Historic DeKalb Courthouse

Decatur, GA

Book Your Wedding with Historic DeKalb Courthouse

A BALLROOM IN DECATUR, GA

Historic DeKalb Courthouse in Decatur, Georgia, welcomes couples into this historic space to celebrate an upcoming wedding. You are surrounded in vintage charm as you exchange your vows or celebrate with a reception in the hallowed halls of the Old Superior Courtroom. Renovations have preserved the distinctive architectural features while adding modern amenities for extra comfort.

The Old Superior Courtroom. Enter into the courtroom through a distinguished grand lobby. Some couples use the lobby space for cocktail hours or as a check-in area. Gazing around this courtroom, you can almost feel the history that must have taken place within the marble walls. Terrazzo flooring and majestic arched windows give the space an elegant feel. The 2,600 square feet of space accommodates 250 guests for a cocktail reception and 150 guests for a seated dinner.

The Harrison Room. Tastefully appointed and the picture of refinement, the Harrison Room is available as an additional function room with the courtroom or on its own for an intimate gathering. Polished hardwoods and expansive windows give this room a classic feel. This space accommodates up to 75 guests for a cocktail reception and 50 guests for a seated affair.

The staff at Historic DeKalb Courthouse eagerly shares its historic venue for weddings. The team provides assistance with choreographing your event in these classic surroundings. A building attendant is on the site throughout your event.

Rental of the venue on weekdays includes use of the reserved space for four hours. Weekend rental includes use of the entire venue for eight hours. The facility also provides you with use of tables and chairs. The chairs available include 175 red banquet chairs and 200 white folding chairs with padded seats. Tables include various round, rectangular and highboy designs. The venue also has three folding platform stages available. A baby grand piano is on the site and available for you to use.

The facility provides two spaces for the wedding party to use on the day of the wedding. The men can congregate in the groom's room, while the bridal party has use of the bridal suite, which also has a kitchenette and a private restroom.

The venue recommends preferred caterers for your wedding reception. You can use vendors on this list or you can choose a different licensed and insured caterer. If you choose an off-list caterer, you need to pay a catering fee. Your caterer can use the catering kitchen for warming only.

Alcohol service is permitted by a licensed vendor. A uniformed, off-duty police officer needs to be on duty during alcohol service.

You are responsible for all setup, tear-down and cleanup before and after your event. You also have to remove all trash from the premises. When decorating, the staff asks that you not affix anything to the walls or doors. You can use candles, but you must enclose the flames completely. Glitter, rice and confetti are prohibited. The venue allows use of sparklers, birdseed and bubbles outside only. If you use sparklers, you need to give guests sand buckets for disposal.

The venue is handicap accessible and no smoking is allowed. Parking is available in nearby parking decks and centers.

The blend of historic charm and classic decor at Historic Dekalb Courthouse sets the stage for an unforgettable wedding celebration. The event staff adds some amenities to your package with additional charges.

• Request additional rental time
  • Rent a bandstand for your event

Choose History as the backdrop for your next event

Whether your event requires a grand room or a charming and intimate space, the Old Courthouse on the Square offers the Old Superior Courtroom, Harrison Room and Grand Lobby. With original marble, arched windows, and terrazzo floors, your guests will feel like they have stepped back in time.

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue

101 E. Court Sq, Decatur, GA (404) 373-1088

Reviewed on 4/20/2016 Kelley K

This venue was gorgeous. We only needed flowers as decoration. The lighting from the windows and marble walls provided the rest. Mallory was great to work with. She let us come view the venue whenever we needed to. The ability to use "preferred" vendors helped make the... Read More transition from ceremony to reception very easy. We went with Fox Brothers for catering. They had worked at the venue many times and set up the ceremony seating and did the room flip with amazing efficiency. Highly recommend this wonderful venue and their preferred vendors!

Reviewed on 3/23/2016

What can I say about Mallory and the team at the courthouse?! They were simply amazing. My guests were wowed by the marble walls and beautiful floors. The venue is large enough to host a 150 guest wedding, but gives just the right amount of intimacy to make your wedding feel... Read More special and unique. I would highly recommend this venue to any bride looking for just the right balance of elegance and modern flair.

