Cakes + Desserts

3249 Scott St, San Francisco, CA (415) 563-2253

Yummmm

Reviewed on 9/10/2015 Ashlee E

This was by far the best choice made when it came to picking our wedding cake and mini cupcakes! They were delish! The delivery and set up fee were also very reasonable! The display was gorgeous! I couldn't have been happier!

Yum!!

Reviewed on 9/09/2014 Samantha S

We got mini cupcakes from Kara's for our wedding day and they did such an amazing job! Not only do they have delicious cupcakes, but we were able to get multiple flavors and little fondant designs placed on the top of the frosting! I believe they do custom Fondant designs for an... Read More added charge, but they have a whole array of complimentary ones to choose from! We chose sweet chocolate, sweet vanilla and carrot cake for our flavors, and the fondant decorations we chose were a dog, a bone and a heart. Each decoration was placed above a specific flavor and it couldn't have been cuter! We also got a 6 inch cutting cake, which was also quite delicious!! They make the process very easy and since they have a location in Palo Alto, they cupcakes were fresh and delivered the day of our wedding with no problem! Highly recommend getting cupcakes (or minis) for a wedding (people were able to pop them into their mouth while on the dance floor!) and definitely would recommend Karas!

Great alternative to the standard wedding cake

Reviewed on 12/01/2013 Nicole

I used to work at a Kara's cupcakes, so when we decided to have cupcakes at our wedding, it seemed like a natural choice. I've always loved that everything is made fresh that day, so you don't have to worry about stale or old products and that all the ingredients are natural and... Read More wholesome. And having worked at Kara's, I've tried all the flavors and I know they're good. I also liked the flexibility of being able to order any number of flavors and being able to customize the decoration on the cupcakes. Luckily our wedding colors were orange and blue, which fits right into Kara's normal fondant decor, so they didn't charge me extra for having all orange and blue decorations. You can place your order in as little as 24 hours in advance and they will have it ready for you the next day to pick up. Easy peasy. The cupcakes looked great at our wedding and the guests all loved them. We received many compliments on them. And since we live so close to this store, I'm sure we'll be enjoying many more of these cupcakes.

YUM!

Reviewed on 9/22/2013 virginia r

We had a small vanilla coconut cake for our candy buffet, since we already had dessert included with our 3 course me, but needless to say it was DELICIOUS! I LOVE COCONUT!

Yummy, even when gluten free

Reviewed on 6/25/2013 Falon K

We got the cake and cupcakes for our wedding from Kara's. We got 1.5 dozen each of 2 different gluten free mini cupcakes and 5 different regular mini cupcakes and a small gluten free cake. A handful of the people at our wedding could not have gluten, including myself. Their... Read More gluten free cupcakes are really good (you probably wouldn't know if someone didn't tell you). This is probably partially due to the fact that their frostings are amazing and already gluten free. It's also really nice that the gluten free cupcakes are the same price as the regular ones. They don't do gluten free filled cupcakes here because of equipment cross contamination possibilities, but the fillings are gluten free, so you can get a gluten free filled cake. We got Raspberry Dazzle. It was sooooo good. Everyone loved the cupcakes. They were delivered on time (the gluten free ones in separate boxes). I went in to the shop a few times before we ordered to get samples and ask questions, and Jenny was really helpful. It turned out great; a much better option than just doing a traditional cake. It looked really nice, and probably cost us a lot less than it would have to get a big gluten free wedding cake. Many thanks to Jenny and Kara's Cupcakes!

Delicious Cupcakes for a budget!

Reviewed on 10/28/2012 Jenn C

We decided to go with a fun cupcake cake for our wedding and Kara's brought our vision to life! They don't need much notice ahead of time which makes waiting for those last few rsvp's much less stressful! We were allowed to pic several flavors to accommodate our guests... Read More preferences. The price was very reasonable and they delivered right on time! To top it off, the cake was DELICIOUS!!! Many compliments from guests and it was completely gone in an hour! I highly recommend using them!

Outstanding & Yummy!

Reviewed on 1/03/2012 maria r

We 1st bought 3 cupcakes from Kara's Cupcakes and fell in love. We called the very next day & reserved our chocolate velvet 6 inch wedding cake. Customer service was awesome!! The girl over the phone was as excited as we were...We got our cake on time and in perfect... Read More condition. The cake was moist and yummy but the downfall was the frosting because it's much more thicker & rich then the chocolate velvet cupcake itself. All in all it was a great choice for our elopement.

Best Cupcakes In town for our wedding

Reviewed on 12/19/2011 holly k

We shopped all the best known bakeries & cupcake shops in all of San Francisco & Kara's came out on top. We bought a bunch of different flavors & actually loved them all. We completed the ordering paperwork for the cupcakes online & faxed it in. We then called to get the... Read More information to rent a cupcake stand. It was $50 to rent which I thought is steep, but it was convenient. We chose S'mores, Sweet Vanilla & Sweet Chocolate, had them delivered to our reception & had no issues. The cupcakes were a smashing success & we loved everything about them. Overall Kara's makes a great tasting cupcake, they charge a fair price & looked very nice in our cake stand. We were 100% happy & would recommend them to everyone.

