La Jolla Woman's Club

La Jolla, CA

Ballroom, Country Club, Historic Venue

7791 Draper Avenue, La Jolla, CA (858) 454-2354

Reviewed on 5/02/2016 Liezel E

Without second thoughts, we chose La Jolla Women’s Club as our wedding reception venue. La Jolla Women’s Club is a very nice and cozy venue with a great history behind it. With a little bit of an ocean view, and walking distance from a couple of hotels and eateries, the location... Read More of the venue made it very convenient for our out-of-town guests to enjoy the area and be worry-free with parking. Auriel O’Niel (venue manager) was a pleasure to work with. She was very considerate and accommodating of our special request based on traditions from our family, and she offered us a very reasonable price that we could not turn down. A couple of other good things with the venue is that the vendor (Best Rentals San Diego) who decorates the venue already has his decorations there, and the venue also only works with BarWorks for catered beverage service. So it was very convenient for us in not having to look for other vendors for this. Both vendors are very reasonable to work with. The only downside to booking a venue at his location is the noise ordinance, which ended our reception early, but in past weddings we’ve been to, it’s starting to seem like the norm. Guests wouldn’t be dancing throughout the night, and some would be leaving early. In our case, it made our families and friends dance during the time frame, and the noise ordinance was perfect timing for other guests to leave early without feeling guilty, while others moved the party to other places, like local bars—it gave them the chance to explore La Jolla’s night life.

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 11/09/2014 Jennifer V

My husband and I were married at the La Jolla Women’s Club in July. The venue is located in La Jolla Village right across from the ocean. It is walking distance from many hotels, which worked perfectly for us since most of guests were from out of town. Although it is located... Read More in a busy area, it is very peaceful and private. The venue itself it absolutely beautiful, with all the flowers surrounding the gardens, very little decoration is needed. Sharlene was excellent to work with. She was so helpful throughout the planning process. She is very knowledgable about the area and vendors. She provided us with a helpful list of suggested vendors. The only required vendor is BarWorks, but the prices were reasonable and they provided excellent service. Sharlene was always very warm and welcoming during all of our visits to the club and gave us a lot of extra suggestions to help us during all of the planning. I would definitely recommend the La Jolla Women’s Club for weddings and events!

Happy Day !

Reviewed on 10/31/2014

I got married at the La Jolla Womans Club and I couldn't have enough nice things to say about the venue. The grounds are beautiful and this history that comes with the building in itself is spectacular. With that being said my now husband and I had the best day!! It was a... Read More busy day in La Jolla and my initial worry was that the wedding was going to start late but all my guests made it on time and the wedding started right on time. A special shout out to the La Jolla Womans Club staff because they went out of their way to save some parking spots for some of my guests that had difficulty walking! I couldn't be more appreciative of the work and effort that went into our wedding !!

Destination Wedding

Reviewed on 10/29/2014

I was in the wedding party of my best friends wedding a couple of weeks ago and everyone had so much! Her ceremony was outside and after cocktail hour we had a live band play for the reception. What I loved most about the venue was was that it had just as many outdoor gardens... Read More and terraces as there was indoor ballrooms space! although once the dancing started, everyone was on the dance floor and when it was time to go we just wanted to continue the party. So we walked to a local bar down the street and continued the night! Overall, based on my experience as a guest (and bridesmaid) I was so happy for my friend and her new husband. They were constantly smiling and laughing and clearly enjoyed themselves, the drinks, the food, and the venue. I don't think they could of asked for a better day. Working closely with my best friend I had the opportunity to work with Sharlene the previous event manager who made sure everything was prepped and ready to go the day-of and the current event manager Auriel and her staff made sure everything went according to plan the day-of! I'm sold ! If only I was getting married, I would love to have this team for my wedding! xo

Dream wedding in a historic venue under an oak tree!

Reviewed on 9/21/2014 Maressa C

"My husband and I loved having our wedding at the LJWC! It was truly a special and magical day - and better than we imagined it to be. The venue was perfect - we loved that it was historic and set back from the street. There are also so many places around the venue for... Read More photographic opportunities that each had their own character. We felt like the club was a special guest at the wedding. I am still in love with your oak tree and that we could hang a chandelier in it! All the vendors worked well together and as far as we know, there were no problems! We really appreciate all the communication we had with you throughout the process and I know it helped to make our day flow seamlessly. We received positive feedback from our guests about how special and beautiful the wedding was and people even commented that parking was not a problem. We had worried that it might be. We also loved how walkable La Jolla is and that guests were able to enjoy a mini weekend in LJ and not have to worry about renting a car to get from their hotel to the venue since there are many wonderful hotels within walking distance. We would highly recommend the LJWC for any couple looking for an elegant and historic venue. We would also recommend all of our vendors: Wedding Planner - Andrea with A Diamond Celebration, Cute Cakes in Escondido, Crown Point Catering, Bar Works, Haydee's Creative Flowers, Michael Tiernan with Still Listening Productions, Anika London for Photography, XOXO Wedding Studio for Videography, Kristen at Rock and Royal Make Up Studio, the Holiday Suite at the Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla (next door to the LJWC!), and Mario with Best Rentals."

