Non-religious officiant; what's your love story?

"Non-religious" means just that. I won't impose any religious references or rituals (though I'm happy to provide if you specifically ask). My ceremonies instead speak to the spiritual yet very tangible connections that people in love make with one another. I am a strong listener, creative ceremony planner, intelligent writer, and warm and confident speaker with more than 20 years experience guiding couples at their wedding altar. I promise that you and your guests will feel welcomed within my 15-20 minute contemporary ceremonies. Whether you are looking for something simple or elaborate; elegant or high-spirited; traditional, not, or somewhere in between, contact me and let's talk. Modern weddings have no rules, so let's work together to create a ceremony that's right for you!

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Elopement, Interfaith Ceremony, Non-Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Interfaith, Spiritual

Ceremony, Wedding

Non-religious officiant serving the Phoenix area (602) 340-8210

Reviewed on 5/09/2017 Alexandra P

Maya Angelou hit the nail on the head when she said, “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” This is something that Liz O’Brien innately understands. She achieves a uniquely... Read More personal and inviting ceremony that allowed our guests to connect with us and feel our relationship by combining beautifully crafted words, thoughtful intonation in her speech, and full emotional investment in our relationship. She respects the institution of marriage and the importance of the occasion with her professional appearance and body language. When we first met Liz, months before the ceremony, she was full of enthusiasm. She wanted to hear everything we had to say about our relationship. She asked thoughtful questions and we both felt comfortable sharing with her the inner workings of our relationship. We chatted for over two hours. My husband and I felt even more connected and in love after sharing our story with Liz. As the ceremony got closer, Liz would occasionally check in with little reminders and words of encouragement. She did a great job of keeping us on track. When the day finally came, our ceremony was deeply moving to not just us, but to our entire audience. Half the room was in tears by the end. It was intimate and honest and exactly what we were looking for. Thank you Liz!

2017-05-10T09:27:54 Response from the vendor

I'm especially struck by your second paragraph, Alex, wherein you talk about how much more connected the two of you felt through the act of another listening. No one's ever quite put it that way to me, but I can clearly see your point. Thank... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/12/2017 Scott J

Liz is amazing! I cannot imagine having anyone else joining us in marriage! Liz took the time to know our special message to each other and to our guest. Our day was beyond perfect and we thank Liz for that! If you want a special ceremony that is traditional and relevant to all... Read More of your family and guest, Liz is your officiant! To quote some of our guest "I never really cried at a wedding until yours" "Liz performed the perfect ceremony" "We felt like we were part of your wedding, not guest". Liz, thank you so much! You created our most important day! Cheers, Scott & Patrick 5/7/17

2017-07-24T17:46:54 Response from the vendor

Thank you again for inviting me to be part of your intimate day among family and close friends. There was lots of love in the room that day, and it's good to know I was the recipient of a small bit of it! So glad... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 2/13/2017 Whitney A

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Liz. She took the time to get to know my husband and I so very well, and gave us such a perfectly tailored and beautiful ceremony we will treasure for the rest of our lives. She wove in the readings we chose to her ceremony address, and... Read More so perfectly captured what we meant to each other and what our marriage meant to us (due in no short order to her diligence and quest to get to know us!). Liz is a bright, beautiful, and insightful presence--everyone kept asking if she was a family friend and commented that we had the best ceremony they had ever witnessed. She truly loves helping couples find the words and path to marriage, and does so with grace, wit, and joy. If you are in need of spiritual and deeply personal, but perhaps not religious, ceremony on your wedding day, I cannot recommend Liz more wholeheartedly. She truly is a gem, and my only hope is that we can stay in touch!

2017-02-20T14:02:54 Response from the vendor

What a pleasure guiding your beautiful selves at your wedding altar. You're a strong match for each other in so many ways. Wishing you many years of a meaningful and joyous marriage!

Reviewed on 11/12/2017 Sarah B

Liz won't disappoint. She is so personable and took the time to get to know my fiance and I and our love story. On our wedding day she spoke to gracefully and everyone loved getting to know how we met, how he proposed, and what marriage truly means. She even was so sweet and... Read More printed us a nice copy of our ceremony script for a keepsake. I can't say anything bad about Liz. She did such an amazing job and we are so happy we chose her!

