Welcome to Essence Photography

We’re a husband and wife team. We work together to capture all the incredible moments that will fill your day! We highly value our clients and the opportunity we have to photograph their Love Stories! We believe love stories are more than just what happens before or whats to come. It's about letting moments linger, soaking in the joy and excitement and not rushing anything. We believe as your story tellers, you should live in the essence of the moments you have dreamed of for a lifetime. -Justin & Betsy Erickson

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Getting Engaged, Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Napa, CA Wherever Your Love Story Takes Us! (530) 440-3450
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 6/16/2016 Maggie P

I would use Essence Photography again in a heart beat. I have never met 2 nicer, fun loving people, and the way Betsy and Justin interact with each other is truly contagious. One of the things we cared about most was having amazing pictures that would help us relive our... Read More special day over and over, and what we got was so beyond anything we could have imagined. They captured the little things, and all of the special moments that took place during and after our wedding, and we will cherish their work for years to come! I will never use anyone else.

2016-09-26T11:28:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing us to photograph your day! We loved meeting you both, and felt so horned to witness such a beautiful celebration. - Betsy & Justin

Reviewed on 8/15/2017 Amber S

Essence Photography is a highly talented duo team. They are a married couple that complement and complete each other in all of their skills and personality traits. They created a fun atmosphere that made the whole wedding party at ease. We were able to get all the pictures on my... Read More wish list and far more! Everyone felt peaceful and happy which made the pictures that much more amazing! We had 20 children involved in the wedding party and this couple were able to capture all of them smiling at once! We couldn't be happier with our choice of a photographer. Essence Photography is professional in the whole process and is worth every penny!

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Melissa C

Betsy and Justin are literally the dream team of wedding photography. They captured my vision for our engagement photos perfectly, and went above and beyond for our wedding photos. The energy they give off is so contagious, and we felt so comfortable & ourselves in front of... Read More the camera because of them. My bridal party and guests were also super obsessed with them! I would recommend Essence Photography to literally anyone who is getting married. They truly are passionate about capturing each couple's unique love story. Thank you so much Betsy & Justin! You guys rocked!!

Reviewed on 7/21/2017 Matt P

Betsy and Justin are hands-down INCREDIBLE photographers. I am by no means an expert in the art, so it would be subjective to state they are 'the best ever.' What really separates this duo from the crowd; they sincerely care about the quality of their product, as well as, the... Read More customer experience. Betsy brings an acute sense of detail that literally captures a thousand words. Simply put, Essence Photography goes the extra mile to make your story an enjoyable experience. I would recommend them to 10 out of 10 times.

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Elizabeth C

Betsy and Justin were a dream come true! They have a gift when it comes to capturing your story. My now husband and I had the pleasure of working with them for our engagement and wedding day. They are both incredibly organized, detailed and so much fun! Without the proposed... Read More timeline of our wedding day Betsy sent, I probably would have been a hot ball of stress all day. They both go above and beyond to ensure that you're enjoying your special day and will do everything in their power to help make it perfect. We are incredibly grateful to Betsy and Justin for giving us the greatest gift we could have hoped for, a lifetime of beautiful memories. Thank you Essence Photography! Also, literally everyone at our wedding we're so impressed by them. So just do yourself a favor and book them!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Lexi P

Let me start out by saying that my husband and I absolutely love Betsy and Justin. Not only are they incredibly talented, but they are so sweet and fun to work with as well. Our first time meeting Betsy and Justin was at our engagement session and right away they made us feel... Read More really comfortable. We were so blown away by their creativity and eye to capture great photos. Prior to us arriving to the engagement session, Betsy and Justin scoped out the entire site so when we got there they already had all these really great ideas on where to take pictures. On the day of the wedding, they were just as wonderful. They were mindful of making sure that they captured all of the photos that were important to us, but also made sure that our whole evening wasn't consumed by just taking pictures. Our photos came out so amazing and I constantly have people asking me about our photographers. Essence Photography definitely comes with a high recommendation from Jon and I. We feel so blessed to have worked with them this past year and will most definitely be using them again in the future. Thank you again Betsy and Justin!