Magical Historic Property with Ocean Views!

Reviewed on 9/09/2014 Amy L

La Jolla Woman's Club captured us as soon as we walked through the gates and never ceased to amaze. The historic building and the outdoor landscape design instantly welcomes you into this intimate private setting for all your wedding guests to enjoy. The 100 year-old building... Read More enhanced our 1920s vintage/modern themed wedding too. It was a perfect location for us; walking distance from the hotel (Inn By the Sea - highly recommended as well. Can't beat the location, service and price point) and all the weekend activities. Plus a quick drive to La Jolla Cove for wedding pictures. We have absolutely no regrets on this venue and would chose this place if we had to do it all over again. Working with Sharlene Thompson, the Executive Director for LJWC was a nice experience. She is professional, responsive, and fair; and will give it to you straight (something I appreciate). Tip: She holds weekly open houses, so you can drop in for a visit as often as you'd like. I took full advantage of these open houses. It's always fun to check out your venue in the months leading up to your big day. We hosted our ceremony in the South Garden, which had this loving, intimate feel with beautiful natural scenery. Cocktail hour was planned for the North Garden, but at the same time a colony of bees decided to build their new nest around their Queen, so it was relocated to the South Garden (Guests could have cared less). We like to think of it as good wedding-day fortune. The reception was held in the ballroom. The space allows for people to dance the night away and/or enjoy some fresh air while watching the La Jolla sunset. A great time was had by all. Go check this place out!

Fairytale San Diego Wedding

Reviewed on 9/08/2014 Janna S

What we love about San Diego is Balboa Park with its gardens and fountains, the proximity to the beach, and the great weather. At La Jolla Woman's Club you get all of that but better! It has a very Balboa feel (beautiful gardens and a fountain) while being a nice private venue... Read More that is not possible at Balboa. Plus, it is very short walking distance to the beach and having our family all staying in La Jolla meant we "took over the town" for a few days which was very fun and surreal (we had lots of international family). Also, all our guests were so excited to visit/stay at San Diego, and the well known La Jolla especially. Sharlene (who runs the venue) is absolutely wonderful I (the bride) is a San Diego native, but we were planning the wedding from the east coast. Sharlene was very professional and able to help us get good contacts, answer any questions promptly, and solve any problems. We would recommend this venue to everyone! It will always be a special place for us now!

It rained....and my day was better than imagined!!

Reviewed on 8/16/2014 Christina G

The minute I laid eyes on the La Jolla Women's Club I simply knew that was where I was meant to get married! I had visions of walking down the brick aisle and getting married to my wonderful fiancé (now husband) in the gorgeous serene garden. Every contact with Sharlene was... Read More helpful and she always answered my questions promptly. So far everything was going great! I never thought to ask, "what do we do if it rains?". Why would we have asked-California is in a draught and the wedding would be in August! Well go figure, it rained the day of our wedding-August 2, 2014. I couldn't believe it! I received a call from Sharlene assuring me they had an idea for where we could move the ceremony. I insisted we wait until the last minute to move the ceremony from the garden to the veranda. By the time we arrived at the venue, the rain was obviously not going to stop. I saw how Sharlene and Mario set up the ceremony to be under the veranda right next to the original garden ceremony location. It was beautiful!! My husband and I are so grateful for Sharlene, Mario and our wedding coordinator. Our wedding day was actually better than we could have imagined. They worked so hard to make sure our day was wonderful. Our wedding was unforgettable. We had an amazing ceremony outside under the veranda as it rained. The green all around was stunning. Our cocktail hour was simply moved inside right by the garden. With all the doors and window open, it was like we were outside. We truly think our day was better than how we originally planned. I feel so lucky to have picked the La Jolla Women's club because there are endless possibilities no matter the weather. At another venue, we would have had no other option for a ceremony. I had nothing to worry about on my big day. Sharlene and crew took care of it all and were excellent at troubleshooting I strongly recommend the La Jolla Women's Club. It is worth every single dollar to ensure your day runs smoothly, no matter what mother nature has in store for your big day!!

