The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Hidden River Events, a rustic outdoor venue nestled on the banks of the Swannanoa River just 15 minutes from Asheville in Swannanoa, North Carolina. A working farm, Hidden River Events supplies many of the flowers and fresh produce used in the weddings hosted by the event company. With 17 scenic acres adjacent to over 1,100 pristine, undeveloped acres, your wedding photos glow with natural lighting and panoramic views. Couples who book their wedding at Hidden River Events can choose from six enticing locations for their outdoor ceremony:

The Annual Cut Flower Garden. This gorgeous meadow of waist-high annuals can accommodate up to 350 guests and provides a lovely backdrop for a garden ceremony.

The Marrying Field. This wide-open space is dotted with buttercups and surrounded by lovely mountain views. Up to 350 guests can share your celebration in the Marrying Field.

The Deck. This intimate space for smaller weddings of up to 42 guests overlooks breathtaking views of the Swannanoa Valley.

The Swannanoa River. This is the venue's most popular ceremony location with space for up to 250 guests. With the river gurgling in the background and plenty of trees to shade your guests, it's also a great place to hold your entire event including your outdoor reception.

The Perennial Garden. This beautiful, colorful garden shows its best during the summer months with space for around 350 guests.

Beneath the Old Sycamore Tree. This ancient tree towers over a grassy knoll with plenty of shade and a view of the bell tower. It's particularly quaint set with white chairs for a ceremony of up to 125 guests.

The Tent. This massive outdoor 6,800-square-foot structure covers a stamped concrete pad and dance floor lit with romantic patio lighting; it can accommodate 400 guests with ease. Heavy blackout fabric and an indoor circulation system keep temperatures cool even in the hottest summer months.

This is an all-inclusive venue, offering wedding couples every service. Couples only need to arrange their invitations and alcohol (with special service enhancements with preferred vendors) for a beautiful, stress-free wedding. Options can be upgraded and customized. All wedding packages include:

• An event manager/planner plus day-of hostess services
  • Sound system and DJ
  • Bartender and drink attendants
  • Tables, chairs, table linens, napkins, glassware and stemware
  • Wicker cocktail tables and wrought-iron sweetheart table
  • Torches and evening lighting; access to the in-ground fire pit
  • Catering, buffet setup and take-down and all related labor
  • Four hours of photography plus a CD of all images, additional hours can be purchased
  • All flowers using farm and locally grown blooms, including wedding party flowers
  • Access to the "Decor Garage" for items to customize your decor
  • A beautiful wedding cake or your choice of dessert options
  • Access to the Bridal Studio and Field House for the bridal couple's preparations

Saturday night weddings include three nights of housing at the venue's lovely cabins, which can accommodate up to 50 people comfortably. Weekday weddings may also add housing options, except for Fridays, which are reserved for Saturday wedding couples.

Please note: This venue only hosts one event per day and you must purchase wedding insurance. A license is required if you plan to serve hard liquor at your reception. Your event manager helps you with these issues.

You'll love all these extra perks that make your Hidden River Events wedding spectacular:

• Carriage rides for the wedding party to and from the ceremony site and reception
  • Golf cart rides for guests from parking to ceremony site
  • Use of the Field House/After-Party House for up to 25 guests after the ceremony ends
  • Optional rehearsal dinner for up to 42 guests on site for Saturday weddings
  • Miles of lovely hiking trails on the property for wedding weekend adventures

Simply Beautiful Mountain Weddings

Wed next to the the Swannanoa River, 5 minutes from Asheville, and follow with a reception amidst a stunning Blue Ridge Mountain backdrop on our 17+ acre farm. Indoor and outdoor sites. Vacation rental housing for 50+ guests on site and included for three nights in Saturday packages.. Kindness, quality, and reasonable pricing for large or small destination weddings and local events. Our packages are truly all inclusive: food, flowers, dessert, photography, carriage, DJ, event management, onsite housing (for Saturday events and Sunday-Wednesday, if added), and all labor to set up a take down the event. Truly, a stress fee and beautiful option. Ceremony sites by the river, in flower fields, under a sycamore tree, in the open valley with sweeping mountain views.

