Historic DeKalb Courthouse

Decatur, GA

Choose History as the backdrop for your next event

Whether your event requires a grand room or a charming and intimate space, the Old Courthouse on the Square offers the Old Superior Courtroom, Harrison Room and Grand Lobby. With original marble, arched windows, and terrazzo floors, your guests will feel like they have stepped back in time.

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Museum

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100
8e37b91d 2fde 4bb6 b113 3e53ec30901d~rs 100

101 E. Court Sq, Decatur, GA (404) 373-1088

Reviewed on 10/11/2017 Alana O

I cannot say enough how magical my wedding was at the Historic Dekalb Courthouse. Mallory was absolutely the best while planning. She was very responsive, answered all my ten thousand questions and was so helpful with vendors / knowledge of the court house. The venue is... Read More absolutely stunning. The marble walls and wood detail created the exact romantic vibe I dreamed of for my wedding. The windows and walls are so beautiful on their own that I did not have to do a lot of decorating, which was very budget friendly.

2017-10-17T15:17:57 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind review. I really enjoyed working with you and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Congrats!

Reviewed on 4/20/2016 Kelley K

This venue was gorgeous. We only needed flowers as decoration. The lighting from the windows and marble walls provided the rest. Mallory was great to work with. She let us come view the venue whenever we needed to. The ability to use "preferred" vendors helped make the... Read More transition from ceremony to reception very easy. We went with Fox Brothers for catering. They had worked at the venue many times and set up the ceremony seating and did the room flip with amazing efficiency. Highly recommend this wonderful venue and their preferred vendors!

Reviewed on 1/07/2016 Meredith L

There’s a reason this gorgeous Courthouse books up quickly! From the moment we first saw pictures of the Historic DeKalb Courthouse online, we knew we had our wedding venue. We really enjoyed working with Mallory. She made sure to show us every inch of the courthouse when we... Read More toured it. If we had any questions, she was always quick to answer. Each time payments were received, she promptly emailed us a receipt. When we showed up for our rehearsal, Mallory was very polite in letting us know how much time we had, giving us sufficient time warnings. We used the nice white chairs provided by the Courthouse. None of our guests complained about being uncomfortable. Also, none of our guests complained about being too hot or too cold – the temperature inside was perfect. For our elderly guests, the elevator in the building worked wonderfully. Finally, Mallory got our deposit back to us just two weeks after the wedding, much quicker than we had anticipated. Overall, we couldn’t have imagined a more perfect venue for our wedding!

2016-01-13T16:04:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your special day with us! I really appreciate your kind words and I'm so trilled you enjoyed your time here. We enjoyed having you and sharing this experience. Thanks again and please let me know if you need anything... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/03/2018 Brittany S

I could not have chosen a more beautiful venue to have our wedding! Mallory is excellent to work with - prompt responses, extremely professional, and so sweet! I would definitely consider the Historic DeKalb Courthouse as your wedding venue - you will not regret it!

2018-03-28T08:43:13 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time at the DeKalb History Center. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Thanks again! Mallory

Reviewed on 2/21/2018

This venue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! The time allotted to you for your event is very strict but other than that I had NO complaints!

2018-02-23T09:49:00 Response from the vendor

I so glad you liked the Courthouse. Thanks so much for letting us be part of your special day. Please let me know if you have suggestions as to how we can improve our guests experience. Thanks again! - Mallory

Reviewed on 12/21/2017 Evelyn S

We had such a wonderful wedding at the Courthouse! It was just beautiful! The staff really helped us throughout the whole process! LOVED IT!

2018-02-06T12:06:06 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind words! If you need anything in the future, please let me know. Thanks again!

Reviewed on 12/12/2017 Levan C

Everything about this venue was amazing. I will definitely recommend it to anyone!

2017-12-15T10:39:15 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much! Please let us know if you need anything in the future! Best wishes! Mallory

Reviewed on 11/26/2017 Rachel C

Historic Dekalb Courthouse is a naturally beautiful venue. All you need to get it wedding day ready is some floor lights and a florist. The rooms are clean, and there are storage closets to keep your wedding supplies in. Mallory was awesome to work with, and very responsive.

2017-11-30T10:45:50 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best wishes! Mallory

Reviewed on 11/17/2017 Stephanie L

Mallory and the entire staff at the Dekalb History Center were beyond helpful! Thank you all so much!

2017-11-21T13:20:27 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! Best Wishes!

Reviewed on 11/07/2017 Maggie W

I am very happy with our choice to go with the Historic DeKalb Courthouse for our wedding. The space is perfect, very simple and beautiful with tons of natural lighting. Mallory was so helpful throughout the whole process. Very responsive and always super nice. Highly... Read More recommend.

2017-11-21T13:22:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! If you need anything in the future, please let me know. Best wishes!

