Jonathan Massmann Photography

San Francisco / Bay Area / Napa / Sonoma / Destination

Artistic, Documentary, Lifestyle, Modern

Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

San Francisco / Bay Area / Napa / Sonoma / Destination (415) 450-8780
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 9/21/2016 Nerissa B

Jonathan was so wonderful to work with every step of the way! Having a good photographer was my top priority and we definitely found what we were looking for with Jonathan! He was easy to communicate with in the months leading up to the wedding and on the day of he just fit... Read More right in! Right away before I even saw him on the day of the wedding he was already snapping photos of my guests in the river, the flower arranging, the guests starting to gather... he just blended right into the crowd and captured all the happy moments happening all around him. Both my husband and I hate getting our photos taken and he is especially known for closing his eyes and being super awkward in front of the camera, but Jonathan was so easy going, patient and kind throughout our portraits that we got some really amazing shots! Even during silent disco he joined right in on the fun and captured some awesome moments. It was a whirlwind of a day but Jonathan was able to memorialize it perfectly. After getting our photos back I spent over an hour crying, laughing and being overwhelmed with happiness with re-living such a magical and amazing time for us. The photos were beautiful and fun and genuine and palpable and ripe with emotion. Thank you for capturing it all for us. It is so fun to see and re-experience the evening through a different perspective!

2016-09-21T14:45:41 Response from the vendor

Everything about your wedding was awesome! I'm stoked you are able to see your wedding from a different perspective and relive your amazing day every time you look at your images. Take care :)

Reviewed on 11/03/2017 Danielle H

I knew immediately upon viewing Jonathan's Knot portfolio... we HAD TO hire him as our wedding photographer! We received our photo gallery last night, our jaws dropped and the images truly knocked the wind out of us!!! Our photos are GORGEOUS!!! Not only does he have a... Read More creative artistic eye and vision (he nailed it on the lighting), he captured all the small details and candid shots we were hoping! He is amazing to work with!! He is such a pleasure...thank you so much Jonathan!! Words cannot express how high I recommend him!!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 Jaimi S

Jonathan is truly amazing. He photographed our wedding this past weekend in Miami,Fl. He is so creative and so easy to work with! Would recommend Jonathan 1000x over!

Reviewed on 9/30/2017 Kelly B

Cannot say enough good things about Jonathan! We've worked with him twice now, on headshots and wedding photos, and both sessions were simply amazing. He conducts himself with poise and calm, and makes a long, exhausting shoot easy and fun. He's quick and creative and flexible,... Read More and he finds frames in the landscape that I never could have imagined. Our wedding album is a work of art. Do yourself a favor and contract this man for your photos. They will be your most precious memories.

Reviewed on 8/08/2017 Brennan F

Jonathan was a pleasure to work with. He has an amazing, calm demeanor that left us feeling so calm throughout our entire wedding. He captured moments we did not recall until looking at the photo gallery. We would highly recommend him and the company to anyone looking for a... Read More professional photographer to capture special moments in your life. We were and still are blown away at our photographs and the ability to re-live a very special & happy day.

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Eric W

Jonathan is an absolutely amazing photographer and we highly recommend him to anyone looking for a photographer to capture their engagement and/or wedding photos. He took our engagement photos in San Francisco and flew to Chicago for our wedding weekend. We had an Indian fusion... Read More wedding and really wanted a photographer who could capture the essence of both cultures, and to say Jonathan did that is an understatement. We couldn't be more pleased with our photos and will cherish them for the rest of our lives! Jonathan is an extremely kind and easygoing person, and we recommend him without any reservations.

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Jessica O

Working with Jonathan was one of the best decisions that we made in planning our wedding. He was flexible, professional and amazing at his craft. Not only was Jonathan great and organized to work with during the planning process but he also captured the special moments of our... Read More wedding . We are still swooning over the beauty of his photos. Our wedding was at the San Francisco Mint and he really saw our vision and was excited to explore the beauty of this classic space. I would 100% recommend Jonathan to anyone looking for a wedding photographer. Stop what you are doing now and book him!

Reviewed on 7/12/2017 Reesha S

I met Jonathan while I was in a friends wedding back in 2015. He was the photographer for her event, after she showed off the photos I knew I had to have him for mine. Fast forward a year later, shortly after I got engaged I reached out to Jonathan. Unfortunately, I wasn't able... Read More to book him for our wedding due to preferred vendor issues. BUT! I knew I had to have him, so I booked him for our engagement shoot. He hit my vision on the head. Once we got our photos, I couldn't make up my mind on what photo(s) were my favorite because I loved them all. Which is something I've never said about all my pictures. He made the process so easy, answered any silly questions I had and it was truly a pleasure to have him capture our special moment!

