Cuisine

American, Eastern European, French, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Seafood

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Buffet, Seated Meal, Food + Catering

6710 Old Dominion Dr, McLean, VA (703) 556-0780

Reviewed on 6/06/2017 Zorana B

Where do I even start ?! Please please if you have a chance to work with Helgas DO NOT hesitate !! They were so beyond incredible to work with and our wedding wouldn't have gone so smoothly if not for them ! From the first time speaking to Michael and meeting and hearing his... Read More calming nature, I knew Helgas was the right choice ( they were the only ones to actually take a phone call with me vs just emailing !) He even worked with our budget and made changes as we needed. It didn't just stop at the initial proposal and tasting with their outstanding customer service ! One of the admins Lynda answered all my questions on details for the wedding and was a supportive soundboard as I talked things through, making the whole wedding planning process so doable and fun ! And everyone on the wedding day from Francisco to his wife Judy to the bartenders and wait staff worked so hard to make sure everything went exceptionally well!! I can not thank all of Helgas staff for making everything leading up to our wedding to the wedding day for being so beyond amazing!! Genuinely and sincerely everyone at Helgas are there for the clients and that is so hard to find these days ! Oh and the food ?!! BEYOND DELICIOUS !!

Reviewed on 11/08/2016

Helga's Caterers did an outstanding job and we loved working with them on our wedding on June 19, 2016 . Michael and every single one of his staff members were awesome and very helpful. The food was delicious and Michael made sure we had bilingual staff - since most of our... Read More family only speak spanish. The staff really made it easy for us to have a great (stress free) time at our wedding…and for that, we could not thank you enough. We sincerely thank Helga's Caterers for every detail (big or small) that you put into our wedding reception. We couldnt have wished for a more wonderful night. We highly recommend them for your event, you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Ale B

Helga's did an outstanding job in our wedding on June 19, 2016 . Michael ( the owner) and every single one of the staff members were awesome and very professional. The food was delicious and since most of our family only speak Spanish, Michael made sure that the staff were... Read More bilingual - thanks for that. The staff really made it easy for us to have a great (stress free) time at our wedding…and for that, we could not thank you enough. They took care for every detail (big or small) in our wedding reception. We couldn't have wished for a more wonderful night. We highly recommend them for any event.You wont be disappointed.

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Mary Kate M

We absolutely loved working with Helga's for our wedding! They were recommended to us by our venue staff, and were fantastic from start to finish, meeting with us to sample the menu, communicating and checking in with us at all stages, and were absolutely wonderful the day of... Read More the wedding. We had a brunch wedding, and everything was delicious. They were amazing about working in all the small details we wanted to include (homemade banana breads for each table, mini doughnuts for place cards), and made everything easy. They were affordable and professional, and we couldn't recommend them more highly.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Udit M

Helga's Caterers provided food for our wedding and they had such a broad array of food choices it was wonderful. For the rehearsal dinner we had German food with sausages, spaetzle, red cabbage, kartelpuffer. Appetizers at the wedding we had Indian samosas, chicken skewers with... Read More peanut sauce, for dinner we had pork loin and beef tenderloin. We also had Indian food catered that was delivered and Helga's did a great job of making sure it was handled properly. Not only did Helga's handle food, they also helped with setting up/take down chairs for our outdoor ceremony, have bartenders who did phenomenal job making the bar area look professional, clean and inviting. One of our important requests is that we wanted no lines at the bar -- we did not want people to socialize in line. They made sure the line was only a couple of people long.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Grace L

If you hire Helga's, you won't be disappointed. We were looking for a caterer that had excellent tasting food, offered bar options and could provide the wedding cake, too. With all the stress of planning a wedding, it's so nice to be able to rely on a vendor who handles it all... Read More and provides the equipment, supplies and decor, if needed. The staff was amazing and courteous, the food went fast! There was plenty of food and everyone had seconds. There wasn't much left over, which meant our guests loved all of it! In fact, guests were raving about how good the food was long after our event. Helga's made sure everything ran smoothly- we didn't even notice any of the clean up. Excellent caterer and so pleasant to work with. I've recommended them to friends who are getting married and would love to use them again for future events!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Julie T

From start to finish, Helga's was great to work with. They helped us develop a unique menu to fit the style of our wedding. The food was excellent and so was the service. They won us over in part because they were able make the tasting fit our schedules, and the food sold us... Read More from there.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Zack G