Reviewed on 7/08/2017 Alysse G

Betsy and Justin are the most incredible photographers! They have such fun and positive energy and they were always there whenever we needed advice. They are exactly the type of people you want at your wedding. They are very supportive and always considerate of your needs on... Read More your big day. They roll with changes and provide great suggestions on how to capture the best moments. My husband and I were also happy that we did our engagement session with Betsy and Justin because it made us feel comfortable with them before the big day. Betsy was also a huge part of helping us figure out our day-of timeline, which made every detail fall into place. I have been recommending them to everyone I know and we can't wait to have them capture more special moments in the future. Thank you so much, Betsy and Justin!!

Reviewed on 6/30/2017 Gordon R

It's hard to describe how amazing these two are. It's not just how great everyone looks in the photos, it's about how they captured the important moments with so much authenticity. They captured how much fun we all had, how amazing my wife looks and actually got our dog to look... Read More at the camera. Justin helped me put on my cufflinks because I had them on backward. Betsy took the time to capture a moment between my wife and her father when they bumped into each other on the way out of the hotel. We had a less than ideal spot picked out for our first look, but they still got the lighting perfect. Working with them is comfortable, professional and highly, highly recommended. Thanks guys!

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Angela R

We cannot thank Betsy and Justin enough for the amazing service they provided at both our engagement shoot and our wedding. When we were choosing vendors, it meant a lot to my husband and I that we really connected with our vendors, and that they became our friends. We wanted... Read More people around that could enjoy the time with us, and somehow capture what it was that was going around that day. Betsy and Justin did just that. From the moment they started shooting, we felt right at home. We were able to just be ourselves, with little direction, and somehow they were able to make beautiful photos from it. The wedding day, they arrived early, spent time with us each individually, and made us feel special. I remember the moment getting ready with my family and bridesmaids, and putting on my dress, and Betsy was right there not only capturing it all, but being in the moment with us. I know my husband felt the same, as Justin spent time with the groomsmen, talking to them, and making sure my husband was ready. For people who have shot 100s of weddings, they made us feel as though our wedding day was spectacular and that they were thankful to be part of it. We received our photos in a timely manner, Betsy even sent me photos the next day, with sneak peaks on the website less than a week after. She was my go to - to ask wedding questions, timeline questions, pose questions, everything. She became my friend. We can't thank Justin and Betsy enough, we know we have created life long friends, and we know that for all of life's special moments to come - who we want capturing those moments. Thank you again!!!

Reviewed on 9/22/2016 Ashley J

There are not enough nice things I could say about our experience having Justin and Betsy as our wedding photographers. I met with Betsy a couple of times to discuss what my wants and goals were for the wedding day. She put together an entire timeline for me so I could have an... Read More idea of how things would flow on the day of. Justin was with the guys while Betsy was with me prior to the first look. Hair and make up ran about an hour over than it was supposed to, but instead of panicking, Betsy remained calm the ENTIRE time. This was a life saver to me because if she had been nervous, I would have had a breakdown!! Justin and Betsy stayed for 8 hours and captured all the most important moments of the day. Betsy made sure to show me a few photos throughout the day to make sure I was happy with what she was photographing, which I thought was really awesome. It showed how much they cared about giving us what we wanted. I also heard that Justin helped the guys with their pocket squares, which they were clueless about, so they were more than just great photographers!! I got my photos back within a month and I am so in love with them all. Seriously, they are both masters at what they do. I cannot thank them both enough for capturing our Love Story in the most beautiful way. It means more than we could ever express. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2016-09-26T11:29:38 Response from the vendor

Oh thank you so much for this beautiful review. Your wedding was an incredible day, and you were such a fantastic couple to work with. We can't thank you enough for the opportunity to photograph your beautiful Love Story! -Betsy & Justin