2017-11-12T13:28:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the feedback, Sarah. You have found the right partner in Andrew, and I know you will have a beautiful marriage! I so enjoyed being part of your gorgeous garden wedding with so many family and friends who love you both. Always, Liz

Reviewed on 11/11/2017 Renee P

We knew the moment we sat down with Liz for the first time that she was a great fit for us! She had the exact personality we were looking for - someone who would craft us a great ceremony with personal and thoughtful details along with the ability to capture our guests... Read More attention and imagination. And that is exactly what she did. Her ceremony perfectly captured our love story, our personalities, our feelings towards each other and our hopes for the future. She was extremely helpful in getting us exactly what we wanted. I had requested for all our guests to partake in some part of the ceremony and we had the most meaningful experience when all our guests vowed to support us in our married life, thanks to Liz! I would not hesitate to recommend Liz to anyone. I think she is a great speaker, a dynamic writer and a wonderful spirit. We all truly had an engaging experience that we will always remember. Thank you Liz!

2017-11-12T13:25:50 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Renee! Love and community are really what matter, and I'm pleased to hear that both of those things were there for you both on your wedding day. My best to you and Bobby, always.

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Kelly y

This was the best Wedding ceremony is all I heard from my Family and the catering team. Liz did an outstanding job of making this feel special for my wife and myself. Making it about us, our love and becoming one as a family. Coming from out of town and not meeting Liz at first... Read More we were not sure what to expect but Liz was very good at responding to emails and getting to know our story which she brought to life in our ceremony, couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you Liz

2017-10-29T14:13:04 Response from the vendor

You're so welcome, Kelly! I am so pleased to hear that the ceremony was memorable for you and your family. And I love it that the caterers listened as well! Many, many best wishes to you and Aubrey and the boys. I know you'll make... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Alexandra D

Liz did a great job for my wedding at the Arizoina Grand Resort. The ceremony was very personalized, which I didn't even expect. You could tell she really took her time to get to know us as a couple and a family. Would definitely recommend her!

2017-10-23T23:21:34 Response from the vendor

Thank you kindly, Alexandra. I enjoyed being part of your wedding day and am pleased to hear that the ceremony was more than expected. All my best to you, your husband and your boys!

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Emily E

The most outstanding experience! After searching and searching and two weeks before the day of, still having no officiant, I stumbled upon Liz! I had no idea what to expect or what was needed on my part and Liz was a helpful and courteous guide throughout the whole process and... Read More took the initiative to learn about our story! Her communication was very efficient and she made a point to work with my schedule. Over the phone and email correspondence was professional the whole time working with Liz. She made it very clear that she would do whatever it was that we wished to be a part of the ceremony and would work with what we provided. I had already felt so flustered with doing the final touches on everything else, it was a relief to be able to leave that responsibility in someone elses hands. I was blown away once I was able to see the final product of her services. Upon the day of the wedding, She confirmed with me as well as my to be husband prior to the ceremony to assure that We were mentally there. She showed such a supreme consideration for US and our well being. it was heartwarming to see that kind of humanity. All of the steps were arranged for the ceremony (who steps where, who gives what when) etc. and it was extremely clear to understand the keywords and silent signals to provide a smooth and seamless ceremony flow. The readings that we were suggested to pick were beautifully read and she was really able to capture and entice the attention of All guests (Even the 8 year old!) She had a pleasant demeanor, an enchanting speaking voice, and a tender way with her words that truly encompassed the feeling of the day and the love between us. Her wording was elegant and clear. I had Many people after the fact Praising the service once I got the chance to sit down with them and talk. She processed the license immediately afterwards and was prompt with all other correspondence. We then received in the mail a lovely professionally printed script of the ceremony with a kind note and well wishes from Liz herself. I can only urge anyone seeking an excellent experience to reach out to Liz! Life with my Husband and I was off to a great start with her help! THANK YOU LIZ!!

2017-10-22T14:08:56 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your spirited and thorough review, Emily. I am so happy to know that our partnership was a win-win. It's especially good to know you were able to feel less stress during your wedding planning and wedding day. My best to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/08/2017 Kevin A

Liz was fantastic!! She makes the occasion very personal and very special and is receptive to the ideas that you have for your big day. The suggested readings/poems that she recommends are both appropriate and beautiful and we couldn't be happier with our choice to have her... Read More officiate our big day! You won't be disappointed!

2017-07-09T10:31:32 Response from the vendor

So happy to help you two make it legal, Kevin. Wishing you and Cameron many, many fulfilling years together!

