The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in Orange, Virginia, the Inn at Westwood Farm offers a unique and historic country setting for wedding ceremonies and receptions. The property spans more than 15 acres and dates back to 1910 when it served as a farmhouse. There is evidence to suggest that Confederate troops were stationed on the land. Today, it serves as an event venue, but also has gardens and a farm with hens. The venue can accommodate up to 250 guests and is a great option for those who would like to bring in outside vendors for catering. With exclusive use of the venue for the weekend, the Inn at Westwood Farm allows the couple and guests to enjoy a truly immersive and private experience.

The barn at Westwood. The barn is a quintessential structure painted barn red with white accents. Surrounded by lawn, trees and a white picket fence, it is a classic backdrop for wedding ceremonies or receptions. The barn itself is fairly small, so most occasions take place adjacent to the building. The barn is a good space for a bar or for a general mingling area.

Lawn. Couples can work with the venue to identify their ideal space for a reception or ceremony outside. Many receptions take place under a white tented space with an added dance floor. With stringed lights and minimal decor, the space is both elegant and simple.

Couples should plan to rent out the entire property for their wedding weekend. This spans from 2 p.m. on Friday through noon on Sunday. The owners of the property will take an active role in the actual wedding planning and coordination. Couples have found them to be warm, welcoming and accommodating. The venue rental includes some items that are usually not included in packages, such as tents for reception and catering, lighting and recycling removal. However, it's worthwhile to note that only portable restrooms will be available. In addition, the following items are included:

• Electrical and water hookups outside
  • Dance floor
  • Tables and linens
  • Chairs
  • P/A

A day-of coordinator from the venue is provided. The following items will require couples to hire vendors off-site (the venue can provide a preferred vendors list):

• Catering
  • Flowers
  • Music
  • Officiant
  • Photography

The Inn at Westwood Farm provides several extra perks. Accommodations for up to eight people in four rooms are included with the venue rental. They will also provide lawn games for the reception, which include croquet, bocce ball and cornhole. Also included is a complimentary one night's stay for the wedding couple for the following year after the wedding.

Serenity with pastoral views

Make your special day the most memorable. Rustic barn, beautiful peaceful landscape and model accommodations this 15 acre farm in scenic Central Virginia is the epitome of a picture perfect wedding. The innkeepers will tend to your ceremony and reception needs with the utmost care.

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Barn, Garden, Tented

Planning, Tents, Rentals + Equipment

12256 Montford Road, Orange, VA (540) 661-1293
PINTEREST

Book here for the ideal Rustic Wedding!

Reviewed on 10/31/2013 Bethany S

Where to even start...my wife and I were married here last Saturday (9/28/13). The setting is only surpassed by how amazing Jay and Elizabeth are. You would swear they've been doing this forever. Every single detail was covered and things we hadn't even thought about were... Read More seamlessly handled. If you want a farm style wedding with the attention to detail of the ritz, this is your place.

Lovely Wedding Site

Reviewed on 6/02/2013 Angie C

Jay and Elizabeth lovingly restored the inn and made it an ideal representation of all that is appealing about central VA. Classic accommodations with modern conveniences, elaborate landscaping on beautiful farmland, and a relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere. Jay and Elizabeth... Read More display a warm patience that separates them from other innkeepers and event hosts. They treat you like family and work extremely hard to insulate you from the stresses and surprises of orchestrating a large affair. We unintentionally picked an inexperienced caterer who made things "interesting" for Elizabeth, but she diligently educated the staff on successful execution. Friends and family unanimously complimented us on picking the "perfect" location for a "perfect" wedding. Our first thought as we drove away from our wonderful weekend was, "why would anyone *not* get married here???" There is a reason why every review of this venue mentions Elizabeth and Jay by name - they are lovely people and are a hoot to spend time with; we can't wait to return for a visit and reminisce about our great experience!

