The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Don Strange Ranch–with its vast meadow dotted with bushy trees, picturesque mountain log fences, hand-carved signage and radiant flags flapping in the wind–showcases the beauty of a southerly wedding. Located in the scenic Texas Hill Country, about 30 miles away from the San Antonio International Airport, the Don Strange Ranch is an ideal venue for couples who love the countryside and want to experience Southern hospitality.

With a large field capable of seating thousands of guests and a rustic indoor location, the ranch offers two venue options that can be transformed into gorgeous wedding and reception settings.

Don Strange Ranch. The Don Strange Ranch serves as the main wedding and ceremony site. The ranch is a scenic yet blank canvas easily transformed into any scene that the couple desires. A large outdoor site seats about 600 guests. The vast space easily handles more than a thousand people for a standing cocktail reception. By the side of the barn and the pavilion is a small area that serves as a prep area for the kitchen, buffet, catering service or makeshift bar. For indoor ceremonies, the barn’s exposed wooden beams and mountain-log supports make a spectacular setting even with minimal decor and lighting. A door leads to the pavilion where a banquet or a cocktail-style reception follows the ceremony.

Kendall Creek. With floor-to-ceiling wooden doors, vaulted ceilings, tall log-roof supports and smooth, stained-concrete flooring, the Kendall Creek effortlessly blends the rustic country style with subtle elegance. A stone wood-burning fireplace serves as the focal point of the site. Opening the wooden doors lets in the natural daylight, while pulling them closed creates an intimate ambiance for nighttime weddings. In warm weather, the field outside of Kendall Creek accommodates over 2,000 guests for standing cocktail-style receptions and 450 for seated banquets, while its indoor room easily seats 350 people.

The staff at Don Strange Ranch work with the couple in planning the details of the event. The site requires to-be-weds to use its catering service, but is flexible when it comes to other vendors and decorations. The ranch provides sample wedding menus and lists of appetizers, desserts and action stations (interactive meal stations)–each customizable according to the preference of the couple. Other services are also available for rent, including specialty linens, tents, a photo booth, tables and chairs and linen napkins. The staff of the ranch offer creative designs and presentations, as well as lights, flowers, linens and curtains that go fabulously with a country wedding theme.

The ranch provides a list of vendors for lighting, audio visual equipment, DJs, florists a harpist and pianist. Couples from outside of San Antonio or Boerne may need to travel into town for the sample food-tasting.

Because the venue and most indoor spaces don't have climate-control equipment, it may be closed during specific seasons. For inclement weather, the site has tent rentals and can easily transfer an outdoor ceremony to the barn. Rehearsals before the wedding are accommodated.

The Don Strange Ranch is a fully functioning ranch and offers a few options to entertain and make their guests feel special. Some of the noteworthy activities and perks of booking the ranch are the following:

• Fireworks
  • Texas rodeo
  • Karaoke
  • Hayride

Don Strange Ranch

The historical Don Strange Ranch is located in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. It is a real working longhorn ranch that is only a short 45 minutes from downtown San Antonio. A perfect venue for you to make your own!

Ballroom, Farm + Ranch, Historic Venue

103 Waring Welfare Rd., Boerne, TX (210) 434-2331

GREAT place to get married!

Reviewed on 11/04/2013 Sarah S

This is a great place if you are looking for a Hill Country ranch wedding. The Kendall Creek venue is a big beautiful barn that is perfect for an indoor reception. There is a great pavilion outside the barn for a ceremony as well. Do keep weather in mind, as the barn can get hot... Read More in the warmer months.

Great Event & Great To Work With

Reviewed on 10/27/2012 Alex I

It was great to have the venue, catering & ceremony under one roof and to have 1 point of contact. If you are looking for a ranch wedding, this is a great place.

