Great Jazz Band for Weddings & Events!

We offer the very best New Orleans-style traditional jazz and well over 1400 standards. And if you give us a little notice, we'll play any song ever written that you'd like to hear. Whether you're looking for a full big band or a smaller trio, Dr. Jazz can customize the size of the band to fit your needs. Trying to find an organist for your ceremony, too? We have you covered. If you need help deciding what would work best, just contact us and we'll be glad to help you make the best decision for your big day or your event.

$ – Inexpensive

Instruments

Accordion, Cello, Guitar, Keyboard, Organ, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone, Trombone, Trumpet, Violin, Vocals

Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Jazz, Pop, Rock

After Party, Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

Live Music, MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

New Orleans & Beyond (504) 400-5246

Dr. Jazz Made the Night!!!

Reviewed on 11/18/2014 Kathleen d

What an absolutely amazing band!!! First, the quality of the music was incredible! We were blown away! Second, the thoughtfulness of the band! They asked for our colors beforehand so their pocket squares matched, they played my university fight song, wrote a song for us, and... Read More learned our first dance (which was a country song so not their usual style) and played it BEAUTIFULLY! They helped coordinate the movement of the event by smoothly transitioning between breaks, toasts, and music! Everyone at the wedding loved them and kept talking about how great the music was! I would recommend Dr. Jazz to anyone for any event! We are so happy they played our wedding!!!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Jazmin Y

We used Dr. Jazz for our cocktail hour and dinner hour and they were AMAZING! Everybody loved it! We had a destination wedding so we wanted to set the right NOLA atmosphere and they truly did accomplish that! :)

BEST SECOND LINE BAND EVER!

Reviewed on 2/19/2015 Liz S

Dr. Jazz played my ceremony music as well as my second line for my wedding. All I can say is wow! The ceremony was flawless and beautiful and my guests are still raving about how much fun they had during the second line. Dr. Jazz is very personable and responsive. The are very... Read More easy to work with as well. They even played a special song at the end for myself and the groom. Dr. Jazz is the nicest sweetest vendor you could ever work with. We loved them. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND hiring Dr. Jazz for your ceremony music and second line!

Reviewed on 5/25/2017 Kathryn C

We used Dr. Jazz and band for our Rehearsal Dinner. They were AMAZING and so much fun. We had the best time listening and dancing to them play throughout the evening. They added a nice touch (sound) to our New Orleans wedding weekend and everyone loved it. They are a genuinely... Read More nice group. We could not be happier and highly recommend them to all. Thank y'all for making it an extra special evening for us!!!

Reviewed on 5/22/2017 Daniel G

Dr. Jazz (aka Dr. Steele) was so easy to work with that we ended up not only hiring him to play jazz at our rehearsal dinner but also contracted through him for the ceremony music for our wedding. He was so professional and provided, what I feel, was the best value we got... Read More throughout the entire wedding. Don't be fooled because his prices are so affordable - he and his fellow musicians bring a passion and a great New Orleans experience. I would, and will, use him again for anything I need live music for. It was great working with him and he helped make our wedding weekend very special!

Reviewed on 1/01/2017 Darby Y

I booked Dr. Jazz and the New Orleans Sounds for my Second Line Parade at the recommendation of my wedding coordinator at Federal Ballroom. They were a pleasure to work with. Dr. Russell Steele, the band leader, was so sweet and even sent my husband and I a CD of their music... Read More as a wedding gift after I emailed him to ask about performing for our Second Line. They were a hit on our wedding day and our guests LOVED our Second Line. Dr. Steele even gave me advice on how to do my permits since I am from San Diego and this was my first Second Line. Thank you so much Dr. Jazz for being a truly memorable part of our Wedding Day!

Reviewed on 7/02/2016 Chelsie L

We used Dr. Jazz for our ceremony music and our 2nd line band for our wedding on December 20, 2015. I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful they were! I told them what I wanted and they made it happen. They were so nice to all of our guests. We still have family and... Read More friends that rant and rave about how fun our second line was. We live in Houston and Dr. Steele made it so easy to coordinate everything. He is so reasonable and so gracious. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't even think twice about having them there leading the way for us. I highly recommend Dr. Jazz and Co.!!