Reviewed on 5/25/2017 Grace K

Liz was incredible! We had so many people come up to us after the ceremony and say how beautiful and how wonderful it was. One of our guests was an officiant herself and said to me "Thank goodness you didn't go with me, I could not have done that good". It was exactly what we... Read More wanted, personal, fun, and completely us. Thank you!

2017-06-11T11:12:42 Response from the vendor

What fun guiding you and your handsome man at your cheerful, fresh and fun wedding altar, Grace. And may that Unity Shot work its magic throughout your marriage! Always, Liz

Reviewed on 4/24/2017 Vince L

Liz was great! She is very professional and she communicates in a timely matter. She has a variety of ways to help you with your ceremony. From I Do's , Echos, or customized Vows. She is a terrific speaker! She added a dash of humor during my ceremony. She asked if the... Read More person who introduced us was here and if she can call him out. I said yes and it made a very memorable shout out to my friend who had to stand up and wave to everyone during the ceremony. Her prices are very reasonable and worth it.

2017-04-24T16:32:17 Response from the vendor

Thanks Vince! The little shout out to your friend was a fun moment of community building, wasn't it? And what a pleasure guiding you and your lovely bride during your wedding. The backdrop, the flowers, the people dressed so beautifully... it was a memorable day... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 4/03/2017 Jessica G

Liz was absolutely wonderful. Many of our guests had asked us after the ceremony how we knew Liz as it was evident she knew our story well. Liz put together a beautiful ceremony that we will remember forever-- it was special, personalized, and perfectly reflected our love story.... Read More We met with Liz twice before our ceremony and in those meetings + research on our wedding website, she was able to tell our story in detail. I would recommend Liz ten times over and am so grateful she was our officiant.

2017-04-04T10:55:39 Response from the vendor

Sweet Jessica, I very much appreciate your detailed feedback. Knowing that you and your guests listened to the ceremony words is the best part. You and Blake have quite the story, and I'm pleased to hear that sharing it really brought your community together. Have... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/27/2017 Kayle W

Liz was so warm and welcoming from the minute we first met her! She's easy to talk to and you can tell that she genuinely cares. We found ourselves telling stories and laughing with her way longer than we expected! :) She really went above and beyond to make sure she got a sense... Read More of us as a couple and did an amazing job writing a personal ceremony! Everyone loved our ceremony and loved how she incorporated so many personal touches.

2017-04-04T10:53:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kayle! Guiding you and your handsome man at your wedding altar was my true pleasure. I am so very happy for you both, and I know you will make the most of your marriage.

Reviewed on 3/09/2017 Peter A

Liz did an amazing job with our ceremony I can't even put it in words. She took the time to get to know us and put our story into a wonderful worded ceremony. When talking to our guest on of the first things they would say was have wonderful the ceremony was. She was a joy to... Read More work with and would recommend her in a heart beat.

2017-03-09T17:19:08 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Nikki. You and your handsome man were so present for the ceremony and it was a pleasure working with you. Long live your marriage!

Reviewed on 3/04/2017 Bridget H

I have to say I am so grateful for The Knot for helping me find Liz (Joyful Unions). I watched her videos and thought I really like her style and warmth. Here I was in snowy Boston, looking at wonderful warm views of Arizona. Without this service, it would have been hard to... Read More find her. I am so glad we did! I wrote to Liz and she reached out to me to answer any questions I had. When we spoke, I knew she would be perfect for our elopement. Liz was perfect for us, the time we spent chatting, she really connected and delivered a lovely ceremony for me and my now husband. I didn't worry a second knowing she would guide us. In about 20 minutes time, I smiled, laughed, cried a bit and was filled with so much gratitude and love for my husband. Liz was making it so special for us, using our sentiments and her words on love. It was such a beautiful ceremony that touched our souls. She made it the perfect length and really listened to us. I cannot gush enough about how present I was, because, it's clear this just isn't a job for Liz with Joyful Unions, it's her calling. Forever grateful, I will remember our short time together, but I cherish it so much. Be well Liz. May you always be surrounded by love, it makes you flourish. xo

2017-03-05T14:56:28 Response from the vendor

I love elopements! And I will always remember our secret little spot in the desert garden. Thank you, Bridget, for your generous and detailed review. I, too, am so very happy that The Knot helped us find one another. Love always to you and John.

