Reception, Wedding

Bow2008 09

11246 Moranda Ct, San Diego, CA (858) 775-3364

The BEST DJ and Coordinator in San Diego, Look No Further

Reviewed on 5/21/2014

Both Mick and Julie (Mick's wife, also a coordinator :) and I feel that she is worth mentioning here, since they worked so great together) truly earned and deserve top marks, for building and executing such an outstanding framework for our wedding reception. My wife and I... Read More had our Wedding in Downtown San Diego - with a ceremony at a church off site, and our reception at the El Cortez Don Room. We recognized a chemistry immediately with Mick (and Julie) during our initial meeting, as he provided an outline of the songs we should be considering, and overall flow of the event for our big day. Following that meeting, we provided our proposed set list a few weeks prior to the event and met with him to review. Mick was respectfully honest about certain song selections and provided feedback on which would more so cater to a fun environment for our guests - while still playing the songs we genuinely wanted. As a side note - often overlooked, Mick did a masterful job ensuring the sound quality was superb for the duration of the evening. The hexagonal shape of the dining room would seemingly create a challenge for acoustics, but the sound quality was perfect throughout the night for both cocktail, dinner and dancing. Ultimately, we would highly recommend Mick (and Julie) for their professionalism, preparation, experience, and ability to read the crowd effectively. Like so many reviewers before, a ton of our guests have told us that ours was one of the best weddings they had ever been to, and the DJ/overall flow deserved a lot of credit for the experience. We can't say enough good things about them, we could not have envisioned our wedding going any better, and Mick and Julie deserve a lot of praise! Stellar job, Mick and Julie!!!

Mick Scrivener is awesome!

Reviewed on 4/21/2014 Christine M

We were referred to Mick by friends who hired him for their own wedding a few years ago. Upon meeting him, we knew we would hire Mick immediately. He is professional, helpful, creative, and humorous. Additionally, his pricing is extremely competitive. We highly recommend the... Read More packages combining his services with his wife, Julie's services at The Best Wedding For You. They are an efficient team that kept our big day running smoothly throughout. Mick helped us to plan the music for our wedding ceremony and reception. He offered song, timing, and floor plans suggestions that proved extremely helpful. He arrived to our venue in a timely manner, dressed professionally, and worked seamlessly with our other vendors and flexible timeline. He played a terrific variety of music-- every guest made it out to the dance floor at least once! While not every guest is a "dancer," he kept a solid group out there all night. He was responsive to requests and even initiated a dance off between guests! We could go on and on about Mick. Bottom line: HIRE HIM!

A party that surpassed our expectations

Reviewed on 4/18/2014 Nicole H

Our reception definitely surpassed anything that I or my husband expected, and Mick really helped to make that happen. The dance floor was packed all night, and he made all the transitions and schedule seamless and easy. He has some creative ideas to make the night different,... Read More and as someone who has been to dozens of weddings- that really counted alot for me. He was a pleasure to work with during the planning process too, and we loved the blog post that he put up the next day- it is nice to have the list of songs played that night for the memories. The DJ was the one thing that we spent a decent amount of time researching, and we are so happy we went with Mick. He is well deserving of all of the awards he has gotten and helped to create an amazing and memorable night for us. Thank you Mick!!!

Reviewed on 4/08/2017 Andrea M

Mick is AMAZING! I was referred to him by a family friend who had him at their wedding. I actually had both Mick and his wife Julie (she is a wedding planner) for my wedding. Luckily I snatched them up before they got booked as i know they are in high demand. I have been to... Read More many weddings and Mick is honestly the best in his field. He knows what music will keep people dancing all night and that is what i wanted at my wedding. He went above and beyond to make the night memorable and fun. He also makes himself available for any changes up until the last minute. The night before the wedding I emailed him a song i wanted to make sure was played during dinner and he responded right away and made sure the song was played. The day after the wedding Mick sent me a video of our wedding reception with pictures him and Julie had taken and had our first dance song as the background music. He also sent a list of all the songs played at our wedding. That was such a special treat and something I did not expect. Mick is worth every penny and if you are able to book him for your wedding you are in for a treat!

Reviewed on 3/18/2017 Caitlin V

Mick did a great job at our wedding on 3-11-17. He was very organized and honest about the best music selections. He was easy to work with and easy to communicate with. He responded very quickly to emails and showed a great interest in our day. His music selection and equipment... Read More used was perfect for us and our guests! I highly recommend elite British DJ for your event! He even got my dad dancing the night away. He made this night so special and we will always remember it. Thank you.

