JAS Productions- DJ/MC, Ceremony Sound and Lighting

Serving So. California

After Party, Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Planning, Equipment, Rentals + Equipment

Serving So. California

Spectacular DJ!

Reviewed on 11/03/2014 Stephanie B

Justin Stern was an amazing DJ. He's low-key, doesn't try to dominate the mic with jokes or an act, he just does his job, and he does it damn well. We had a video screen playing a slideshow of all the photos guests had uploaded to our Wedding App, and he noticed that it didn't... Read More loop, so he had his assistant be on the look-out and restart the show every hour or so when we ran out of pictures. Day-of, we had to move the cake table, and without anyone asking him, he just installed an uplight behind the cake, and it looked great. He really understands weddings. It's clear from the beginning that he's a professional who has been doing this for a long time. His packages are extremely reasonable, and he is probably the nicest person I worked with during wedding planning. He is polite and thoughtful, and asks questions about the age range of the guest list, what "style" our guest list is (ragers? ravers? ballroom dancers?) to make suggestions about not just the music, but the entire flow of the day to make your wedding spectacular. We very strongly would recommend Justin to any couple that's looking to hire a DJ for the wedding.

Best DJ and DOC services a bride could ask for!

Reviewed on 8/17/2015 Micha N

We used JAS as both our DJ and Day of Coordinator and our reviews for both services are below - to sum it up though, Karen and Justin are amazing professionals in the wedding industry and really made our wedding day as perfect as could be! Justin (DJ) was probably our most... Read More essential vendor in terms of making sure the reception was exactly what we wanted, which was a huge dance party, and he delivered in spades. Leading up to our reception Justin was thorough in communicating with us about what our preferences were for the music during the reception. He allowed us to submit countless example songs through his immensely helpful online portal. Justin provides a detailed planning sheet allowing you to customize all the music for the special moments during your reception – from the introduction to your final song on the dance floor and everything in between. Most importantly, though, he took our suggestions and created a soundtrack that could not have beaten. We had what we later found out was a longer than average reception (appx. 6 hours) and we did not do the usual bouquet/garter toss or games in between, which meant that Justin was heavily leaned on to entertain our guests. His musical selections built through the night to end in a high energy dance party despite the long day. Justin’s skill really rests on his ability to mix music seamlessly and listen to his clients to create the experience they want. We were particularly adamant that we wanted upbeat music with minimal interruptions or directions from the DJ and Justin went above and beyond to deliver just that. He also did all of this at a venue that is known for having strict sound regulations, which he took great care to adhere to, while still making sure our dance floor stayed full. We could not be happier with Justin’s services and recommend him highly for any of your Santa Barbara area parties. Karen (DOC) - When we began planning our wedding we didn’t think we would need any help, but planning a Santa Barbara wedding from New York quickly proved to need an insider’s knowledge. Karen was the perfect liaison. Despite being hired as a “day of” coordinator, I spoke to Karen more than any of our other vendors in the months leading up to our wedding. She was organized with our vendors and helped get everyone set up on an efficient timeline for the day of. Karen accounted for details I never would have thought to plan out (i.e. who was getting me to our ceremony – to which my answer was whoever is around, until I realized I actually needed a better plan), which ensured that our wedding day was stress free. It was such a relief to have someone on hand on our wedding day who knew exactly what we envisioned and was on site to make sure it was executed when we couldn’t be. This included Karen taking all of our extra handcrafted décor up to our reception site and placing it in the designated areas when we couldn’t be there (i.e. signs, centerpieces, lawn games etc.). Karen made sure I didn’t have to answer a single question on my wedding day and that is the greatest gift anyone can give a bride. Aside from managing our day, she also made sure we were taken care of – including making sure there were extra cupcakes for us at the end of the night (not an easy feat!). Karen was an absolute joy to work with and we truly had the perfect wedding day because of her. Karen is the master of professionalism, efficiency, organization, and thoughtfulness in the wedding world.