Reviewed on 3/01/2017 Adriana O

We are so grateful Liz was part of our wedding. We felt very much at ease with her and easily opened up to her about our relationship. I think we were a bit worried that hiring an officiant would come across as impersonal, but she was able to tell our story beautifully in a way... Read More that felt very personal. We loved it, as did our guests -- we had many guests tell us how meaningful and beautiful the ceremony was. We also had many guests tell us they thought Liz was a family friend given the way she spoke about us. Also, Liz was very flexible and handled us adding things at the last minute (because we're procrastinators) without making us feel bad about it. My husband and I would enthusiastically recommend Liz to anyone!

2017-03-05T14:58:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Adriana, for your sweet review. I love hearing that your guests enjoyed the ceremony and felt that it reflected the two of you in the right ways. May you and Matt have the most fulfilling of marriages!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017 Nicole N

Liz did a wonderful job! I don't know what we would have done without her. She guided us through the whole process and made us feel comfortable during this nerve wrecking time. The ceremony was beautiful and she told our story perfectly. Thank you Liz for such a memorable day!

2017-01-23T16:49:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Nicole. I loved Camelback Mountain as your backdrop for your wedding altar, and it was a pleasure to be part of your Big Day. Happy marriage!

Reviewed on 1/16/2017 Allise F

The entire process with Liz was easy and stress free. She tailored our ceremony to be exactly what we wanted and actually to be honest was so much more. It feels really good when your guests reach out to let you know how wonderful and meaningful your wedding ceremony was to... Read More them. Liz was able to capture all audiences at our ceremony - that there says a lot! I would highly recommend Liz, she is easy to work with and is very passionate with all she does. My husband and I are forever thankful to her and her involvement in our wedding day! Thank you Liz!!!

2017-01-23T16:50:54 Response from the vendor

You are most welcome, Allise! It was great fun to be part of your unique and creative wedding. That space was the best and the family love so evident. You and Aaron are a gorgeous couple. Wishing you many many happy years of marriage!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017 Colleen G

We wanted a wedding that was meaningful without being especially religious, and Liz absolutely blew us (and our wedding guests) away. She took time to get to know us as we were planning everything, sitting down with us via FaceTime for over an hour to learn our story and why our... Read More marriage matters to us. From that, she wove together a beautiful ceremony that was articulate, heartfelt, and--most importantly--a reflection of us. We're still receiving compliments from friends and family about what a great job she did! Thank you so, SO much!!

2017-01-23T16:56:45 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your feedback, Colleen. Your love story was definitely worth telling! It was my pleasure to guide you and Daniel at your wedding altar. All my best.

Reviewed on 5/02/2016

My Husband and I are so thankful that we found Liz. She was a joy to work with. She loves what she does, she loves couples in love and it shows. She was responsive and listened to everything we had to say. She wrote and performed ceremony for us that was intimate and... Read More personal. We felt like she had know us for our entire lives with the words she said. But really, she just listened and created a ceremony tailored to us and our story. She has a warmth and ease about her that is calming and she brings so much love to the moment. I can't say enough positive things about Liz. She truly has a gift and we are so thankful that she shared that gift with us on our wedding day.

2017-01-23T16:45:45 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback! Your Japanese garden wedding was peaceful, and your calm and devoted love for each other very obvious. Happy marriage!

So special

Reviewed on 2/20/2015 Brittany B

Liz was such an amazing woman to work with!! From the beginning she listened to us and got to know my husband and I well and was able to make our ceremony so unique and tailored to us. Out of all my vendors I received the most compliments about Liz! Our guests were blown away... Read More about how thoughtful and personalized our ceremony was. We cannot thank Liz enough for her hard work and the thoughtfulness she put into making our wedding ceremony so special.

2017-01-23T16:48:14 Response from the vendor

I'm so pleased to hear that you and your guests found the ceremony so meaningful, Brittany. I very much enjoyed working with the two of you. You're a perfect fit for each other and I know you have so many years of a warm and... Read Less Read More

Liz O'Brien

I presided over my first wedding in 1994. Since then, I have honed my writing and speaking gifts, offering them to a multitude of couples in an enthusiastic, authentic, and meaningful way. Let me offer them to you, too. On a personal note, I am a native Tucsonan who has lived in Phoenix since 1990. I hold a B.A. and M.A. in Communication, and have nearly three decades of college teaching experience. Marrying my husband was unquestionably one of life's best decisions, so when I speak to you and your guests about love and marriage, I speak from my heart and experience. I love what I do!