Artist-owned Logan Square Photo and Film Studio

Friends First means we take the time to get to know our couples so that we can photograph and film you in a way that feels personal and real. We are a print-focused studio so all our couples get a beautiful made in Italy album that we design with you in-person. We are new to the Knot but not to weddings. We've done over 100 since 2010. To see our work portfolio, book samples and read our happy couple reviews please visit our website.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Getting Engaged, Wedding

Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Photo + Video

3323 W Diversey Ave (In the Startwork Art Studios) , Chicago, IL Logan Square Chicago (312) 927-5253

Reviewed on 6/23/2017 Brittany S

We used Jake for our engagement photo shoot and we were NOT disappointed. After having gone through an engagement photo shoot already with a not so great photographer we needed something amazing and Jake blew us away. The whole experience with him was easy and he made the... Read More experience fun. Jake put together a guest book with our engagement photos for our guests to sign at our wedding and we can't wait to show it off! We are also using Jake for our Sept 2017 wedding and having gone through the engagement shoot I know photography will be one less thing for me to worry about on the big day because of the trust I put in Jake to deliver. He's a great photographer and fits our style perfectly. Thanks Jake!!

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Keri K

We could not be more pleased with the service we've received from Jake at Friends First. He has been a true friend to us during the overwhelming wedding process, and he has taken what (to me) felt like the most overwhelming part of the wedding and made it something I really look... Read More forward to. In our initial meeting with Jake he took the time to learn about each of our families and the people who would be most important for him to get to know and "capture in their natural environment" so to speak. It was obvious from the beginning that Jake isn't about posing people and things that would never naturally happen, he wants to show what actually happened at your wedding. When we looked at albums from other weddings he's photographed, I felt like I was there--not like I was an outsider looking in. Even the pictures he'd had people pose for looked natural! I wasn't sure how that was possible until Jake took our first round of engagement photos. I'm terrible at getting my picture taken, but Jake made it easy. One of my favorite photos from that shoot was one where Jake told my fiancé to whisper something in my ear, and the result was him grinning smugly and me tossing my head back laughing. It's a beautiful picture and it's VERY us. Our wedding is coming up in August, so we've only seen our engagement photos so far, but I already know Jake is worth every penny. He's even planning to come to our rehearsal dinner, not to take pictures, but to meet the people we most want photographed so we won't have to be pointing them out to him during the wedding. We'll still be giving him a shot list, but I'm 100% confident that he will be taking far better photos than I could come up with from looking at ideas on Pinterest. Other than choosing my groom, hiring Jake was the best decision I've made about our wedding.

Reviewed on 5/29/2017 Adrian M

Jake Miller made our cityscape theme fit perfectly for our shoot. From creativity to charisma, he brought the images and feelings we envisioned to capture to life. He was quick to respond and quick for the turnover time of our shoot. We had such a pleasant and professional... Read More experience with Jake. We highly recommend him for capturing meaningful moments. Thank you again Jake!

Reviewed on 5/26/2017 Camille K

My husband and I love our photos from Friends First! At our first meeting with Jake we had a general idea of what we wanted and he was able to provide beautiful and interesting ideas I hadn't even thought about! Jake made us feel comfortable and walked us through everything. On... Read More the day of our wedding we experienced some unexpected weather conditions and had to make quick changes to where we took our photos. He was so accommodating was able to take stunning photos in a pinch!

Reviewed on 5/25/2017 Alexandria B

I met Jake Miller at an event over two years ago and it has honestly been the best, unplanned, run-in in my planning experience! Though we have yet to tie the knot, Jake has worked with us diligently in securing the videographer that best meets our needs, completing our... Read More engagement photos, assisting in creating our "Save the Date" as well as designing our wedding guest book (including photos from our engagement session!). As a bride who is planning the wedding herself, Jake has been a life saver. From vendor recommendations, to helpful suggestions regarding photos, videos and wedding wear- Friends First Photo & Video is truly a one-stop-shop. I highly recommend working with Jake if you can! Cannot wait for our big day :)

Meet The Events Director

Jake Miller

Jake Miller and David Lehman did their first wedding together in 2010 and they’ve been friends ever since. Jake is a photographer and thinks he’s a mix of Richard Avedon and Louie CK. David is a filmmaker and can not stop making bad jokes. Their photographic style is playful, fun and natural. Their method is simply to build trust and friendship so couples can relax and be their true selves in front of the lens.