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Kristie C

From beginning to end, Justin was a pleasure to work with. The whole experience was top notch! He’s very responsive and he made himself available to chat by phone several times before the wedding to discuss our preferences and get a better feel for the type of music we wanted to... Read More hear. Justin also has an online portal that makes it very easy to create a playlist and timeline for your event. JAS Productions offers great services at a competitive price and I would highly recommend him for any wedding!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Shannon S

Hiring Justin to DJ our outdoor wedding earlier this month was probably the best decision we made throughout the planning process. From our very first FaceTime meeting, Justin’s organizational skills, professionalism, expertise and passion for his craft were clear. He instilled... Read More a certain confidence in us and was more than willing to accommodate any and all requests. I was a pretty hands-off bride, but Justin was great about emailing and calling periodically in the months prior to the event to make sure everything from the entertainment side was in order. On the day of our wedding, Justin exceeded our already high expectations! The ceremony sound quality was flawless, the uplighting was beautiful, and most importantly Justin had our guests on the dance floor the entire night. Aside from a handful of must-play songs, we let Justin choose the music – his selections, timing and transitions were perfect. I am still getting complements on his work from our guests! Justin was truly a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend him for any event. Thank you, Justin!

Reviewed on 8/16/2016 Corinne A

So, I just got married in an area just outside of Lompoc, CA, just an hour north of Santa Barbara. Because my wife and I are from Reno, we were a little nervous about our ability to book good vendors from afar. This was particularly stressful decision when deciding on a DJ, as... Read More good music is the cornerstone to setting the atmosphere you want at any wedding. That being said, I could not be happier with the service Justin (aka DJ JAS) offered us. Why should you trust me? - I have made and listened to music for most of my life. - I am an avid listener of EDM (i.e. House, Trance, etc). and know my DJ's well. - I consider myself an "audiophile" (I know, I'm one of THOSE people). - I am receiving zero compensation for this review, and am taking the time to write this because I really want others to benefit from his DJ service. I won't bore you with several long paragraphs of why you should go with him, but I will give you a list of things he did exceptionally well for our wedding. Pros: -His mixing skills are the best I have heard, hands down. -He really knows how to read a crowd to keep them dancing. Even some people that I have never known to dance did so at our wedding. -After hearing the mixes he put together for our wedding, it is clear he keeps up to date on the latest music, even the lesser known bands. -If you need him to be (we did), he is an excellent MC. No awkward announcements or missed cues. -He triple checks all the music, order of events, etc. There wasn't a single event he missed, and everything was done exactly how we wanted it. -He was able to predict where problems may occur in terms of timing of events, and as a result we were able to avoid them. This kind of expertise alone should make you hire him. -Excellent people person. He knows how to get along with anyone (there were a few difficult personalities he had to contend with). -He is extremely flexible, and will do just about anything humanly possible to make sure your wedding happens flawlessly. Cons: -After thinking really hard, I cannot come up with anything he could have done better. If you're getting married an are looking for an unparalleled DJ in the Santa Barbara area, you should definitely go with DJ JAS. You won't ever regret it. Disclaimer: I posted this same review to a few other sites because my wife and I were so happy with how well he did!

Reviewed on 8/09/2016

Working with JAS Productions for our wedding was the best decision I made after proposing to my wife. Our celebration was not a typical wedding, and demanded an exceptional DJ and a company to work with in order to meet our expectations. Justin delivered beyond what we even... Read More imagined. Living far away from SoCal, we had many phone calls and hangout sessions with Justin. He was meticulous, organized and worked diligently with us leading up to the wedding day. On the day of the wedding, JAS team was the first one to arrive. For our ceremony on a windy beach, his mic-speaker system worked perfectly- the aisle song, the officiant voice, our wows were all crisp and clear. Indoors, he was on point every time for setting the mood of the reception, dinner and the dance floor with great music and beautiful up-lights. Our international crowd partied on the dance floor for hours, everyone had fantastic time. There were many little things that went wrong with the services we received from the caterer and the wedding venue. On JAS's side, everything was perfect, from the start 'til the end of the night. If everyone in wedding business were as professional as Justin, all weddings would be flawless. We highly recommend his services.

