HISTORIC HAMILTON HALL

SALEM, MA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Ballroom. Situated on the second floor of Hamilton Hall, the Ballroom includes ornate fittings and fireplaces, high ceiling and polished wood flooring with spring supports for dancing. Eight Palladian-topped windows combine with a neutral color scheme and large, antique Russian mirrors to give the 46 by 40-foot space a bright and airy feel.

The Supper Room. Located on the third floor of Hamilton Hall, the Supper Room is reached via a second staircase. This long, stately room with large and attractive windows is often used in combination with the ballroom.

The Pickering Room. This space has a homely decor with a patterned rug, warm green walls, inviting hearth and plenty of adornments and furnishings, including a replica of the McIntire eagle above the fireplace.

The Brick Hearth Room. This room has a similarly homely feel and is often used in conjunction with the Pickering Room. It is characterized, as its name suggests, by a redbrick hearth flanked with cast iron implements.

The Lafayette Room. This space adjoins the ballroom and is typically used as that space's serving area. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette, of whom there is a lithograph image over the mantelpiece, this room has a distinctive and eye-catching decor with black and white checkerboard flooring.

The Terrace. The Terrace is a small outside seating area overlooking Chestnut Street and surrounded by greenery and cast iron fencing. It adjoins the Pickering Room and is available for cocktail hours in fair weather.

The McIntire Garden. This outdoor area sits on the North Shore across the road from the terrace. The green lawn with gnarly trees can be outfitted for custom wedding ceremonies.

Only one event is held per day at Hamilton Hall, ensuring no schedule overlaps or hurried time frames. Providing events are concluded by 10 p.m., event, setup and breakdown times are flexible. Somewhat unusually, however, events may not be scheduled for July or August except by special agreement.

The rental fee covers exclusive use of all the main venue spaces and is payable no later than 60 days in advance. A security deposit is also required. Additional fees are charged for ceremony time, varying depending on whether they are inside or outside the hall. Caterers must be chosen from the venue's approved vendor list.

When considering this venue for warmer months, keep in mind that it lacks any kind of air conditioning or mechanical ventilation; only some of the windows may be partially opened to let in fresh air. Also, as a Registered National Historic Landmark, the second and third floors of Hamilton Hall are not wheelchair-accessible. However, there is a first floor access ramp.

Hamilton Hall is a solid choice for wedding parties seeking an elegant, historic venue in Massachusetts. For the undecided bride, there are a number of additional perks to take into consideration.

• Use of the Bride's Room for taking photos of the bride in her dress or for use as a cloakroom
  • An event manager and director on hand
  • Tables and chairs provided
  • Use of the hall instead of the garden for scheduled weddings in case of inclement weather

Weddings at The Historic Hamilton Hall

This Federal-era architectural gem in Salem’s historic McIntire District features period furniture, a grand staircase leading to the two-story elegant ballroom with Palladian windows, 19th-century Russian gilded mirrors, and Italian chandelier. The ballroom graciously accommodates up to 160 for a formal seated dinner or 200 for a cocktail style menu. The ballroom boasts two fireplaces, a musician’s balcony, and beautiful hardwood floors and is the ideal setting for the first chapter in your new life together. The private McIntire Garden with its lush canopy of flowering trees and plantings is situated across Chestnut Street and provides a wonderful setting for photographs and outdoor wedding ceremonies. Street parking is available for Hamilton Hall events.

Ballroom, Garden

Food + Catering, Planning, Transportation

9 CHESTNUT ST, SALEM, MA (978) 744-0805

Reviewed on 6/06/2017 Molly T

What a beautiful and underrated venue! The ballroom contains beautiful mirrors, windows, and chandeliers, which allows the room to be dressed up as much or as little as you would like. The original details are simply lovely. This truly is the most Salem venue you could possibly... Read More book. The coordinator Robin was on top of everything and really helped me feel organized and prepared in the months leading up to our event. We could not have pulled off such a wonderful event without her help and insights!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Justine S

I can not say how wonderful this venue is. It's all vintage original from the 1700s and absolutely breath taking. Comes with 3 floors, including a huge ballroom. Robin, was such a doll. My wedding couldn't have been perfect without her!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Katy G

We fell in love the moment we walked in. It was the first place we looked at for our wedding venue, and we just knew. We did look at other venues in Salem, Ma, but nothing compared. The wedding coordinator Robin Perry was the biggest reason we chose the venue. Not only is she... Read More an absolute professional and most detailed person I've met, she is so kind and caring. My husband and I felt right at home from the moment we walked in. All of our guests had nothing but the best things to say about Robin. In fact, most wanted to get pictures with her and our local guests are trying to come up with events so we can have another party at Hamilton Hall. The venue is absolute gorgeous. The history and detail that the building has allows for no decorations needed unless you want to add. We brought very little because the tall mirrors, giant chandelier, and sconces are all so ornate already. The three stories of the building allow for so much space for you and all of your guests. Everyone keeps raving to us on how our wedding was so wonderful and the best wedding they have ever attended and we credit a lot of that to Hamilton Hall and Robin. We cannot ever thank Robin enough for what she did for us and our guests. Katy and Chad

Reviewed on 2/08/2016

Hamilton Hall was the most beautiful setting for our wedding reception. But more than beautiful, Robyn, was such a HUGE help throughout the entire process. She made sure that we had everything we needed and that all of our vendors coming in had everything they needed. She was... Read More really communicative and extremely helpful. I can't thank her enough for making our day perfect!