Don Strange Ranch Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/16/2012 Jennifer S

We found Don Strange Ranch out of luck and knew it was the perfect setting for our wedding. We also had them do the catering which was also fantastic. Lorissa was able to work with us within our budget and advise us on the things that we could cut with little impact. They were... Read More very accomodating making minor changes we requested. It poured down rain for days before and the day of the wedding, but the rain cleared shortly before the ceremony and it was stunning! They set up all of the tables and chairs and linens plus buffet for us with their traditional lanterns on each table. Esther was kind enough to pack us a basket that somehow got to the get away vehicle with plates of food and wine for us that night. We didn't get to eat much while we were there because we constantly had people talking to us and by the time we reached our hotel that night we were exhausted and hungry so it was a godsend. She even packed us a piece of cake which was great since the only bite I got was the one that my husband shoved in my face a few hours earlier. I would recommend their facility to anyone that is looking for a rustic type wedding. The lights and chandaliers were perfect, you really cannot appreciate how pretty it is if you don't see them at night. The space is large and roomy, easily accomodating our guests, the bar, food, gifts, cakes, dj and photo booth rental. If you can afford to upgrade to the main ranch - it is totally worth the difference in price versus using the Kendall Creek venue they have. It's also beautiful, but there are alot of extras (there's a house across from it that you can use to get ready in) that made our day so much easier by using the main ranch. And the guests didn't have to walk through the rain to get from the ceremony site to the reception site. Two weeks later I'm still getting remarks on how great the food was and how beautiful the place was. I can't wait to see the final photos! The only thing I would say for those of you on a budget - don't have the ranch buy the beer, it's literally $100 more a case than what you would pay at Costco. The wine is much more reasonably priced so we saved money by providing a bottle of wine on each table and a cash bar. (You can also save some money by booking the venue during the non peak season.) Total for catering was just under $5K which included the bar and wine. Venue varies from $750 to approximately $2500 but includes all of your tables, chairs, some linens, and set up, longhorn feeding (which all the kids and adults loved).

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Victoria F

Don Strange was my first pick for venue for my wedding, and my first priority, even before the date was picked. We used both Kendall Creek and Headquarters, the first for ceremony and the latter for reception. I cannot say enough about how beautiful these sites are. We didn't... Read More need any extra decor, with the exception of table centerpieces; the site is just perfect and lovely all on its own. Shawn was so helpful and offered so many wonderful ideas in preparation of our special day. She was very accommodating, always responding quickly to any questions I had, and allowing us to shoot bridals on site prior to the wedding. Having in-house catering was such a relief (and it was so delicious), and Aurora, our on-site attendant, was such a pleasure; she even sent food and wine home with us as we departed as newlyweds. Fair warning: We had a summer wedding, and it was hot as a June day could be, so despite pushing the ceremony to 6:30 pm, the heat persisted all night long. That's just the luck of the draw in Texas though, especially when getting married in a barn. Overall Don strange of Texas this was a dream come true. Thanks for an amazing wedding!

Rustic and Beautiful!

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 Heather B

Don Strange Ranch is exactly the place to have a rustic yet elegant wedding! From the first time my parents and I went out there we knew that was the place! Their staff is so professional and helpful, which makes it really easy to line up the additional vendors. What I found to... Read More be so beneficial was that the ranch provides the tables, chairs, and linens for you so you don't have to worry about picking those things out from another vendor to deliver, if you aren't needing or set on having on a particular color or style. And of course their food is to die for!! I so so wish I would have made a second plate to take home with me because being the bride and groom we had to eat in a matter of seconds so that we could go mix and mingle but that was a meal I will not forget! I got married outside in the yard by the creek and then had our reception at the headquarters, or large pavilion. The yard was so well manicured and maintained as well as all of the facilities that we had available to our guests. The night was one I certainly will never forget, but it's also so wonderful to hear your guests weeks later still commenting about how much they enjoyed the night and the ranch!

Awesome Venue

Reviewed on 1/22/2015 Heather P

The headquarters at Don Strange Ranch was perfect for my wedding! The white lights and grapevines were beautiful along with the pot belly stoves that we used for heaters for our December Wedding. You can even use the guest house for your entire wedding party to get ready... Read More before!

Wedding!

Reviewed on 9/07/2014 Jasmine L

I was very happy with how the venue looked as well as the size! It was warm since it was in August, but we knew that would be the case. We had a lot of people travel from out of state and everyone loved it! We are still getting complements on the wedding! The staff was very... Read More helpful and made sure we were taken care of!

