NYC DJ in KC

DJ Sean Elwood spent the past 15 years as a professional DJ in NYC and is now serving the greater Kansas City area. Sean works closely with every couple to craft their perfect playlist. Please contact Sean for more references and reviews.

Country, Disco, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Indian, Latin

Fe7719fa d8df 43f7 b18c 942ee8fef3e2~rs 100
D692bc15 0755 426d 96a9 fb6ea89c4786~rs 100

Kansas City, MO

Reviewed on 6/01/2016 Kenzie M

DJ Elwood is the best, hands down!! He took the time to get to know us and our taste in music. He was very thorough and organized, yet so easy going and fun. We told him we wanted our guests on the dance floor letting loose - Sean didn't disappoint!! He kept everyone dancing... Read More and the party going. We continue to get compliments on our DJ and the music selection. Out of all our wedding vendors, Sean was by far our favorite to work with.

Reviewed on 6/01/2016 Tyler R

DJ Elwood was incredible! I have been in several weddings and have attended more than I can count. It drives me nuts when a DJ is over the top cheesy and tries to steal the show. DJ Elwood was the perfect amount of visible. He made sure the reception stayed on track and once... Read More the scheduled events were done he kept the party going. I do not remember a time where the dance floor was empty. People of all ages were out dancing. He did such a great job reading the crowd and playing the right music to keep everyone dancing! We only met with him twice in person and from those short meetings he was able to gather info on the type of music we like and how we wanted the reception to go. I sincerely would recommend him to anyone looking for a DJ. He was professional, experienced, and fun. I do not have a single complaint or any negative feedback to give. I couldn't have imagined our reception going any better and it was because of DJ Elwood's skills!

Amazing DJ!

Reviewed on 9/15/2013 Ancy M

Due to unfortunate circumstances, our originally planned DJ could not make it. Last minute scrambling led us to DJ Sean Elwood and we could not have been happier. During our first meeting that we felt very comfortable right away. He was very professional from the start and had... Read More his information form pulled up on his Macbook and gathered all the necessary information. Sean was readily available from the time we met and was always quick to return emails, texts, and phone calls. We met again 1 week prior to the wedding to give him certain songs we wanted played and true to his word he played everything we wanted. Our reception was at the Kaufmann Performing Arts Center downtown and Sean was great there. We had some Indian cultural parts to the reception and Sean adapted very well to them. Everyone had an awesome time and the dance floor was always full of people having a blast. Could not have had a better DJ. Thank you Sean Elwood!

Reviewed on 6/14/2017 Katie K

DJ Elwood knows how to bring everyone to the dance floor. Sean was absolutely perfect for our wedding ceremony and reception. He had every song that I wanted for our non traditional wedding and executed it perfectly. Our reception was amazing and a lot of it was thanks to... Read More Sean. I don't recall a part of the night when the dace floor wasn't full of people dancing their butts off. He knows how to please a crowd and makes sure everyone has fun. Not only is he a talented DJ, he was super easy to work with and catered to all my requests. If you want a bumping dance floor for your wedding, then definitely get DJ Elwood for your big day!

Reviewed on 6/02/2017 Anna I

Excellent job! DJ Elwood was very easy to work with and professional. Since the wedding, I have not stopped receiving compliments on how great the DJ was. The music selection was perfect and changed as needed throughout the evening. People were dancing and having a great time!... Read More I highly recommend DJ Elwood. You will not regret it!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Currie K

DJ Elwood did an awesome time and everyone had a blast!!! He was so easy to work with and really took the time to understand what we wanted! We would use him again if we ever needed a DJ!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Kelly S

Read this before you hire DJ Elwood! - Sean was a complete pro from start to finish in our wedding process. We are big believers that the DJ can "make or break" the big day and he definitely made ours happen. From our first meeting he was so accommodating and wanting to know... Read More what it was that we wanted and needed from him. He sent us a starter playlist based upon the feedback we gave him and added items we requested. The night of our event he nailed the delicate balance of helping to orchestrate events (even a couple surprises) and keeping the party going. The only downside we had in hiring Sean was that the party had to end at some point and when it did the entire dance floor was still packed. Check this item off your list and get him reserved for you event.