Reviewed on 5/30/2016

Justin was amazing and managed to exceed our high expectations. Our guests have since told us that the music at our wedding was the best they have ever experienced and, of course, that is largely due to Justin. He mixed, mashed and scratched throughout the night and knew just... Read More when to change songs. The dance floor was packed the entire night. In the lead up to the wedding, Justin was very understanding of our difficult schedules and remained patient throughout the entire process. I can't wait to schedule Justin to spin at all our of parties moving forward....

Reviewed on 4/28/2016 Rachel S

We just worked with Justin for our March 20th wedding and he was fantastic! He really cared to make sure we got exactly what we wanted for our big day. He was responsive and very helpful with suggestions regarding certain dances as well as adding some uplighting to really make... Read More our venue beautiful. He worked within our budget which was very helpful as we were a little tight on money. My only suggestion would be a little more user friendly website. The fact that he has one is great - just seems like it could save a little easier and be a little more updated. I would recommend him to everyone I know getting married in LA!

A true professional!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015

My husband and I hired Justin for our intimate outdoor wedding this past July. Since the location of our reception was in close proximity to the hotel guest rooms, we had to deal with many venue rules and regulations, including strict limitations on music volume. Despite these... Read More challenges, Justin was an absolute professional from the start - and a good communicator. Justin proactively worked with the hotel staff to make sure his set up was in compliance. In some respects, having Justin on board felt like having an additional wedding coordinator. He was that concerned about details! :-) What I appreciated most about Justin was that he never made any assumptions or guesswork about what we wanted. He asked several questions which in turn educated me about how much thought goes into being a DJ. It's no an easy job! We spent a good deal of time on the phone to ensure that the music selections, down to the second, were right on point. He let us control the playlist from start to finish. If you want to be the key decision maker in your own wedding and you care about getting it right, Justin is your guy. I have to admit that I used to stereotype DJ's, and not in a good way. Justin exceeded our expectations.

Best Wedding DJ

Reviewed on 10/02/2015

Justin was the DJ for our wedding this past Labor Day weekend, and he did a fantastic job. He is very professional and has lots of experience DJ'ing at weddings, so he was super easy to work with. We wanted someone that would give us some guidance on how things are supposed to... Read More work and flow at a wedding, and he ended up sitting in on our meeting with the wedding coordinator, which was very helpful because he provided lots of useful tips that helped us with planning the whole wedding. He was easy to talk to and always available to discuss things both over the phone and when we met him at the venue. He was flexible with filling in the blanks when we were too overwhelmed with planning to address every little detail, but he was also very accommodating with meeting all our preferences and requests. His online website was also easy to navigate, and it really simplified choosing our music and coordination. He also did a great job with the acoustics for the ceremony, and all our guests were able to hear the Rabbi clearly at our outdoor venue. Everyone at our wedding said they had a great time, and there were a lot of people dancing. Overall, we couldn't have had a better DJ for our wedding, and he charged a fair price for his services. Thanks Justin!

Excellent!

Reviewed on 8/11/2015

Karen Dicks (Coordinator) In one of California worst droughts in the history of the state the sky falls in a lightning and thunder show at the exact hour that our ceremony was to begin. Karen was absolutely wonderful and really kept everything together when the weather... Read More didn't.  We would not have made it through the day with out her help and guidance!! The only regret is we never got one photo with her! Thank you Karen for doing THE MOST amazing job ever, both before, during and after the wedding!!!  We love you and think you are just so exceptional.  You made our ideas and thoughts come to fruition the day of the wedding.  And we cannot thank you enough for all your time, patience, and perfect handling of the rain the day of the wedding. We were looking for a day of coordinator but got so much more working with Karen. She is phenomenal in so many ways!