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Barn, Waterfront, Garden, Hotel, Mountain, Park, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

30 Hidden River Drive, Swannanoa, NC (828) 333-3401
PINTEREST

Unique and personal

Reviewed on 6/02/2013 Dawn S

This is how our guests described our wedding. It is a beautiful farm with a rustic appeal that you can dress up. My planning was relatively stress free as they offer reasonable all inclusive packages. Despite not micromanaging my wedding I was extremely pleased with the turnout.... Read More It was a beautiful, unique, and intimate ceremony and reception and not to mention we had a blast on the dance floor! Staff are very friendly and laid back yet organized. The vendors are wonderful and good quality and the whole event was well orchestrated. I highly recommend for the couple that wants a more simple and naturally beautiful wedding with an intimate feel.

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 4/16/2013 Jessie H

I recently had my reception at Hidden River and I could not have asked for anything more. The staff was so great and made everything so easy! We especially loved how they had housing on the property for all of our wedding party and out of town family members! If you are looking... Read More for an outdoor reception take a look at Hidden River! You will not be disappointed.

2013-04-20T05:49:28 Response from the vendor

Thank you for choosing to begin your married life with us. It was a pleasure to serve you and your families well. We hope you will visit us many times to remember how and when your marriage began. We wish you both the best, always.

Best Weekend Ever!!!

Reviewed on 11/05/2012 Alicia C

Our entire wedding weekend was amazing! The venue is gorgeous and was the perfect backdrop for our relaxing, fun-filled weekend. We loved making s'mores over the firepit, playing football in the field, and dancing the night away! Kelly, the wedding coordinator, was a great... Read More help throughout the months leading up to the wedding and helped keep me calm the day of the wedding. All of the staff was helpful, and polite. The facilities were exactly what we expected and the houses on the property were actually better than we imagined! The onsite housing allowed our family and friends to spend valuable quality time together. We were able to create memories that will last a lifetime. Truly an amazing experience and my words will never do it justice. It was just perfect! Thank you to everyone!

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Lauren H

We were married here in October 2016!!! Everything about our day was amazing!!! Jeanne officiated our wedding perfectly!!! She sat down and got to know us as a couple and made our a perfect balance of traditional and nontraditional elements!! Grace was an amazing help planning... Read More every detail of our wedding! Any time I felt like I was going to freak out she immediately was there to calm me down! Paige was the perfect wedding day coordinator! She kept everything organized and stress free for me on wedding day! If I had an issue, she was on top of it offering ideas and solutions to make the vision in my head come true!!! We did not substitute any vendors, and we could not have been happier with how absolutely perfect our planning process or our wedding day was!!!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Valerie B

We loved having our wedding at Hidden River! The staff is friendly and helpful and the venue is beautiful. We had our ceremony at the Swannanoa River site and it was perfect. We were told by several people that it was the best wedding venue that they had been to. It was... Read More nice to have an all inclusive package also. It made everything stress free!

Reviewed on 8/02/2016 Kelly D

Amazing experience! We could not have been more pleased. All of Hidden Rivers recommended vendors were spot on, from the food to the flower to the DJ and wedding coordinator. Jeanne acted as our officiant and she did such a wonderful job personalizing the ceremony to reflect us... Read More and our relationship. Just so thrilled with the whole weekend long event. Hidden River makes wedding magic. :)

Reviewed on 7/01/2016 Amy R

First off, the setting is absolutely STUNNING! Jeanne and Grace are the easiest people to work with; they are so patient and helpful through the entire process. At Hidden River, they can make whatever you want happen. Their house caterer, makes the most incredible food. The... Read More florist is a gem. The photographer's pictures turned out better than I could've asked for. Everybody involved is just amazing which makes the big day even more special!

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Leigh E

Our wedding was described by our guests as "So you." I loved it. The staff makes planning a breeze and stress free. Even better - the actual day of stayed stress free. We rented the whole property for 2 days and it was still completely affordable. I could not have asked for a... Read More better venue for all the out of town guests we had.