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Jenny L

DJ Elwood far surpassed our expectations and was an awesome addition to our wedding day. From the beginning to the end he was professional and responsive. DJ Elwood made sure to run through the names of our wedding party with me before to make sure he got everyone's name right.... Read More During the reception he helped to keep us on track and offered suggestions to help the night go smoothly. After the dance floor opened his music choices kept people out there until the very end. My husband and I were pretty hands off with the music and just asked DJ Elwood to handle the selections and I'm so glad we did because he definitely knows what he is doing. Hiring DJ Elwood was one of the best decisions we made. Thanks, Sean! You helped make our day great!

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Justin M

Honestly if we could give DJ Elwood 6 stars we would. Almost everyone at the wedding (and weeks after) commented on the how great the music was at the wedding. Once the speeches were over the and music started it literally didn't stop until they we had to kick everyone... Read More out. People commented to us that they'd never seen a dance floor fill up so fast and basically stay full all night long. We had a pretty diverse group of guests so that says a lot. We really wanted someone that could get a feel for our music tastes and trust to make it work and Sean couldn't have done a better job. He was very easy to work with, and very professional. Well worth the money and wouldn't hesitate to have him DJ another event.

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Jason S

Sean did a great job listening to us and understanding exactly what we wanted to hear and what we wanted the vibe of our wedding to be. My wife had a couple specific requests for the processional and recessional feel and he nailed it. We had a multi-course meal and some dancing... Read More in between and he kept it all moving very nicely!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Bridget R

My husband and I really loved Sean. When we met him, we instantly felt he was a good fit for us. He clearly understands how to meet the needs of a wide variety of clients, and assured us he could create the perfect playlist. He was very thorough in our first meeting getting to... Read More know as much as he could about our musical taste as well as getting a feel for what our guests might like. He took very detailed notes, especially considering we had not even decided to book him at this point. We didn't feel a need to interview anyone else and decided to book him a few days later. From there, he offered us a very large general playlist, which we were able to go through and select what songs we loved, hated, didn't care about, etc. We were also able to add additional music or write additional notes for him. I was not sure what to expect from him on the day of, but he was fantastic. Almost ninja like in a way with his professional approach and calm demeanor, yet he was exactly where he needed to be when he needed to be there and made sure to find us at exactly the right moments to get confirmation from us regarding toasts, first dance songs, etc. He also made sure during the reception that we did not change our minds about anything in the last moment. For example, we cut out a mother/son dance and a bouquet toss and even though he knew this, he was still nice enough to check with us and make sure we didn't decide we wanted those things after all in the final moments. I have to reintegrate his professionalism. We did not want an in your face super loud, get the party pumpin' DJ. He was energetic when he needed to be and when it counted, but when it came to how he treated guests and how he approached us for questions, he was extremely professional and really easy-going. It was a great relief to have someone with his demeanor helping us on that night. Also, most importantly, people loved his music selections. I will be honest, when it came down to it, the whole day was a blur and I don't remember more than 5 songs that were played, because we were so distracted with everything else, but we had guest after guest compliment us on the music, which was more confirmation for us that we made a great decision in choosing Sean. Our guests consisted mainly of an older crown, so we mixed in a lot of our style which is pretty Alternative with some classic Oldies and then a mix of some Pop, Country, Jazz and Blues to have something for everyone and people thought it was absolutely great. I think the only 4 people who were less than impressed were my brother-in-law's step kids and boyfriend, ages 16-21 who were probably hoping for a steady list straight from a teen beats meets pop country CD (no offense to them). I also don't think they're very schooled on music in general, because the Oldies we were playing were badass, so too bad for them for having typical teen attitudes, but you can't win em' all I guess. I encourage you to give Sean a chance. At the very least, give him an interview. He is clearly passionate about music and gets to know his audience really well.

