Non-religious officiant; what's your love story?

"Non-religious" means just that. I won't impose any religious references or rituals (though I'm happy to provide if you specifically ask). My ceremonies instead speak to the spiritual yet very tangible connections that people in love make with one another. I am a strong listener, creative ceremony planner, intelligent writer, and warm and confident speaker with more than 20 years experience guiding couples at their wedding altar. I promise that you and your guests will feel welcomed within my 15-20 minute contemporary ceremonies. Whether you are looking for something simple or elaborate; elegant or high-spirited; traditional, not, or somewhere in between, contact me and let's talk. Modern weddings have no rules, so let's work together to create a ceremony that's right for you!

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Elopement, Interfaith Ceremony, Non-Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Interfaith, Spiritual

Ceremony, Wedding

Non-religious officiant serving the Phoenix area (602) 340-8210

Reviewed on 2/18/2018 Cara S

Getting married is an intensely personal experience, yet Liz made us feel like we’ve known her for years and could share our life story with her right away. She spent hours with us helping us explore exactly what makes us special and how to best share our unique story. Liz was... Read More fun, friendly, and easy to get along with. She showed genuine interest and emotional investment in our story and we appreciated that she found a way to summarize years of laughs, love, and adventure into our ceremony. Liz was a huge asset for us in planning our wedding ceremony, as we wanted to go off the beaten path and gave us the idea for a handfasting ritual. It helped our ceremony feel unique, personal, and even more memorable. Best of all, we left every encounter with Liz feeling energized and more in love with our partner-to-be than ever before.

2018-02-19T12:58:10 Response from the vendor

Thank you Cara! Knowing that you and Kelsey felt even more in love after our interactions is music to my ears. Your connection is true and deep, and I know you will love being married to each other. Always, Liz

Reviewed on 4/08/2018 Rachelle B

My husband and I decided very last minute (1 week in advance) to have an intimate elopement in Phoenix. We live in New York and turned to The Knot to search for an officiant. We are so happy to have found Liz! Her communication leading up to the ceremony was genuine, efficient,... Read More and responsive. In regards to the ceremony itself, my husband and I are still in awe of her gift - her gift of words ... her ability to create an intimate, special, spiritual, and loving environment ... we were blown away with how incredible our ceremony was. It far exceeded our expectations! I don’t think we realized how important the officiant would be in terms of the overall experience - but Liz truly made our wedding! We would recommend Liz to anyone looking for a celebrant!

2018-04-09T11:36:35 Response from the vendor

Your beautiful spirits, combined with our Arizona landscape in springtime blooms, indeed made for a spectacular elopement! I'm so pleased you and Brent were happy with the whole experience, Rachelle. It was a true pleasure spending that intimate afternoon with you both. Always, Liz

Reviewed on 1/06/2018 Katharine Marie

My husband and I weren't sure what direction we wanted to go in as far as our officiant, but once we began looking around and found Liz, we knew she was perfect for our wedding day. Liz is professional, warm, engaging, and just absolutely wonderful to work with. Our guests raved... Read More about her immediately at the reception, and many thought we had known her before we decided to get married because her writing was so personal and spoke to everyone on such an emotional level. We still have people talking about how perfect our ceremony was and we have Liz to thank for that. She was a master at listening to our story and turning little things into a big picture that brought our guests to tears. We could not have asked for a better or more lovely soul to handle the most meaningful part of our wedding day. Thank you, Liz!

2018-01-07T08:31:20 Response from the vendor

Sweet Kate, thank you for this touching and detailed review. It makes me so happy to hear that you and your guests participated in your ceremony with their hearts. That's what a wedding day is for -- to feel and celebrate your love. I know... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 4/18/2018 Amanda D

