Historic Rice Mill Building - Waterfront Venue

Charleston, SC

Capacity: 251-300 PHONE

Exclusive Waterfront Venue of Good Food Catering

Congratulations on your engagement! We are Charleston's most spectacular waterfront wedding location featuring versatile indoor and outdoor space and unparalleled sunset views over the Ashley River - everything you can imagine for your fairytale wedding. Call today to schedule a complimentary tour!

Ballroom, Waterfront, Historic Venue, Tented

Food + Catering, Planning

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100

17 Lockwood Dr, Charleston, SC (843) 723-7952
FACEBOOK TWITTER

Reviewed on 1/05/2018 Katie

Amazing Work! Jenna was wonderful to work with right from the start! We planned our wedding from out of town, so relied heavily on Jenna's recommendations. She responded to all emails quickly and thoughtfully. It's a magnificent venue (we received so many compliments on the... Read More view!), that is enhanced by the remarkable team that works there. Also of note - the food was outstanding. Many thanks to Jenna and her team for making our wedding easy and fun!

Reviewed on 11/19/2017 Terry N

The venue was exquisite, especially to see the total eclipse of the sun on August 21, our wedding date. Jenna was FANTASTIC, we couldn't have had a better experience. She was always responsive, shared good ideas on decor, vendor options and had a calm about her that made me feel... Read More confident. I am from Toronto so I relied on her for early deliveries, long distance coordination, and meetings. She understood our vision and helped execute it into reality. Good Food Catering was excellent, the only dish we didn't love was the fish. The appys, the filet, and the chicken were outstanding! The ambiance was complimented by the eclipse and we had transformed this quaint old historic building into a romantic paradise. The team was also very accommodating; when we moved up the guest arrival time and opened the bar, it was not a problem. When we extended the wedding an hour the night of, it was not a problem. I would highly recommend this venue and team to help make your wedding day one of your best ever memories. Thank you to Jenna and the team for all your help.

Reviewed on 2/25/2017 Katie T

The Historic Rice Mill is a beautiful venue and it is right on the water. They really worked with us on price after we turned to them when the Citadel Beach Club caught fire. All linens, chairs, and lighting contractors were done through them and they set everything up. The... Read More food was delicious and they provide dishes. I had about 185 people with about 85 seats. I had a day wedding and had stations and hors d'oeuvres so not everyone needed to be sitting. Didn't need to get cocktail tables because the ones they have were great and very historical looking. They also provided tables. They had 2 patio areas and one had outdoor seats. There was also plenty of room for dancing.

Reviewed on 11/11/2016 Alexa J

The Historic Rice Mill and Eve with Good Food Catering did their absolute best to make sure our wedding was everything we wanted it to be. Seriously the BEST food, smooth coordination and flow of our day, and great (fast) communication throughout the planning process. Eve made... Read More planning from out of town so easy. She also arranged all of our rentals, gave very straightforward and helpful advice, and even stayed super late after a wedding the night before mine to set everything up for our morning ceremony. Could not recommend Eve and the Rice MIll enough!!

Reviewed on 11/01/2016 Mollie C

Everything about the Historic Rice Mill was AMAZING! We held both our ceremony and reception on site, and we could not have asked for a more picturesque setting for both. The exposed brick, large windows and beautiful views were enough to sell us, but our wedding day (and all of... Read More the planning) were that much better when we met the amazing staff! We were lucky enough to work with Eve, who literally managed EVERYTHING - from the rentals and food to deliveries and day-of coordination. Eve met with us on several occasions to make sure everything was planned exactly as we wanted, she came through the day of when I forgot to drop-off important items, and she made it her mission to ensure that all of our guests were having a wonderful time on the night of our wedding. She was genuinely interested in making our night one that we would never forget, and we can't thank her and the HRC/GFC staff enough for all of their hard work!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Caroline T

I had a good feeling about the Rice Mill before our venue tours even kicked off, so it felt totally right when they emerged as the obvious frontrunner. We were working with a relatively modest budget and without question Rice Mill had far more to offer in terms of beauty and... Read More wow-factor than other venues in the same price range. Jenna and her team were fantastic to work with and all their help and guidance throughout the process was invaluable. The event itself went off without a hitch just a week after Hurricane Matthew. The Rice Mill Staff and Good Food Catering (their in house catering company) took such care to make it a beautiful event. Strongly recommended!