Reviewed on 5/29/2016 Katie A

whole staff is amazing! I highly recommend the mountain elegance package! This included the houses for the weekend which slept up to 50 people as well as food, decor, flowers etc! Grace, and Jeanne made the whole wedding planning process a BREEZE!! No stress! They were very... Read More helpful and you can tell they truly care about their guest!! The rest if the HRE squad (Nigel the DJ, Neil the bartender and Paige event day hostess) WERE AWESOME! Their onsite florist does BEAUTIFUL work, my flowers were perfect! I also recommend their caterer Ann she makes the best food! We did a cupcake bar and the cupcakes were so delicious as well as the cake!! Their fajita bar is to die for as well as there Tuscan chicken paired with green beans and potatoes! My guests even after a week are calling, texting telling us how wonderful the food was and venue in general, and that that was the best wedding they have ever attended! If you want a mountain venue that has a rustic eclectic feel this is the place to go!!! We love Hidden River!!

Reviewed on 8/19/2015 Robin B

Our goal in picking a wedding venue was to find a place to relax and enjoy the celebration with our family & friends. If it wasn't fun we took it off our to-do list. We were married here last May. Everything was absolutely perfect! Grace ( the wedding planner/event coordinator)... Read More is amazing, she handled my nerves-- it was raining earlier in the day and stopped just in time for the ceremony. She handled all the details so we didn't have to worry about a single thing. We had a small wedding (35-40) so everyone was able to stay on site for the weekend with us. Grace managed the staff, caterers, florist, musicians, DJ, etc and didn't need any additional information from us which I really appreciated. Wedding planning came down to checking boxes and asking Grace to coordinate the vendors, as Asheville is a small area she was familiar with the appropriate folks and able to make what we envisioned happen. Initially, I was reticent to use the florist they recommended, but had a long conversation with Grace & Cynthia (the florist) and all the flowers from my bouquet, to ceremony site, to reception were perfect. Jeanne officiated our ceremony, she took time to understand what we wanted and our faith tradition and is an all around awesome individual. Can not recommend this place enough if you're looking for a no-fuss wedding where someone else handles all the worries and details and you get to show up and enjoy! My caveat would be, if you're super detail-oriented and into being 'in-control' this may not be the place for you. Can't recommend this venue (or Grace) enough!

Breathtaking venue with exceptional staff

Reviewed on 7/08/2015 Logan S

WOW. I don't know if I can adequately express the level of happiness and appreciation I have towards Hidden River Events. I had my wedding at this venue on 6/28/15 and every thing was absolutely perfect. This venue offers a wedding package that you can customize to your liking.... Read More If you go with the full package, they literally take care of everything (with your input on personalizing the event, of course). I truly felt like a guest at my own wedding. We didn't have to worry about setting up anything or taking anything down. When the reception was over, the staff brought our left over alcohol and food up to the cabin we were staying in (on site). Every single person that was working our wedding was extremely professional and caring and made me and my family feel like we were appreciated and that we were special. Jeanne, the owner, is one of the sweetest and loving people I have ever met. Jeanne officiated our wedding (included in the package) and did an outstanding job. I honestly wish I could relive the day over and over again; it was that perfect.