April Wedding

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Ashley C

I got married in April at the La Jolla Woman's Club in the heart of La Jolla. Our guests were able to walk from their hotel at the Empress to this venue with ease. This historic building is well-maintained and felt so inviting. We had our ceremony in the south-side garden. The... Read More flowers and trees were all in bloom and gorgeous. There was already a beautiful arch to stand underneath during the ceremony. This venue was very intimate and private. They had lights on the trees at night which provided us with some great night pictures with our photographer. It was a pleasure working with Sharlene. She was easy to communicate with and responded promptly to any emails. She and her staff went out of their way to make our experience a great one.

2014-05-21T14:04:16 Response from the vendor

Ashley, Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your wedding at the club. We do appreciate them! Sharlene

Perfect place for a great wedding!

Reviewed on 2/22/2014 Gulin E

La Jolla Woman's club is the best location for any occasion. I love the garden and the building itself. Located close to the beach and never had trouble with parking although it is in the heart of La Jolla Village. We had our wedding beginning of November 2013 and it was... Read More just perfect. Our ceremony took place in the south garden where it is more private and the bar was set up in the north garden. Our guests enjoyed themselves while we took stroll down to the beach for some sunset shots. Our reception was indoors but you have the option to have it outside. It almost never rains in San Diego but we wanted to have a location where indoor/outdoor set up can be possible without and additional worry. Only down side is if you want to party long hours into the night you need take it to another location after 9:30 since the music needs to be turned down due neighborhood noise ordinance. Sharlene is the executive director and she is great with everything when it comes to planning. We had a short time to put everything together (3-4 months) and to be honest we didn't know all need to be taken care of. Sharlene was very helpful making sure we had everything straight. Se has her checklist and makes sure nothing is forgotten. She is prompt with emails and very professional. We were very lucky to have her, through out planning our wedding and on the day of. She was instrumental in our amazing experience at LJWC. We had a perfect wedding day!

Perfect Outdoor Wedding Location

Reviewed on 10/21/2013 Karen P

We feel so lucky to have found La Jolla Woman's Club for our wedding! The venue is fantastic, with lots of options to fit your style of wedding and it fit our vision of an alfresco garden wedding perfectly. Our guests keep commmenting on what a great location we had. Sharlene... Read More was so easy to work with and had lots of great suggestions to help our day run smoothly.

great venue

Reviewed on 10/14/2013 Melissa m

Nothing but good things to say about Sharlene and the La Jolla Woman's Club. From the beginning Sharlene was quick to respond to emails and answered all of my questions. As long as you are ok following the set guidelines it is a great venue. We had our ceremony, cocktail hour,... Read More and reception there and I loved that there were so many different spaces to use.

Wonderful Place

Reviewed on 8/27/2013 Mia S

The most beautiful and versatile location for a wedding. Each location on the grounds served our needs perfectly and gave our guests a wonderful variety in setting as we progressed from one part of the wedding to the next. We could not have asked for better service or a more... Read More amazing venue.

An enchanting and charming treasure of a venue

Reviewed on 8/24/2013 Naketa S

The moment we walked into this breathtakingly pristine place, we both just knew that we were meant to get married there. There is something just so enchanting about this place, as if you've walked into a different time. Our wedding was in November-- the weather and the venue's... Read More foliage and flowers could not have been more perfect. We had our ceremony in the south garden, which is this gorgeous, cozy nook with looming trees and greenery lit with delicate string lights. It gave our occasion such a magical, romantic vibe. We loved that we found a venue that could be a one-stop affair for both the ceremony and reception. After the ceremony, there's an amazing terrace where we had a cocktail hour with the bar for the evening. And our guests loved it because they could see the ocean, which is only a block away. The ballroom is the center of the building and has a wonderfully inviting warmth that adds to LJWC's charm. We were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the price was for the venue. Not only that but it's such a beautiful palette of decor, inside and out, that no matter what your color scheme or theme is, it will fit perfectly. One of the greatest bonuses of getting married here is Sharlene Thompson, the manager of the venue. She is one of the most caring, helpful, patient, informative, and generous people we've ever had the pleasure to know. We felt honored by how special she made us feel during our wedding preparations. To have someone so delightful, professional, and available to assist you in your wedding process is nothing short of a gift. I cannot say enough things about how positive and incredible our experience was and how much she played a part in it. We truly had the wedding of our dreams. I highly recommend this stunning historical venue for your big day.