2016-04-05T10:39:58 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm trilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Historic DeKalb Courthouse. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck and thanks again :)

Reviewed on 1/07/2016 Meredith L

There’s a reason this gorgeous Courthouse books up quickly! From the moment we first saw pictures of the Historic DeKalb Courthouse online, we knew we had our wedding venue. We really enjoyed working with Mallory. She made sure to show us every inch of the courthouse when we... Read More toured it. If we had any questions, she was always quick to answer. Each time payments were received, she promptly emailed us a receipt. When we showed up for our rehearsal, Mallory was very polite in letting us know how much time we had, giving us sufficient time warnings. We used the nice white chairs provided by the Courthouse. None of our guests complained about being uncomfortable. Also, none of our guests complained about being too hot or too cold – the temperature inside was perfect. For our elderly guests, the elevator in the building worked wonderfully. Finally, Mallory got our deposit back to us just two weeks after the wedding, much quicker than we had anticipated. Overall, we couldn’t have imagined a more perfect venue for our wedding!

2016-01-13T16:04:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your special day with us! I really appreciate your kind words and I'm so trilled you enjoyed your time here. We enjoyed having you and sharing this experience. Thanks again and please let me know if you need anything... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 4/06/2017 Addie B

The Dekalb History Center is a beautiful venue! When we went for our initial tour Mallory walked us through all the details of the venue and then was able to suggest caterers and a wedding planner. Mallory was very helpful when it came to reserving the venue, dropping off our... Read More materials the day before, and notifying us of when our final payment was due. When it came to the day of our wedding we had security provided by the venue to make sure that nobody walked in off the street and tampered with our stuff. Overall our experience was phenomenal and with the venue being so beautiful before it was decorated our wedding ended up turning out beautifully.

2017-04-07T09:36:45 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind review. I'm so pleased you and your guests enjoyed your time here. If you need anything in the future, please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Reviewed on 2/10/2017 Megan M

The courthouse was amazing! We live in Los Angeles and planned a wedding in Georgia in 3 months. I called 65 venues in 1 week and this was at the top of our list and available, Thursday evening between Christmas and NYE, AND in our price range. Seriously consider them for a... Read More weekday event. My dad even renovated the exterior of the building in the 90's so that makes it a little extra special in my book. Mallory communicated great. I'd send her one email with 8 questions and get the answers no problem. We didn't see the venue until 2 days before our wedding but its just as beautiful as pictured. We had the ceremony and reception (80 guest) in the main room upstairs. The chairs for the ceremony and tables for the reception were all set up before the ceremony began and it meant that we didn't have to flip the room during a cocktail hour which was great! One draw back was we had garland and a banner to hang but the ladder was no where to be found even though when I asked they did say there was one. The groomsmen got creative and stood on a high top to hang the garland but we had to scrap the banner because we just couldn't reach the column. We set the buffet up in the room across from the main room upstairs and it worked great! The bar fits well in a window nook. We had plenty of room and everyone kept remarking how beautiful the building was. You don't need many decorations with a place like this! We are so happy we got married in a courthouse that had some history and style.

2017-04-05T09:04:45 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm so pleased you and your guests enjoyed your time here. I'm sorry that the latter went missing! It gets moved around a lot and can disappear. I recently assigned it a new home and asked everyone to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/25/2016

It was a wonderful backdrop for our wedding. The white and marble, with old wood trim details was simple beautiful. We've received many compliments from our guests regarding the venue. Also, the personnel there at the Historic DeKalb Courthouse were absolutely great and so... Read More willing to answer all of our questions and make sure that we had a great wedding.

2017-04-05T08:45:55 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Brittany R

Historic Dekalb Courthouse was a wonderful venue for our wedding! The building itself is beautiful, and the location is exactly what we wanted. We were able to join our guests in the square for an unofficial after party at Mac Magee Irish Pub. The only thing to keep in mind... Read More is that you will not have access to the bridal suite until your rental time begins, so you may want to plan to get ready at one of the nearby hotels like we did. Overall, we are very satisfied with the way this venue accommodated our wedding.