Beyond Thrilled

Reviewed on 5/11/2015 Stephanie G

Words can't express what Hidden River has done for my husband, Mike & I. From the first email I sent inquiring about the venue & services until the end of our reception, the staff took care of us and made us feel like we were apart of their family. "Staff" doesn't even seem an... Read More appropriate word for the people we worked with over the months leading up to our wedding. Everyone-- Jeanne(#1 & #2!), Grace, Cynthia, Jesse, Valentine, Anne....I mean EVERYONE that was involved in our wedding was so kind, warm, approachable, flexible, and professional. They took care of everything that needed to be done and were on top of their game....they did their jobs so well, but even more than that, they felt like family while they did it. We went with their Mountain Elegance Package which utilized all of their preferred vendors (flowers, photography, DJ, dinner, cake, etc) and were thrilled with the results. The food for the rehearsal and reception as well as out cakes (all prepared by Anne, their preferred caterer) are still being talked about (a month after our wedding)! We took advantage of the engagement photo session with Jesse Kitt, included in our package, and we instantly fell in love with Jesse. Her work is amazing and we felt so comfortable the whole time we worked with her. My husband and I live in Cleveland, OH & Jeanne, the owner & our Officiant was kind enough to let us stay on the property in one of the on-site houses over Thanksgiving several months before our wedding so that we could do the engagement session with Jesse-- things like this set HR apart from other Wedding Venues-- it's not all about the money and business for them (though they do run an excellent business!).... it's truly about the people they work with and their love for what they do. Jeanne's officiant services were exactly what we wanted-- she provides you with so many options and ideas of things to include in your ceremony and truly listens to what you want & then delivers. All of our guests said that our ceremony was so true to us as a couple and many said it was the most authentic, beautiful ceremony they'd ever seen. Grace, the venue's wedding planner, is an incredibly sweet woman and so responsive to any questions or requests we had throughout planning. She always made me feel calm and honored. Cynthia, the florist was also incredibly responsive to our ideas and created stunning arrangements that were exactly what we wanted. There's also on-site housing for 3 nights for up to 50 guests, which was so great to have-- though not as luxurious as a nice hotel, the places were comfortable and so convenient-- our guests raved about how great it was to stay onsite. We were able to host a whole wedding weekend at a great price, having field games outside, our rehearsal dinner, and a bonfire during the days/nights leading up to our wedding. I could just write on and on about the incredible experience we had with HR, but I'll stop now. If you love the outdoors and have a rustic style, do yourself a favor and have your wedding here-- we couldn't have asked for a better place to start our married life together & we are already planning our next trip down to visit!

We love Hidden River Events!

Reviewed on 5/04/2015 Rebecca P

Our wedding at Hidden River Events was wonderful. The staff took care of every detail, and everyone really was free to enjoy themselves. It was so "easy" to plan my wedding from afar with the all-inclusive package, which still allowed us to make many choices and create exactly... Read More the event we wanted. They work with spectacular vendors (catering, photography), and I totally trusted that they would help make our day special. The on-site lodging was also a great option for our out-of-town guests - they loved staying in such a beautiful location! Jeanne is a kind and sincere person - we loved her instantly and she was the perfect person to officiate our very special ceremony. I am so thankful for Hidden River Events!!

Most amazing venue I've ever witnessed!

Reviewed on 3/04/2015

Hidden River is everything I would ever want from a wedding venue. There are so many wonderful settings to choose to have your ceremony in, including next to the Swannanoa River, under beautiful trees, in the wildflower garden, in the center of a pond, and that's just a few of... Read More the options. The difficult part is choosing. Despite the quaint location, the destination is a mere five minutes from Asheville, which is a wonderful city to explore with fabulous dining, drinking, music, and hiking in every direction. There's a large permanent tent installation equipped for the reception and dancing, and it doubles as a safety net in case of unfortunate weather. The bathrooms are much nicer than I would have ever expected from an outdoor venue. This location also offers several houses for guests to stay in, so family and friends don't have to go to a hotel! And in case you do need to use a hotel, Hidden River has a bus so your guests don't have to drive (which is great if you'll be serving alcohol!). The bridal house is huge and towers over the property, and the bridal suite within the house is magnificent. I have a thing for large bathrooms, and this house delivered. The balconies on the house (yes, there are more than one) look out over the entire venue. The staff legitimately cares about your wedding and work with you to customize your day to be perfect. The views are amazing, insuring all of your pictures will be flawless. It really takes the stress out of the big day so you can relax and enjoy it! I would highly recommend this location for anyone who wants a rustic feel to their wedding without sacrificing creature comforts. The sheer beauty is unlike any other place I've ever been. If you want a hassle-free outdoor wedding in Western North Carolina, Hidden River is the way to go.

AMAZING!!!

Reviewed on 12/19/2014 Sheila S

HRE is amazing. I had Indian wedding. As some people may know, they can be complicated. We had events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Hidden River. Grace, Jeannie and the staff were amazing. We went through all their vendors and they handled just about everything. They are... Read More professional and responsive. The venue is truly beautiful. One of the reasons I chose HRE was because of how peaceful it made me feel. To be surrounded by nature and the mountains was wonderful and beautiful. You can't beat price for everything they offer. I was really sad to go since wedding planning took 7 months of my life. I can't wait to go back and visit.

