Emma McDonald Weddings

As a professionally trained photographer, Emma draws upon her fine arts background and combines it with a photojournalistic approach to capture the beauty of your wedding. She uses natural light and focuses on candid moments to document the emotion of your special day.

Documentary, Lifestyle

Engagement

Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Film Photography, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Brooklyn, NY Tri-State Area, East Coast, Worldwide!!! (704) 472-7556

Reviewed on 3/28/2017 J M

Two of my friends recommended Emma to me as soon as my husband and I were engaged. She had photographed their respective weddings in the past year, and they couldn't recommend her highly enough. Before my wedding even began, I was recommending Emma to other friends, because she... Read More had already been so helpful and thoughtful during the wedding planning process. On the big day, Emma was incredible--she immediately got a sense for my husband's and my personality and applied that sense to our portrait photo session; she was relaxed and efficient during our pre-ceremony photo shoot, and was very patient with our entire family throughout; and she got some amazing candid shots of all of our guests that reflected what a special day it was for us. Emma somehow managed to capture all of my favorite moments of the wedding, too, and the photo she took of our first dance made my husband and me look a lot more light on our toes than we actually are. Emma sent us a beautiful selection of "sneak peek" photos while we were still on our honeymoon, and she got us the final collection of photos within just a couple months of our wedding. Working with Emma was a complete pleasure, and I will be recommending her to all friends/family who have important milestones to celebrate in the future.

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Chinny A

Where to start?! Emma is amazing! From her prompt responses to my endless questions, her wonderful vibe during our engagement shoot and finally, capturing our special day in the most beautiful way. I can't praise her enough for her professional and incredible work ethic. Every... Read More deadline and expectation was met and exceeded. I sought a natural light photographer and ended up with a genius, cool, calm and professional uber talented photographer. Thank you for being so amazing. I still can't stop looking at the final products!

Reviewed on 11/02/2016 Gosia C

Emma was incredible to work with and the pictures she took are just simply amazing. I would recommend her to anyone for any life occasion you are looking to document.

Reviewed on 10/15/2016 Cara W

The time spent taking photos with Emma is one of my favorite memories of our wedding day! She is so sweet and relaxed it was hard not to feel the same! We took most of our portrait shots in a favorite park by our house, my husband and I both had a "WOW" moment, they turned out... Read More exactly how we envisioned! What wonderful captured memories we will have to look back on. Emma is THE best, stop looking, and book her today!!

Reviewed on 10/15/2016

We hit it off right away and Emma has been truly incredible through the entire wedding process. We had some changes to our plans about half way through and she was super accommodating. Her personality is friendly and welcoming and she will definitely go the extra mile to get... Read More tons of great photos! I loved her creativity with our portraits and that she was good at moving things along to make sure we enjoyed the best night of our lives with friends and family. We couldn't be happier with the decision to bring her with us to Hawaii!!

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 j t

Emma is brilliant. From the start of the engagement photos, where she was very patient and understanding working round this reluctant groom, to finishing up the final edits of the wedding pics - Emma was excellent. She has the key combo of being really nice, putting us and... Read More everyone at the wedding at ease - and a technically brilliant photographer. Most importantly, we were seriously impressed and happy with the pictures!

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Ashley H

I cannot say enough about Emma! From the moment we met with her, we clicked and knew she would be the perfect fit for us. Not only is she immensely talented, her pricingn is more than fair, and she understood our vision without us having to explain what we wanted. Our engagement... Read More shoot was the perfect time to get more acquainted with her, and we were completely at ease after the first 5 photos. The wedding day was completely seamless thanks to Emma's direction, and even though we had a tight timeline, she breezed through all the formal photos and still got us to our cocktail hour! We have only seen the sneak peek images so far, but I KNOW we are going to be thrilled - the images we have seen so far took my breath away. You will not be disappointed if you go with Emma! She's the best!!!

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Rena S

That's it; stop looking; you're done. Emma IS your wedding photographer. My husband and I absolutely LOVED working with Emma. She is at once incredibly professional and exacting and yet so warm, kind, and relaxed. She was a delight to have with us throughout our wedding day --... Read More honestly, her presence ADDED to the joy of the day. And her photographs are just incredible. She captured so many beautiful, meaningful moments throughout our day with stunning photos that we'll treasure our whole lives. I promise I'm not exaggerating! Choose Emma: you won't regret it!