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Amelia P

We loved having our wedding here! It was the one place my now husband suggested and I can't imagine a more fun spot. It is just around the corner from were we had our first date. We did both the ceremony and reception here and flipped the room during downstairs cocktail hour.... Read More Most of our out of town guests stayed close by and loved being able ditch the car and walk to all the great nearby restaurants and bars throughout the weekend. Mallory was extremely professional and easy to work with. The city of Decatur had moved Beer Fest to the day of our event months after we booked (the Courthouse usually blocks the day to prevent this from happening). She was very accommodating and savvy coming up with workarounds for the extra traffic and road closures during set-up. And by wedding time, downtown had cleared out and we had the Square mostly to ourselves for pictures. We used their tables and chairs and were very happy them. There is onsite storage for beer and wine you can access the day before your event which was convenient. Being able to bring in our own alcohol was a major savings (Tower Spirits on Piedmont accepts returns for unused wine/ unopened 12 packs). I'd do everything exactly the same if I were planning again!

2017-11-21T13:23:54 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. You guys were so great to work with. Thanks for being so understanding about beer fest! If you ever need anything in the future, please let me know! Best wishes.

Reviewed on 4/06/2017 Addie B

The Dekalb History Center is a beautiful venue! When we went for our initial tour Mallory walked us through all the details of the venue and then was able to suggest caterers and a wedding planner. Mallory was very helpful when it came to reserving the venue, dropping off our... Read More materials the day before, and notifying us of when our final payment was due. When it came to the day of our wedding we had security provided by the venue to make sure that nobody walked in off the street and tampered with our stuff. Overall our experience was phenomenal and with the venue being so beautiful before it was decorated our wedding ended up turning out beautifully.

2017-04-07T09:36:45 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the kind review. I'm so pleased you and your guests enjoyed your time here. If you need anything in the future, please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Reviewed on 2/10/2017 Megan M

The courthouse was amazing! We live in Los Angeles and planned a wedding in Georgia in 3 months. I called 65 venues in 1 week and this was at the top of our list and available, Thursday evening between Christmas and NYE, AND in our price range. Seriously consider them for a... Read More weekday event. My dad even renovated the exterior of the building in the 90's so that makes it a little extra special in my book. Mallory communicated great. I'd send her one email with 8 questions and get the answers no problem. We didn't see the venue until 2 days before our wedding but its just as beautiful as pictured. We had the ceremony and reception (80 guest) in the main room upstairs. The chairs for the ceremony and tables for the reception were all set up before the ceremony began and it meant that we didn't have to flip the room during a cocktail hour which was great! One draw back was we had garland and a banner to hang but the ladder was no where to be found even though when I asked they did say there was one. The groomsmen got creative and stood on a high top to hang the garland but we had to scrap the banner because we just couldn't reach the column. We set the buffet up in the room across from the main room upstairs and it worked great! The bar fits well in a window nook. We had plenty of room and everyone kept remarking how beautiful the building was. You don't need many decorations with a place like this! We are so happy we got married in a courthouse that had some history and style.

2017-04-05T09:04:45 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm so pleased you and your guests enjoyed your time here. I'm sorry that the latter went missing! It gets moved around a lot and can disappear. I recently assigned it a new home and asked everyone to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/25/2016

It was a wonderful backdrop for our wedding. The white and marble, with old wood trim details was simple beautiful. We've received many compliments from our guests regarding the venue. Also, the personnel there at the Historic DeKalb Courthouse were absolutely great and so... Read More willing to answer all of our questions and make sure that we had a great wedding.

2017-04-05T08:45:55 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Brittany R

Historic Dekalb Courthouse was a wonderful venue for our wedding! The building itself is beautiful, and the location is exactly what we wanted. We were able to join our guests in the square for an unofficial after party at Mac Magee Irish Pub. The only thing to keep in mind... Read More is that you will not have access to the bridal suite until your rental time begins, so you may want to plan to get ready at one of the nearby hotels like we did. Overall, we are very satisfied with the way this venue accommodated our wedding.

2016-10-27T14:29:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind review! I'm so pleased you guys enjoyed your time here. I love Mac Magee's too! Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best Wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Karen V

We had an overall great experience. Thankful for the preferred vendors listed because it was extremely simple to work with them know that they knew the guidelines set by the Historic Dekalb Courthouse. My guests couldn't stop talking about the beauty of the venue. Mallory was... Read More absolutely helpful as well! I had my wedding there on a Thursday and was able to prepay for guest parking at the nearest parking lot which was amazing. Glad I chose to have our wedding at this venue. Photos were stunning!!!!!

2016-10-27T14:30:38 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm so pleased you guys enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best Wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Jessica K

The Historic DeKalb Courthouse was beyond perfect for our wedding reception. We had so many compliments on how beautiful the venue was as well as just an overall a great experience. Mallory was so helpful and easy to work with! On top of the amazing venue and service, the... Read More price was great! I received our security damage deposit in the mail before I even got back from our honeymoon. So many good things to say about this venue!

2016-10-03T12:46:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you sooooo much for sharing your experience! You guys were a pleasure to work with. Stephanie said everything was perfect and wonderfully emotional :). I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time here. If you need anything if the future, please let me know. Thanks... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Andrea T

The courthouse was beautiful and the perfect size for our reception! The lighting was great throughout the night and it made for beautiful pictures. Mallory was great to work with, and the AC worked perfectly (very important for an August wedding in Atlanta).