La Jolla Women's Club

Reviewed on 8/20/2013 Abigail B

Loved the venue, staff and our wedding day

La Jolla Woman's Club, CA

Reviewed on 8/13/2013 Christy D

I got married at La Jolla Woman's Club in November 2012. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!! The venue offers many options... you can have a quaint wedding in the garden, or a larger wedding on the front lawn (what I opted for), then you can have cocktails in... Read More numerous places (I picked the western patio that offered some views of sunset and the ocean), and then you have more choices about where to have a sit down meal!!.. any of the outdoor areas or covered or non-covered patios or inside the hall (I opted for this). Since my wedding was to be in November, but I was viewing the grounds in May and June, I worried the "look" I was anticipating would fall flat once the colder weather hit San Diego, but I was wrong. The landscaping at LJWC is always impeccable, no matter what time of year, and even though the large tree had lost some leaves, my pictures turned out better than I envisioned. The photo options are endless! In the beginning, I was worried about the block of time you are allowed, and opted to pay an extra fee to extend the wedding another hour, and in the end I was very glad I did that. I did have my ceremony and reception at the site, so if you're just having a reception there, you may be good with the allotted 5 hours. If you are doing both the ceremony and reception, you may want to think about adding extra time, especially if you have a DJ there and a crowd that likes to dance! LJWC did not charge extra to have the rehearsal at the site, which was an added bonus. Overall, very very pleased my husband and I chose La Jolla Woman's Club for our wedding venue!

LJWC

Reviewed on 8/12/2013 Brittany

We absolutely loved the location and the venue itself...our wedding was intimate and beautiful! Everything is very clear and specific in the contract, but we just wish that there could have been a little more flexibility with the timing and choice of vendors to use without... Read More having additional charges. Otherwise, the staff was mostly friendly and professional.

Wonderful reception venue

Reviewed on 7/24/2013 Kimberley S

I never write reviews but I honestly thought the La Jolla Women's Club was the best part about my wedding. Everyone couldn't stop talking about how much they loved it. The only unfortunate thing is that the music has to end by 9:30, but we just headed over to Bar Fly for an... Read More after party which was really fun too! La Jolla Women's Club was one of the best decisions I made!

SUPERB VENUE

Reviewed on 7/01/2013 Jacqueline D

I got married here 1 month ago, and it was a delight working with executive director, Sharlene Thompson, to ensure all things went smoothly for the big day. She was nearly always available to meet and responded quickly to any questions I had via email and/or phone. Sharlene... Read More was attentive to my needs and went above and beyond expectations in all the details I was made aware of especially when I had so much on my mind as the date got closer. I truly admire the architecture of this Irving Gill building, and my guests gave me so many compliments afterwards on picking such a gorgeous venue to have a wedding. Everything is in one location - ceremony and reception right in the same spot! How convenient! I got married under the large oak tree, in full bloom it was spectacular! The south garden is also exquisite, and this is where we took our pictures right after the ceremony. You are a walk away from the ocean and right across from the Museum of Contemporary Art making for great photo opportunities for the wedding party and guests. Located at the corner of Silverado St. and Draper Ave., there are plenty of parking spots for everyone (I had 170+ people attend). The night went smoothly, and I cannot emphasize how nice it was to have everything in this one location, at the heart of La Jolla of all places! None of my guests left until it was all over. I've received so many compliments on my wedding, and I believe a lot has to do with the wonderful services the La Jolla Woman's Club has to offer. The rich history and selfless dedication to women today makes this non-profit organization especially close to my heart. They are SUPERB!!! My wedding was one to remember, and I plan to visit this place during our anniversaries. You'll fall in love it with too, I guarantee it!

Amazing!!!!

Reviewed on 6/26/2013 midory e

Beautiful place! My now husband and I fell in love with this place for so many reasons. From the location, to the gardens, to the amazing help and patience from Sharlene. This place is so iconic architecturally, so to be able to get married here was a dream come true. And what... Read More makes a beautiful place better? Amazing help from the event coordinator; Sharlene. She was not only super helpful with information but was unbelievably sweet. We went to the venue about a million times to mock up our ideas and she was always so welcoming and would even help us brainstorm on what we could do! It was just such a lovely experience from start to finish! We couldnt have had a more perfect experience with the La Jolla Woman's Club and Sharlene! LOVE!

