roger & Heather! Roger came out and took photos of us and our dogs at our house for our engagement shoot. He did an AWESOME job helping to keep the dogs engaged so that they would sit and "smile" for the camera. We had a unique request for a shot that... Read More involved my husband jumping over me on his dirt bike that he absolutely nailed! We got such awesome feedback from our guests since we put that photo on our save the date, I am so happy we used it! The day of the wedding was even better! I had sent R&H a link to my "Wedding Photography" Pinterest page before the wedding and asked if they could pick some from that list for photos of us and our bridal party. Heather actually printed the list and brought it the day of the wedding and checked shots off as we took them. Loved that! They did a great job wrangling in our family and bridal party for photos as well since they were not the easiest group to handle (in my opinion). We did a first look underneath a tree that overlooked a beautiful field. They staged the whole thing and caught such a special moment on camera for us! Since we had our dogs there for the first look and bridal party photos, Roger and Heather managed to get some awesome shots of them as well, which made my husband and I so happy! Less then a week after the wedding, they posted about 75 photos from our wedding onto their FB page. They came out so great and it got me so excited to see the rest! While it took longer to get all our photos back then our contract had stated, it was definitely worth the wait! We received a beautiful wooden box with a photo of us on the cover and an engraved wooden USB was inside. Such a nice touch that sets them apart from other photographers! Without the exceptional service from Defining Studios, our wedding day would not have been captured so perfectly! I cannot wait to hire them again for future photo sessions! Thank you H&R - you guys rock!!!!

2016-09-19T14:15:08 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for these awesome words! You were both (and the pups) a pleasure to work with!! :)

Reviewed on 1/20/2016

LOVE THEM!!!!! Roger and Heather are so amazing and so wonderful to work with. I was so nervous and anxious about the whole wedding day and as soon has heather and Roger arrived, i felt sooo much better. they took control of the timing and where people need to be. They... Read More communicated with the DJ and kept everything so organized. And of course.... the pictures are wonderful!!! I am so happy with all of them. They do amazing candid shots and staged pictures. I found Roger and Heather at a wedding expo and from the moment we met, I knew they were going to be awesome to work with. All of our guests thought they were so awesome and they have such great personalities. They made everyone feel comfortable, which made the process of family photos easier and the picture come out so much better. I have been recommending they to everyone for weddings or anything they want/need photography for. Even one of our groomsmen(that is married) has been telling everyone that he wants to get re-married so he can Roger and Heather be the photographers!! LOVE THEM!!!!!

2017-07-11T11:31:31 Response from the vendor

We appreciate the recommendations! I'm sure we'll see you at a wedding or 2 soon ;) You had a beautiful day and we were so happy to be a part of it!

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Heather K

Choosing a photographer should be a hard choice to make, after all they are the ones who will be preserving your memories of hopefully the best day of your life. Luckily for us, we met with Defining Stuidos first. We had already heard great things about them from our venue . As... Read More soon as we walked out of the meeting with Roger, one of the owners, we both looked at each-other and said let's book them! During that first meeting, Roger really took the time to learn about us, told us everything they offered and made sure we had all questions answered. We were both shocked at how much time he spent with us (about 2 hours) considering he just had a baby the day before-and was not feeling very well himself. On the day of the wedding they were Fantastic! Heather, his wife and co-owner, came to the venue and photographed the bride and the bridesmaids getting ready. Roger went to the hotel to get the photos of the groom side. They were so accommodating, they got every single picture combination I asked for and trust me they were given multiple pages of combos that I wanted taken. Heather and Roger worked great together, once Heather left for the evening we had Roger for the Reception. He was so much fun. He got all the different groups together. He captured all the silliness and even all the inappropriate stuff because he knew I wanted that. I can't wait to see the pictures when they are done. We also had Kevin video a few hours of our ceremony and reception. We cannot wait to see that. He was a great guy to work with, really made you feel comfortable. I am so glad that we decided to add this on to our package even though everyone told me how fast your wedding day goes by and how much you miss I didn't believe it. It's only been 48 hours since I said I do-and I cannot wait to see the video because I realized I didn't get to take in the whole ceremony. I missed so much because I was so focused on my husband and my vows I didn't see what was going on around me. I cannot wait to see the video. What is even more incredible is that within the first 48 hours of our wedding, we were sent our first look photos, a top 100 or so images from our wedding, with the remaining photos to be delivered within 4-6 weeks. These photos were uploaded to a special website that is password protected, so only our invited guests would be able to see those images. I hate to say it, but I didn’t cry much at my wedding, but looking at the photos that Roger and Heather took made me tear up. Their work is spectacular, and they know exactly how to capture the images that you will treasure for a lifetime. All I have to say is great things about everyone from Defining Studios. Many of our guests also told us how much they enjoyed Roger during the reception. We would book them again in a heartbeat! And so should you!