Reviewed on 8/29/2016 Taylor S

Sean was beyond amazing. Everything you want in a DJ: Detail oriented, professional, thorough, listened to exactly what we wanted, thought of all the things we forgot to cover, kept everyone dancing all night. All my guests raved about how great the music was. Thanks again,... Read More Sean!

Reviewed on 8/25/2016 Alyssa P

Sean is the best DJ in Kansas City! I left the DJ booking to my fiancé, who is a musician and artist. We still didn't have one until a few months out from the wedding, and I was getting concerned. But, I came home from work one day to a beaming smile: he was positive he found... Read More the right person to DJ our very unique wedding. I knew from our first Skype chat (we live out of town) that Sean was perfect. We actually have a lot in common with him, and we met up with him when he DJ'd a set in Chicago about a month out from our wedding. Leading up to the wedding, I was so grateful that he was unfazed by our scatterbrains. (Sorry about that, Sean!) And, the music was perfect the day of the wedding. He made our blend of cultures/music styles come together into a cohesive mix that made sense. If you have the chance to book DJ Elwood, don't hesitate! He was fantastic and a pleasure to work with!

Reviewed on 12/22/2015 Rachel F

From the first phone call with Sean I felt very comfortable with him, which is uncommon on initial contact via phone with a complete stranger. After chatting with him I could definitely tell he knew his trade and is passionate about it. My wife and I booked him well in... Read More advance. In between that year and change Sean would check in with us every few months to make sure we are working on a playlist and all that fun stuff. Sean was able to see our playlist via Spotify so we could share all the songs we had in mind for him to browse through and get an idea of genres we favored. When the big day came he was punctual, well dressed, and very professional whilst keeping the fun atmosphere going. Anything you need from him on your big day he will certainly do his best. For instance, if your mother/son song (picked by your mom) was a five minute song.....he would make it a tad shorter to keep things flowing :)!! We let him do his thing all night and loved every song that he played. It's the small details that go far with us and he nailed it!! He kept the floor moving all night until the quick and unfortunate ending of the reception. This wedding wouldn't have been as fun without the man!! Do yourself a favor and book this guy if he is available.

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Leanna M

We used DJ Elwood for our wedding DJ and could not have been happier with the outcome! Sean was incredibly easy to work with and beyond flexible with our requests. The music selection had people dancing all night long and the party never appeared to stop. Above all else, his... Read More demeanor, professionalism, and ability to spin turned our reception into an unforgettable evening! I would recommend him to anyone that I know without question! Thanks Sean!

Reviewed on 11/14/2015 Bobbi B

DJ Elwood was AWESOME! He played a great mix of music and kept the dance party going. There wasn't ever a dull moment or break in dancing during our 6.5 hour reception. He played any music that we requested, and he did a great job at reading the crowd and knew how to keep the... Read More party going. We had over 300 guests at our reception, and I think everyone there was on the dance floor, and still today are raving about our reception. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Sean was great to work with, nice, and laid back. I'm so glad we found him and used him for our wedding reception. I would HIGHLY recommend him for any event you are looking to have and want the dance party to ROCK.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

Sean did an incredible job for our wedding. The entire party was on the dance floor all night, and he was super easy to work with. I highly recommend working with him.