Absolute Perfection

Reviewed on 5/27/2010 Kate S

The Inn at Westwood Farm is AMAZING. My wedding day was like a fairy tale and it was all thanks to the Innkeepers Elizabeth and Jay. The Inn's grounds have breathtaking scenery, and the Inn itself is gorgeous. Even before the wedding weekend, they worked so hard to make sure... Read More that our wedding was exactly what we wanted. Meeting with us and our families several times and endless emails. They never tired of my questions or changes. Our wedding day was so much more perfect than I even dreamed it could be. To put it simply; we were taken care of like family. With a professional and caring demeanor, Elizabeth and Jay took care of all of our requests and needs. They made the wedding what it was - fabulous! And their inn is the most beautiful mix of modern, clean lines with a classic elegant feel which made us feel so luxurious and well appointed - and at the same time very at home. They took care of finding all of our vendors - florists, caterers to rentals. We had already booked our photographer and DJ, but I am sure that they would have had excellent recommendations for those as well. Their recommendations were invaluable, as we had the most scrumptious food, and flowers that were so beautiful that when I first saw them I broke out in tears. The caterer, Paul Diegl of REAL FOOD, was accommodating, friendly and professional as well as extraordinarily talented. The food was amazing and the service was beautiful and so well done! All of our guests raved about the food - which we knew they would after the tasting. And the flowers were unbelievable. Jenn Pineau of Sugar Magnolia's is so gifted. The flowers were simple, elegant, and almost ethereally beautiful. I cannot explain well enough in words how wonderful the flowers were, and how in all of the weddings I have attended in the last 5 years, these were the best floral arrangements I have ever seen. The value of what we paid for compared to what we received was incredible. This was the most beautiful, elegant and classic wedding site of any I had seen. With the most personal, professional and courteous service! My only complaint (even it is even an actual "complaint" - more like a side-note) is that Elizabeth was very hands-on. I was attempting to be a little DIY with the seating chart, place cards and burlap fabric table runners. She helped cut the fabric and set the table runners, wanted to put out the place cards, arranged the linens and oversaw everything that day. I had not expected this at all, and had arranged for my sisters-in law to come over and take care of it. I felt like I caused Elizabeth stress with her taking all of this on herself and I wish I had communicated better that I was having all of these details taken care of, just a little later. But she seemed to expect to be doing these things and this was just a characteristic of her personal service and attention to detail. The very same characteristic that makes the inn as wonderful as it is. Overall, this was the best experience I could have ever hoped for and if you have your wedding at the Inn at Westwood Farm, you are one lucky bride!!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016

When you see The Inn at Westwood Farm online, you will think that is a lovely place to get married. But when you visit, the home and the grounds are even more impressive. The home is maintained down to the last detail. And the barn is beautiful. But even then you won't... Read More understand what happens when evening strikes the night of your event. The barn becomes a magical place. Elizabeth and Jay provide excellent service and advise both in planning and in execution. Our wedding was magical. Thank you Elizabeth and Jay.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Hannah P

Where do I begin with this review?! Okay, I'll start with what I think would be most helpful to a bride-to-be wondering if this venue is the right one for her... 1.) If you are into natural beauty, trees, foliage, and a pastoral vibe, this is THE venue for you. 2.) If you love... Read More the look of a beautifully kept barn, adorned with fresh flowers or hanging plants, and whimsical bistro lighting all-year-round, this is THE venue for you. 3.) If you love animals and want your guests to be able to interact with REAL LIVE animals who enjoy frolicking around and showboating themselves when your guests arrive, this is THE venue for you. 4.) If you want your guests or you and your husband-to-be to rest your heads in an impeccably pristine inn that has the rustic charm of a farmhouse exterior, with a contemporary yet charming interior, where you'll be served scrumptious and thoughtfully prepared breakfast each morning, then this is THE venue for you. 5.) If you want a primarily outdoor wedding at a venue that includes MUCH of the hardscape necessities and beyond for a reasonable cost, this is THE venue for you. 6.) Above all, and in my opinion most importantly, if you want venue owners who treat you like old friends and go above and beyond to ensure that you and your husband-to-be’s wedding dreams and vision are met with attention to all the small details, as well as ensuring your family and your guests are comfortable and happy, then this is THE venue for you. I found The Inn at Westwood Farm through The Knot, and its yellow farmhouse with the 15 acres of farmland bordered by a lush tree line immediately beckoned me. My husband, mom, grandma, puppy dog, and I visited Westwood for the first time in mid-November. Even though the trees were barren, my family and I became rapidly enamored by Westwood’s character and charm. I have to say that I think its biggest selling point is its owners, Jay and Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a hardworking, witty, charismatic, and warm woman who immediately makes you feel like you’re home and you’re welcome. Throughout the wedding planning process, Elizabeth answered both my inquiries as well as my mother’s inquiries. Elizabeth never made us feel like we were bothering her, imposing, or making outlandish requests. She obliged every single one of our requests and offered valid, mindful advice from start to finish. She never seemed overwhelmed by anything, she always had a calm disposition and a great sense of humor. She was a dream to work with and our wedding would not have been as magical and perfect as we, and all our guests, felt it was without the dedication, support, and collaboration we received from Elizabeth and her amazing husband, Jay. I honestly cannot say enough positive remarks about this couple and about this venue. No words could ever accurately convey just how grateful my husband and I are to Jay and Elizabeth for helping us achieve the wedding of our dreams. I would recommend this venue to any bride-to-be in a heartbeat! My friends and family who stayed at the inn itself on the property are STILL dreamily talking about how they wished they were waking up in their bed at Westwood, where freshly brewed coffee would await them outside their door and the scent of apple-cinnamon French toast would waft in and rouse them from their sleep ;).