Helga's catered my wedding and, based on that experience, I would recommend them to someone looking for a solid caterer at a reasonable price. Throughout the planning and coordinating process Michael was great to work with; he was responsive, good recommendations and options,... Read More and accommodating. We did have one issue pre-wedding, though, when a few days before our wedding they asked us where our ceremony is taking place even though we had clearly already gone over this. Compounding the issue, a woman at Helga's - I believe it was Lynda - was patronizing and spoke to my wife like she was being crazy when my wife was reasonably concerned that such an important question was being asked so close to the event. We got it squared away and the night went off almost without a hitch. I say almost because by the end of the night we were all getting our drinks served in red solo and styrofoam cups because they ran out of glasses. I'm not one to get bent out of shape at such things, it was toward the end of the night and we were having a blast, but when we're paying you thousands of dollars for a service the last thing I expect is get drinks served in disposable cups. Even with those hiccups, though, I would still recommend Helga's as they were reasonably priced (DC services can be just stupidly expensive), did a good job, and our guests were hitting the buffet for seconds (a good sign when it comes to food).

Reviewed on 10/15/2016 Cheryl D

Helga's catered our June wedding - they were great! The buffet was attractively arranged, the food was delicious. Michael was great to work with in the planning stage. The wait staff was attentive to details and worked to make everything run smoothly. Reasonably priced. Highly... Read More recommend!

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Julie M

We had a wonderful experience with Helga's! Everything from the tasting on was very personalized and professional. They were able to work with our tight budget and give us great options. They even helped us out at the very last minute when we realized we forgot about glasses for... Read More our champagne toast! We highly recommend them!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Alyona K

Helga's did a wonderful job with the catering for our wedding. They were confident, collaborative, and responsive throughout our planning process, giving us piece of mind. We love that they are a family-owned business and it shows in the care, attention, and flexibility they... Read More gave us. They are the best value compared to other vendors in the area, and the food tasted great. We ended up having some last minute guest number changes they allowed us to accommodate, and facilitated some difficult scoping conversations with our venue. We highly recommend Michael and his team!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 M D

Helgas was easy to work with, knew what they were doing and guided us through our wedding planning. We enjoyed talking and emailing Michael and Linda and when our day came everyone was so professional, relaxed and helpful. The food was top notch. We are so thrilled -the Briar... Read More Patch staff recommended them and they exceeded our expectations.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Amanda S

Our taste test with Helga's made the decision for us, on the spot. My husband got stuck at work and couldn't attend, so they boxed everything we tasted up so he could try it at home. Helga's was not only the best priced option we found in the DC area, but we were amazed at the... Read More quality of food. That would have been enough, but they were also both extremely flexible (we supplied our own alcohol, they bartended) and complete professionals for our ceremony.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Amy S

Helga's catered a wedding brunch for 75 out-of-town guests at our home this summer. The food was excellent, and Lynda was careful about every detail. We were extremely pleased with the wait staff -- they were a delight and very hard working. A very grateful mother of the... Read More bride

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Amy S

Reviewed on 4/19/2016 Kimberly V

My husband and I were very happy with the service we received from Michael Evans and Helga's Catering. We had been exhaustively searching for caterers when my husband came across Helga's. From the moment we reached out to Michael and his team they were very responsive in... Read More answering our questions. Michael went above and beyond working with us to build the perfect menu for our wedding, even going as far as to create new menu items to allow us to encompass unique appetizers that held special memories for my husband and I. He was also amazingly patient in working with us to get all we wanted for the wedding in the budget we could afford (including pre-ceremony drinks, late night snacks, etc.). I wanted to be super involved with everything and Michael was ok with that, even letting me go and meet with their distributors so I could see what our tables, chairs, place settings, etc. would look like so there would be no surprises. The day of our wedding everything went perfect and tasted wonderful. I would recommend them to family and friends in a heartbeat.

Helgas Catering!!!

Reviewed on 11/30/2015 Tayor S

WONDERFUL!!!! I loved working with Helga's catering, as did my entire family. Their customer service is astounding and their food is amazing. We had SO Many raving reviews about the food and cocktail hour appetizers. On the first day meeting with them, they were very... Read More accommodating to my mom by making her a special dish since she had to be gluten free. The day of the wedding, they were perfect on time, their bartenders were great and servers were phenomenal. Thank you guys for making our day so much more special and delicious! *And for being the most affordable catering company and helping us with our budget!!! You guys are the best!!!

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Sarah L

We loved Helga's!! They provided our tent, tables, chairs, and food. They were so easy to work with, and MUCH more affordable than any other option we came across. It was great to find an affordable, high quality service that could provide both catering and a tent. The food at... Read More the wedding was delicious, I made it a point to eat at my reception, and I was glad I did! We had a chicken entrée stuffed with spinach with marinara sauce, salmon with yogurt dill sauce, vegetable orzo, green beans, rolls, and strawberry spinach salad. It was light and perfect for a hot outdoor July winery wedding. My friends all raved about the food, and I still get comments about how good it was even three months later! I would highly recommend Helga's to anyone for both the quality of their food and service and how easy and friendly they were to deal with.