Reviewed on 10/25/2015

Sean did an amazing job on so many levels. He did a fantastic job of filtering our song requests and feedback on his base song list (not to be downplayed, about 500 songs) to make the atmosphere of the ceremony & reception what we wanted. A few specifics: - We wanted the... Read More post-dinner reception to be lively, fun, and lots of dancing. Sean kept the dance floor going until it was time to shut down the venue. It was so much fun we wished we could have had a few more hours of only dancing. Based on the song list he asked us to review (& provide feedback on in terms of do not play, must play, etc.) I'm confident he could do this for any couple's music preferences. - We'd gone to weddings where you couldn't hear 90% of the ceremony and were concerned about acoustics. Sean made sure everything was set up properly for the somewhat challenging space and everyone could hear the ceremony, even at the back. This was even after a venue change the day of the wedding. - Sean did a great job cuing & managing the typical reception events of announcing the couple, dances, etc. He worked with our coordinator to make sure everything flowed seamlessly. - Two weeks or so before the wedding, we had a call to walk through the timeline of the day, including our specific song selections for each part of the ceremony, reception, dances, etc. I'm sure that at our first meeting he told us this would happen, but I had forgotten, and it was a huge relief to go through and know the music was set and someone else was handling it minute by minute. - Sean did a great job of interpreting our tastes and providing appropriate background music for the time before the ceremony as guests are arriving, the cocktail hour, dinner, etc. I'm very appreciative of this because he had asked for feedback on music for these times and it was one of those things that fell through the cracks on planning. We asked to him to play what he thought was best based on our other song selections, and we are happy we simply left it to him. - His demeanor and attitude made him incredibly easy to work with and had a calming effect in a stressful time. He was always quickly accessible by email for comments or suggestions (our preferred method given busy work schedules). - We learned a few days before the wedding that the best man would not be able to make it to the wedding due to illness. Sean executed everything necessary for the recorded speech to be played seamlessly at the reception between the maid of honor & father of the bride's speeches. - Lastly, because weddings can be so expensive, I feel the need to note that in terms of cost, DJ Elwood's wedding pricing is a hell of a deal for the quality of service provided. I hope it is obvious by now that we highly, highly recommend DJ Elwood for a wedding. A friend who attended our wedding has already booked him for hers based on her experience at our wedding & our personal review of working with him. Thanks, Sean!

Professional and Attentive DJ

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Linnea J

We worked with DJ Elwood for our reception and ceremony he was truly delightful to work with. From our very first meeting he was prepared and asked all the right questions. We met again a week prior to the wedding to finalize details for the ceremony and reception and again... Read More were truly impressed by his professional approach to working with us. DJ Elwood arrived early and helped our officiant get mic'd up, provided a microphone for our reader, as well as set up for the reception. He was very receptive to our list of suggested music but made some great selections we hadn't thought of based on the list we provided. He was flexible throughout the evening as our timing for certain activities changed and was a very calming presence throughout the reception. Our reception was more formal and his style (emcee approach, music selections) matched exactly what we were going for. Overall we have absolutely no reservations about recommending DJ Elwood and we'd absolutely use him again for other events.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Jennifer N

From the very beginning Sean (DJ Elwood) made us feel confident that we would have a great time dancing to great music at our reception. Sean definitely delivered and we couldn't have been happier! Sometime it is the little things that matter the most and Sean made sure we... Read More didn't have to worry about any details, he took care of all of the logistics and worked with the venue to make sure everything went off without a hitch. A big thank you to Sean and I certainly recommend him to anyone looking for a DJ!!

Reviewed on 10/16/2015

Sean was hands down one of the best parts of our wedding! We gave him some guidance on both some specific songs but also larger genre for ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception and he hit it out of the park! We had so many compliments from guests on the music - and the dance... Read More floor was filled all night with guests, both young and old(er). He was also super responsive to any questions and very easy to work with. We can't recommend him enough!

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Devon M

The BEST! Sean attended venue meetings with me as well as stayed in contact with us through email and phone throughout the whole process. He made our reception - hands down. He played everything we wanted and threw in some great surprises. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Reviewed on 10/07/2015 Erin G

I can't say enough about DJ Elwood. He took the time to meet with us and get to know us better and our music preferences. Sean was always quick to respond to our emails and questions. 5 months later, we still have people telling us how great they thought our DJ was. He kept... Read More the crowd dancing and the party going and his timing of songs was perfect. You can't go wrong by hiring DJ Sean Elwood!

Reviewed on 10/05/2015

DJ Elwood was fantastic to work with during our wedding planning. He met with us, made suggestions, took our suggestions, and incorporated it all into a great ensemble of music for our wedding. Thanks for everything!

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Jenn R

Sean is such a nice guy! He was highly recommended by a friend who is a wedding planner and he did not disappoint. He provided an extensive list of songs for us to "vote" on and tailored our playlist based on our tastes. We pretty much left it all up to him since he's the expert... Read More and the dance party didn't stop until it was time to close down :)