Reviewed on 8/07/2016

Emma photographed our June 11 wedding and we could not have asked for a better photographer. Not only did she get some ridiculously pretty photos (her use of light is gorgeous), she also managed to capture the feeling of the day in a very real way that allows us to relive the... Read More day and also see all the moments we missed. Not only is her work beautiful, but she really listened to what we wanted and blended in seamlessly with our family and friends. Will definitely be recommending her to anyone who needs a photographer.

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Jesse H

Emma's the best!! Absolutely fantastic to work with. Incredibly professional, but also a lot of fun. Very creative work - great mix of traditional portraits and fantastic candids throughout the day (which we were most excited for). Great at being in the heart of the party, while... Read More not interrupting the flow of the party at all. And great on all parts of the process - engagement photography, day itself, album, etc. Could not recommend higher (and have to all our friends).

Reviewed on 6/02/2016 Kimberly A

Emma is great! I knew immediately when I saw her portfolio and spoke with her she would be amazing for our wedding on March 26, 2016. I was a nervous bride but she immediately put me at ease with her professionalism, calm, relaxed demeanor and organizational skills. Of course,... Read More her creativity and beautiful photos are really what sold me. She helped me relax and planned it all without being intrusive. She captured every moment. the photos are gorgeous, especially all the candids- love the photojournalistic style. I knew I made the right choice. I received my photos in time just as planned and can't wait to share them.

Reviewed on 4/30/2016 Robert I

We could not have been happier with Emma as our photographer! We first saw her photos after she did a friends wedding and were impressed by the result. We were thrilled that she was willing to travel up to Connecticut for our wedding. On the day, she was calm and charming and... Read More just fit into the flow of our day, making our guests feel at home and not put on the spot. Her posed photos were gorgeous - but we also got the pleasant surprise of her candid shots. Some of our favorite images were wonderful candid photos of our guests. After the wedding, she has been incredibly helpful with providing any additional information that we've needed. We highly recommend her to anyone!

Reviewed on 11/22/2015 Kim C

Emma photographed our friends' wedding up in the Catskills, and when it came time to look into photographers for our own wedding, my (now) wife and I immediately thought of their gorgeous photos. Emma is just wonderful to work with--she's warm, friendly, incredibly talented, and... Read More the perfect combination of patient and take-charge-when-needed. Plus, having grown up in NC, I was thrilled to have someone from my home state representing.

Great experience!

Reviewed on 10/31/2014

I used Emma for my reception photos and she did a wonderful job catching all of the best moments of the party. She was courteous, professional, and quick with getting me my pics. I have used her again for other photos - Thanks Emma!

Emma McDonald—Queen of NYC Wedding Photographers

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

Emma is very helpful, attentive, creative, and ingenious in her approach to wedding photography. I highly recommend her to anyone who is getting married. She is the right choice. Not only is she a great photographer but she is laid back and fun to be around, she made our day... Read More less stressful by taking the lead for shooting all of our ridiculously large family photos, directing us without being bossy and acting as a fly on the wall for the rest of the party. She also remained kind and sweet despite my wife's initial trepidations. I will refer her to all my bros, she's already booked to shoot my best man's wedding.

Absolutely the best around!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

Where to start! Emma is one of the best photographers I've ever had the pleasure of working with. We are so happy we hired her to do our engagement photos, and eventually, our wedding! She was super professional, always prompt in answering the 1000 questions I had, and... Read More provided amazing work. My sister is a photographer, so I was a little picky in my photographer selection, but finding Emma paid off. She took all of the photos I wanted and ones I didn't even know I wanted. Tons of candids of me and my husband (!), our wedding party, and all of our guests. She was able to tell the story of our wedding effortlessly and of all the things we paid for, this was the most worth it. If you're looking for exceptional work, professionalism, and a really fun person, look no further.