I know normally the Bride or the Groom writes these reviews but I wanted to give you my perspective as the MOB for all the other MOB’s out there :). As we all know, wedding planning can be very overwhelming, hectic and even stressful at times so I decided to help my daughter... Read More and son-in-law (Adam) with as much as I could. One of my many tasks was to find a wedding officiant. I emailed and called several but after finding Liz off “The Knot” website, I was very impressed after Liz and I spoke on the phone but once my daughter, son-in-law and I met with Liz, we knew immediately she was the right person for my baby’s girls wedding. Liz took the time to get to know Amanda and Adam with not only how they met but what made them fall in love with each other. She was so easy to work with over the past year very quick to respond to all our questions but also reaching out to Amanda and Adam and making sure everything was all set. When I reached out in secret to Liz that my future son-in-law wanted to read a speech to my 6 year old granddaughter Hailey at the wedding so she felt not only part of the wedding but knew they were becoming a family, Liz couldn’t have been more excited and worked it into the ceremony beautifully and was a very special surprise to my daughter also. Liz did such an amazing job the entire day from reminding us that this was their special day and reminding us to be “in the moment” and let everything else go. Liz was warm, courteous, and very professional. She put together an amazing beautiful and personal ceremony captured not only Amanda and Adam’s love for each other but also how she included Hailey to show how they are now a family. Liz’s words touched everyone deeply and don’t think there was a dry eye by the end of the ceremony, yes especially mine :). After the ceremony several friends and family members had so many compliments on what a beautiful ceremony it was and how great Liz was. Liz, I truly couldn’t have asked for a better person to officiate my daughter’s wedding. I want to thank you very much for helping to make my daughter’s wedding a perfect day I will treasure forever I highly recommend Liz O’Brien to anyone in search of a perfect officiant, Only wish I could give her more stars :)

2018-04-18T17:53:29 Response from the vendor

Rebecca, your generous and detailed review means so much to me. I loved it that the ceremony planning was a family affair -- and I agree we pulled off a most successful day! All my best to you, Amanda, Adam and Hailey.

Reviewed on 4/08/2018 Tim G

Liz did an amazing job of officiating our wedding ceremony and we can't thank her enough for how beautiful and personal she made it. We met once to go over the story of how we met and how we wanted the ceremony to go. She kept in contact with us up until the day of the wedding... Read More to ensure we had the perfect ceremony! My dad even asked us afterwards how long we had known Liz because it seemed like she was an old friend. We would recommend Liz to any couple needing an officiant for their big day!

2018-04-09T11:38:56 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback, Tim. I'm so happy that you and Lauren (and your families) were pleased with the ceremony and all that lead up to it. What a day of celebrating your sweet love!

Reviewed on 3/23/2018 Samantha A

The ceremony Liz created for us was absolute perfection. It was so personal and moving, and we felt like she really understood our souls. Our wedding guests agreed that her words were outstanding, many saying they have never been to a lovelier wedding ceremony. Liz is the real... Read More deal, and we are grateful we found her.

2018-03-24T09:56:36 Response from the vendor

From our first meeting, your beautiful souls indeed inspired me, Sam. I'm so pleased that you and your guests found the ceremony meaningful. Sending love to you and Cole.

Reviewed on 3/16/2018 Mercy F

I have to say working with Liz O'Brien was an absolute pleasure. She made my daughter's ceremony the best part of the whole day. I would recommend her 100%. What a beautiful soul and I'm honored to have had her as the officiant of the wedding.

2018-03-17T18:19:34 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind words, Mercy. All of your work behind the scenes really paid off for Nicole's big day, and I'm glad you found me! All my best to you and your family.

Reviewed on 3/15/2018 Kameel W

Liz was great at first and then she became impatient because we were still trying to figure out our venue.we found what venue we were going with for sure and I then received and email that said “this transaction is taking up to much of my time” she told us she was only here to... Read More do the ceremony and not plan a full wedding. We understood that but she didn’t take in consideration that it’s our first wedding and we had questions and I have met plenty other officiants that took that time to help.

2018-03-20T11:42:57 Response from the vendor

With all due respect, I have been quoted inaccurately and out of context. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck in finding an officiant who better fits your communication style.

Reviewed on 3/13/2018 Janet S

Liz was such a great officiant. She did such a great job at our wedding and we couldn’t be happier with her. The ceremony that she had scripted for us was beautiful and personable, it was perfect. Our guests actually asked how long we’ve known Liz because the ceremony was so... Read More personable it was as if she had known us for a long time. She was very accommodating and prompt at answering questions. She had great suggestions and provided nice templates to work off of. If you are looking for knowledge, professionalism, flexibility, and most importantly quality of service, then look no further, Liz is the one you want. We highly recommend her.