JAS Productions was awesome!

Reviewed on 3/16/2015 Laura R

We were married last September at the Granada Theatre in Santa Barbara and choosing JAS Productions as our DJ and Day-of Coordinator was one of the best wedding decisions we made! Justin and Karen were a dynamic duo and their invaluable recommendations and attention to detail... Read More were essential in our planning, especially from our home across the country in New York City. From our first meeting, Justin and Karen were always helpful and available to answer questions even working with our 3-hour time difference to have FaceTime meetings to work through the many details. As our DJ and MC, Justin made the process of choosing songs easy and streamlined through his website. On our wedding day, he kept the reception flowing with great song mixes and entertained our 100+ guests. When there was a miscommunication with our lighting, he came through and provided the perfect uplight scheme just days before the wedding. As our coordinator, Karen brought so much insight and asked all of the important questions for us to consider in building our timeline. Her professionalism and organization kept the day on track and diffused all issues. When a live-music vendor didn't deliver their promised services and started to make a scene, she absolutely handled the situation and quickly came up with an alternative so seamlessly that we had no idea. We were so thrilled with JAS Productions and highly recommend them for anyone looking for a DJ and Coordinator who truly care and deliver everything they promise. -Brett and Laura Rigby

Fantastic DJ!

Reviewed on 11/25/2014 Erin C

I can't say enough about JAS productions. Justin was fantastic to work with. So professional, and covered every detail, no matter how small or large. He truly is a fantastic DJ, and really knows how to read a crowd. We gave him just a general guideline of music that we enjoy,... Read More and like to listen to, and he not only played the songs we recommended, but also played other songs that he knew would fit the crowd all through the night. He arrived early, and started setting up, and was right on point the entire time. We had a family friend who was doing our day of coordination, and in addition Justin provided feedback on our wedding timeline and gave us pointers of how we could tweak our timeline to make it all work out the best. And he was spot on! We are in San Diego, and he took the time to meet with us before the wedding to talk about all of our needs and get to know us as a couple. I couldn't recommend Justin and his team enough. If you want a no hassle, easy to work with individual with a high attention to detail - Justin is your guy. If we didn't already have a wedding coordinator, we would have used him for that as well. In addition, his prices were perfect - we had other company's who tried to lump us in to a specific package, of a certain amount of hours. Instead, Justin catered our pricing package to our needs, and ending up being much less than other competitors we had spoken to. Thanks Justin for making our event so memorable, and throwing such a great party!!

Amazing DJ

Reviewed on 11/10/2014 Kristin M

Justin from JAS Productions is awesome, we let him choose all of the music for our wedding and it was perfect, everyone was dancing all night and there was never an empty dance floor. He also provided ceremony and cocktail hour sound which sounded great and worked with us and... Read More our guitarist who provided the ceremony music. I would recommend him for any event you are having, he is super easy to get into contact with and his flat rate makes it easy to understand what you are getting. I loved working with Justin and would work with him again if I need a dj.

Best.DJ.Ever

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Cameron G

Music and dancing were the number one thing that we cared about at our wedding, so we had very high expectations…from the moment we first connected with Justin through to our wedding night, he topped them all. He was the most pro-active and detail-oriented of all our vendors,... Read More and we were so grateful to have him on our side throughout the process. We were super picky about music and selected more than our fair share of songs, and Justin was very understanding and played all the jams we requested and more. He knew how to read the crowd and give everyone what they wanted, and mixed all the songs perfectly while sticking to our requested genres. Our wedding was at a house in a residential neighborhood where one of our biggest fears was getting shut-down earlier than we wanted because of a noise complaint…Justin said not to worry about a thing, and was able to adjust the sound and direction of the speakers so that there were no noise complaints without compromising the sound on the dance floor. We even went later than originally expected, and Justin and his amazing assistant stuck around and played awesome jams until everyone was danced-out. Easily one of the best dance parties we’ve ever had, and we know our dance parties! Thank you Justin!