In The Best Hands

Reviewed on 11/20/2014

From the moment the contract was signed, there was a sense of trust and relief that we were in the best hands for the most speical day of my daughters life. Not once did I ever question whether we made the right decision. Every step of the journey we were constantly confirmed... Read More by each and every person that we came into contact with at Hidden River that all details were going to be taken care of and followed through. Working with each person, i.e. photographer, flowers, cake, etc. everyone could not have been more enjoyable to work with and the end result was even more than we ever imagined. The best thing that happened was my daughter said the evening of the wedding, "this is exactly as I had pictured it!" You can't ask for anything more than that! Thank you Hidden River for the best experience ever on the most important day of my daughters life!

Amazing, wonderful place and people

Reviewed on 10/31/2014

Our wedding at Hidden River was an amazing, wonderful experience. It really is a beautiful and uplifting venue. But more importantly, the Hidden River team is excellent at what they do... professional, capable, imaginative, friendly -- and best of all -- truly committed to... Read More helping you create and experience an enjoyable, meaningful, memorable wedding. I know I sound like a brochure at the moment, but our experience at Hidden River moved me from a "stereotypical guy" attitude of "eh, I'm going to have a wedding" to "wow, I just had a unique, personal, fantastic, life-memorable experience!" Jeanne and Grace were incredibly helpful and encouraging (and patient) during the planning phase. And they added "masterful" to that list in how they handled the event logistics. During and after the wedding we kept hearing our guests gushing, unprompted, about how much they enjoyed the place and the event. And that speaks volumes about the magic that is Hidden River... because ours was an Indian wedding with events over the course of 3 days and many complicated logistics. They're good a what they do. They care. And their venue is beautiful. They have my thanks and my highest recommendation.

Surrounded by Mountains

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Allie E

Our wedding was attended by mostly out of state guests and they were just Blown away with this venue. Ceremony next to a small river, on a farm looking grounds, surrounded by mountains that were in full autumn color. Its what wedding dreams are made of. The staff was very... Read More organized, and they day flowed very well. The reception was smooth, and the dance floor was packed! What a party! We both could have asked for anything more. Thank you!

They care.

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Felica S

Hidden River is a beautiful wedding venue that is run by people who truly care.

My dream wedding!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014

Hidden river was the greatest decision I made to get married at. Grace and Jeanne were an amazing help throughout the entire process. They were always willing to help me with any questions that I had and wanted to make sure that it went all as planned. The whole day was... Read More amazing! The entire day felt like it was a dream come true; the weather was perfect and the whole set up was breath taking. Jesse kitt did awesome with the pictures. The pictures are something that I will honestly treasure forever, she caught moments throughout the whole event that still make me smile. I couldn't of been happier about everything at hidden river and I would recommend that place to anyone to get married! Thank you all for everything !! I will never forget the hard work you all put in to that day to make my dream wedding come true! :)

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Kristina F

From the moment my husband and I first saw Hidden Rivers, we absolutely fell in love and knew that there would not be a better place for our wedding! Jeanne and Grace were beyond helpful with the planning and getting things together and ready. They were both helpful, kind, and... Read More went above and beyond what they needed to do for our wedding. Honestly, I kept waiting for something to go wrong because for the most part something usually does, but everything went completely perfect. I’m serious, it did! The ceremony was enjoyable, the food was amazing, the photographer and DJ were awesome, and the decorations and atmosphere were both unbelievable. Everyone who attended our wedding was amazed at the beauty of Hidden Rivers and fell in love with the venue about as quickly as my husband and I did. We couldn’t have asked for a better wedding day or place to get married. If you’re looking for a venue for your wedding, Hidden Rivers is it! It is truly beautiful and I am sure that you too will fall in love with it!