2018-03-13T17:09:28 Response from the vendor

Your feedback means a lot to me, Janet. I was charmed by your love story with Christian and it's clearly evident you two are a great pair. Make the most of your marriage!

Reviewed on 2/26/2018 Kate O

Our wedding was so special because of Liz. She made us feel comfortable from the very beginning. She checked in along the way and in addition to being organized and professional, she also offered calming words of advice for which I was so thankful. By taking the time to get to... Read More know us as a couple, she was able to deliver a personalized and moving ceremony. We received several compliments that it was like she knew us and it wasn't just a generic "in and out" script. The officiant is such an integral part of your wedding, so we highly recommend Liz for your special day. Thank you again Liz! -Kate and Jordan

2018-02-27T11:49:23 Response from the vendor

You're welcome, Kate and Jordan! I appreciate your kind words and detailed feedback, especially the part about the "non-generic" script. Indeed, my goal is to make your day unique to you, and I'm pleased to hear you felt that. All my best for a joyous... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 2/14/2018 Katelyn S

Picking an officiant was the hardest part of wedding planning for me, but I couldn't have been more pleased with Liz. I immediately had a connection with her just chatting about our wedding and our vision for our ceremony via text message. She came up with a beautiful ceremony... Read More for us that was personal and touching. My husband and I loved it. I also had many compliments from our guests about how special our ceremony was and how beautifully put together it was. I loved all of Liz's personal touches about our love story and our family we are building with my husband's son. Thank you again Liz!

2018-02-14T21:30:39 Response from the vendor

You're welcome! Your passion for sharing your love story was my inspiration, Katelyn, and it was my pleasure to learn it and share it with you and your guests on your wedding day. The joy you and Greg share in each other's presence is palpable.... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 2/02/2018

Liz was amazing! She took the time to get to know us, customize our ceremony for our lives and beliefs. Her suggestions of the ribbon ceremony and earth blending were wonderful. We loved both being a part of our vows. Many of our guests complimented us on Liz and "how did we... Read More find her". Our friends had her officiate their ceremony and we loved it. She is a breath of fresh air and a vibrant energy that adds to the beauty of the ceremony. We will highly recommend her to our friends and family.

2018-02-03T07:54:25 Response from the vendor

I was quite honored when you called a few months after meeting you back in May at Scott and Patrick's wedding. It was my pleasure to shine the spotlight of love this time on you and DJ. Your story inspires and I loved being part... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 1/30/2018 Karen K

We hit the jackpot with Liz! After years of talking about marriage we finally made the decision to have an intimate wedding ceremony in our backyard only one week later. A frantic Google search led me to Liz and I was so excited she was available for our last minute nuptials. I... Read More didn’t really have high expectations since availability was the main priority but I knew throughout the week as we corresponded that she was perfect for us. She was extremely flexible and accommodating and made the preparations so easy especially with such short notice. Communications were all handled through email which was exactly what worked for me in my crazy busy week of wedding planning. She quickly focused in on what was important to us and magically created a ceremony message that was tailored and meaningful. Liz was professional yet warm and personable guiding us through the ceremony and seamlessly mingling with our guests. All of our guests thought she was wonderful and figured we had a connection with her before our wedding. We completely lucked out in finding Liz and will recommend her to anyone else looking for the perfect officiant.

2018-01-31T08:25:49 Response from the vendor

Thanks for sharing the view on your end of things, Karen. You actually seemed relatively calm during our week of emailing! I am so glad my calendar was open for you, and I really did enjoy myself. It was the most perfect and intimate afternoon... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 1/09/2018 Haley H

We had Liz as our officiant in November for our backyard wedding and she was absolutely phenomenal. We met with her a few times prior to the actual ceremony and on the ceremony day she did nothing but exceed our expectations. During our meetings with her, she interviewed us... Read More about our relationship and made us feel so comfortable during this whole process. We had family coming up to us after the ceremony telling us how beautiful and unique it all was! We did not want any religious affiliation with our wedding and Liz filled the ceremony with a script she wrote about us, a love quote that we chose and a wishing stone announcement (which she suggested and everyone loved!). Thank you so much Liz!!!