Fantastic DJ

Reviewed on 4/16/2014 Maggie H

Justin was a dream to work with! He was prompt, professional, and always on top of everything during the planning process and on the day he was patient and helped move the night along and keep the energy up! The sound during the ceremony was fantastic for the outdoor ceremony -... Read More everyone was able to hear and his speakers are so thin and tiny, they don't obstruct anyone's view or make the wedding look like a rock concert, ha! He picked fantastic jazz music for the dinner and when it was time to dance, he stuck to the music I picked on his planning website and it was a HIT! (we played oldies only and everybody LOVED it! When everybody knows every word to the songs, it helps get more people on the dance floor!). His online planning form was user friendly and Justin and his assistant were so sweet on the day - he even came and gave me a hug before we had our sendoff :) Thank you Justin - you helped make that day a fairy tale for us!

JAS Productions

Reviewed on 2/24/2014 Kara M

My husband and I were very pleased with Justin's high level of professionalism and skill. Justin is easy to work with and is very good at what he does. Highly recommended!!!

JAS Productions is AMAZING!

Reviewed on 11/25/2013 Andrea D

If you have the opportunity to work with Justin... do it! My husband and I recently got married in Santa Barbara and we are very happy with our decision to have Justin be our DJ. Justin went above and beyond to make sure everything went as planned! He had helpful suggestions and... Read More was always responsive to our questions. We do not live in the area, but we were able to work with Justin without any flaws, communicating with him over the phone. His online system for planning the timing of the wedding, picking songs, researching his services is the perfect tool! Justin was our DJ for the entire event, the ceremony as well as the reception. Justin was able to read the crowd and play songs that were appropriate to each part of the ceremony and reception. He was also able to find a balance between music that our older and younger guests could dance to in a way that flowed! He was also EXTREMELY helpful in making and playing a video of toasts that my maid of honor put together. Justin was a great DJ and I would definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a DJ in the Santa Barbara area.

Dope DJ

Reviewed on 11/17/2013 Nikki R

We highly recommend JAS Productions! Justin tailored our BIG DAY with a variety of great jams and background music. He was very professional from beginning to end. His rates are insanely competitive considering the length of time you need a DJ at a wedding. He responds quick to... Read More questions which puts a bride at ease ;) He executed the wedding timeline to the tee. If your looking for an amazing DJ for any event, we highly recommend you give Justin a call. Steve and Nikki

An Amazing DJ and Day of Coordinator

Reviewed on 7/12/2013 Caitlin P

Justin and Karen were both amazing on our wedding day! I got married in October 2012 at McCormick Home Ranch in Camarillo, CA. When researching DJ's, Justin was easy to get in touch with, and answered all of my questions in detail. His rates were very competitive, especially... Read More given the equipment (Bose speakers) and length of the wedding. I had been on the fence about hiring Karen as the day of coordinator just because i thought someone in my family could handle it, and i couldn't be more happy that i did end up having her coordinate the day of! She and Justin helped to plan out the timeline of the entire wedding and were open to any changes or customizations we wanted. Karen created a day-of timeline that she distributed to all of my vendors, making that whole process smooth and wonderful! it was one less thing to have to worry about, and I'm so glad i had her there to make sure everything was arriving and being set up on time and to the plan i had shared with her. it was also so nice to let my family, who had already put so much time and effort into the wedding, really just enjoy the day and not be wrangling vendors or members of the wedding party. it was one of the decisions i really didn't think would be that big of a deal, but it made the whole day go by seamlessly and it was one of the best investments of the day. Justin's online music planning made the process so easy, and my husband and i could both login and enter the music we wanted. We also did want some songs that weren't in his already extensive catalog, but no problem! we sent the artists and titles to Justin and he had things ready to go. We had hired a live musician to play during our cocktail reception, and Justin was very accommodating of this, and there was a completely smooth transition from the live music to Justin starting and getting all the guests to move to another portion of the venue. Once things got started, it was all so smooth! Justin and Karen made sure to double check all the name pronunciations (lots of weird last names in my family!), and everyone was announced and ushered into the wedding in a fun and exciting way. the sound was perfect--not too loud, not too quiet-- and Justin did a masterful job of starting off the night with fun songs that guests of all ages would like, and then transitioning into the more modern top 40 and R&B music that is more my husband's and my style as the party got later. All of the music was mixed so well. There was no scratchy DJing...it was songs masterfully layered on top of each other to transition from song to song, and just a really fantastic variety of tunes to keep everyone happy. i danced all night long, and all of the photos show everyone having the time of their lives! I have had so many guests come to us and tell us it was the most fun they have ever had at a wedding, and a lot of that is because Justin made sure to keep the dance floor packed and the music bumping. Also, Justin and Karen made sure to announce all the different special parts of the wedding and made sure my husband and i were where we were supposed to be so there wasn't a lag in the event. Overall, I cannot recommend Jas Productions more. An amazing team who made our wedding day one we'll remember forever!