The Best Wedding Venue in WNC!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 maddie d

We are so happy that we went with Hidden River!! Our family and friends are still telling us that our wedding was the best they've ever been to!!! It was truly beautiful, words can't describe how perfect our wedding was. Farm field with horses, a pond, a river, flower garden,... Read More view of the mountains, no spot quiet like it!! During our search for a wedding venue we were overwhelmed and disgusted with all the hidden costs ("you want chairs? Oh that's not included it'll be an extra 7$ a chair. Oh you want a dance floor? That'll be an extra $300"... and it went on and on...) With Hidden River everything was reasonable and made sense! They weren't trying to rob us by tacking on extra fees for every little thing you would of course need. Everything is included when you choose them as a venue. They also had package options that include food, photography, flowers or you can pick your own. We paid one fee that included our venue (tent, chairs, table clothes, etc), food, cake, and photography, we had a babysitter for small children, and they had a bartender. Our wedding took place on a Friday and we had around 150 guests. There was even a carriage ride to the ceremony site for myself, flower girl, and my parents who walked me down the aisle :) Jeanne officiated our wedding and it was beyond magical. She isn't just running a wedding venue business she genuinely cares about the couples that are getting married. She takes her job seriously and is in it for the right reasons. She takes the time to get to know you and understands and appreciates the commitment and promises you make to one another. She listens and creates a ceremony that represents your beliefs and your unique relationship. The wedding planner, Grace, was available to answer all our questions and made planning our wedding easy, we truly couldn't have done it without her! If you go with Hidden River, you won't be disappointed!

Great Venue, Poor Service

Reviewed on 10/04/2013 Rebecca S

I absolutely loved the venue! It is beautiful and perfect for any bride going for a farm/shabby chic type wedding. The only complaint I have relates to the wedding coordinator at the venue, not the venue itself. If you sign a contract with the venue, you are required to use... Read More the wedding coordinator at the site, Grace. Her fee is $500, plus a $75 "suggested" gratuity. In my opinion, she didn't really earn the $575, and was a little frustrating to work with. In the months leading up to the wedding, I often had trouble getting a hold of her. She didn't respond to my emails for a week or two, and often times I had to re-send the same email a couple of times before I could get a response. I did most of the planning myself, and we only used two of the "venue recommended" vendors, so she didn't have much work to do related to my wedding. However, on the day of the wedding, the musicians kept coming up to my family and asking to be paid. That was supposed to be Grace's job, and it caused my family some stress scrambling trying to find a way to pay them. Grace was no where to be found on the day of the wedding. She was very unorganized and I had to remind her of my wedding details multiple times. In addition, she didn't really keep track of the payments I had been making toward the wedding, which was annoying at times. Overall, I would still recommend this venue, but if you're a very detail-oriented bride that likes organization and quick responses, this venue may cause you more stress than it's worth.

Wonderful experience!

Reviewed on 10/24/2012 Amanda M

Kelly was very responsive to our needs and made everything flow easily. The only complaint is that the rehearsal dinner (held on site) was very dark…no light was provided. I am sure this is an easy fix for future occasions.

Summer wedding

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Amanda H

I had my wedding here in June 2012. Kelly Giles, wedding consultant, was great with coordinating with us and the vendors. They have good relationships with a few preferred vendors, who give you a discount if you use them. The only complaints we had were about the DJs provided by... Read More HRE. Their iTunes crashed and so they had to play music from YouTube all night. They also mispronounced a few of our bridal parties names. Another thing to keep in mind if you use this facility for a Saturday wedding is that they can schedule other weddings and rehearsal dinners that weekend. They had a wedding and reception at the same time we were having our rehearsal dinner. Some guests were confused as to where to go and we had some party crashers. I think if you pay an extra 1000.00 you have a guarantee that they will not schedule other events on your weekend. But it is a beautiful place to be married. The housing is okay, the house my mom and aunt stayed in the ac unit was not working. but they did not tell management. I'm sure if they had, someone might have come out to fix it. It is expensive, but I'm 80 percent satisfied.

2012-11-10T08:09:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you for having your wedding with us. We aim to have our clients experience 100% satisfaction, so to hear about 80% from your perspective is not acceptable to me, as the owner of Hidden River Events, and we will do everything we can to... Read Less Read More

Jeanne Matthews Sommer

Hidden River Events grows out of thirty years of experience with weddings. I started Hidden River because I had seen couples come to their wedding day exhausted and just ready to "get this over with." That seemed so sad to me. I worked with these couples as their officiant/minister, having taught Religious Studies at the college level for 20 years. I would be asked to officiate weddings by my former students who had reasonable values, only to see them overwhelmed. I designed Hidden River to address these concerns so couples can feel as if they never want their day to end.