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Christi M

We used Helga's for our rehearsal dinner and reception dinner for our wedding this past September at the Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast. Helga’s staff were always friendly and helpful in planning both events. We didn't want a wedding cake, and we were excited to see that they... Read More were able to provide a variety of mini desserts - including ones that we suggested! Helga’s served Banana pudding trifle, key lime tartlets, and chocolate mousse. Everyone loved the mini desserts and most people had more than one, which was our intention! The rehearsal dinner was a delicious Greek feast complete with Baklava dessert. People went back for seconds and thirds and we had a little leftover to eat the next day. The service was awesome. The Helga’s staff person took care of everything from planning, preparing food, restocking the buffet, and even grilling the kebobs on site! The reception dinner was also amazing. The salmon wrapped in puff pastry is something people are still talking about a month later. And as a busy bride that night, that was one of the only things I ate, and it was amazing. They set up the buffet to look beautiful, and their service was impeccable. everyone was friendly and polite and helpful and they made everything run smoothly. They also were kind enough to move the tables at the end of the night to help us prepare for brunch the next day. Lynda was helpful in advising us on signature cocktails. We used their bartending services, and everyone received their drinks quickly and loved all three cocktails that were offered. We also had mocktails for the kids, which was a big hit. We used their table linens and napkins and everything looked beautiful. Michael provided advice about planning, scheduling, and working out numerous last minute details. As an example, we needed help coordinating what size tables and where they should go, for both people and food. Michael coordinated with both us and Briar Patch to figure everything out. It was so helpful to know that they had worked with Briar Patch before and had everything under control. Helga's catering service was awesome and we would recommend them to everyone! The food was outstanding, the superb service was catered to our needs, and the value was outstanding.

November Wedding

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Rachel M

Helga's was excellent in providing us with great food and service. We had planned to help out with a lot of things from set up to clean up, but Helga's was there to help us out and take care of things that needed to get done that we were too busy to do. Their staff was very... Read More nice and courteous all night, and they did a great job of putting up with our relatives and friends who were really enjoying the night. The food was excellent, and Helga's provided a unique variety that fit what we wanted to have for the wedding. We'd recommend them to anyone looking for good food and service, with a personal touch that will help make your event more your own.

Amazing caterers!!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015

We were really glad that we used Helga's catering! They were on time, hard working, friendly, and the food was AMAZING!!! They were willing to work with our budget which was so important to us. My friends still talk about the food that they catered and many of them say it was... Read More the best food they have ever eaten at a wedding. They set up the wedding outdoors even though it was raining and at the last minute we had to move it indoors. They were very accommodating for all of our needs! I definitely recommend this service!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Alice M

Helga's was great! They catered our wedding with Oktoberfest themed food (bratwurst, suckling pig, potato pancakes) and it was all just delicious. The event went very smoothly day of and we felt really well taken care of. They were definitely willing to work with our budget and... Read More we found them a comparatively affordable option to many other caterers we researched.

Kruk Wedding

Reviewed on 10/19/2015

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised during our taste-testing session a few months prior to our wedding when we tried the chickin ding, quesadilla, and the sliders. We were also skeptical that the food would actually taste as great during our wedding as it did that day we... Read More tested it. Amazingly, on the day of the wedding, the food tasted even better than before. Not only was it some of the best food my wife and I had eaten, but we had dozens of people saying how great it was. By far my favorite was the chicken ding! Not only was the food incredible but the service was bar-none. The owners went out of their way to make sure everything was perfectly placed and timed for both the rehearsal dinner and the reception. We couldn't have been happier with Helga's Caterers and we strongly recommend anyone who is having an upcoming wedding to have Helga's cater! It is expensive but when compared to other caterers it's pretty reasonable and you get what you pay for.

Country Wedding

Reviewed on 10/11/2015

This was the second time we used Helga's for a wedding, and even though the menu was very different, we were just as pleased with the quality, and the "presentation". Also, we were pleased with the flexibility making changes in the menu and working with our budget. The service,... Read More as well as the food, was exceptional, from everyone we had contact with in the office, and our servers. I would recommend Helga's for any catered event.

Guests loved the food

Reviewed on 10/09/2015 Casey B

Helga's is a good choice for the Northern Virginia bride. My guests loved the food, and the servers/bartenders the day of the wedding were fantastic and attentive! Everything the day of went off without a hitch. My only negative regarding Helga's was the process leading up... Read More to the wedding. We wanted to plan well in advance because of our schedules, but didn't feel like we got any attention until the week of the wedding. We ended up feeling like we were annoying them asking any questions at all. It was a June wedding, so it could have just been their busy season. But overall, the wedding was perfect- so no harm, no foul.