Starting an Emma McDonald fan club!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014

By some alignment of the cosmos, we found Emma. We met her for a consultation a stone's throw from our place and her studio! Emma, my husband, and I did a fun walking tour of our favorite spots in the neighborhood while sharing stories and laughs. We loved her immediately, and... Read More you will too. She is warm and charming and funny and so approachable. We loved that Emma shared our vision for a laid-back love-fest that starred our friends and family. She more than understood my, the bride's, desire not to adhere to certain traditions I find archaic and a little sexist- no garter toss, please! She also really understood the delicacy of divorced parents in attendance and differing sides of the family meshing for the first time in a while. She is a doll and really took all of our concerns to heart! Not only are we absolutely thrilled with our photos, but we are ecstatic that we shared our day with such a talented and lovely lady. Our friends and family just loved Emma and she managed to get a great shot of everyone, and I do mean everyone. She also caught some spectacular moments rather covertly, which really makes for some great candid shots. I couldn't say enough about Emma. She is fantastic! I would recommend her without hesitation!

The best!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Emma. I have a lot of friends that are photographers but from the day I got engaged I knew I wanted to use Emma. My husband is not someone who feels comfortable in front of a camera. So she did everything to make him as comfortable... Read More as possible. She even went so far as to crack (potty humor) jokes to make sure he laughed to get his real smile. Just to be clear, I asked her to do that... So what you ask for, she's more than willing to do. And it worked. He was so impressed by how the pictures turned out, he kept saying he looked like a model. She was so discreet during our reception, majority of people didn't even realize we had a photographer there. Sly like a ninja! That's how awesome she is. I would recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat. Once you meet her and you see her smile and laugh, you'll know instantly this is the person you want to capture your day and all the little moments.

Great Photographer

Reviewed on 10/24/2014

Emma is not just a good photographer but a warm person with great inter personal skills. I hired her for my best friend's wedding reception and she did an amazing job. She was there before time & handled every thing smoothly. The best part was just with in a week after the event... Read More she sent a few sneak peek photographs. We loved the photographs even more we loved the sneak peek which comes way earlier than the photographs.

Emma is amazing!!!

Reviewed on 10/23/2014

I was searching for photographer for so long and then my friend recommended Emma. My husband spoke on the phone with her and arranged a meeting. We met at a coffee shop for a 15 minute coffee which turned into a 2 hours lunch :) Emma is incredible! I checked her website... Read More prior to the meeting and I LOVED it, but what a joy was to meet her in person!! Emma is like your best friend, she knows a lot about weddings, she gave me great tips and asked good questions that helped me in planning. On the day she arrived perfectly on time, calmed me down, told me that my make up photographs perfectly (oh what an important thing to say!!!:)). She was so professional and seamless. She was always everywhere at once! Everyone was impresses with her work. A week after the wedding she sent us a little sneak peak, about 40 photos and they look AMAZING!!! Exactly what I was hoping for my pictures to look like! Seriously, don't look further, Emma is the best! So humble and fun and sweet and one of the best photographers I know! Thank you so very much Emma!!!

Emma is AMAZING!!!!

Reviewed on 6/03/2014 Nikki T

This review is coming a bit late, but I could not let more time pass without letting people know that Emma is AMAZING! From the moment I met her, I knew that we would get along great. She's very easy going, warm and friendly and also has an incredible level of... Read More professionalism. It was easy to communicate with her, and I really felt like she just "got" what I wanted. Since our wedding was a destination wedding, I was worried about our photographer's travel time, but it was utterly a non-issue - Emma actually arrived early :) Aside from our portrait session, I could scarcely tell she was there, but I was confident that she was capturing all of the special moments of the day. Now, I'm the kind of person who is super duper critical about my photos - I always find something wrong and hate most of them. But with Emma...she captured so many beautiful photos that I was completely blown away. There were so many pictures where I was like, "OMG! How did she get that shot? I don't even remember her being there!" I LOVE looking through my wedding photos, and everytime I see them, all the joy and love from that day just comes flowing back to me. Seriously folks...hire this woman!!!