Reviewed on 12/14/2016 Lauren K

Mick is so fun and easy to work with and an awesome DJ! We chose him becasue he was so good at our friends wedding and he was just as amazing for ours. My guests were saying that it was the best music they ever heard played at a wedding. He worked with our taste in music and... Read More what was getting everone out on the dance floor. He also took photos and made a slideshow of our wedding with our "last dance of the night" song as the music! Mick is honestly so good at what he does, you can tell he really loves doing it and wants to make your day perfect in any way he can! I would 100% work with him again and recommend him to everyone. I could easily say so many more great things, but basically book Mick as your DJ and you won't be disappointed! Thank you Mick for being so awesome :)

Reviewed on 11/25/2016 Kevin V

Mick went above and being to create a perfect wedding for us. His attention to detail, thought into every song, and help with lighting and the overall event flow, helped make this a wedding that our guests uniformly called the best they'd ever been to. He is timely,... Read More considerate, and knows music AND wedding dancing better than anybody you will ever meet. Thank you Mick!

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Meghan B

From the moment we met Mick he got us excited and pumped and had many great ideas on how to get our guests active and dancing all night long. Come the wedding day everything went perfect from the cocktail hour music to the music ending the night everyone told us how much they... Read More loved the music and were dancing all night long. Highly recommend Mick, and the bonus was the special video he sent us with highlights from our wedding right before our honeymoon.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Ashley F

Mick is a total professional which was the primary reason we decided to go with him, and we are so happy we did! We had been to a wedding with him a couple of years ago and had a great time, so he definitely came to mind when looking at all of our options. He has tremendous... Read More experience and even offered his input and advice in other areas of the planning and timing things throughout the evening. We had SO many compliments from our guests on the energy and music at our event. People absolutely loved our grand entrance and Mick was the mastermind behind how we kicked off the reception. It totally set the tone for a fun and lively reception. He offers his opinions based on his experience and what he has seen work or not work musically at events over the years and he is also very accommodating of your song preferences. For us, one of the most important aspects of hiring vendors was finding people that we knew we would not have to worry about or babysit. Because Mick is so organized and experienced, we knew that was one part of the wedding planning that was off our plates as soon as we hired him. He infused a wonderful energy into our event and we are happy to recommend him to anyone that is looking to throw a really fun party!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Zoe G

So my now husband and I learned about Mick through a friend referral. We had our initial meeting with him and knew on the spot that we wanted to hire him. He knew exactly what songs to play to make our guests dance and we completely relied on his song choices other than the... Read More important first dance, etc. Our wedding guests are still talking about how amazing he was as a DJ. He was fun, entertaining and our dance floor was full so we were happy. Not to mention that we had the most amazing time at our wedding and we wouldn't do anything differently. Absolutely recommend hiring Mick as your DJ, he is the best.

Reviewed on 9/25/2016 Morgan B

Mick is the man! We got more compliments on our DJ than anything else at our wedding, when he says he can read a crowd, he's not kidding. While we danced the night away and had a blast, I must say we were most impressed with how well Mick kept us updated throughout the... Read More reception as well as anyone giving speeches. He worked with our coordinators and caterers to keep dinner organized and worked with our videographers to provide them with hook-ups for their microphones to capture quality sound for their film. Mick has earned 5 stars for a reason, my suggestion is to allow him to read your crowd and not worry about the music. He's got it handled. You will be so glad you chose Elite British DJ for your wedding! Mick- we cannot thank you enough for your professionalism and for keeping our guests on the dance floor. All we wanted was a fun wedding with good food and a giant dance party, you certainly made that happen!

Reviewed on 9/10/2016 Natalie E

Mick was a huge hit. He had many great suggestions for how to make our event unique that our guests loved. Everyone danced all night long. Added bonus - his wife, Julie Scrivener (The Best Wedding for You) is a fantastic coordinator. Hire them both! They give you a great rate... Read More and work so well together. Our night went so smoothly and was more fun than we could have imagined. P.S. When he asks - say yes to the Shout Dance!

Reviewed on 9/04/2016 Mary E

Mick is simply the best! He reads his crowd and they respond with a full dance floor! He was a critical part of making my daughter's dream wedding come true . Everyone remarked to me about how fabulous our DJ was! My nephew hopes to hire him next fall! Awesome job Mick! Thank... Read More you! The Eastwood Clan

Reviewed on 8/18/2016

Hire This Guy! Mick and his wife Julie were a GREAT combo as they were our dj and coordinator. The night went off without a hitch. Mick played the songs we wanted, didn't go rogue, was really fun and MY GUESTS LOVED HIM! If I were to do it all over again, Mick and Julie are two... Read More hires I would certainly make again and again. Mick is a great guy, knows what the crowds like and brought some humor to the night. Book Mick before it's too late!

