Learn First Dance that matches your personality

First off, don’t panic, I’m here to help. Whether you’re a pro (after a few drinks) or aware of your two-left-feet syndrome, you know that dancing in front of others is stressful. Being the only ones on the dance floor is stressful. But it doesn’t have to be. All you need is a teacher who understands that your goal is not to become Dancing With The Stars overnight, that you simply don’t have all the time in the world for it. A teacher who understands that all you want to learn is the dance that is breezy, graceful and matching your personality (but not necessarily your rhythm). Dance that will make you feel proud of yourself at the end of the night…

Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, African, Arabic, Bollywood, Caribbean, Celtic, Flamenco, Indian, Klezmer, Latin, Mariachi, Persian, Polka, World Music

257 W 39th St, New York, NY (917) 499-2109
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 6/13/2017 Fan J

It's so lucky for us to find Monika! We were just 4 weeks before our wedding and have minimum experiences with dancing. And we want something different than just swing and slow move. Monika helped us choreographed a super cute dance with our favorite song. It's fun, cool and... Read More full of our personality. The best part is she adjusted the dancing steps based on our performance and style. Thank you Monika for giving us so much fun & confidence. Can't wait for our wedding day to come! I will def recommend you come to her for getting some magic for your wedding day.

2017-06-15T11:53:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! It was a pleasure teaching you guys :)) Best of luck!

Reviewed on 9/21/2016 Anishah C

Dear Monika, Thank you so much for helping to make our first dance such a hit. Our guests went crazy when they saw us break into a routine. We are so glad that we found you. We wanted to create a routine to Michael Jackson’s PYT and tried to teach ourselves since we have some... Read More basic moves on the dance floor, but we had trouble learning MJ moves. After taking 5 hours of classes with you, we felt like we had the moves down and felt much more comfortable performing in front of our family and friends. You were such a great teacher. You broke down the moves into small parts to make it easier for us to learn and you created a routine based on our skill levels. We had a lot of fun in our lessons and would recommend you to anyone looking for a private lesson. Thank you for everything!

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Jemelie T

Monica is an excellent teacher! She gives easy to follow instructions to beginners and sees to it that her students are able to follow her dance steps. Highly recommended

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Ania J

It was pleasure to work with Monika. She taught us our first dance in very short time in spite of our lack of experience and stress. Wedding guests were very impressed by our dance.

Reviewed on 9/06/2017 Kate W

We went to Monika mostly for first dance choreography and some basic instruction on dancing together in general. She was such a patient and fun instructor, and helped us nail a somewhat unorthodox, fast song (cold water by Justin Bieber/major lazer) in just 5 lessons. She... Read More listened to us and changed things around when certain steps weren't working, and the end result was a dance we both had a blast performing at the wedding. All our guests loved it and said it was one of the highlights of the whole weekend. We would totally recommend Monika or use her again if we ever need more dance help!

Reviewed on 8/28/2017 Eric M

Monika and Justin are both very good teachers. You will learn a lot! Each have their own style, their flexibility gives you a good taste of what works for you, so you're encouraged to learn.

Reviewed on 8/28/2017 Kristin B

We reached out to Monika super last minute and she was so accommodating to our schedule (she came to our apartment at 8:30 on a Sunday evening). Then, she totally impressed us by helping us through our first dance (and we picked an unusual country song) and made us feel... Read More comfortable and excited about it. I would recommend her in a heartbeat and we are thinking about continuing lessons after the wedding to keep improving our dance skills! THANK YOU, Monika!

Reviewed on 8/21/2017 Jeme D

Reviewed on 8/21/2017 Kate W

Reviewed on 8/17/2017 Camille J

Monica is a very nice teacher, she adapted to our level and was able to teach us a lot in just a few classes.

Reviewed on 8/17/2017 Doug B

I reached out to Monika to get ready for the Father-Daughter dance at my daughter's wedding, and it was great! My instructor was EXCELLENT and very patient with me, and she got me in shape. She worked with both me and my daughter, and we have a routine that will be a great... Read More memory to share. Thanks!!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Ashley K

You really helped to make our big day special!!! Our guests really did not expect such a cool First Dance. What a Hit!!! The looks on everyone's face were priceless and we had such a great time! Thank you for working with our crazy schedule. You are the bomb Monika!!!!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Anna K

I highly recommend Get First Dance. Monika, I must admit wasn't my first choice - me and my fiancee tried Yelp reviews and went to the instructor we found there. Disappointed with him, after wasting 3 lessons, we turned to Monika for help. As it was getting really close to the... Read More wedding (3 weeks!!), we wanted a very simple dance that we can learn in a short amount of time. Monika was extremely helpful, we didn't look like a mess on our big night. We actually surprised quite a few guests with our dance skills. 5 stars!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Ari K

Monika, I only had the chance to take a handful of classes with you before I left NYC, but the lessons were better than I ever hoped for. These classes really are for people who are absolute beginners. Unlike other beginner classes which either are way more advanced than what a... Read More beginner can take OR you just learn how to do a move without any actual training in doing it right… Monika teaches you the basics of how to move. Thank you Monika! Wish you would move to Boston!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Sara F

I had taken several beginner dance classes at studios, but always had a hard time keeping up and understanding the movement. Unfortunately, I never got much out of these classes, and always left discouraged. The first class I took with Monika was completely different. She is... Read More able to break down every movement and move at the individual pace and comfort level of each student. Her teaching method is extremely comprehensive, encouraging, and above all fun! I am thrilled with the progress I’ve seen in just a couple of months, mostly with the comfort I now feel in my own movement. When I leave her class, I am excited to return for the next one. Monika is incredibly skilled, as a teacher and dancer, and she instills in you the same love she feels for movement and dance.

Monika Matys

I've been teaching couples for the past 12 years. What made me start? I wanted to take the stress out of First Dance. Make it more about the couple enjoying each others company on the dance floor. To simply make it more personal. In my 25 years of dance training I studied a variety of dance styles including Ballroom International Standard: Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango; International Latin: Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Jive, Paso Doble as well as Salsa, Mambo, Bachata, Merengue, Hustle, Tap Dance, Bollywood, African Dance, Belly Dance, Dancehall, Hip-Hop, Modern Dance, Ballet, Jazz and Modern.