2016-10-27T14:29:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind review! I'm so pleased you guys enjoyed your time here. I love Mac Magee's too! Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best Wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Karen V

We had an overall great experience. Thankful for the preferred vendors listed because it was extremely simple to work with them know that they knew the guidelines set by the Historic Dekalb Courthouse. My guests couldn't stop talking about the beauty of the venue. Mallory was... Read More absolutely helpful as well! I had my wedding there on a Thursday and was able to prepay for guest parking at the nearest parking lot which was amazing. Glad I chose to have our wedding at this venue. Photos were stunning!!!!!

2016-10-27T14:30:38 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm so pleased you guys enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best Wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Jessica K

The Historic DeKalb Courthouse was beyond perfect for our wedding reception. We had so many compliments on how beautiful the venue was as well as just an overall a great experience. Mallory was so helpful and easy to work with! On top of the amazing venue and service, the... Read More price was great! I received our security damage deposit in the mail before I even got back from our honeymoon. So many good things to say about this venue!

2016-10-03T12:46:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you sooooo much for sharing your experience! You guys were a pleasure to work with. Stephanie said everything was perfect and wonderfully emotional :). I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time here. If you need anything if the future, please let me know. Thanks... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Andrea T

The courthouse was beautiful and the perfect size for our reception! The lighting was great throughout the night and it made for beautiful pictures. Mallory was great to work with, and the AC worked perfectly (very important for an August wedding in Atlanta).

2016-09-01T10:56:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You guys were a pleasure to work with and I'm trilled you enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Congrats and best wishes!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Jennifer S

This location is beautiful and our wedding was absolutely perfect, but I cannot recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1. Parking availability changed a month before the wedding and I was not notified. I ended up stumbling upon the information while doing something else. When I... Read More brought this to the attention of my contact at the venue, I was met with hostility and she told me to figure it out for myself and pass on any information I may find. Complete unprofessional. 2. They were doing external painting at the venue on my wedding day that I was NOT informed of. Because of this, one exit was completely blocked off, one window was covered in green tape (which I pray didn't make it into any photos), and the parking spaces allocated for my parents at the venue were taken up by work vans. This venue is gorgeous and well maintained, but performing maintenance concurrently with an event and not keeping the renters informed of changes to amenities is unacceptable.

2016-07-07T15:37:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so pleased that you found the Courthouse to be gorgeous and well maintained. I went back over your paperwork and it looks like you booked back when we still advertised free parking at the County Courthouse Parking... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/07/2016 Theresa S

Our wedding reception was held here and it was absolutely beautiful. The marble reception area was to die for and perfectly fit our 1920s themed wedding. Pros: It's historical and beautiful, it's priced very competitively, you can bring in caterers that are not on the... Read More preferred catering list (for an extra deposit), you can bring your own liquor (seriously that in itself is sooooo rare and saves sooooo much money), there's a lot of different tables in the inventory. There's just a lot of personalization that can be done here for the bride that has a very specific vision and likes planning all the details instead of using a venue that's got a package deal that doesn't permit a lot of changes. Cons: Mallory Donaldson (event coordinator), although very responsive, she can be kind of strange to work with. She can be very stoic at times and not very accommodating. I am not saying that she is rude or unprofessional because she is neither of those things, and I don't think she does this on purpose, but I'm not sure her personality fits the happy occasion of a wedding (not upbeat or energetic at all). If you want chivari chairs or do not want to use the folding white chairs provided, you will need to rent outside chairs which can be pricey.

2016-07-07T15:44:24 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so happy that the Historic Courthouse met your venue needs so perfectly. I'm not really sure how to respond the the rest of the review, except to say, I'm sorry our personalities were not better suited. I... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/06/2016

I was extremely pleased with my entire experience. Mallory Donaldson remained very professional through the whole process, answered all of my questions & made it convenient for me & my family to view the facility as needed. Our ceremony was in the old superior courtroom which... Read More was even more beautiful than I had imagined & our photographers had a field day. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place for our wedding!