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Brittany L

A friend connected me with Betsy at Essence Photography, when told him that I was looking for natural light photography, and something that would fit within our budget. I emailed Betsy, and right away she got back to me. The instant I met her, I felt like I knew her my whole... Read More life, and she made me feel very confidant and comfortable talking about what I was looking for in a photographer, and the kind of pictures I wanted. She was there every step of the way. Not only is Essence photography, professional, but their packages are such a bargain compared to most prices. The big day came and went off without a hitch. Betsy and Justin were completely professional and knew exactly what to do in terms of what pictures to take, and where to be without too much direction. I would highly recommend Essence photography to anyone looking to take the excess stress from their wedding day. Betsy and Justin are not only extremely professional, but very fun and willing to go above and beyond for their clients. They make you feel like you are their number one priority, and as a Bride on her wedding day, and leading up to, it's very important to feel like a photographer understands what you know you need, and help out when you don't have a clue. If you want quality without having to sell a kidney, I DEFINITELY recommend Essence Photography!

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Erika M

Betsy and Justin are not only fantastic photographers, but they are a fun, loving couple who are incredibly easy to work with and a joy to be around! We are beyond grateful to have had this amazing couple photograph our wedding. We LOVE all of our photos and how perfectly they... Read More capture every moment of our special day. They exceeded our expectations and captured our love story wonderfully so we will be able to relive our special day over and over.

2016-09-26T11:31:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you for choosing us, and for writing this sweet review! We loved being there to witness your love, and capture all the fun spontaneous moments that unfolded on your day. We are so grateful you allowed us the opportunity to photograph your love story!... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/29/2016 Heather S

The first time we met Betsy and Justin to inquire about their services, we were sold! They were fun, engaging, and positive about the entire process. We loved how they worked together, interacted with each other and us during our engagement photos and our wedding. By the time... Read More our wedding came, we were incredibly comfortable with their style, attitude and professionalism. We knew our photos would be fantastic and it was one thing we didn't have to worry about on our wedding day. We ended up encountering rain, thunder and lightening during our ceremony and they captured it perfectly! Even our guests commented about how friendly and fun out photographers were throughout the day. We received our photos and they truly "captured our story". We can't wait to share the photos with friends and family. Thank you Betsy and Justin for giving us a gift that will last a lifetime!

2016-09-26T11:32:38 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We loved meeting you both, and capturing your love story was just the icing on the cake! You two are a phenomenal couple, and your celebration was an incredible display of your love!... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/29/2016

Working with Betsy and Justin was such a pleasure. They met us in McCloud, CA--a very special place to us! We were very nervous to have engagement photos taken, but they made us feel at ease within minutes. They do wonders at capturing natural light! They make such a great... Read More team capturing different angles for each shot. I still browse through the photos almost every day I love them so much. Our only regret is that they were already booked for our wedding day! We highly recommend working with this amazing couple!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Christina C

We loved having them as our wedding photographers. We highly recommend them, they are amazing! They were able to capture our special moments from our big day that we are able cherish forever.

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Diego V

They were awesome!!! We got our pictures so much quicker than our friends using different photographers. As soon as we met them, i knew that our pictures would not be something we were going to worry about. Every time I can, I recommend them to my friends and family. Anyone who... Read More is looking to get great value should definitely use Essence Photography!!!!

Reviewed on 8/26/2016 Summer O

Betsy of Essence Photography was a dream come true. She perfectly captured our special day -- including all the little details and moments that are easily missed. She was professional, calm and an encouraging presence, putting everyone at ease. We love Essence Photography and... Read More choosing them to capture our celebration was one of the best decisions we made in planning our wedding.

Reviewed on 8/26/2016 jessica p

Best potographer. I love my pictures and they make you feel so comfortable;) they are now my first choice for family picks;)

Reviewed on 8/24/2016

Essence Photography is amazing! I just love this duo. They are so great to work with; professional, fun, organized and they really know their stuff! Their work is incredible and their pictures really do speak for themselves.