2017-07-17T15:53:11 Response from the vendor

Reesha, I hope you were able to choose a few to display at your shower! I'm sure your wedding in October will be spectacular! I wish you and Trae the best in your new adventure together :)

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Stephanie T

I have known Jon for a few years and have had the privileged of him shooting our Holiday Cards, Engagement Photos, and then Wedding. While Jon's work is pristine, his work ethic topnotch, and his turnaround time extremely reasonable (including lots of sneak peeks!), you hire Jon... Read More for his energy and his eye. Jon brought such a sense of calm, peaceful energy to our wedding while continuing to capture the most precious moments throughout. My husband- who claims he cannot smile- was captured impeccably, and I believe my mother referred to him as a 'photography ninja' because of his ability to literally capture everything with such silent grace. He listens to what you want, delivers above an beyond what you ask for, and is so professional in the process. I adore Jon, LOVE his work, and have been over the moon with everything he has delivered. I can't wait to work with him again.

Reviewed on 6/02/2017 Stacey K

Finding the right photographer was a top priority for us and we have no doubt we nailed it when we booked Jonathan. From phone calls, to an in person meeting at a local brewery, to an online survey asking for details before the big day, Jonathan's communication and... Read More organizational skills were fantastic. He even went out of his way to scout our venue location and off-site shoot locations in his spare time, which helped make things run even more smoothly on the day. Logistics aside, Jonathan has a genuine kindness that was such a positive and calming force on our wedding day. He put everyone at ease, even people who don't love having their photo taken. As a result, he snapped amazingly candid moments that we will treasure for years to come. We were completely impressed at how Jonathan's photos captured the love we have for each other and our family and friends. Jonathan is a total triple threat - talented photographer, strong customer service skills, and incredibly pleasant to be around. Book him and you won't be disappointed!

2017-07-17T15:58:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you Stacey. It was an honor to be part of your wedding. I'm glad I had a positive impact on your day. I want to see pics of the trailer once you and Scott find the perfect one!

Reviewed on 4/11/2017 Sharen Y

We booked Jonathan as our Engagement photographer. Jonathan was awesome and it was really great working with him. My fiance and I were so happy about the pictures. He truly captured "our moments". He was on time, and also very flexible. We had a last minute location change.... Read More He accommodated our change with no issue. We really hoped that we could book him for our wedding, but he was already booked for another event. But I would not hesitate to hire him again or recommend to my friends and family. For sure, he is the "Best Value" wedding photographer around Bay Area. Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 2/02/2017 Maura H

This review is long overdue, but it has been on my to do list since our October 2016 wedding! Jonathan was an amazing photographer- in the months leading up to our big day he was very accessible (we met him in person, had multiple phone calls and many email communications) and... Read More made sure to have a clear understanding of the vision we had for our celebration and the photos we wanted to capture. He had great ideas and experience to share, but always made sure our vision dictated the day. He was flexible on the day of (when our timeline inevitably was delayed), and stayed a calm presence throughout. He captured lovely pictures, but posed and awesome candid shots! He really has an eye for capturing the feel of the event. He had our photos back to us within a few weeks- sooner than I was expecting!! After doing lots of research I also found him to be very competitively priced for Bay Area photographers. We are so happy we went with Jonathan- both my husband and I highly recommend him!!!

2017-02-02T13:21:47 Response from the vendor

Maura, it was and honor and a pleasure to photograph your wedding. Your families and friends are super fun and know how to have a good time!

Reviewed on 1/29/2017 Kristi C

Jonathan and his assistant were great. They captured our day in a way that made us both very happy. They were both very professional, and very easy to work with. He even got us our pictures earlier then promised. I would highly recommend him.

2017-02-02T13:23:25 Response from the vendor

Hi Krisit, I can't think of a better way I could have rung in the New Year than by celebrating the love between you and Sean! Thank you for allowing me to be such an important part of your wedding :)

Reviewed on 1/21/2017 Charis M

Jonathan was great! He was professional, easy-going, attentive to what we wanted, and responsive to our ideas and requests. He was great with kids! He managed to capture important moments while being unintrusive. We loved the pictures that we received from him!

2017-02-02T13:25:28 Response from the vendor

Charis, your wedding was sweet and heartfelt. It was an honor to have been chosen to photograph it. I wish you and Rick the very best in your new adventure together!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Constance H

Jonathan is very professional and patient. I feel lucky to choose him as my wedding photographer.

2017-02-02T13:32:07 Response from the vendor

You and Collin make such a sweet couple. I enjoyed the time photographing you two around SF City Hall. Best wishes!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Sonja O

The most easy going photographer. Made the whole wedding/ engagement process enjoyable. He really goes out of his way for you and cares about what he does. Super gracious and kind.