Reviewed on 6/26/2016 Meredith

From start to finish, Dr. Jazz and the band was amazing! Our New Orleans wedding was awesome and the music made our event so special! From ceremony, to reception, to our Second Line, it was perfect. Dr. Jazz is flexible, professional and would be great for any event!

Good New Orleans Band

Reviewed on 5/08/2015 Rachel K

We used Dr. Jazz for our wedding in April. They played lots of new Orleans style music for a reasonable price. They even did a second line with us and the hora! Those were definitely highlights of the wedding. I must say, though, our first dance was way too fast and didn't have... Read More any lyrics (a big reason we chose that song). I sent Dr. Jazz a youtube link to the song we wanted, but I am not sure that he looked at it. I recommend asking for a recording or something of the song for your first dance. Their sound system was also pretty weak. Instruments were ok, but voice was not. When they were announcing us as a couple for the first time, no one could hear it. One of my favorite moments with this band is that they came out to us on the floor and serenaded us. Overall, we had a great time with Dr. Jazz.

BOOK 'EM!

Reviewed on 5/28/2014 Greer B

Russell and the rest of the band are so wonderful. They are a lot of fun and even more helpful. Russell worked with us throughout the whole process, even connected us with Eddie who can help arrange our second line permits. Russell sent us a CD and a number of song lists and... Read More helped us make great selection for our ceremony and our second line. They are very professional and wear tuxedos and really get the guests having a great time and enjoying the party. They even joined us upstairs for an additional song! Great price, great service, great music. Highly recommended!

Wonderful!

Reviewed on 5/19/2013 Kelsey D

Dr. Jazz and The New Orleans Sounds were absolutely fabulous! Our guests are still raving about how great they were, and how perfect their music was for our wedding. They were a pleasure to work with. They had suggestions for our song list when we weren't sure, and were very... Read More accommodating with our requests when we had a special song in mind. This review doesn't do the band justice- they were amazing! I can't recommend them highly enough.

Great Sound, not so great style

Reviewed on 5/02/2013 Sara W

Dr. Jazz and the New Orleans Dixieland Sounds played while our guests arrived, during our ceremony, our 2nd line, and then our dinner music and first dances. Our budget only allowed us to have a trio, and they sounded fantastic. Dr. Russell Steele was the leader and he worked... Read More with me to make sure the songs were what I wanted and the order in which they would go. He was great on the phone and sounded like he knew exactly what to do and when to do it. However, the day of didn't go according to plan. Their sounds WAS great... but their people skills, their vocals, and their ability to adjust was not great; at all. Due to my photographer taking too much time we had to shift the timeline of our reception. The event coordinator knew exactly what I wanted to switch around and she conveyed that to the trio-but they didn't comply. They did pretty much what they wanted to do and did not listen to the coordinator OR ME! It was as if they thought they knew what was best and since they had the attention of the crowd, what they did and said was what happened because I didn't want to make a fuss in front of my guests. Did my guests know that they made things go out of order, no... But I did. My guests were supposed to be able to start eating food as soon as the bridal party was announced. Instead, only my husband and I were announced, and then they went straight into the dances- and then opened up the dance floor after the bridal party dance without announcing that food was ready to be served. Even after the coordinator and myself told them what was supposed to happen. They ignored it. They also sang the lyrics to our first dance, and they are NO Paul McCartney. Their instruments sound fantastic, but I did not care for the vocals and all I can remember from our first dance is my husband and I looking at each other and thinking, why did we pick them and not use an ipod. I think that if you have a wedding planner and everything is planned out to a "T" and you are not going to vary from the design, then I bet they are great. BUT, life happens and they were not able to adapt to the changes. If I wasn't the type of person that goes with the flow, I could see the way they handled the changes to be VERY disruptive to a bride who is more of a type A personality. They were also rude to our event planner that was doing everything she could to make sure things went as close to what I wanted as possible and when it was time for them to go but to leave us their speakers for our ipod for the dancing portion of our reception, they didn't even show us how to work their equipment. Good thing our best man is a DJ and we have another friend that is in a band and knew what to do, otherwise our music would have been too soft to hear over a normal conversation. Overall they are talented musicians, but if I could do it again, I would not have hired them for the most important day of my life.