2016-07-07T16:06:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing the Historic DeKalb Courthouse. I would love to see pictures if you don't mind sharing. Thanks again and best wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 5/22/2016 toya s

We were extremely impressed with every aspect of this venue! Mallory (the events rental representative), was awesome ! The overall aesthetics of the place were second to none! Our guests were WOWED as well! If we could do our ceremony all over again, we wouldn't change a... Read More thing about this awesome venue! Darrell & Toya Spraggins

2016-05-23T08:39:17 Response from the vendor

You guys are so sweet. Thank you so much for the great review! We enjoyed working with you too. If you need anything in the future, please let us know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Reviewed on 3/23/2016 Nicole S

I am very happy with Historic Dekalb Courthouse. My wedding was perfect and everyone loved the venue, the location is ideal for out of town visitors since everything is within walking distance. Mallory was responsive and helpful. My only complaint would be the limitation on the... Read More number of hours we were allowed to use the space. Considering no one else would be needing it (since we were married on a Sunday), it seems like they would have been more flexible with the strict 8 hour limit. Also, it would have been awesome if the "bridal suite" area was a little cleaner/nicer. Though I suppose that would mean they would charge more. It certainly didn't hinder our day by any means. Otherwise, I highly recommend this venue. The price was reasonable and the fact that you bring in your own alcohol saved us a lot of money.

2016-04-05T11:27:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I'm pleased to hear the you and your guests enjoyed the Historic DeKalb Courthouse and the City of Decatur. I regret that you felt restricted by the 8 hours. We try... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 1/12/2016 Mahja Z

This venue was top on my list. My mother, sister and I took a tour on 1/4/16. Mallory, was very informative and nice. She was able to answer all our questions and even provided more information then we asked. I decided not to go with this location because of the size. If you... Read More have a guest list over 100, be prepared to have a very small dance floor. The price of the location is great.

2016-01-13T16:01:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the review. I'm sorry we weren't the right fit. The Old Superior Courtroom typical allows for a 17'x 17' dance floor with 150 seated guests. That's about 2 sqft per person on the dance floor (industry standard is 2-4 sqft... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Jennifer T

So pleased. Mallory is the most wonderful person to coordinate with in the planning stages. The venue is beautiful and just perfect. The whole experience with them was perfect. Not a single complaint. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

2015-11-03T09:17:44 Response from the vendor

I'm so trilled to hear that you enjoyed your time here. Thank you so much for the kind review. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck!

Modern Romance

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 nicole r

A friend shared their wedding photos from this venue and we immediately knew this was the location we wanted for our wedding and reception. The space is beautiful and the lightening is perfect for indoor photography. Although we were married on a Friday evening and could not... Read More enter the building until 4pm which was not enough time for our set-up, so final details were left unfinished.

2015-10-24T11:58:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad to hear the photographs came out well and that you guys enjoyed your time here. I'm so sorry that you didn't feel like you had enough time to achieve everything you had... Read Less Read More

Magical Night!

Reviewed on 10/13/2015 Ryan C

I could not imagine a better wedding venue! We had the absolute best time and it was perfect because it rained all weekend! Our guests had a great time exploring Decatur too!

2015-10-14T12:36:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I'm so trilled you enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Thanks again and best wishes!

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 9/28/2015 Kristin H

We were so happy with our choice to use the Old Courthouse on the Square. The facilities were just beautiful. We didn't need much decoration as the room itself had so much character. The cost was really reasonable as we used it for both the ceremony and the reception.... Read More Everyone was so helpful and we couldn't have been happier. The pictures are just spectacular. The location was also great for out of town guests, as they could easily stay at the marriott and walk to great restaurants and bars. Great venue and value!

2015-09-28T09:27:05 Response from the vendor

I'm trilled you guys choose to book with us too! You guys were fabulous to work with. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. If you need anything in the future please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Perfect venue!