Reviewed on 6/23/2017 Joey C

Best photographers ever!!! We received so many comments from family and friends about how great Heather and Roger Castonguay were! The photos are absolutely stunning and those were just the sneak previews. Thanks for making our day special.

2017-07-11T11:30:29 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much! It was a WONDERFUL day!! :)

Reviewed on 5/13/2017 Ivelisse P

Roger and Heather were absolutely amazing. I never really spent much time thinking about what wedding photographers should be like until I met with Roger for the consultation. I realized then that his personality was a huge selling point for me, simply because I knew he would... Read More make a point of mingling with my guest and getting great pictures. I was so right. All of my guests have raved about him, my aunt is even wondering if she can fly Roger and Heather down to Florida to do her wedding pictures!!

2017-05-16T09:48:37 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much! And we would love an opportunity for a mini vacation/work adventure in the Sunshine State :)

Reviewed on 1/04/2017 Melissa A

Booking Defining Studios for our wedding day was the best decision! Heather and Roger are so talented, and it is clear that they are passionate about their work. They are well organized, and made sure that everything went smoothly on the day of the wedding. Roger was with us... Read More for the entire evening, and it was such a joy to have him there with us. He interacted with our wedding party and our families perfectly - everybody loved him! He was proactive about finding unique and beautiful shots inside and outside of our venue (The Society Room of Hartford), and did an awesome job engaging with the crowd! Thank you so much for the beautiful photos, and for being a part of our wedding day.

2017-07-11T11:32:31 Response from the vendor

Such a fun night! We LOVED your wedding pictures and will be showing them off in our portfolio soon!

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Trisha F

It was a real pleasure working with Roger and Heather. From the first time I met Roger and Heather at the Bridal Expo in Hartford I knew I wanted them to be a part of our wedding. I wanted a photographer who I felt comfortable with…who felt like a friend. I immediately felt... Read More that when I met Roger and Heather. I also fell in love with their pictures and the little personal touches they offered. Roger and Heather made the process so easy and fun! This is nice because planning a wedding can be very stressful. During our wedding we got numerous compliments from family and friends how much they enjoyed working with Roger, especially his personality. Also how they are enjoying all the photos and cannot believe how wonderful they came out! Even our immediate family and friend expressed how it was a pleasure to have both Roger and Heather with us during our Getting Ready and 1st Look Photos…that they both made it easy and helped everything run smooth. They are a wonderful team! We feel truly honored to have been lucky enough to find them and have them help us to capture so many beautiful memories. Our engagement and wedding photos were just stunning! Thank you again we cannot say that enough Trisha and Ryan!

2017-07-11T11:33:10 Response from the vendor

You guys were such a fun couple!! Thanks so much for the great review :)

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Gerri N

Roger and Heather were awesome and came through for us at the last minute! Roger is a professional who will work with you at your level (I have a serious potty mouth and he didn't bat an eyelash - I could be myself Woohoo!). He has a quirky and fun sense of humor which... Read More produces full, toothy grins from those guests who don't normally smile that way! By the time the reception began, Roger knew our guests and had them all at ease. We also got to know him. It made the occasion more fun and not at all stressful. Thanks again so much!! 😁😜

2017-07-11T11:33:44 Response from the vendor

LOL we were glad to be there. Roger had a blast!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Jillian M