Reviewed on 7/19/2016 Fae D

I didn't realize the DJ at a wedding could make a significant difference, but hiring Mick as our DJ at our wedding last month was honestly one of the best decisions we made. He went above and beyond anything I could have expected from a DJ. He was so helpful choosing songs and... Read More making suggestions for the entire day. He also knows exactly what music to play (and not play) based off of your crowd, and has funny little twerks to throw into the reception to mix things up. He works with whatever style you're going for, and his online system is very user-friendly. He even e-mailed us (amazing) pictures he took of us at the wedding the very next morning. I loved him as our wedding DJ, but I also just want to hang out with him because he's an awesome and fun person. Seriously, book Mick. You'll be so happy you did.

Reviewed on 7/14/2016

I would recommend Elite British DJ to anyone, and everyone who needs a DJ! He was the absolute BEST, and I could not have asked for anything better at my wedding. Mick was more than a DJ, he hosted and kept the party flowing with his great sense of humor. He is exceptional at... Read More what he does and well worth the money. All of my friends and family who attended the wedding complimented Mick and the great music he played.

Reviewed on 6/28/2016 Elizabeth P

My husband and I hired Elite British DJ for just the reception portion of our wedding day. From the get go, it was clear that Mick knew exactly what did and didn't work at weddings, and what to play to ensure everyone had a good time. On the wedding day, Mick read the crowd and... Read More played songs that got everyone up and dancing, and had me cracking up with laughter during dinner. He took requests from the guests, but filtered out those he knew would kill the mood. My husband and I were having so much fun that we didn't want the party to stop! I keep hearing from my guests that it was one of the best weddings they've ever been to, and I know that is in large part due to Mick Scrivener of Elite British DJ.

Reviewed on 5/24/2016 Alison T

If you need a DJ, stop looking at yelp or the Knot for other reviews or other DJ’s and just call Elite British DJ. Mick surpassed all our expectations when he helped us plan the music for our wedding and then made the actual night fun and spectacular. Everything was perfectly... Read More timed, the music sounded great, the setup was well-organized, and everyone had a wonderful time dancing. The last thing you want at a wedding is an awkward DJ trying to coax people out onto the dance floor and his efforts falling flat. Mick has flair and a great way of interacting with the crowd, the bride and groom, and the wedding party to make the night so much fun. He works with an online form for you to fill on the music for each event at your wedding (processional song, first dance song, last song of the night etc), and then has a place for you to fill in some must play songs, would like to play songs, and do not play songs. Mick was very easy going about helping us choose songs. He would explain why certain songs would work well and certain songs were less successful, but ultimately we always felt that the decision was ours with no pushing from him. We gave him a lot of freedom with our music and he delivered an amazing playlist that we thoroughly enjoyed. We had so many people dancing through the night, and since it was a wedding with people aged from 12-82, we thought that was pretty impressive! He’s responsive, professional, actually British, and has a great sense of humor. He had a short vacation but was still available for any questions and always got back really quickly to us. He also had some really good ideas about unique things to try, or good timing for music that got us some great photos and a lot of excitement from our guests. We’ve heard a lot of people say that the DJ can make or break your wedding. If this is the case, then Mick made it for us. His work is truly excellent on all fronts. He also sent us a beautiful slide show of our wedding from photos he had taken during the night. It is set to one of our last dance songs and something we will treasure forever. It captures the feel of the night and so many special moments. We had no idea he would do this, it was just another wonderful part of working with him. On a related note, Mick’s wife is a professional wedding planner/coordinator and she is excellent as well. As individuals you should not hesitate to hire either one because they are superb at their jobs. Having them work as a team just takes your day from wonderful to beyond your dreams amazing and perfect.

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Darci M

We recently had Mick DJ our wedding. We were behind on many things leading up to our wedding and Mick made the experience working with him simple and easy. He let us make all our decisions, but did give us a great deal of welcomed advice from his experience from doing this so... Read More many, many times. Thankfully in each instance, his advice was really the way to go, keep the flow, add to the excitement of the entire day/night. He made some on the fly suggestions based on how the flow of the evening was going and they were spot on. He really played with how the crowd reacted to everything to make sure our guests had a great time. I was told by many people that this was the most fun they have ever had at a wedding. We thank Mick for that!