Exceptional Talent for an Exceptional Price

Reviewed on 5/29/2014 Diana

Emma is an absolute steal – she is incredibly talented and worth every penny. We went with her platinum package which includes an engagement shoot and a second photographer on the day of the wedding, and a year later, I am STILL hearing about how beautiful our engagement photos... Read More are. We are waiting (excitedly!) for our wedding photos to come back, and I am sure they will be perfect. On the day of the wedding, either Emma or her assistant would suddenly appear the moment something picture-worthy (or potentially picture-worthy) was happening – something our guests mentioned over and over and were very impressed by. I had asked Emma to take few “old-fashioned” wedding portraits (think of your grandparents weddings from the 30s and 40s) as we were having a 20s/30s influenced event. She went above and beyond with this, even going so far as to bring an antique camera for those shots. Emma is extremely professional, creative, punctual (she arrives early to scope out the place), and also a great deal of fun. I’m a little camera-shy and it’s so easy be comfortable in front of her and act natural – you practically forget she’s there. If you’re looking for outstanding photojournalist-style photos, Emma is your ticket. I’d hire her again for any other professional photo needs in a heartbeat.

Emma Rocks!

Reviewed on 5/12/2014 Kathleen M

We were very lucky to have come across and be able to book Emma for our wedding. She was completely professional, but also a blast to work with. She moved through the wedding seamlessly and un-intrusively. The photographs she took were candid, beautiful and captured every... Read More moment we hoped for. Her easy going manner and warm personality made her as much of a part of the celebration as our family and friends. We received numerous comments on how awesome she was from our guests. Her knowledge of wedding photography is both practical and creative. She knew the best spots to get the shots we were looking for. I would highly recommend her if you are looking for someone cool and an absolute pleasure to work with.

Hire Emma McDonald, she is AMAZING!!!

Reviewed on 5/06/2014 Marisa D

If you hire Emma McDonald to photograph your event, you will not be disappointed!! We hired Emma to take photos at our wedding party in Raleigh, NC on 3/29/14, and I truly cannot say enough positive things about her. First and foremost, her photography is stunning. She has... Read More an incredible eye and got so many awesome pictures of our guests and venue. She also managed to capture a TON of photos! I honestly don't know how she did it. She covered serious ground and got tons of group and candid shots throughout the evening. I was so blown away when I got my pictures back at how many different people she was able to capture, and how many awesome moments and fun action shots she got of everyone on the dance floor. Working with Emma was so easy smooth. She is incredibly flexible and has an awesome, easy-going personality that puts you right at ease. Which is so important on your big day. She is fun, professional, a true pleasure to work with, and a great artist! If you hire Emma for your big day, you will not regret it for a second. I strongly recommend her for any event. I would not hesitate a second to hire her again!! -Marisa

Fantastic and Made Us Look Great :)

Reviewed on 2/26/2014 Cate H

Emma was perfectly outstanding - from start to finish she has been fun and flexible, delivering everything we wanted. She arranged a Skype meeting as we live in London and wouldn't be back before the wedding, helped us figure out the best package for us at the cheapest price,... Read More and walked us through making a list of photos we wanted and what mood we wanted to capture. On the day, she was fun, friendly, relaxing and subtle enough to capture candid moments without feeling watched (a true talent!). She did an amazing job of photographing every guest in our large reception so we were able to share fun moments of literally everyone - and somehow managed to get everyone looking fantastic, happy, laughing, dancing...even some plotting. Her style was perfect for us - a mixture of traditional shots with artistic touches and more alternative features - the colors popped magically and the emphasis was on the mood of the day, while still getting the 'tried and true' shots. Perhaps best of all, Emma added to the wedding. She laughed with us while getting ready, encourages our wedding party to relax in group shots, took us away for couple shots, danced with guests - even put up with some drunken friends 'helping' her take photos on the dance floor. Cannot recommend enough!!

Emma McDonald

Born and raised in North Carolina, I was raised by a family of creatives, in a warm and loving household where self-expression was always valued. I carried these values to college, traveling the world, and now to Brookyln, where I live and work. I embody honesty, warmth, and integrity and bring to my clients a classic and elegant aesthetic that will stand the test of time. I want to make for you images that, while traditional, will carry elegance when your grandchildren look at them.