Lack of internal communications

Reviewed on 9/29/2011 Shirley C

Placed the order with the SF store and filled out all the forms correctly indicating that the delivery will be performed by their branch store in Palo Alto (different delivery cost). Called the palo alto store about 3 days before the big day and they were clueless about my... Read More order...they had to call the SF store to check in and called me back. phew! To be fair,the girl in Palo Alto store was very nice and apologetic over the phone. glad that i called to double check or...The tier rental was a bit pricy.

So delicious!

Reviewed on 9/11/2011 Nicole H

The minute I tried a passion fruit cupcake I was sold. These cupcakes are unlike any I have ever tasted before. They are light, filled with taste but not overly sweet. I also loved that they do not use artificial food coloring in their frosting. Completing my order was very easy... Read More and I was happy with the cost of the cupcakes and tier rental. I also had a 6" cake made by them that was perfect for cake cutting. In terms of using them for a wedding, there was one thing that seemed a little surprising. I was already paying a delivery fee and closer to the date of the wedding I discovered that this did not include setting the stand and placing the cupcakes on the stand- there would have been an additional charge for this. I would think that Kara's would prefer their staff to handle the set up of the cupcakes and not just drop them off at the site. Even my wedding planner was surprised by this additional set-up fee. We were also surprised to receive a call the morning after our wedding that we were likely going to be charged for a chip in the cupcake stand. They deliver the stand unwrapped and in no protective packaging and my wedding planner did not recall a chip at all. After calling them, they agreed to not charge us for this. All together, the cupcakes were phenomenal and I would still recommend them!

Yummy yummy cupcakes!!

Reviewed on 9/08/2011 Sarah V

This review is actually for Kara's cupcakes in Palo Alto, but it's all the same ;-) To save on costs & do something a little different I decided to have cupcakes instead of cake for our wedding. We went with 4 different flavors and a small cake for my husband and I to... Read More cut. I bought a cupcake tree online that I decorated by hand. We went with their included decorations which we decided on dots & flowers fondant and paid only $6 to have navy blue (a custom color). While their cupcakes are a little pricey, they are sooo delicious! They are slightly cheaper than Sprinkles & I liked their's better. Also, they don't charge extra b/c it's for a wedding (like a cake might cost more if it's for a wedding) and we saved so much money by not having to pay a cake cutting fee at our venue ($2.50 per person plus taxes & fees!). Everyone loved & raved about the cupcakes. While we did have extras leftover (we ordered about 3 dozen extra), I thought it was better to have extra than not enough. I would highly recommend this bakery for any event and especially a wedding! :)

Delicious!

Reviewed on 8/15/2011 Claire A

Everyone loved our wedding cupcakes, and several guests went to Kara's the day after our wedding to purchase more cupcakes! The flavors are delicious, and they only use high-quality, local ingredients.

Do NOT go with Kara's

Reviewed on 8/09/2011 Julie L

I am really upset to write a bad review about Kara's because they are my FAVORITE cupcakes (I have never tasted a more delicious cupcake). In fact, I love these cupcakes so much that my fiance proposed to me by spelling out "Will you marry me?" with Kara's cupcakes. However, I... Read More had a HORRIBLE experience using them for my wedding. I ordered the cupcakes about 5 weeks in advanced and then confirmed with Kara's two days before my wedding. When I called, they had the order details all set and I confirmed with them pick-up time and everything. The day of the wedding my friend arrives to pick up the cupcakes for the wedding and they were not ready! Not only were they not ready, they hadn't even started making them! She showed up shortly after 3:00 (my confirmed pick-up time). They said, "We're sorry we had a busy day and never got to them." You don't just have a busy day and NOT get around to making someone's wedding cupcakes!!!! My friend ended up having to take whatever random cupcake they had already laying around and made....not the specific flavors that matched the name placards I had made. Truly, Kara's is not a company you can trust.

YUMMY and so cute

Reviewed on 9/14/2010 Jessica B

I used Kara's cupcakes instead of a cake, and it worked out amazingly. I had multiple flavors so that everyone could choose their flavor and I had a small top cake so my husband and I could still do the cutting of the cake ceremony. They also have the option to customize the... Read More cupcakes with designs which personalizes them nicely.

Review for Kara's Cupcakes

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Carolyn M

The cupcakes and cutting cake was amazing! Decor was simple and taste was incredible! We got complements all night about our sea salt caramel chocolate ganache cupcakes.;We did have to pick up our own cupcakes (and keep cool for transport). Delivery was very expensive!