2018-01-13T07:48:30 Response from the vendor

It makes my day to hear that you and your families enjoyed your ceremony, Haley. And every time you visit your grandparents' house, you can walk by the Wishing Stone Pond and remember your beautiful wedding day. Enjoy your marriage!

Reviewed on 1/08/2018 Tiffany B

Liz did an amazing job at our wedding we absolutely loved her and so did every one of our guests. I got so many compliments about her from our family and friends. We had small wedding for family and friends and because we had gotten legally married a few months before and Liz... Read More cut the price down a little since we did not need her to file or sign the marriage certificate which was very considerate of her. My husband and I could not have asked for a better officiant and I would recommend her to anyone.

2018-01-09T08:20:55 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, Tiffany. I really enjoyed your intimate gathering of family and friends, and I am so happy for you and Nathan to have found each other. You're a beautiful match. Wishing you the happiest of marriages.

Reviewed on 12/14/2017 Susan L

Liz was so wonderful. She met with us multiple times in order to really get to know us a couple. She is a great writer and speaker and made our wedding extra special. She performs a non religious ceremony but definitely is spiritual. It was perfect for us a couple. We would... Read More highly recommend her.

2017-12-14T13:17:41 Response from the vendor

I so appreciate your feedback Susan. I love what I do and it was a pleasure and honor to share it all with you, Matt and your huge community. You two sure are loved by a lot of people! Thanks again.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017 Lauren H

Liz was such a pleasure to work with throughout the whole process. Our ceremony was perfect and Liz tailored the ceremony to us and our love story. She even gave us a copy of the ceremony as a keepsake! We received so many compliments on our ceremony from our guests that... Read More attended. We highly recommend Liz!

2017-12-05T10:37:51 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Lauren. So happy to please you and your guests. Long live your love!

Reviewed on 11/26/2017 Amanda L

5 stars aren't enough for Liz. Liz rates a perfect 10 in my book for the absolutely wonderful way she handled my wedding. From the initial emails between Liz and myself, to the FaceTime getting to know each other interview with my groom (we live out of state) to Liz arriving... Read More at our wedding venue on time, Liz was a pure delight to work with. Liz promptly replied to my emails, took thorough notes during our interview and incorporated all of my wishes into a lovely wedding ceremony. Liz has a wonderful personality and an infectious charm - thoughts that were echoed by all of the guests at the wedding. I absolutely loved her and can't recommend her enough to officiate your wedding.

2017-11-26T21:23:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Amanda (I keep hearing that Boston song... wonder why?!?). I so enjoyed meeting you and Kevin, and the energy between you at your wedding altar was beautiful and true. I'm so happy you found each other! Thanks also for inviting me... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/26/2017 Jen S

Liz is absolutely amazing ! We couldn’t have asked for a better officiant. All of our guests made comments about how great she is and how wonderful the ceremony was. I love that we received a copy of our ceremony to keep !

2017-11-26T21:17:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Jen. It was a true pleasure being part of your intimate wedding in the shadow of the Superstitions. You and Craig are a beautiful couple who I know will make the most of your marriage! Best of luck to you and your sweet... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/24/2017 Kayla B

Liz made our wedding so personal and beautiful! Our guests loved the ceremony!!!! My husband and I could not have asked for a better officiant than Liz to tell our love story to our guests and pronounce us husband and wife. Liz is always there to answer any questions you may... Read More have and guided us throughout any obstacles we had. Our wedding was absolutely stunning thanks to Liz! Thank you Liz to the moon and back for making our wedding day so special! Daniel and Kayla True <3

2017-11-24T17:27:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your spirited feedback, Daniel and Kayla. And I just loved how you sealed your vows with that gorgeous back bending kiss! It speaks to the fun you two have together. May your marriage be a sanctuary you always come home... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/21/2017 Stephanie D

Liz is amazing! We could not have found a better officiant if we tried. Her prices are reasonable and she will put everything she has into making your ceremony perfect. I recommend doing the "love story. She will take the time to get to know you and your significant other and... Read More will tell your love story during your ceremony, which will make it tailored just for you and unique. You can tell she loves what she does and it shows! We got so many compliments on how wonderful our officiant was. I would highly recommend hiring LIz!!

