Detroit, Ann Arbor, and just about anywhere

Jay is an award winning, nationally-recognized photographer who is creative and fun. He blends traditional and photojournalistic styles and he loves to capture the emotion of your day.

Artistic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Wedding Albums, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Ann Arbor, Detroit, just about anywhere (248) 613-1109

Reviewed on 1/05/2017 Yang Y

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... and in the case of Jay Dreifus Photography, they would be right. Our wedding was in August of 2016 and we originally came across Jay's info during a search online. We were so impressed by Jay's sample photos that we decided to... Read More reach out to him immediately to set up a meeting in person. Whether it is through phone, email, text, or in person, communicating with Jay is a breeze and pleasure, for he responds quickly, listens attentively, and acknowledges appropriately. If the online sample photos weren't enough, meeting with Jay in person and seeing his meticulously crafted albums sealed the deal for us... and we haven't even looked for a second vendor yet. Unbeknownst to us at that time, Jay's ability to shoot amazing works of art was only part of the wonderful experience with him. It turns out he is extremely passionate about what he does and this showed during every one of our interactions. His endless amount of energy, ability to interpret and understand our thoughts, and keen eye for an excellent pose have all the right ingredients for a star photographer. He once told us that once he starts taking photos he just can't stop, and usually it's the couple who gets tired of shooting first... he was not proven wrong. Furthermore, he and his wife Kathy make a sweet and wonderful duo who made us feel at ease the minute we met them, an important aspect considering comfort and relaxation bring out the best Kodak moments. On our wedding day, it rained but Jay's ability to capture awe-inspiring photos under any circumstances is truly amazing. We had full confidence in his abilities and knew the photos would look magical even if hail was coming down. Weddings are such hectic days on which so many things are happening at once, some unforeseen, and we are ecstatic that we chose Jay, who turned out to be one of the constant elements during our magical day that we could count on.

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Carolyn H

Jay and his wife Kathy did our wedding pictures (July 2nd, 2016) and our engagement pictures in April 2016. I had looked for awhile for a photographer, and Jay's albums were so bright, elegant, professional looking, and really seemed to capture the special moments. I am so happy... Read More we chose him to photograph the best day of our lives! He and Kathy are fun, positive, full of great ideas, and work well together. We had a great time, and the pictures were well worth it. I love every single one of them, and looking back through the albums feels like re-living our wedding day. If you are looking for a photographer, you have found the best one! Thanks again Jay and Kathy :)

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Mallory M

Jay and his wife Kathy work so wonderfully together! It was amazing to have a photography team that are focused on different aspects of the picture. Jay tends to focus on the lighting and background, while Kathy fixes any small details that might be out of place. We are so in... Read More love with our photos, and had a lot of fun taking them. While I love the formal family portraits that we took, what I love even more are the candid, natural moments that Jay was able to capture. Everything turned out beautifully and we couldn't be happier with the way they turned out.

Reviewed on 8/01/2017 Donald M

Jay provided an outstanding photojournalistic approach to our wedding. From the first time we met Jay and his wife, it was clear that he and Kathy were the perfect team to capture the emotion and experience of our wedding. Jay was extremely responsive and thoughtful throughout... Read More the process and it was truly a joy having him capture our wedding. Thank you!

Reviewed on 2/27/2017

Jay and his wife were fantastic to work with! They made me and my bridal party feel completely comfortable (this is a big deal with the combination of the nerves and the long day). When looking for a photographer my husbands and my main concern was that taking too many pictures... Read More would take away from the wedding sacrament. This was not the case! Sometimes we would forget photographs were being taken! Such an incredible experience!

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Jaclyn B

Jay and Kathy were great to work with! I have been a bridesmaid a few times and hands down, they are the best! They both create a relaxed, fun, and pleasant atmosphere. They accommodated my husband, my family, my bridal party, and me. The pictures are some of the best wedding... Read More shots we have ever seen. I can't imagine my wedding without them there capturing the special moments. I would completely recommend them. Thank you, Jay and Kathy, for all of your work! We love you!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Gabriele K

Jay and his wife helped make our day amazing! We just love our pictures. My husband didn't want engagement photos, but I did, and I'm so glad Jay helped gently encourage us to get them. They turned out beautifully, but also it gave us a chance to get comfortable having our... Read More picture taken with them. On our wedding day it felt natural that they were there. We were so happy at how quickly we received our photos--Jay really is committed! He and his wife make a wonderful team that's easy to work with and be around. We're so happy we found them!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Gabriele K

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Ashley T

Jay was great!