Very responsible and efficient DJ

Reviewed on 6/16/2013 Galadriel S

Justin was very easy to work with, understood our direction and took his job seriously. He is a consumate professional and loves DJ'ing (it seems.) He is not in the business of cutting deals and charges for every light and upgrade we requested but he did a great job so we were... Read More OK with paying him. He got all the song requests right and even played a special request for the groom's mom, but knew when to say no when odd requests were made. Would recommend him to others, especially if planning a destination wedding where you want your DJ to really take the lead.

Justin rocked our world!

Reviewed on 11/06/2012 Casey M

We absolutely loved Justin and his team. They provided ceremony sound, up-lighting, and reception DJ services. We got rained on and they were completely flexible and ready and willing to change our entire set up last minute. He played great music, and none of those completely... Read More lame wedding "games". He kept our reception moving right along and didn't hesitate to come up and ask my groom and I want we wanted and totally let me give him the signal when I was done dancing with my dad. Great job! Love his personality and his style.

Dj for my wedding

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Heather N

Justin was an awesome DJ. I highly recommend him to anyone. The dance floor at our wedding was packed all night long. Everyone told us he was amazing!!! He also did lighting at our wedding as well which was great.

Made the reception awesome!

Reviewed on 8/27/2012 Baoqing Z

The team has a no-nonsense competence that does not need to express itself in making the DJ the center of attention. Justin will MC the event, but not take over, and that's only part of what we loved about him. His transitions of our song requests were flawless. We couldn't even... Read More tell that the song was changing until the new one had started. The order of music was so expertly done that the dance floor was never sparse. He also respected all our wishes for the styles and placement of music. The lighting was dynamic and beautiful, and the equipment was top-notch. Also, he does not overcharge! Great DJ!

JAS Productions Rocks!!

Reviewed on 7/11/2012 Carin M

We couldn't have asked for a better DJ for our wedding. The music throughout the entire event was fantastic. Sound quality was flawless and the vibe was awesome. They also set up some beautiful lighting in our reception hall. Justin and Karen were such a pleasure to work... Read More with throughout the day. They were friendly, professional, and they are good at what they do. JAS Productions website made my life so much easier as a bride. They have a wide selection of songs to choose from, it allowed us to create a timeline, gave us song suggestions, and you can make custom requests too. The music was an extremely important part of the wedding for us and we felt completely at ease having JAS Productions run the night. They went above and beyond our expectations.

Justin Stern

For over a decade, DJ JAS has been providing the highest quality musical entertainment to a variety of crowds. His ability to feel out a crowd within seconds sets him apart from other DJs, always paying the right track at the right time! DJ JAS chooses not to label himself as a particular type of DJ, as he has the ability to uniquely mix different musical genres. This ability, which includes mixing Top40/Hip-Hop, Rock, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, & Dance music, creates a sensation that any crowd can appreciate, regardless of age.