The perfect venue for our needs

Reviewed on 6/22/2013 Angie I

We came across La Jolla Woman's Club early in our venue search. It offered almost everything that I was looking for -- close to beaches, hotels nearby, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception space in one location, and vintage charm. When my husband and I first visited the venue... Read More for the first time, we both knew that it was perfect for our day. We had a lot of out-of-town guests and they all loved having the wedding festivities located within walking distance from hotels and beaches. The ceremony garden was beautiful for our June 1 wedding. Our photos took place during cocktail hour in the garden and at Cuvier Park at the beach -- both locations provided absolutely gorgeous settings. Sharlene always made time to meet with me and welcomed our visits to the venue whenever we had questions or needed to check out a particular space. I believe one area of opportunity to improve the clients' and guests' experience is to allow people on the property a few minutes prior to the event start time for seating. Our ceremony/event time was from 5 to 10 pm and we had to pay an additional fee to have the gates opened at 4:45 pm to allow our guests to be seated for the ceremony. I wanted to create a warm welcome and didn't want their first impressions to be standing outside the gate waiting for the ceremony, so it was worth the additional cost. I appreciated having a wide range of caterers to choose from. The preferred alcohol vendor BarWorks was a pleasure to work with and we found them very affordable. We have a pretty rowdy group so I was a bit concerned about having the last dance at 9:30 pm, but it turned out to be perfect. We had the dance floor full the entire time, and for those who wanted to continue the celebration we planned an after party at Hennessey's Tavern La Jolla. (We talked to a few bars in La Jolla and they were by far the most welcoming.) Overall, there were no surprises with the venue the day of. I was very pleased that all of our guests had a blast and loved the venue as much as my husband and I did.

Wedding Reception on March 23, 2013

Reviewed on 3/29/2013 Kay F

We were thrilled with our choice of The La Jolla Women's Club for our daughter's wedding reception in March 2013! Sharlene is such an amazing coordinator! She held an Open House last March 2012 to introduce us to her excellent vendors (caterers, photographers, bar service,... Read More lighting etc.)so we could decide which to use. They all were excellent and we are indebted to Sharlene for guiding us through this daunting process. The beautiful, historically designated architecture is what captured our attention. It is a photographer's delight! The gardens and landscaping are breathtaking! The venue is reasonably priced considering we got to use this gorgeous setting. Every detail was addressed as Sharlene worked closely with our wedding planner, Irene Gonzales, to insure our day would be absolutely perfect and it was!

More amazing than expected!

Reviewed on 1/06/2013 Rebecca L

Where do I start? From beginning to end this place was perfect. We worked with Sharlene. What can I say? She is AMAZING. She was so involved and helped me through every step. She even had suggested other vendors to help me figure out who I should use. The venue itself is large... Read More enough for 200+. We had about 115 people. It was the perfect spot for us. We had the wedding ceremony outside and the reception inside. The scenery was absolutely beautiful for our ceremony and inside was just as stunning. I was pleasantly surprised and cried when I walked in to get ready for the day. It was that breath taking. Thank you La Jolla Woman's Club. Thank you Sharlene!

A beautiful, iconic location for a perfect day

Reviewed on 8/23/2012 Lisa S

This is an iconic, historically significant venue that is perfectly San Diego. Irving Gill architecture and Kate Sessions gardens? It's a beautiful venue. The gardens in the back provide an amazing setting for the ceremony, and the interior is quite lovely, especially the... Read More stained glass window. I know in the past that some people have had issues with the club's old manager, but I have nothing but good things to say about Sharlene, the current manager. She was completely professional, very accessible, and always willing to give advice or answer questions. I appreciated how clear the contract was, as it made it very easy to know what to expect. The club does have some very strict rules about things like flower petals and candles, but given the historical importance of the building, it's to be expected and completely understandable. Read the contract carefully so you know them, but beyond those rules, Sharlene was flexible and accommodating. My only advice is to remember that the music needs to stop at 9:30pm and to plan accordingly. My guests just loved this venue, and I really would recommend this venue.

La Jolla Woman's Club - Reception Venue March 3 20

Reviewed on 7/10/2012 Juliana H

We used the La Jolla Woman's Club as our reception venue and could not have been more pleased. As soon as my wife and I walked into the Club, we knew this was the spot for us with the classic interior architecture and the romantic garden areas outside. The way the venue looked... Read More on our wedding day far exceeded our expectations. We received many compliments from our guest on our choice of the LJWC as a reception venue. Of course, we had a lot of help in putting our wedding together, and we can not say enough about how much Sharlene Thompson, LJWC executive, helped us with our preparatIon. She was always available to speak by phone or in person, and was a great guide in how we could maximize the Club grounds while staying within our budget. If you want to have your wedding in La Jolla, an excellent choice. Best of Luck, Derek and Juliana