Loved The Rice Mill

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Rachel S

We used the Rice Mill for both our ceremony and reception and loved it. Jenna was absolutely fantastic to work with. She was knowledgeable and very quick to respond if I had any concerns. The best part about the venue is the waterfront view. We got so many compliments on our... Read More selection of venue. I would recommend this venue to everyone.

Beautiful, classy reception location. Best food and atmosphere!

Reviewed on 10/17/2014 Katie H

Perfect venue for a reception of 100-150 people. With respect to other comparable locations in the Charleston area, this is the best value there is! The atmosphere was relaxed, the layout is comfortable, building has a classic look that needs little additional decoration (money... Read More saver!), and there is a beautiful marina view (great sunset pics!). The event staff was amazing and management was flexible and made the event easy to plan. The menu selection can't be beat! I had the wedding of my dreams and the Rice Mill in large to thank for it.

Great Job!

Reviewed on 6/30/2014 Tate S

It started raining minutes before my ceremony and the staff got drenched moving chairs around. Thanks so much for working so hard for us! The view was unbeatable, the food was delicious and the service was perfect. Thanks for a great time!

Timeless

Reviewed on 6/12/2014 Matt M

Working with Jenna at the Rice Mill made the wedding a breeze. She was there to help every step of the way including the bid day. The ambience of the building was perfect and we didn't even need decoration because the site had so much character. Our guests loved the Rice Mill... Read More and are still raving about how beautiful it was on the waterfront. As well, the food was incredible. I couldn't have been happier with the whole experience. Thank you Jenna and the Rice Mill team!

Historic Rice Mill - Beautiful Venue!

Reviewed on 5/23/2014 Kelsey B

We held our reception at the Historic Rice Mill in April 2014. We booked the venue over a year in advance and were talking with them months before that. So with that said, some things changed from our first conversations through the time of the event and that is the reason I... Read More have to take away a star. We thought some things would be included with the venue that we ended up having to pay for that wasn't budgeted out. However, with that said, the venue was a dream. It was everything I wanted - a historic building, right on the water, very Charleston. The layout was great especially if you aren't into the one big room thing like me. Guests get to flow throughout the building space (indoor and outdoor) with the dance floor on one side and most seating tables on the other. It worked perfectly for our reception and we got so many compliments on the venue. It is a beautiful building with great scenery, so it doesn't need much decoration. I would say that we had around 200 or so guests, may be a little more. If you have way more than that, the space may be an issue. But, I definitely recommend the Rice Mill!

Amazing space and amazing staff

Reviewed on 10/22/2012 Ava C

We had our wedding at the Rice Mill on October 7th. It was absolutely perfect. Emily at the Rice Mill was amazing to work with. The venue provided the bar, took care of any rentals I wanted and had amazing catering from Good Food Catering. Emily was always quick to answer any... Read More questions I had and the day went perfect. We got a ton of complements on the wonderful food from Good Food Catering.

Beautiful Reception Location

Reviewed on 9/16/2012 Melissa P

The Historic Rice Mill was our first choice venue to host our wedding reception! We loved the ambiance, and overall feel to the building. There are so many options and ways you can decorate and utilize this site. WE loved that you could have the dancing and music near the bar... Read More and have inside and outside places for people to talk and mingle. The food was amazing and our guests were not afraid to share that with us. The servers treated my husband and myself like royalty. They made us plates of food and brought us drinks throughout the night. The air conditioning was kicking for our august wedding and you wouldn’t have even known it was summer outside. It did rain on our big day but that didn’t hinder the photo opportunities or our guests from enjoying the outside covered area to eat and mingle. The Rice Mill is beautiful in photographs either as a back drop or just candid shots. It is pricey, but worth the money!! The only problems we had was our Rice Mill host left during the process so we had to transition to a new person, but it didn’t take her long to catch up to us and our planning. What I felt was the most helpful for me was being able to go over throughout the year and visit the site and ask questions.