Reviewed on 5/15/2016 Trecia L

The Elite British DJ will make your wedding (or party)!!! He has the awards to prove it! My husband and I had a Comic-Con themed wedding last year. We met Mick (and his wife, Julie (The Best Wedding For You)) at a catering event on the military base. After meeting them, my... Read More husband remembered he was the DJ for his friend's wedding a few years ago. We explained that our wedding will be on Halloween and he was already excited. We met with him twice before the wedding to discuss music selection. Mick has an incredible site with music lists you can choose from as well as adding your own to your profile. On our last meeting with him before the wedding, he would point out what music would and would not work for the guests. He was so right!!! He kept everyone on the dance floor ALL night long! That night was also his 1,000 wedding! What a way to celebrate! He helped us with the ceremony and the reception music selection. He also suggested that after the bouquet-garter toss that he step in for the guy to slip on the garter blindfolded. The music was memorable for us and our guests! He even puts together a blog of our memorable day: http://www.sandiegoweddingdjblog.com/?p=5139 Book Elite British DJ (and The Best Wedding For You) to make your wedding day memorable. (People are still talking about our wedding!)

Reviewed on 5/08/2016 Mara C

Mick is HANDS DOWN the best DJ! From wedding suggestions to the songs to keeping the party going and the dance floor packed, Mick was amazing! Our wedding wouldn't have been what it was without him!! Our guests loved every minute of the music and gave so many compliments to the... Read More DJ! He's genius!! :)

Reviewed on 5/02/2016 Jaime H

WOW. Just wow. If you are looking for a wedding DJ, your search should end here. Mick made our wedding day spectacular and seamless. He ran the timeline perfectly and allowed us to sit back and enjoy the time with our family and friends. Everyone raved about him and the music,... Read More and everyone had a fantastic time! I am so happy that we went with all of his unique suggestions, especially playing Shout! right after the first dance. That was my favorite moment of the entire day. He even took a video of this moment and several pictures throughout the day and made us a beautiful slide show which he promptly sent us the next day after our wedding! Mick truly went above and beyond and we are so grateful. Mick was a pleasure to work with from beginning to end. He was very responsive throughout all of the planning phases and very helpful. He helped us make our wedding very personalized to us and also fun for our guests. I was so happy that I listened to his suggestions where we needed them as he is the professional and knows what works best. I couldn't be more pleased that we hired him for our wedding!

Reviewed on 3/17/2016 Brian S

We unfortunately had thunderstorms start about an hour before the ceremony, but fortunately we had Mick on our side. He helped transform a plain white tent into an amazing place to have a ceremony and all the guests loved it. The music was great and he had the entire wedding... Read More party dancing all night. Lastly, not only were his lights and music perfect, but he kept checking in with us to make sure we were ok and we implemented all his suggestions which were awesome. That rain could've really bummed us out but having him there to assure us that everything was going to be ok meant the world to us. thanks for a wonderful night!

Reviewed on 3/11/2016

Mick of Elite British DJ is the best for so many reasons! When you hire Mick, you are getting more than a DJ for your special day. Mick is amazing with suggestions, creativity, knowledge of music, personality and charm! I cannot say enough about the wonderful job he did for our... Read More small wedding-he was the entire entertainment for the reception (besides us, of course). We received many compliments from our family and guests remarking how personable and talented he was that day. As a bonus, we received a professional and beautiful slide show the very evening of our wedding which was such a special remembrance of the day. We were so glad we chose Mick for our wedding and cannot thank him enough! THANKS, MICK....Anne and Steve

Reviewed on 3/07/2016 Chih W

Right from the first meeting, we could tell he was experienced and professional... by his presentation, his website, his tips. He also loved to talk about music, so we could tell he was passionate about what he does. He was the right amount of listening to our ideas and giving... Read More his own recommendations. His predictions of how people would react to certain songs were spot on (so LISTEN TO HIM!). He is super organized; I loved his online system where you can you log in and organize your song requests, including prioritizing them from "must play" and "do not play." He also requested a final meeting with us closer to our wedding date to review all our song choices and discuss them, but still leaving us the flexibility of making any last minute choices in the days leading up to the wedding. At the wedding, he did not surprise us with anything that he said he would or wouldn't do previously. However he did pleasantly surprise us with a slideshow with a recording of my friends singing a personalized song about us at the reception. When he made announcements, he was well rehearsed, not overly verbose, funny at times, and looked for ways to keep the feel personalized. There were no technical issues (that we knew of); everything worked smoothly and the sound quality was great. We had a ton of guests coming up to us asking how we found him. If we were to do it all over again, we would still choose him! (and his wife as coordinator, but that's for a separate review)