Working with these two for both our engagement shoot and our wedding was amazing! They are so much fun and they always made us feel 100% more comfortable. We are absolutely amazed with our wedding photos and everyone we show them too also loves them. I would highly recooked... Read More using them for any occasion! We'll be using them again for a newborn shoot in just 6 more months!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Zak W

Heather and Roger are very professional and easy to talk to. Made the entire process of taking care of the photos for the wedding easy. I didn't have to worry about it at all. Photos came out amazing and in an extremely timely manner. I'd recommend them to anybody.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Lindsay S

Finding an amazing photographer for our wedding day was one of my top priorities and when I met Heather and Roger at a bridal show we clicked right away! My husband and I are both a little awkward when having our picture taken, and I was absolutely blown away by how great our... Read More photos came out! Both photographers made us look great and gave us beautiful and artistic photos that we will cherish forever. Heather and Roger were both a joy to work with and so much fun to be around on our wedding day. Definitely one of the best decisions we made for our wedding! Thank you so much Defining Studios!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Kita R

I have no words to explain how amazing Defining Studios is - book and you will not regret! What an amazing talent Roger and Heather have. They worked hard at making our photos perfect - we shared our ideas and they delivered. Great job! So helpful from the very beginning and we... Read More got our photos so quick

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Vanesa B

Heather and Roger were amazing and very supportive the day of. My guests loved both of them. I was pleased when we received our photos. They were all so beautiful and we will have a difficult time picking our favorites for a coffee table book.

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Larisa K

We knew from researching their online portfolios that these two are incredibly talented photographers. What led us to making an immediate decision to hire them during our initial consult was personality! Roger and Heather bring the perfect energy for a celebration. They were... Read More such a fun part of our wedding day - they helped us feel relaxed in front of the camera, interacted with our guests, and went above-and-beyond in capturing all of the little moments that occurred throughout the night. We've already referred our friends to them (and will continue doing so for all other engaged couples!) and can't wait to see them this December for another wedding. Oh, and of course, the pictures of our wedding were even better than we expected!

2016-09-19T14:14:17 Response from the vendor

Thank You so much!! We are looking forward to seeing you in December as well. Thanks so much for the referrals!!!! :)

Reviewed on 1/14/2016 Ashley M

Defining Studios is wonderful, I cannot thank them enough for their beautiful work capturing our wedding day. Not only is their work top notch, they are fun people to be around. They kept our bridal party laughing the entire time, keeping things light yet still organized to fit... Read More in all the shots we wanted. I would recommend Heather and Roger over and over again to any bride and groom, thank you both for capturing our wedding memories so perfectly!

2016-09-29T15:12:43 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much you guys! Your wedding was just stunning and we were so excited to do it :)

Reviewed on 9/20/2015

I originally met Roger and Heather when they did my sister's wedding in 2011. Booking them was probably one of the easiest and most important decisions we made for our big day. The consultation was FUN, and we were immediately comfortable with Roger. They did our Engagement... Read More photos in November of 2014 and they were amazing. It was a fun afternoon down at the Nautilus Museum with Roger. When our wedding day came, we knew the pictures were going to be amazing, but we were still blown away by the quality of not only the staged shots but the candid ones as well. My friends and family loved Heather and Roger and I would not hesitate to recommend them to other couples. Now we have to pick pictures to have printed, which seems to be the hardest part since there are so many to choose from!

Defining Studios Unbelievable Work

Reviewed on 8/16/2015

Defining studios came recommended to us from a family member. After meeting with Roger for a consultation in regards to our wedding, we knew they were going to be our photographers. Roger and Heather are the hardest working and most professional duo you could ever ask for.... Read More Their unbelievable attention to detail made our wedding day so much easier. We would recommend Defining Studios to anyone!