Reviewed on 9/27/2015 Monique H

My husband and I were 100% happy with our reception at the Old Courthouse! Everything was beautiful and our guests had the best time ever. Working with Mallory made things so much easier and she QUICKLY responded to all of my emails (there were a lot) throughout the planning... Read More process. We loved that we were able to bring in our own caterers and decorations. The venue is gorgeous on its own so all we really had to do was add some small touches to make it personal. It's hard to find another venue in this area with this type of architecture at such a reasonable price. We were so happy that we chose this venue and would recommend this to anyone else planning a wedding in the Atlanta area.

2015-09-28T09:34:01 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm so glad we could be a part of your big day. You guys were great to work with. If you need anything in the future please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes.

Wonderful Wedding

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Lauren H

Mallory was very responsive and helpful in answering any questions we had. The facilities professional was also extremely helpful in ensuring he was onsite and the venue was ready for our big day. This venue, with its marble interior and grand floor-to-ceiling windows,... Read More required little decoration, which was ideal from a planning and budget perspective. The grounds are also well kept, and we have greatly enjoyed our pictures because of that fact. We had both the reception and the dinner there, as there is a separate room and plenty of space for the meal to be set up. Many thanks to Mallory and the DeKalb History Center Museum Team for helping our big day happen seamlessly!

2015-09-10T08:16:53 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here. You guys were great to work with! I'd love to see pictures. If you need anything in the future, please let me know. Thanks again!

Beautiful Venue - Intimate Setting

Reviewed on 8/23/2015 Adrienne H

This was the first venue that we visited when looking for our perfect wedding location. The site offered an intimate setting for our southern themed wedding. The coordinator was very nice and helpful in suggesting setup ideas for the ceremony and reception. Minimal decorations... Read More required due to the marble decor!! Big plus is that you can BYOB

2015-08-24T09:19:00 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the review. I'm so trilled you enjoyed your time here and that we could be part of your big day. If you need anything in the future please let me know. Thanks again and congrats!

Sunday Wedding in June

Reviewed on 7/14/2015 Audrey L

We loved having the Dekalb History Center for our event. The event room is so lovely that we didnt need to add a lot of embellishments to the space, we let the marble speak for itself which help keep costs reasonable. The staff was very easy to work with and had good tips that... Read More helped with planning. If there were a few criticisms with the space it would be the layout of the bridal suite area (a little cramped in the nicer parts, but very spacious if you use the whole hallway) and the lack of wifi (would have helped the DJ). A definite plu was the size of the bathroom in the bridal suite (large dress plus "help" would have been very uncomfortable in a cramped stall). We had our ceremony in the main room upstairs, a cocktail hour downstairs, and then the reception back in the main room upstairs. We set up the buffet in the smaller room upstairs which left plenty of room for 13 60" rounds, a DJ booth, a dance floor, the cake display and a bar in the main room. We did hear that the downstairs area got a little warm during the cocktail hour, but the staff addressed it quickly and it was better. Cost referenced was for a Sunday 8 hour rental and included the venue sourcing a police officer to be on duty while alcohol was served for 3 hours.

2015-07-14T08:32:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review. I appreciate the criticisms too. I will definitely take then into consideration. Thanks again for letting us be a part of your special day! Please let me know if you need anything in the future.... Read Less Read More

Perfect Setting

Reviewed on 7/11/2015 Samantha B

My husband and I only visited one venue and when we walked into the courthouse we knew it was the space. We had 100 guests and it was the perfect amount of space for cocktails, dinner and dancing. Located in the Decatur square walking distance to a great hotel and plenty of... Read More restaurant/bars our family was so pleased. Mallory, the event coordinator is so easy to work with and makes using this space so easy. The preferred catering list helped make choosing our caterer so easy. All my guests raved about how elegant and beautiful the space looks with flowers and candles. I cannot say enough about how perfect this space is. Even better we got to bring our own alcohol which allowed us to have all our favorite drinks at half the cost of normal venues.

2015-07-13T15:38:03 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for posting such a thoughtful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience here. If you ever need anything in the future please let me know. Thanks again and best of luck!