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Samantha W

My husband and I were looking for a venue to host both the ceremony and the reception without needing to have to DIY or hire a huge list of sub-vendors; neither of us had a lot of experience with weddings and we did not have a cohesive vision to work with. Elizabeth was the... Read More utmost professional able to answer all our logistical and etiquette questions, provide great recommendations on vendors and details, and give us advice or executive decision making when necessary. She read our needs perfectly and was able to guide us to the right places at the right moments. The barn is a great venue, perfect for our reception of 45, which let us skip hiring a tent. The Inn had tables and chairs for the reception and the ceremony, as well as handled a lot of the detail items like linens, portable restrooms, sound system, and they coordinated other vendors on the day of the wedding. Elizabeth was a pro at catching and presenting all the small details we didn’t think of such as our aisle flowers potentially wilting in the sun and heat because we didn’t have containers for them, the pros and cons of renting a dance floor, and knowing what to worry about and what to let slide. She definitely took charge during the rehearsal and worked through all the steps with us. Every off-beat or odd question or request was met with a “yes, and…” approach in true improv style. I asked them if it was crazy or doable to find a spot to set-up a time lapse camera in the barn; my dad (a semi-pro photographer) worked with Jay on discretely setting it up so we could catch candids and make a time lapse video of the whole reception. He even offered to build a ledge if necessary! We also asked them to host a Sunday brunch as a last hurrah for the wedding party and family, which they were happy to set-up. Ultimately, the biggest pro, and one of the main reasons we went with Westwood, was having the space to ourselves for the weekend. We had both sets of parents and close family friends stay at the Inn starting Friday night and we were able to take our time transferring all the bits, baubles, and flowers for the wedding. Everyone who stayed over raved about the hosts, the rooms, and the feel of the property. On its own, the Inn is a luxurious place to stay. As a wedding venue it was everything we looked for and more than we could have expected.