2017-11-21T18:54:45 Response from the vendor

I'm so happy to hear that you and your guests enjoyed hearing your Love Story, Stephanie. I so enjoyed my time with you and Josh. You are so well suited for each other and I know you'll make the most of your marriage. All my... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/19/2017 Carolyn T

Mrs Liz O’Brien was fantastic! We wanted a non religious wedding, and she did just that! Everyone thought the ceremony was just beautiful and spoke highly about Liz’s talent. She truly means the words she says to the happy couples she marries. We met her to introduce ourselves... Read More and instantly knew we wanted her for our wedding. After meeting again for her to create our love story, she took notes and made us feel so comfortable. She asks you questions about your relationship you’d never think to talk about. She really opens you up and finds the meaning of love your relationship has. We highly recommend her!

2017-11-19T12:42:27 Response from the vendor

Thanks again for inviting me in to officiate your ceremony, Carolyn. I really enjoyed the afternoon with you and Jacob, sipping wine and hearing you 'open up' about your relationship. I'm glad to hear that conversation helped take you to a new place in your... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/12/2017 Sarah B

Liz won't disappoint. She is so personable and took the time to get to know my fiance and I and our love story. On our wedding day she spoke to gracefully and everyone loved getting to know how we met, how he proposed, and what marriage truly means. She even was so sweet and... Read More printed us a nice copy of our ceremony script for a keepsake. I can't say anything bad about Liz. She did such an amazing job and we are so happy we chose her!

2017-11-12T13:28:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the feedback, Sarah. You have found the right partner in Andrew, and I know you will have a beautiful marriage! I so enjoyed being part of your gorgeous garden wedding with so many family and friends who love you both. Always, Liz

Reviewed on 11/11/2017 Renee P

We knew the moment we sat down with Liz for the first time that she was a great fit for us! She had the exact personality we were looking for - someone who would craft us a great ceremony with personal and thoughtful details along with the ability to capture our guests... Read More attention and imagination. And that is exactly what she did. Her ceremony perfectly captured our love story, our personalities, our feelings towards each other and our hopes for the future. She was extremely helpful in getting us exactly what we wanted. I had requested for all our guests to partake in some part of the ceremony and we had the most meaningful experience when all our guests vowed to support us in our married life, thanks to Liz! I would not hesitate to recommend Liz to anyone. I think she is a great speaker, a dynamic writer and a wonderful spirit. We all truly had an engaging experience that we will always remember. Thank you Liz!

2017-11-12T13:25:50 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Renee! Love and community are really what matter, and I'm pleased to hear that both of those things were there for you both on your wedding day. My best to you and Bobby, always.

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Kelly y

This was the best Wedding ceremony is all I heard from my Family and the catering team. Liz did an outstanding job of making this feel special for my wife and myself. Making it about us, our love and becoming one as a family. Coming from out of town and not meeting Liz at first... Read More we were not sure what to expect but Liz was very good at responding to emails and getting to know our story which she brought to life in our ceremony, couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you Liz

2017-10-29T14:13:04 Response from the vendor

You're so welcome, Kelly! I am so pleased to hear that the ceremony was memorable for you and your family. And I love it that the caterers listened as well! Many, many best wishes to you and Aubrey and the boys. I know you'll make... Read Less Read More

Liz O'Brien

I presided over my first wedding in 1994. Since then, I have honed my writing and speaking gifts, offering them to a multitude of couples in an enthusiastic, authentic, and meaningful way. Let me offer them to you, too. On a personal note, I am a native Tucsonan who has lived in Phoenix since 1990. I hold a B.A. and M.A. in Communication, and have nearly three decades of college teaching experience. Marrying my husband was unquestionably one of life's best decisions, so when I speak to you and your guests about love and marriage, I speak from my heart and experience. I love what I do!