Specializing in Weddings

Food + Catering

9502 Lake Street, Ellsworth, MI

Unorganized/ stay away

Reviewed on 8/05/2014 Allison W

AMOT did not communicate well what so ever. The day of my wedding the owner called to talk about bar tending services I already had. The night of my wedding they came to my parents then myself asking for our final payment!!! Which we already paid months in advance! How... Read More embarrassing! They said their computers crashed, and didn't have record. Thankfully I kept all my emails And I had proof of payment. The food was good minus their stuffed ravioli which was empty. My mother inlaw called to see what the deal was and the owner fully knew and stated she noticed after they cooked them that all the stuff came out- and yet they served it. This company does NOT have good communication skills- and lack serious organization. Id rather have catered my own wedding... That's how stressful they made it for us. It's not worth the price. Period.

Two thumbs down

Reviewed on 7/04/2014 TkN T

If good communication skills are important to you, run! A Matter of Taste consistently failed to answer phone calls and emails. We signed with them because they simply tasted best. But the months of trying to figure out a plan was torture. They were unresponsive and had SO MANY... Read More mistakes in their invoice. They conveniently forgot to deduct our deposit from the final bill. We pointed this out and it wasn't corrected until their third attempt. As for the foods: Our cheese platter was supposed to come with fruits. Nope, only cheese. We were promised appetizers will keep coming if guests finish them. Nope, appetizers ran out quickly. The meats were dry (overcooked) and the pasta was raw/undercooked. Overall, AMOT needs to get their acts together.

2014-07-05T08:11:15 Response from Ginny, the member

Your wedding looked amazing! Were sincerely sorry that you were not satisfied. Early on we should have recommend you hire a wedding planner, because we are a catering service supplying a complete catering/bar service. Your wedding was unique because of custom menu with so many... Read Less Read More

An excellent experience working with Ginny!

Reviewed on 11/21/2013 Michelle O

A Matter of Taste catered our wedding at Castle Farms. We are not from the area and we had 164 out of town quests. We had a rehearsal dinner for immediate family and our wedding party as well as a Sunday Brunch for all of our wedding guests at her establishment. She was very... Read More flexible and worked with us to ensure we could pull off everything we envisioned for the weekend. We met with other caterers in the area, but her flexibility and commitment to serving high quality food with exceptional service was not comparable. We decided on family style service for the wedding and it worked out perfectly - our family and friends are accustomed to high quality meals (its the norm where we live), and they all raved about the food and everyone had more than enough to eat - this is often a complaint when we are out of our home town for events. We were pleased to present all of our travelling guests with wonderful food for the entire weekend. Ginny ensured all of the little details we were hoping for happened by recommending local vendors to rent items from and working with other service providers to communicate our wishes. Our Sunday brunch was perfect; An amazing spread was set up throughout the late morning and early afternoon. Ginny's help was invaluable for us - planning an out of town wedding can be trying, but she did everything in her power to ensure we were satisfied and the weekend lived up to our expectations - it surpassed our expectations - We wouldn't have had such a wonderful experience without her and the food was TO DIE FOR! We would recommend A Matter of Taste to anyone planning an event in the area. Their spot on the lake is absolutely gorgeous and when we went for our tasting we knew we wanted to add it to our weekend agenda. Her staff was very pleasant and Ginny and her husband are a dedicated team, doing everything in their power to enhance your experience, fill your stomachs, and surpass your greatest expectations - for us, they did all of that and more!

Thank you!

Reviewed on 10/30/2013

Ginny made our dream wedding possible! That sounds dramatic but it is beyond true. We wanted a backyard wedding at my parent’s lake house on Burt Lake. The first caterer we met with wanted an insane amount of money that would use the majority of our wedding budget and needed us... Read More to rent all equipment for her. After choosing a venue in Petoskey my parents could tell I was not happy and told me to try again and find a caterer that would make our dream wedding work. I found Ginny!! Ginny had all equipment and was enthusiastic to make our backyard wedding possible with great food as well! The food was amazing! My Uncle (from New York) has continuously been requesting the salad recipe! Having Ginny, her husband Gregg and her staff at our home to make us dinner felt like having family there! They were flexible when the timing of dinner changed a bit and always were smiling! A great surprise was Shannon; A Matter of Taste’s catering coordinator. I cannot say enough about Shannon’s upbeat, bright personality. She even synched with the guitarist to send the bridal party out for the processional, keeping us all calm and focused. Being a backyard DIY wedding, we needed all the help we could get and Shannon helped make the details fall into place! I guarantee after meeting Ginny and Gregg for a tasting you will have no doubts, absolutely amazing people and food! Xoxo!

Great food

Reviewed on 5/14/2013 Molly W

Wonderful service, great food!

Wedding Caterer

Reviewed on 1/21/2013 Denisse

The organization/booking process was a little tedious, and there was a lot of unreturned calls, unreturned emails, etc throughout the entire time up to the day of the wedding. The appetizers for the cocktail hour were about 30 minutes late and got cold surprisingly quick. The... Read More dinner was prompt and was served very nicely and professionally, however the taste was a bit bland and the beef bourgeon was not stew-like with the amount of vegetables it should have, it was more like dry-like pieces of beef with one potato to the side, not what it should've been. Same with the chicken, the sauce that I'm guessing should've been served on top of the chicken breast, wasn't there (or barely) so the chicken although tasty was a tad dry. Same with the green beans, pretty bland. Overall a pleasant experience and decently priced, but not exactly what I had in mind for our wedding.

Great fresh modern food

Reviewed on 10/06/2012 Meghann G

The food was greatb& they were able to creat a few things at our request!

TO Lake Michigan Catering