2016-09-01T10:56:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You guys were a pleasure to work with and I'm trilled you enjoyed your time here. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Congrats and best wishes!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Jennifer S

This location is beautiful and our wedding was absolutely perfect, but I cannot recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1. Parking availability changed a month before the wedding and I was not notified. I ended up stumbling upon the information while doing something else. When I... Read More brought this to the attention of my contact at the venue, I was met with hostility and she told me to figure it out for myself and pass on any information I may find. Complete unprofessional. 2. They were doing external painting at the venue on my wedding day that I was NOT informed of. Because of this, one exit was completely blocked off, one window was covered in green tape (which I pray didn't make it into any photos), and the parking spaces allocated for my parents at the venue were taken up by work vans. This venue is gorgeous and well maintained, but performing maintenance concurrently with an event and not keeping the renters informed of changes to amenities is unacceptable.

2016-07-07T15:37:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so pleased that you found the Courthouse to be gorgeous and well maintained. I went back over your paperwork and it looks like you booked back when we still advertised free parking at the County Courthouse Parking... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/07/2016 Theresa S

Our wedding reception was held here and it was absolutely beautiful. The marble reception area was to die for and perfectly fit our 1920s themed wedding. Pros: It's historical and beautiful, it's priced very competitively, you can bring in caterers that are not on the... Read More preferred catering list (for an extra deposit), you can bring your own liquor (seriously that in itself is sooooo rare and saves sooooo much money), there's a lot of different tables in the inventory. There's just a lot of personalization that can be done here for the bride that has a very specific vision and likes planning all the details instead of using a venue that's got a package deal that doesn't permit a lot of changes. Cons: Mallory Donaldson (event coordinator), although very responsive, she can be kind of strange to work with. She can be very stoic at times and not very accommodating. I am not saying that she is rude or unprofessional because she is neither of those things, and I don't think she does this on purpose, but I'm not sure her personality fits the happy occasion of a wedding (not upbeat or energetic at all). If you want chivari chairs or do not want to use the folding white chairs provided, you will need to rent outside chairs which can be pricey.

2016-07-07T15:44:24 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so happy that the Historic Courthouse met your venue needs so perfectly. I'm not really sure how to respond the the rest of the review, except to say, I'm sorry our personalities were not better suited. I... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/06/2016

I was extremely pleased with my entire experience. Mallory Donaldson remained very professional through the whole process, answered all of my questions & made it convenient for me & my family to view the facility as needed. Our ceremony was in the old superior courtroom which... Read More was even more beautiful than I had imagined & our photographers had a field day. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place for our wedding!

2016-07-07T16:06:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing the Historic DeKalb Courthouse. I would love to see pictures if you don't mind sharing. Thanks again and best wishes! - Mallory

Reviewed on 5/22/2016 toya s

We were extremely impressed with every aspect of this venue! Mallory (the events rental representative), was awesome ! The overall aesthetics of the place were second to none! Our guests were WOWED as well! If we could do our ceremony all over again, we wouldn't change a... Read More thing about this awesome venue! Darrell & Toya Spraggins

2016-05-23T08:39:17 Response from the vendor

You guys are so sweet. Thank you so much for the great review! We enjoyed working with you too. If you need anything in the future, please let us know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Reviewed on 3/23/2016 Nicole S

I am very happy with Historic Dekalb Courthouse. My wedding was perfect and everyone loved the venue, the location is ideal for out of town visitors since everything is within walking distance. Mallory was responsive and helpful. My only complaint would be the limitation on the... Read More number of hours we were allowed to use the space. Considering no one else would be needing it (since we were married on a Sunday), it seems like they would have been more flexible with the strict 8 hour limit. Also, it would have been awesome if the "bridal suite" area was a little cleaner/nicer. Though I suppose that would mean they would charge more. It certainly didn't hinder our day by any means. Otherwise, I highly recommend this venue. The price was reasonable and the fact that you bring in your own alcohol saved us a lot of money.

2016-04-05T11:27:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I'm pleased to hear the you and your guests enjoyed the Historic DeKalb Courthouse and the City of Decatur. I regret that you felt restricted by the 8 hours. We try... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/23/2016

What can I say about Mallory and the team at the courthouse?! They were simply amazing. My guests were wowed by the marble walls and beautiful floors. The venue is large enough to host a 150 guest wedding, but gives just the right amount of intimacy to make your wedding feel... Read More special and unique. I would highly recommend this venue to any bride looking for just the right balance of elegance and modern flair.

2016-04-05T10:39:58 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm trilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Historic DeKalb Courthouse. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck and thanks again :)

Reviewed on 1/12/2016 Mahja Z

This venue was top on my list. My mother, sister and I took a tour on 1/4/16. Mallory, was very informative and nice. She was able to answer all our questions and even provided more information then we asked. I decided not to go with this location because of the size. If you... Read More have a guest list over 100, be prepared to have a very small dance floor. The price of the location is great.

2016-01-13T16:01:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the review. I'm sorry we weren't the right fit. The Old Superior Courtroom typical allows for a 17'x 17' dance floor with 150 seated guests. That's about 2 sqft per person on the dance floor (industry standard is 2-4 sqft... Read Less Read More