Reviewed on 6/22/2015 JENNIFER A

My husband and I were married at the Inn during Memorial Day weekend. We originally were planning on a simple courthouse ceremony because I recently moved to the area and don't have many friends/family in the state. While doing some wedding related research, I came across a... Read More website that offered elopement-style weddings at a bed and breakfast. I hadn't heard of this type of thing before, but learned more through more research. My husband and I looked at the websites for several bed and breakfasts that offer such elopement packages, which in essence take care of several wedding details and planning (i.e. officiant, cake, bouquet, etc). We knew this type of package would be perfect for us, because we would still get to have a more traditional type of ceremony, in a beautiful location, but without all the stress of planning a large wedding. Also, because I was planning most of our elopement ceremony while still living in California, being able to plan and research such packages on-line was very important to me. My husband and I decided on the Inn at Westwood Farm for our ceremony because it is not too far from our home in the Northern VA/DC Metro region, and we loved the look of the grounds. Additionally, the Inn at Westwood Farm has a very clear and comprehensive website which also offers on-line booking, so we could easily see date availability. We were also able to plan everything with the Innkeepers just a few months before our actual ceremony. Elizabeth and Jay kept in contact with us throughout the months before our wedding to make sure our special day would include everything we wanted. I appreciated that our communication was always prompt, clear, and professional. Our elopement ceremony was very romantic and intimate, and the backdrop of the beautiful grounds of the Inn made for the most beautiful photographs. The details of our ceremony were executed exactly the way we planned, and we had every more fun during our wedding than we planned. We are so lucky that we can say we were able to plan a stress-free wedding, and that wouldn't have been possible without Elizabeth and Jay's help arranging many of the important details for us. The grounds of the Inn are simply spectacular, and we got so lucky to have the most perfect weather for our wedding day. Our room (404) was very comfortable, and the blue walls created such a relaxing and romantic atmosphere. Every bite of food we ate was scrumptious- from the gourmet breakfast served every morning, to the carefully crafted picnic basket we enjoyed at a nearby winery. I'm a woman with an strong appreciation for attention-to-detail, and the Inn went above and beyond meeting and anticipating all of our needs. I can't thank Elizabeth and Jay enough for arranging and accommodating all requests for our elopement, and for making my wedding a wonderful experience that I will always remember with much joy. Without such gracious hosts, our time at the Inn would not have been what it was.

Exceeded all Expectations!

Reviewed on 11/19/2014

When we started planning our wedding we had a blank slate to work with in terms of "where", anywhere between New Jersey and North Carolina would have worked, but when we visited the Inn at Westwood Farm we immediately knew it was the perfect place for us. The Inn and the... Read More grounds are beautiful with a perfect red barn that gives it a truly rustic feel, not to mention the cutest donkey ever, who was a huge hit at our wedding! I don't know how we could have executed the wedding without all the help from Elizabeth and Jay, the innkeepers! They really go above and beyond to make sure everything is perfect. Elizabeth is unbelievably organized and thinks about every detail of the day. There were numerous things I never would have thought of, but she was on top of everything! By the end, Elizabeth and Jay felt like dear friends, and they treated us the same. I also loved that my family was able to stay in the 4 room inn. It was the perfect size for us. It would also be great for the bridal party, but I thoroughly enjoyed the extra family time over delicious breakfasts! Our guests could not stop talking about how beautiful the location was and marveling at how we managed to find such a perfect place! Our wedding day could not have been more perfect, and much of that is thanks to the location and hard work of Elizabeth and Jay!

DC does Inn at Westwood Farm

Reviewed on 10/02/2014 Katie S

From the moment my husband-to-be and I stepped on the property, we knew the Inn at Westwood Farm was going to house all of the memories from our wedding day. The innkeepers, Jay and Elizabeth, were welcoming, joyful, and confident they could help us plan the weekend of a... Read More lifetime. Their property is beautifully maintained with sunflowers, shady trees, and the perfect red barn that tickled our photographer's fancy. We were fortunate to have just enough space to invite our brothers and sister to stay with us at the inn for the weekend. Breakfast with my bridesmaids & mother on Saturday morning was superb. As a bride, I was thankful that my bridesmaids were allowed to take over the second floor of the Inn to prep ourselves and bond one last time before I walked down the aisle. Elizabeth was thorough and fantastic with details while Jay went with the flow, happily following through with each of our requests. The weekend we spent this past summer at the Inn is truly cherished. Our guests loved the ambiance. From the chickens, to the donkey, to the barn & sunflowers, everyone took advantage of the natural beauty of the farm. Our photographers are eager to come back! We loved every moment we spent at the Inn at Westwood Farm and are happy to now call Jay & Elizabeth our friends. We look forward to returning for our future anniversaries and weekend retreats from the city.

Elizabeth Goeke

After my career in the women's athletic apparel industry, my husband and I opened the Inn at Westwood Farm. This was my second career dream. I love being an innkeeper, planning events, and working with couples as they plan their rehearsal party & wedding celebration. Our property is suitable for many styles of weddings, we are extremely flexible on how the property and Barn at Westwood are used. We only ask that you are respectful of landscape and the environment. We pride ourselves on the details and assisting you in the wedding celebration you desire. We look foward to hearing from you!