Reviewed on 8/22/2016

If you're looking for a photographer who is extremely flexible, talented, and easy going then Jay is your guy! He did a fantastic job with our engagement session and our wedding day photographs. I am so thrilled with how each and every photo turned out and I would recommend... Read More Jay for any event you wish photographed!

Reviewed on 8/19/2016

Jay and his wife Kathy were absolutely delightful. They were both so professional but personable and made the entire experience a delight. My fiance hired Jay to shoot our proposal and the pictures we got were more amazing than anything I could have wanted. He takes the time to... Read More know what you want, offers up his professional opinion, and overall makes you look like the best version of yourself. I would absolutely recommend him to all of my friends knowing that they would be in such great hands.

Reviewed on 7/10/2016 Lauren N

I would highly recommend Jay to capture your special day. He is so personable and it feels like a family member is there not a stranger. He is very accurate and pays attention to the details. We couldn't be more happy with the quality of our pictures and the service from Jay and... Read More his assistant Kathy. They are simply the best!

Reviewed on 5/25/2016 Aimee M

Jay is a very talented, driven, and hard working professional. His tireless work ethic really showcases on your wedding day. He is always prepared and thinks of new ideas on the spot to make your images remarkable. His assistant who is also his wife, Kathy, is as sweet and fun... Read More as can be! They are a great team who are always in sync with each other, and you can really feel their love and passion for photography by just being around them. They are both VERY personable, stress-free, and comfortable to be around. I first found Jay on theknot and fell in love with his photojournalistic style. His images didn't just capture a pose, but rather froze a single moment. Your personalities will be displayed in your pictures without a videographer even being needed which is so unique and amazing. Besides Jay's emotion catching style, two words came to me with his editing style, "clear" and "crisp." I really don't know any other way to explain it but his images have a classic and timeless look that I just love! He also makes a handful of images black and white which is really great for variety as some look better in black and white than color. You will receive all of your wedding photos, not just "some" or "choose 20" like some other photographers do. He is very quick to get all your pictures back to you (mine took 1-2 weeks) as some photographers will take 6-10 weeks- impressive! Another great thing about Jay is you will see a lot of photographers start their price at "4 or 5 hours" of coverage a day. Jay begins at 8 hours.. and you can purchase up from there. There aren't a lot of photographers that give you that much coverage to begin with! It is awesome because that will at least cover the most important parts of your wedding day. It is also a benefit that he is has custom built packages, so he can cater to your needs, wants, and desires. An example is my husband and I already had our engagement pictures taken before we met Jay, so instead of having an hour for an engagement session, he gave us an extra hour on our wedding day. :-) Communication wise Jay is fabulous! He is quick to answer e-mails within a reasonable time and available for any questions you have regarding any of his services or final products. He will give you detailed answers and is extremely polite. He even was so nice enough to show me what an image looked like in both color and black and white so my husband and I could decide what looks better to hang over our fireplace. If you are considering hiring Jay, do it now! I booked him over a year in advance because I did NOT want my day to be taken. You will not be disappointed; he is worth every.single.penny! Thank you Jay and Cathy; it was such a pleasure!! -Aimee & Mike

Reviewed on 5/19/2016 Alex C

Jay and his wife Kathy exceeded our expectations. My now husband and I had a very hard time choosing a photographer given that we had a lower budget and I am artsy and critical of photography and just couldn't seem to find someone in our price point who also had great... Read More photography skills. So happy that we found Jay Dreifus Photography- Just by looking at his photos you can tell that Jay has an excellent eye for photography. I would say his style is photo-journalistic with lots of great candids that really showed our emotions. His wife Kathy comes along with him and helps setting up shots and making sure everyone looks great with their poses and such. It was such an excellent value for what we paid to have them both on hand the entire day! Not only did they both show up early, they braved the unexpected rain that happened and still managed to capture so many great images. I remember at one point during the day we were standing under a covered porch with the wedding party all dry posing for photos and was Jay out there in the rain, being an absolute trooper! Jay and Kathy are both lovely people who are great at their work, and you can tell they really enjoy it. Absolutely 100% worth their reasonable price point.

Amazing Photographer!

