John Douglas Photography

All of Michigan, and beyond! We do destination weddings!

Creative and Unique Wedding and Event Photography

John Douglas Photography captures your love story through an artistic lens on your wedding day. These images are a lasting memory to re-live the love, joy, and happiness of that special day and to share with generations to come. We take pride in our level of communication and professionalism with every couple we've had the honor of working with, to deliver a product that they will love and cherish forever. From the more traditional and classical shots to the candid and unscripted moments, we are able to customize a style to capture the uniqueness and beauty of your special day.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Engagement, Trash The Dress

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

All of Michigan, and beyond! We do destination weddings! (517) 243-5900

Reviewed on 1/30/2017 Katie B

John Douglas Photography was listed as a "preferred vendor" from the venue where we married. From my initial contact with John, I understood why. He was eager to meet with me and my husband to get a better sense of us as a couple and what exactly we had in mind in terms of... Read More photography. Since we do not live in Michigan, he worked with our schedules to find a time when we could all meet in person. We met at the venue, The English Inn, which I was pleased to discover he had already photographed several times. He brought his i-Pad with him, which was loaded with a number of styles and shots. My fiancé and I went through each one, discussing what we liked or what we would change. This was an extremely helpful part of the process since it allowed us to eliminate a number of wedding shots that did not appeal to us. As it got closer to the wedding day, John sent us a "must have photo" checklist, which allowed us to identify all of our non-negotiable photos. Again, this was a great time saver, since it meant bride, groom and photographer were all on the same page regarding day-of shots. On the actual wedding day, John and his assistant did an excellent job of capturing shots--both candid and otherwise. Despite the stress of the day, I never felt like he "was in the way." In fact, he was one of the only people around for the "first look," and there is no doubt in my mind that he understood the importance and intimacy of the moment, which is likely why these particular photos turns out so well. We arranged a package in which we got an engagement photo session, 12 hours on the wedding day and the photo booth. We were extremely happy with the quality of all of the photos . John used a number of filters, lenses and other methods so that each photo was unique. One of the photos was even selected to be on the cover of Lansing Bride. I would recommend John Douglas Photography to all brides and grooms. In addition to being a great photographer, John was kind, genuine and professional. Using his services was one of the best wedding decisions we made.

Reviewed on 1/20/2017 Dessie C

We hired John to shoot our both our engagement and reception pictures. John was amazing and went above and beyond for us. He put a lot of time into posing us and making sure we got the shots we wanted during our (rainy, but GORGEOUS) engagement shoot. For our reception, he was... Read More able to play photographer and people wrangler to ensure that we did not have to worry about getting the pictures we wanted. He was able to get our pictures back to us very quickly and the editing was fantastic. We had our reception in Lansing and we were in the middle of a snow storm. He was able to take some gorgeous shots and make use of the green screen to make it appear like we were able to withstand the cold for much longer than we were. John is thoughtful and creative and is open to using new methods/technology to get cutting edge shots. I highly recommend John and my husband and I have already started to save our money for an anniversary shoot with him!

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Sarah M

John created a marvelous portfolio of our daughter's wedding, each photo a wonderful remembrance of a joyous day. His presence was not invasive and yet he captured so many wonderful aspects of the day, never missing an opportunity for yet another "great shot." Prior to the... Read More event, he asked many questions as to what was important to us, working diligently to assure our happiness. He had so many great ideas, too! Her wedding was in a historic Basilica and he was able to capture the elegance of the venue despite the awful lighting inside. Thank you, John, for having created such beautiful memories, you are truly an artist!

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Jack S

John was excellent from our very first meeting. His extreme attention to detail and appreciation for the moment was the best I have ever seen. He helped us set our vision for the wedding and planned out some of the best locations for pictures. The results were stunning. I... Read More would recommend him to anyone!

Reviewed on 2/06/2017 Angela G

John was a complete pleasure to work with. He came all the way to Mackinac Island, MI to photograph our wedding. I got nothing but compliments from everyone who encountered him during our big day . I was a very busy time and he helped to make sure that the day went as smoothly... Read More and stress free as possible.. he actually assisted for a while beforehand with bouquets! I feel absolutely blessed that I found him and that we choose to use his fabulous services for the most important day of our lives. I would recommend him to anyone very highly!

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

John was wonderful and great to work with. He knew exactly what I was looking for in my wedding photos. I couldn't be more happy with the outcome! I would highly recommend John to anyone looking for a great photographer!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Amanda W

We had the pleasure of working with John with both wedding and engagement pictures. He's a such a wonderful person and such a professional. He was more worried about getting every shot we wanted than what his ideas were. He made each encounter fun and natural, we never felt... Read More staged and never had to force a smile. His artistic ability is beyond words and each picture catches a moment not a pose. I cannot thank him enough for capturing all of our memories so beautifully. We will be requesting his services for our family pictures in the fall!