2017-02-02T13:30:14 Response from the vendor

You looked absolutely amazing in your dress! You and Joe are so cool. I hope you guys are enjoying married life :)

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Nina V

Jonathan photographed our wedding and we couldn't be happier with our results! The main reason we originally went with Jonathan was his eye for catching the unscripted real moments and he did just that. Everyone felt incredibly comfortable around him, so much so that even our... Read More posed shots exude the joy and lightness we were all feeling on that day. He is incredibly responsive and flexible, meeting us at a coffee shop in South Bay to chat so that we would feel comfortable with him on our wedding day (my husband travels a lot for work and we could not do an engagement shoot). The feedback that we have received from family about his photographs is that they show off the joy, laughter and love of the day. I think that says it all!

2017-02-02T13:29:01 Response from the vendor

You and Moshe are awesome people! I loved every minute of your wedding day :)

Reviewed on 10/17/2016

Johnathan photographed our wedding and was one of our favorite vendors. I originally was recommended him by another photographer who was booked on my wedding date (so I already felt encouraged that he was well respected in his industry). Once I looked at his portfolio, I knew... Read More he would be a great fit. I was immediately drawn to his artistic framing and candid shots. He was so professional and nice to work with. He went above and beyond to make sure we were happy with his work, even visiting our venue before the event. He also met with us for an initial interview and had multiple phone conversations with us before the big day to make sure we could ask any questions and to be sure he didn't miss any important shots for us. On the day of our wedding, he really made us feel comfortable for the posed shots and drove us all around the venue in his car. Then for the rest of the day I barley noticed he was even there! I really appreciated that because on a day when all eyes are on you it was nice to not feel like the paparazzi was constantly in your face. It also allowed him to get those great candid shots that really bring you back to the emotions of the day. Multiple guests and my parents commented on how impressed they were by his manner at our wedding and the final product. I also really appreciate how he delivered our USB in a sweet/creative way and I love that I now own the pictures to do what I want with them. I would highly recommend hiring Jonathan.

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Willis L

My (now) wife found Jonathan on The Knot and we loved his style, so after seeing some of his full albums, we easily decided to go with his services for our June wedding. He has a documentary style that give you the feel of the whole event and focuses more on candid photography... Read More than posed shots. He has this intuition for where he should point his camera that captures the instant moment of your niece's hearty laugh or mom's joyful tears. His photos have a very realistic feel, minimally processed, and without all the overdone glow, contrast, or vignette that seems the craze so far. These are just want winsome and timeless photos that bring you immediately back to your special day, The entire experience was just great. We weren't able to meet in person because of location differences, so our first contact was just doing Facetime to get to know each other. We knew we wanted some b+g photos before our wedding in Alameda, but we weren't sure where to go. Jonathan actually went out of his way to drive around Alameda for a few hours and scouted out some great, off-beat locations for us! And this is even though he lives more than an hour away. On the day of our wedding, he really took care of us and made us feel really comfortable. Even despite not knowing our wedding-day plans, he really rolled with it and just kept up all smiles the whole time. He never seemed impatient at all and really took his time to get the best shots. Our reception ended in the evening and it was really dark, so I wished I had known that there wasn't much light at the venue and told him to bring some lights for the group shots we asked him for. But despite the poor conditions, when he sent us the processed photos I was pleasantly surprised to see that they still looked superb! Overall Jonathan was exactly what we were looking in a photographer. He just confidently took the shots he needed and went around working his craft, and the shots we got at the end were fantastic! I definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needs a photographer for their wedding. Thanks Jonathan!

2016-10-17T21:35:23 Response from the vendor

Thank you Willis. I enjoyed every moment of your wedding! You and Lillian are genuine and awesome people! I hope our paths cross sometime in Irvine :)

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Lindsey M

It was an absolute pleasure to work with Jonathan . I was referred to him by a friend, and I am so happy the recommendation was made. From first interaction to final moments, Jonathan was helpful, honest, fair, efficient, and accommodating. I went from someone who nearly wanted... Read More NOTHING to do with photography, to being someone who needed it for quite a long time, including two shooters at the last minute; yet Jonathan allowed that process of discovery to happen in an unforced and natural way. He was awesomely personable and conversational all while being incredibly professional. We had told him we wanted to take photos in 4 different locations, and he went and visited them all the day before. The day of our wedding, however, my husband and I were epic-ally behind schedule. Because we had planned somewhat of a production of a wedding (dancers and performers and all); and because our rentals did not arrive as planned the day before, the morning of our wedding was insane to say the least. Jonathan allowed us to take our day in stride, he rolled with us calmly and smoothly as the day changed shape, and through the wedding he and his partner were so swift and unobtrusive, I honestly don't remember seeing them! On the flip side, when I was making eye contact or having interaction with Jonathan, I felt as if I had known him for years and we had been friends forever. What's more, I even accidentally over-paid Jonathan for his services... so he told me and paid ME back. Gorgeously edited final photos were returned to us quickly and in an incredibly easy-to-share format; and I've been loving following his Instagram posts since. I am grateful to have met such a talented, kind, and professional photographer. I only wish I had more things to hire him for! Cheers to Jonathan Massmann Photography. Bravo!