Reviewed on 12/01/2015 Ashleigh B

Jay and his wife, Kathy, were both such a pleasure to work with! Jay did our engagement and wedding photos and I couldn’t be more pleased with the whole experience. We were able to include my husband’s 5 year old son in our engagement pictures and Jay and Kathy were so... Read More fantastic with him that he had a great time in a situation he could have been easily bored with. Jay really provides personalized attention; he even provided me contacts for hair stylists/make-up artists that came highly recommended. Our wedding photographs are unique, creative and really capture everyone’s emotions throughout the day. Jay took beautiful photos that really reflect the beautiful day we had. Jay was incredibly professional, knowledgeable and always available for questions or suggestions. He was always early, very patient and truly has an eye for really capturing the magic moments throughout the day. Also, thanks to Jay’s creative use of social media, we were able to view some of our wedding photos as early as on our honeymoon. What a great surprise! We can’t say enough nice things about Jay and would absolutely recommend Jay for everyone’s special day

Wedding Photos

Reviewed on 9/07/2015 Vicki T

Jay did an outstanding job with my wedding photos. He was hard working (even in the heat) and was even laying on the ground to get the best photos. Kathy was a great addition too! My professional photos were done in a very timely manner as well. I would recommend Jay to anyone.... Read More He offers great work at an affordable price! Thanks again Jay and Kathy....our photos will be a lifelong memory for us!

Jay Dreifus is Amazing!

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Brenda Z

Jay and his wife Kathy are such an amazing photography team! I could not have chosen a better photographer for our wedding! They come up with the most creative, beautiful shots. Everyone was so impressed by the quality of the photos.In fact, I've had people contact me after... Read More seeing the photos posted on Facebook wanting to hire him! That all being said, the greatest thing about having Jay and Kathy at the wedding? It was like having good friends celebrating with us, who also happen to be an incredible photography team. They are the best!

Wedding Day Photographer

Reviewed on 6/23/2015

We worked with Jay on our engagement pictures, rehearsal, and Wedding Day and we would definitely book him again in the future. His quality of work is professional and we will cherish the pictures for years to come!

Wonderful

Reviewed on 1/18/2015 Trang N

Jay did an outstanding job for my wedding. The pictures came out perfectly and he treated my husband and I with upmost respect. After the wedding he responded to our needs and did a terrific job at perfecting our pictures. He went the extra mile and the result was great.... Read More Everything turned out amazing !

Perfect Photography for a perfect day!

Reviewed on 12/29/2014 Nicholas W

Jay did an amazing job photographing our wedding. He is courteous and treats you with the upmost respect. He is a professional and knows when to take quality pictures. It was a special day for my wife and I and jay captured the true magic of the day. He did an amazing job of... Read More capturing moments that most photographers don't catch. He has an eye for the business and you can tell by the finished product. I'd recommend Jay for anyone!

Jay Dreifus was Awesome!

Reviewed on 12/01/2014 JASON H

We were referred to Jay through a previous wedding reception he had captured in which I was the best man. The photos from this wedding were great, and we asked him to capture our special day. Jay was beyond professional. We booked him for our engagement photos and... Read More wedding. He was on time, listened to our every request, and also suggested shots that would look great. Jay was easy to communicate with via e-mail for any small or large questions we had about our engagement and wedding photos. I would recommend Jay to anyone getting married. We took our engagement photos at the Guardian Building in Detroit and our wedding was at the Royal Oak Farmers Market. Both locations were more on the unique side, but Jay did not have any problems adapting. Overall, Our experience was five stars! We had zero complaints and our pictures turned out spectacular!

Phenomenal Photographer!!!

Reviewed on 11/30/2014

Jay was fantastic! He was very easy to work with, was professional, and he always responded promptly. It was really nice to get personalized attention, but even better, the shots that Jay captured were very creative and detailed. He provides a great mix of the formal pictures... Read More you 'need' and the candid ones you want. The album that he created was beautiful and will stand the test of time. Jay really exceeded our expectations. I would highly recommend Jay for all of the reasons mentioned above plus his pricing is exceptional, especially for the value of services you receive.

Jay Dreifus

I’ve had a zeal for photography since I was 10 years old. As my father helped me develop my film in his darkroom, I watched in fascination as my images sprang to life. Now I'm an award-winning photographer, creating amazing images is my passion, and it is my full-time dream job. The Knot doesn't give me enough room to tell you more about myself. Please see the About Me page (labeled Jay) on my web site for more about me.