So fun!

Reviewed on 4/30/2013 Sarah H

I used these guys for my second line and my guests are still talking about how much fun they were! They did such a great job and were super great to work with!

A charming band!

Reviewed on 4/21/2013 Sarah R

Dr. Jazz provided both my ceremony music and was the band for my wedding. Very talented, fun musicians! I had a few special requests, and they were happy to accommodate us. My guests loved them. The ceremony music was perfect! A lot of talent for the cost.

Perfect band for your wedding

Reviewed on 4/14/2013 Sarah M

Dr. Jazz (Russell) was a pleasure to work with from the moment we first contacted him through the day of our wedding. He was quick to respond to emails and always able to accommodate my changes and requests. He is extremely friendly and helpful. The band truly has a passion for... Read More music and it shows. On our wedding day they were a great! They got the guests up and dancing, played all the songs we had requested. They even wrote a song for us! To top off the day they lead our second line parade through the French Quarter, down Bourbon Street and marched right into Pat O'Briens courtyard. It was the perfect ending to an incredible day. After our wedding Russell sent me a note thanking for allowing them to be a part of our wedding. It was a great personal touch, one that I truly appreciate it. It was a blast having them as part of our wedding day and I would definitely recommend them to any bride.

bride

Reviewed on 9/23/2012 Heidi L

Very, Very, Very pleased with the music selection. I loved having live music. The jazz music was great to dance to and also to just mingle to. The music made the atmosphere light and happy. They were great to work with and gave great suggestions for music. They also provided my... Read More ceremony musicians. So the one stop shopping was very beneficial for me. It made my life easier during the planning process and I truly could not be happier.

Excellent

Reviewed on 6/01/2012 Ellen B

Dr. Jazz played at our ceremony, for our Second Line and at our reception. The music was great and they have an extensive playlist to choose from.

Amazing

Reviewed on 1/31/2012 christian n

We had a trio from Dr. Jazz play at our wedding in the Roosevelt Hotel right before Christmas. Dr.Steele was so cooperative and always prompt in his replies to questions or requests during the weeks leading up to the event. The music they played for the ceremony & reception were... Read More perfect and exactly what we wanted for our New Orleans Christmas wedding. We even had them throw in a little Christmas music along with the jazz selections we'd asked for. They had many little personal touches to their performance through the night. Still listening to our complimentary CD!

best idea we had

Reviewed on 11/29/2011 Laura V

I wanted a DJ for the wedding, my husband wanted a band. He had so little input for the wedding, so I let him have this one, and I'm so glad I did. It made our wedding so special. All our guests loved the live music, and the second line was a blast! Dr. Jazz was very... Read More friendly, organized, and helpful in arranging the second line as well. I would recommend him to any bride!

Wonderful!

Reviewed on 8/09/2011 Heather R

They can play pretty much any song! They did a fantastic job and played all the songs I asked for. They also did a second line for us from our cocktail hour into the ballroom for our first dance. This worked out great and we were really pleased with the music. They were so... Read More nice and really easy to work with by email and even sent me a CD of their music in the mail before I booked them. Highly recommend!

Awesome!

Reviewed on 6/20/2011 Lauren B

My fiance and I had an 80ish person wedding and wanted to give our friends a real New Orleans experience, given that I am originally from New Orleans. We did their full version, and they were superb. They even did a mini second line for us. Great and easy to work with.

Wonderful

Reviewed on 11/09/2010 TRACY G

I can't say enough about Dr Steele. He was very professional. The band played beautifully during the ceremony and then rocked the second line! They had everyone dancing. What a great time.

Meet The Manager