Reviewed on 8/11/2016 Kate M

Betsy and Justin did our engagement and wedding photos. From start to finish the two of them were incredible! They turn what feels like a simple ordinary moment into a true work of art. When I first called Betsy to inquire about being our photographer, I was so impressed by her... Read More positive attitude and willingness to go above and beyond. She was so helpful with ideas that were meaningful to us. Pictures are already sentimental, but she truly makes a point to capture a love story. She took time to ask questions about how we met, and how our story came together. Then when we were deciding where to do our engagement photos, she suggested we go to the spot where my Husband and I met, and finish the shoot where he proposed. When we did our engagement shoot, we met Justin and it really felt like hanging out with old buddies. The two of them made us feel really comfortable instead of the awkwardness that I was expecting (you know how taking pictures can be awkward?). When the Wedding rolled around Betsy and Justin were working their magic! We received a lot of compliments on how professional and creative the two of them were. I can't express in words how beyond impressed I am with them. One thing to highlight about my review: the pictures that Betsy and Justin took mean more to my Husband and I than any sum of money. They captured the biggest moment of our lives, surrounded by our friends and family, and when we look at our albums, we go right back to the moment. That is truly priceless.

Reviewed on 7/31/2016 Kendra C

Essence photography captured my heart from the moment I found them. Betsy and Justin's vision and style is pure art. They are an amazing team! Extremely passionate, very intuitive, and fun to be around. All of our guests loved them, and we couldn't be happier. Choosing Essence... Read More photography was the best decision we made. We would not have been nearly as happy with our wedding investment if we hadn't hired Betsy and Justin. They are simply the best for any backdrop. <3

Reviewed on 6/29/2016 Rachel

I don't even know where to start. I am beyond grateful to have had this couple photograph our wedding. They were a blast! After meeting them for our engagement shoot I knew we had made the right choice. Betsy put together a special package that included EXACTLY what I wanted for... Read More our wedding (which no other photographer would do). They were always on time and had the most amazing uplifting attitudes! I got the pictures not even a month after our wedding and they were beyond gorgeous. I'm so in love with each and every one of them. If your looking for great photographers this is the way you should go. Betsy and Justin are amazing!!!!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016

This couple is amazing and their pictures even better. We were blessed to have them part of our big day;)

Reviewed on 6/20/2016

Essence photography is the best company to hire for your wedding day. They are beyond amazing! Essence photography is a husband and wife team. Betsy, goes out of her way to make you happy and comfortable. I asked her to do a boudoir shoot before my wedding and she said... Read More "absolutely!" They are extremely professional and outgoing. We live in San Diego, California and we searched for the best photographers and after researching and reviewing pictures for weeks, we knew they were the perfect choice. They are so talented. They work as a team to get the perfect shots. My wedding photos were beyond amazing, I couldn't have asked for better photos! Choose them for your photographers, you will not regret it! Thank you Essence photography for making my dream wedding forever live in our hearts. Love, Jeff and Elise Braun

AMAZING!

Reviewed on 9/23/2015

As you probably already know, there are a tons and tons of details and stress that go into planning a successful wedding. In all honesty the best thing you can obtain while planning a wedding is peace of mind, knowing that whoever you hire to do whatever will be taken care to... Read More your liking in a professional manner. Hiring Essence Photography gave my wife and myself 100% peace of mind throughout the whole process. After meeting Betsy and Justin for the first time for our engagement shoot, we knew right away we were in great hands. Betsy and Justin both have great vision, work wonderfully as a team, and it is evident that they both have a deep passion for their craft. In general, communication is so important, and Betsy was absolutely amazing with how swiftly she responded to any inquiry we had. During the wedding, Betsy and Justin absolutely nailed it in so many ways. Their experience shown through as they provided great direction in order to obtain the best photos possible. Also as a bonus, they were not only fantastic with our guests, but they were super fun to hang out with! If you are looking for amazing professional wedding photos and general peace of mind knowing that you are in great hands, I would highly recommend that you choose Essence Photography to capture your story!

2015-09-23T19:16:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the opportunity to photograph your love story, and for taking the time to write this beautiful review. We were so honored to be there, to meet you both, and to spend such a great day full of love and celebration!... Read Less Read More

Justin & Betsy Erickson

We encourage, we give, we inspire, we celebrate, we cherish, and we cultivate once in a lifetime connections.We just so happen to be photographers.... What connects us to you, what draws us into your story and what makes us tear up when you finally get to kiss your husband for the first time, that moment when two become one. We photograph for hearts; for those once in a life time connections we have with our couples where we can smile at your from across the room and know this is the greatest, most profound moment of your lives.