The Defining Photo

Reviewed on 1/23/2015 Amy F

I can't say enough great things about The Defining Photo. I booked Heather and Roger in February for my October wedding. During the planning process, Heather was always available via email to answer my millions of questions, and we met with Roger to talk about the specifcs... Read More of the day. They were both a pleasure to work with before and during the wedding. When I was stressing out about a couple of unfinished details in the hours before the wedding, they were there early, reassuring me that they would make sure everything was done the way I wanted it, even though the tasks had nothing to do with photography. After the ceremony, Roger and Heather were efficient, and had locations and pictures planned out in order to maximize the perfect lighting window, which lasts about 15 minutes I never saw them during the reception, but I probably got at least 10 Compliments on how amazing my photographer was! He had everyone laughing and smiling. Even though I didn't see them, they caught every moment, and the pictures really tell the story of my amazing day. The pictures are a wonderful mix of organic yet polished and artistic, which perfectly suits my style. Although I do think that the service was more than I expected to pay, the prices were on par with, or below most of the other photo services we saw. Their sample pictures pushed us over the edge initially, but meeting Roger in person solidified our decision to use Defining Studios. I would certainly recommend them with highest regard to anyone in need of a photographer.

Really great energy and amazing photos!

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Heather C

We had so much fun shooting with Heather & Roger! They were so organized, so great with the kids, and took amazing photos despite the rainy weather. They really made my best friends day memorable!

Boat Wedding

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 patti w

My husband and I had a small wedding on a boat. Heather and Roger made us feel like it was a grand affair. They were both very professional, friendly to all our guests and accommodating to our schedule. The pictures are beautiful and I have refered them to many of my friends... Read More and family. They are a great team!!!

Fun and engaging

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

Heather and Roger were fun and interacted great with us guests especially arranging great group and dancing photos that we really enjoyed later on.

True Professionals

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

The Defining Photo is the epitome of professionalism and courtesy. Roger and Heather are photographic storytellers with a unique sensitivity for capturing the essence of a moment and an individual. They both bring their inspiring yet unobtrusive energy into their shoots,... Read More allowing for honest and candid images. They offer an online gallery of your full day's images for family and friends to view post wedding. Well-recommended photographers, The Defining Photo will exceed your expectations.

The Defining Photo

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Jessica M

These guys did my wedding in 2011 and since then have provided excellent and consistent customer service and photos of our first son as well! All of our guests raved about the fun and unique photos that Roger and Heather took and they are fun to have as guests at the wedding... Read More too! Roger did great organizing a tipsy bridal party for amazing pictures and Heather was even on a ladder on the dance floor at one point! I recommend them for any event, especially one of the most important days of your life- your wedding day! I wouldn't trust anyone else with those memories!

Absolutely the Best

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Casey M

My husband are so lucky to have met Roger & Heather at a Bridal Show 4 years ago. They were such a friendly and fun couple, we knew they fit right in with our crowd at our wedding. My husband and I both wanted someone who didn't force us to take too many posed photos. We... Read More wanted really candid, fun, and beautiful photos that would help us relive the day for years and years to come. We never felt awkward or forced while Heather and Roger were taking our photos, they blended in so well with us all. Roger has such a great eye and has given us really incredibly shots that encapsulate our wedding, our relationship, and our family. And Heather puts together the most excellent wedding albums - we even had additional parent albums made up and they were all just superbly done! We trust these two so much, we've even had them photograph our daughter when she was a newborn, at 6 months, and at one year. Just this past month, Heather and Roger were the photographers at my husband's brother's wedding. Again they blended in so well with our family and friends. Heather helped put the Bride at ease and was able to improvise when the weather wasn't agreeing with the Bride's vision. We ended up with beautiful outdoor photos, despite the rain. They made it work with umbrellas and fall foliage - the bride and groom ended up with such uniquely beautiful photos to cherish. Heather & Roger were also able to corral our 18 month old flower girl and get some wonderful family photos of us at the wedding as well. They really handle any obstacle you might throw at them! We still hear from our parents, siblings, and friends how much they loved the photographers and we get asked how we found them all the time. I can not recommend these two enough. You will honestly feel so at ease trusting Heather and Roger with capturing your beautiful day, and maybe even a few more important days in your family's lives after that!!

2014-10-29T20:18:19 Response from the vendor

Aww thanks guys! You are the best!!! We love that we have worked with you for years and now we get to see your family grow!!!! :)

Roger & Heather Castonguay

Roger and Heather Castonguay started Defining Studios in 2007 after graduating from the University of Hartford's, Hartford Art School. They were married in 2012 and had twin girls in 2013!! They've always worked together and absolutely love shooting weddings!!