2016-10-13T15:23:51 Response from the vendor

Your wedding was AWESOME! Beautifully unique and super original... just like you and Joe! With all of the work you guys put personally into making the wedding happen there was bound to be some hiccups. I'm glad I was able to keep you calm and... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Molly M

Jonathan was an absolute delight to work with and we are beyond happy with our wedding photos! He took the time to get to know me and my husband, first with a phone call then drinks during the week leading up to our wedding. We did not want staged or overly formal pictures and... Read More he managed to capture the silly and relaxed nature of our relationship with his photos. Perhaps most importantly, he was BEYOND helpful in the planning of logistics of the day. My husband and I live on the east coast and were unable to do any location scouting before our arrival a week before the wedding. Jonathan took it upon himself to go to the church and check out surrounding locations to help us figure out where we wanted to take pictures. He put together an itinerary for the day and even drove us around to the difference locations both before and after the actual ceremony. This allowed us to avoid dealing with an uber in a wedding dress and also provided us a little time before the reception to relax and spend a bit of time together. Lastly, Jonathan is a genuinely fun and easy-going guy who made a lengthy picture-taking session actually fun. I can't recommend his services enough!

2016-10-10T13:47:28 Response from the vendor

Thank you Molly! I had so much fun with you two on your wedding day!

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Meghan H

Absolutely beautiful engagement photos from Jonathan!! We could not be any happier with the final product, our pictures are amazing. We have so many to chose from for our Save the Dates and have a great album we created as well. We feel very prepapred for our formal wedding... Read More pictures now too, perfect help in getting us prepared for those later on. Jonathan is great not only for his professional quality pictures but also because he made my fiance and I feel so comfortable in what could have been an awkward few hours of time holding hands and smiling. He was extremely helpful in helping us chose locations to shoot and ideas of how we should "pose" for the pictures. We are new to the area and Jonathan went above and beyond to help explain the locations we were thinking and why they would be good places or not to go. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no pressure of timing, he was happy to take us around and get as many shot s as possible in a few different locations. My expectations were far exceeded and we can't thank him enough for the wonderful pictures.

2016-09-21T14:43:47 Response from the vendor

You and Conor were so fun to work with! I'm sure you're Telluride wedding next year will be incredible! Best wishes to you two!

Reviewed on 8/09/2016 Annie M

The photos came out perfect. We will be hiring JM again for all our special occasions.

2016-10-10T13:48:56 Response from the vendor

A+A, I hope you two are having an amazing time on your new adventure in Florida! It brings a smile to my face every time I see the images from your wedding :)

Reviewed on 8/08/2016

Jonathan is absolutely fantastic, and we are so pleased with our photos. Over the course of our communication, he was incredibly thorough and made sure to get all the info that he needed. As I was moving down to SoCal and taking finals for grad school right before the wedding,... Read More he was very patient with us as communication fell through on my end. Jonathan was so thorough that he even went out and scoped out possible places and landscapes for our wedding portraits a week before the wedding. (Now that is what I call commitment.) On the day of the wedding, Jonathan had to deal with a 9+ hour wedding day, including the troubles with family drama and a 350 guest list. He was FABULOUS in keeping such a cool head and flexible all the demands of us and our family. It was such a breath of fresh air to work with him amidst the stress. As for the photos themselves, we asked Jonathan to take a lot of candids of our wedding, and he captured so many beautiful moments--even though the whole day was jam-packed. I'm pretty blown away by the quality of photography, and I'm excited to compile it all together in our new wedding album :). I highly recommend him to my friends. (And I'm recommending him to you too.) Thank you so much Jonathan!

2016-09-21T14:47:05 Response from the vendor

I'm happy I had a positive impact on your day. I hope you two are doing well in Orange County!

Reviewed on 6/08/2016

Simply put, my wife and I loved Jonathan's work. The moments he captured of our civil ceremony in SF City Hall are magical. Not only is he a master of his craft but his warm and friendly nature made for a wonderful experience. He's patient and provided clear directions on shots,... Read More placement, etc. Jonathan is a fantastic photographer to work with.

2016-06-08T15:44:50 Response from the vendor

Thank you Yen! It was an honor to be part of your wedding. You and Laura are awesome!

Jonathan Massmann

You deserve to enjoy every single moment of your wedding day and beautiful images that bring back the love and excitement from those moments every time you view them. This is my goal at each wedding and I work tirelessly to achieve it. My documentary approach lets me capture the candid, funny, tearful, joyous, genuine moments of your day. I have been told I am fun to be around. I guess it's my easy-going personality, but I'll let you be the judge. I look forward to learning a little about you. Please contact me for more info and details.