Captured our wedding day beatifully!

Reviewed on 11/08/2015 Erin H

John Douglas Photography did any amazing job capturing the special moments of our wedding day. From all the moments before I walked down the isle to the ceremony, to the fabulous family and bridal party shots...John brought his unique vision and direction to take the shots that... Read More would mold together to tell our love story over and over! The quality of the photography was great... like a magazine cover! We had so much fun shooting at the local ice cream shop, the park, and around the cannons. All perfect places recommended by John for our day! Friendly, accomodating, creative, professional, passionate and fun. We would recommend John Douglas Photograpy and look forward to working with him again for our next family adventure!

Amazing, stunning and beautiful pictures!!!!

Reviewed on 10/03/2015 Taya C

Trying to plan a wedding out of state and of town can be a tough task but when I was researching for a photographer, I had a list of area photographers given to me. Out of all the others listed, John was the most reasonable. John took the time to meet me with and was very... Read More flexible with times and days to meet. We used his ala carte package because of being such a small wedding. John is very easy to work with and communicate with. He will email you back very quickly. Never had an issue with communication. On the wedding day, John arrived on time and start snapping pictures right away. We had him for 3 hours but he took so many pictures. We ended up with over 300+ pictures. The pictures were absolutely stunning! There are so many good ones to choose from. He was so easy to work with and was very open to suggestions. After the wedding we got our pictures in a timely fashion and even after John wil, check in to make sure everything is what you expect. As a bride, I would whole heartedly recommend John Douglas Photography for any bride looking for an amazing photographer. I can't say enough about John Douglas photography and I can't express how much I would recommend him as your photographer.

Worth it!

Reviewed on 8/03/2015

John did an excellent job on our wedding! He met with us ahead of time to discuss exactly what we were looking for, and he even gave us a list of suggested photos and poses. He was always easy to contact and eager to help us out. On the day of the wedding itself, he was not at... Read More all intrusive, while managing to get all the pictures we wanted. The pictures themselves came out beautifully; he has an excellent eye for composition. The price was reasonable, if not cheap, and worth every penny. Planning a wedding can be stressful, but this was one area I felt I didn't have to worry.

Reviewed on 7/18/2015 Gloria R

We were so happy to be able to snag John for our wedding in May! A truly talented photographer and so pleasant to work with. Communication and collaboration were on point, and John was always able to accommodate to any challenge we ran into along the way. Our venue had... Read More tricky lightning, and unexpected weather the day of our wedding would have caused any professional photographer to be nervous.. but John jumped right in and everything turned out great! We have had so many compliments on our photos from family and friends, and I can't wait to have our favorites hanging on our walls for years to come!

Reviewed on 7/14/2015 Jes C

John is an incredible photographer. I have been both a bride and an event planner and have had the pleasure of working with John both for my own wedding as well as hired him to service clients. I know so many photographers (some are family and close friends) and John is always... Read More my first choice and go-to photographer. He is creative, dependable, professional but most of all he is in love with his craft. His work is worth far more than he charges but he is reasonably priced and always goes the extra mile. You cannot go wrong. Hire him today!

2015-07-14T11:41:59 Response from the vendor

Thanks Jes! It's always a pleasure working for you and your clients!

Reviewed on 7/08/2015

I absolutely loved working with John. He recently gave me a sneak peek at some of my photos, and I loved them all! I can't wait to see the rest :) He was very professional and flexible, very responsive to emails and text messages and easy to work with. I highly recommend John if... Read More you are looking for someone to deliver above expectations, and to capture the most precious moments of your day! Also, I really appreciated his a la carte pricing strategy :)

2015-07-08T19:00:28 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much, I was totally at ease with you, and it makes my job so much easier when you work with people you really enjoy being around. Your wedding was amazing, and a lot fun.

Reviewed on 6/17/2015 Brittani S

John did an amazing job at our wedding and was extremely reasonable as far as price! He met with us a few times before the wedding to make sure he knew exactly what we wanted for photos!! I felt very comfortable knowing he would make sure I had all the photos I wanted and they... Read More turned out absolutely amazing!! Definitely consider him for all your photo needs!!

2015-06-18T06:13:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you Brittani. I enjoyed photographing your wedding. Both you and Ben were extremely easy to work with, and were very adaptable and flexible, all of which makes for beautiful images. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your day!

John Vial

My style is classic/traditional/innovative. I enjoy using photographic techniques which go beyond the ordinary. In addition to providing you with both candid and posed shots, I will provide black and whites where appropriate. All of your images will be edited for composition and color balance. Photography has provided me with an outlet for my artistic side and love of technology. I have a good balance between the technical and artistic components of photography. I love the advancing and ever changing technological advances being made with photography equipment and editing software.