Perfect Venue!

Reviewed on 11/05/2014 Shelley H

We are madly in love with Hamilton Hall and the magical wedding we just had on November 1st. Hamilton Hall is elegant, beautiful, and full of Victorian charm. We knew we wanted Salem to be the star of our day, and Hamilton Halls location in the heart of Salem on one of the... Read More grandest and most historical streets in all of the country was perfect for us. But if that's not your style, the best part is that you can make Hamilton Hall into anything you want it to be! If you are looking for a venue that can accommodate your unique vision for your special day than look no further. Here you can go as simple or as grand as you would like !

Perfect for our winter wedding

Reviewed on 1/04/2014 Abby R

We recently had our winter wedding at Hamilton Hall and it was perfect. We were able to take advantage of the Christmas decorations they already had up and our wedding turned out to be an elegant and intimate event, which is exactly what we wanted. Our guests have given us tons... Read More of compliments on our venue and loved that everything was held in one location. Robin, our coordinator was also great in the months of preparing and very helpful the day of. If you want a more unique and very New England space, we would highly recommend Hamilton Hall as we loved it!

Amazing

Reviewed on 1/03/2013 Molly C

Hamilton Hall was the perfect location for my wedding. I didn't want that hotel feel, but often the more interesting venues didn't hold enough people for my event. The hall is beautiful and looked stunning when set up! Heidi was so easy to work with and made sure my event went... Read More pefectly.

Happy Bride at the Hamilton Hall!

Reviewed on 10/22/2012 MELANIE P

Outside the Venue: 5 Stars Why? If you are looking for a venue that provides personality and historical attributes all enclosed within a New England colonial style building, then this IS the venue for you. The building is beautiful and just across the street sits a quaint and... Read More cozy park (which is PERFECT for pictures). The venue sits on Chestnut Street alongside residential “mansions” – your venue will blend it with all the rest but let me preface now, as you will read later, you will be transformed into a totally different world when you step inside…. Parking: 5 Stars Why? Don’t fret brides-to-be – while street parking is residential every day of the week – Hamilton Hall is contracted with all residential homes on the street to provide day of event parking. If you prefer your guests to drive, they will all have a space to park without any issues. Unfortunately, there is no “lot” for them to park which should be every more of a reason to provide a shuttle! Inside the Venue: 5 Stars Why? Beyond words about the inside of this venue so let me try to find the perfect words to explain my thoughts here… when you step in the front doors of the building (just above you hangs an American flag – how patriotic?!), you walk through a small hallway into a historic and vintage part of the building with hardwood floors, area rugs, and benches aligning the walls. It’s a large space to host cocktail hour and just beyond the large room (they refer to it as the Pickering room) is a perfect space to place a bar. I did this at my wedding and the flow of traffic in and out of the room for approx. 115 guests was good. The bar room was really cool because it had an old cast iron stove built into the brick wall… very rustic and full of personality. Just upstairs… when you walk upstairs, you are transformed into a totally different environment from the downstairs. Just behind the French doors is a beautifully LARGE ballroom. There are three gold mirrors that align the back wall and certainly are the largest attribute to the entire space. Above, hangs an old gold chandelier that goes along with the three mirrors. On two sides are sitting benches that blend in perfectly with the space… the windows are beautiful as well. In entering the ballroom and turning around, there is a balcony that is perfect for a band or DJ. In fact, I had my DJ up on the balcony to conserve space for our tables down below…. It actually was pretty cool. In addition, I did my bouquet toss from there which added the extra “umph”, excitement and fun to tossing it! Staff: 5 Stars Why? These women who work here are professionals and do this daily as a job so put your trust and faith in knowing they KNOW what they are doing. I was in direct contact with Heidi the entire way through – she was the one and only person I spoke to each time we met. She was kind, patient, supportive, and full of ideas on how to make all the things I wanted to bring to my day come together. She was very professional, experienced, and I appreciated our interactions greatly. She always remembered the ideas we spoke about from previous conversations which meant a lot to me in my planning process. I loved my experience overall with Hamilton Hall and you will too if you consider THE place to hold your wedding reception and/or ceremony!

Sarah B

Reviewed on 10/17/2012 Sarah B

My husband and I held our ceremony and reception at Hamilton Hall and could not have been happier with our selection. We had a large number of out-of-state guests and everyone was so impressed with how naturally beautiful the hall was. Thank you Heidi and Ann!!