Perfect Hill Country Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 8/18/2012 Sylvia T

I got married at the Don Strange Ranch last fall - it was perfect! The staff was so helpful every step of the way. The venue was beautiful and we didn't have to worry about a thing. And the food.... it was fantastic! We could not have been happier with the way everything went,... Read More and we would highly recommend this venue to anyone who was considering using it! Here are more pictures: http://bophotography.squarespace.com/blog/2011/11/12/ryan-and-sylvia-i-do-boerne-tx.html

Dream wedding near San Antonio

Reviewed on 8/16/2012 laure t

Our daughter, son-in-law, family and all our guests thoroughly enjoyed the wedding at the Don Strange Ranch last October. The wedding with around 250 guests was held outdoors on the ranch grounds. However, if it had rained there would have been plenty of inside space in their... Read More rustic, inviting hall that was perfectly suited for our fun reception. The planners and caterers helped us in every way to have exactly the wedding that we were looking for. It was a beautiful, memorable day. Any couple wanting a real Texas country wedding with great Texas food in a natural, ranch setting----you will love working with folks at the Don Strange Ranch! And your guests will never forget it!

Beware!

Reviewed on 5/31/2012 Chelsea B

WARNING!! At first, we felt so lucky and blessed to find such a beautiful venue only 5 months before our wedding date! Well, there is a reason why the ranch wasn’t booked and I hope to spread the news to all who dare get swindled into using this facility or the catering... Read More company itself. When we did our walk through, we were promised the world. They have two locations on the ranch (Kendall Creek and DSR) and we were assured that they wouldn’t double book the other location as that would mean cars would be driving past our outdoor ceremony site during the ceremony itself. They also mentioned that the facility (as it was January) was out of season and therefor was overgrown with weeds and fallen branches. They said those things would be in prime condition by May. Once we signed the contract all hell broke loose. They now said that we would have to rent out both venues (more thousands of dollars) to keep them from double booking the sites. Lorissa, their wedding planner, was beyond rude to my parents, my in laws and myself. At one point she offered to send us to a different venue, as they may be more helpful… After our save the dates went out! When I would call for a scheduled conference call, she wouldn’t even remember which bride I was or what wedding we were referring to. She fought us on every tiny menu change and we didn’t even receive a final menu until two weeks before the wedding. We tried to contact Brian Strange who seemed to care less that even though we were paying them tens of thousands of dollars we were being treated with worse customer service than you would receive from a call center representative for your phone company. Not to mention that they would constantly throw new charges into our catering bill. They were planning on serving our 350 guests with 6 wait staff and when we asked to have water and a plated salad at the tables our bill went up by $5,000! Not to mention a VERY LARGE “service charge” that was tacked on the end. Two weeks before the wedding we were invited to come see the venue while it was being set for another wedding. They had weeds that were 2 feet tall directly in front of the house that the bride walks out of to start the processional. There were dead leaves and tree limbs on every slanted rooftop where photos were to be taken. It seemed like now that Don Strange had passed away his sons have no pride for what they have. We ended up giving them a detailed list of common sense wedding venue “to-dos”. And after they threw a fit, they eventually pulled the weeds, cut back branches, and cleaned the place up a bit. We had a custom made stone altar (similar to Jenna Bush’s) brought in which they also made a fit about getting it in no earlier than the day before and having it out by Sunday. Yet, we found out when we brought the machinery to move it that they had scheduled three brides’ walk throughs for earlier that day and were leading them to believe that our altar would be there for their weddings! I feel so sad for them!! They will swindle you out of every dollar after it is too late for you to make other arrangements and will knowingly mislead you along the way. Our wedding turned out beautifully, thanks to our wonderful vendors outside of DSR and thanks to the 5 months of anxiety my poor mother endured while working tirelessly. If you don’t want to experience the stress level of bad comedy movie while planning your wedding, I recommend finding another venue.

Best Location Ever!!!

Reviewed on 3/05/2012 Carla G

The people at Don Strange are amazing, they help us have our dream wedding within our budget and they always showed an outstanding customer service. Their food is amazing and the open bar is well worth it. My husband and I are already planning to host our 10th anniversary in... Read More Don Strange (although, if we could, we would celebrate it there every year). HIGHLY recommend this place!!!

Rehearsal Dinner Dream!

Reviewed on 11/13/2011 Kimberley B

Don Strange gave us the most beautiful rehearsal dinner....from the venue place to the staff...it was just a dream! Absolutely perfect!

Amazing Venue!

Reviewed on 10/11/2011 Amy W

We had an excellent experience working with the staff at Don Strange! Everything was outstanding from the venue itself to the amazing food! They helped create a magical evening that everyone loved!! Would absolutely reccomend the Ranch to ANYONE looking for a beautiful Hill... Read More Country Wedding!