Beautiful Waterfront Venue

Reviewed on 5/16/2012 Christy H

My husband and I wanted a waterfront venue, but still wanted to stay downtown so it was easier for family and friends that were visiting out of town. The Rice Mill was perfect! We love the sunset views of the marina and the outdoor spaces. Not to mention the dance floor and... Read More beautiful bar! We couldn't have picked a better venue!

September Wedding

Reviewed on 11/12/2011 Karen G

My wedding was at one of the most beautiful venues in Charleston (in my opinion)...The Historic Rice Mill. Not only is this venue unique, but the rustic charm of it is exactly our style, and set the most beautiful backdrop for our wedding. You cannot have a more perfect... Read More background for your photos than the beautiful harbor and boats on the outside, and the inside with it's exposed brick walls, wide planked wood floors, and beautiful tin ceiling. You do not need much decoration to made this place look exquisite...just some candles did the trick for us! I cannot stress enough the beauty here! The experience of planning and having our wedding here was also equally as wonderful. The staff were very thorough and helpful, and great to work with. The only glitch was that our rehearsal that was supposed to be there the evening before our wedding was not able to happen due to another event being planned...and we did not get this information until 4:30 the day of the rehearsal. That was easily rearranged on our part, but was an inconvenience. I would recommend this venue to anyone. Beautiful, pretty affordable, and easy to "glam up" for a wedding without having to spend much money, and the food was AMAZING! Good Food Catering is the catering company that works at the venue, and I have gotten an overwhelming amount of praise for the food. They had a lot of choices for us to pick from, and were willing to customize anything that we wanted. The "total cost of service" that I have selected included all of our food, and alcohol, and we had the ceremony here as well, so it includes that fee too. Overall, we had a blast, and the day was perfect!

Great Venue - Fantastic Food!

Reviewed on 5/12/2011 Deborah L

I visited many venues before deciding on the Rice Mill Building, I absolutely fell in love with the building the minute we walked in. The exposed brick and architectural elements of this beautiful old building really shine. Emily at GFC was amazing to work with, she was full of... Read More great ideas and helpful advice, tailored the menu to our preferences, and coordinated the day flawlessly. She even helped me work through the few un-foreseen details on the day of. The food portions were huge, and guests were raving about the location and the food. I had read several reviews saying the building can get hot, but for my April wedding the temperatures in the building were perfect, no worries there. I just can’t say enough nice things about GFC and the Rice Mill building!

Loved Everything!

Reviewed on 4/07/2011 Tristan W

I loved everything and could not have asked for better service, food or location!!!!

Beautiful venue, wonderful food!

Reviewed on 3/21/2011 Allison C

We were so pleased to have had our reception at the beautiful historic Rice Mill overlooking Charleston Harbor!!! It was everything we hoped it would be and more. The space is wonderful--it really doesn't need much in terms of decorating, and the food--oh where do I begin? My... Read More husband and I both really like traditional lowcountry/southern cuisine and we wanted our wedding menu to reflect this. We had a buffet dinner that was exactly what we'd dreamed of--fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, shrimp and grits, cornbread, roasted pork, and I could go on. Everything was delicious. We worked with Catherine and she was fantastic in helping us design a menu that fit within our budget. She was also very flexible--we went back and forth on the menu and the bar package a few times and she was always very patient and helpful. She also had great advice about colors that work well in the space and she was able to set up all of our rentals for table linens, etc. We were totally pleased and can't recommend the Rice Mill enough.

Beauty on the Water

Reviewed on 1/16/2011 Monica Z

The building itself is gorgeous and doesn't need much decorating. I loved the rustic, Charleston feel. Not to mention the view of the marina at sunset.

Awesome & Unique Venue

Reviewed on 11/22/2010 Tara H

Fantastic venue for your wedding! It captures Charelston perfectly with it's location and unique atmosphere. The food was amazing, and the venue looked gorgeous for our wedding.

Beautiful and Delicious

Reviewed on 8/11/2010 Dawn S

The staff at The Historic Rice Mill Building made sure everything was perfect. The food was amazing and all our guests commented. The site is unique and intimate and makes for great photos. The bartenders were personable and made great drinks!

2010-08-11T10:25:53 Response from the vendor

Thanks again for your review! We love our bartenders!