authentic images | open heart | in the moment

I could pull out my thesaurus and come up with some pretty creative words to describe my style and who I am but instead I'd rather take it straight from the mouths of those I have had the pleasure of celebrating with. Here goes..... Her pictures are fully conceived creations without ever looking contrived or cliche | Maija has that untrainable knack for capturing a person in their best, expressive moment | Maija did an absolutely beautiful job capturing the happiest day of our lives. When planning the wedding I knew I wanted the absolute best when it came to my photographer. She is extremely easy to work with and feel comfortable around, which I feel is a MUST. The more comfortable you are... the more real your pictures truly are | She truly puts her heart and soul into what she does.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Lifestyle

Bridal Portraits, Engagement, Trash The Dress

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Digital Files, Online Proofing, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Wedding Albums

Boise Based | Washington Grown | Happy Traveler (208) 854-7059

Reviewed on 10/26/2017 Kelli G

Maija Karin Photography – No words can express how perfect she made our wedding!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahahahha I scream with honest excitement every time I think about it. Pictures are EVERYTHING to me! What she doesn’t know is that we had a photographer and I came across some of... Read More her pictures online. I decided why not call. Instant LOVE! She had to be ours! The next time chatting, with of course wine, I was even more excited. Words cannot begin to describe the personal and emotional connection we made. Just look at our wedding photos! Everyone talks about how magical our wedding was and how our photographer truly was able to capture it. My Mom told me it was like we were best friends for years! She can up with photos and captured details that I have seen no other photographer do (I work for a wedding planner as a side job). Her added touches are so special. She truly puts her heart and soul into what she does. She is beyond the total package. I don’t just say these things, I truly mean them. We all fell in love with her and her work. When you get married it is a blur and to be able to look back at pictures and truly relieve it all because of the photos, is more than I thought would ever happen. She captured our love, our emotion, my craziness and my baby girl Bella (My dog) perfectly. She took the things and people we love and made a breathtaking story for us. Ryan and I have already told her she is not leaving our lives and cannot wait to have her capture more events in our lives. She came in as our wedding photographer, but has become so much more to us, our families and our hearts! Without a doubt, Maiji will be the ONLY photographer that I recommend. She will exceed and keep exceeding your expectations. AHHHHHHHHHHHH she is remarkable inside and out!

2017-10-26T14:16:10 Response from the vendor

You have me in tears!! What a blessing you guys are to me. I am the lucky one!! And it's true, you are not getting rid of me :) stuck with me for the long haul! I can't wait to hang with you guys again... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/22/2018 Sydney A

Maija is outstanding and it is no mistake that all of the reviews here are 5 stars. We worked with Maija for our engagement photos and our wedding and my wife and I are blown away by her work. Maija was very creative with our sessions and she was great at getting real and... Read More candid looking shots even though we are far from experienced in front of the camera. Maija really took the time to get to know us and she was great at listening and filing away small things that we would say. My wife and I put a lot of effort into doing a lot of the decorations in our wedding ourselves and Maija made sure to get really cool shots of the work that we did and she just picked that up from our conversations. Maija was very prepared with ideas of where and what to shoot, but she was outstanding at going with the flow and getting truly natural photos. We had high winds during our pre-wedding photos and she was fantastic at making it fun and getting photos that look outstanding even if we were about to blow away. We had a lot of fun working with Maija and we could not be happier with her and we cannot recommend her enough to anyone looking for a great photographer.

2018-03-22T23:39:17 Response from the vendor

Chris and Sydney, Thank you so so much for your generous and kind words!! You two were absolutely amazing to work with - genuine from the inside out. And I gotta say, I'm kinda happy the wind decided to show up on your big day... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/21/2017 Molly G

We are so glad that we chose Maija to be our wedding photographer! In planning our wedding, my husband and I both agreed that our photos were of paramount importance. We wanted someone with an artistic eye, but that would capture us vividly and timelessly, all while being a... Read More pleasure to interact with. Maija was all that and more! Our engagement session introduced us to Maija's easy-going demeanor, professionalism and adventurous spirit. We immediately relaxed and felt at complete ease with her. We were sincerely excited to have her join us on our wedding day! The big day was equally fabulous, with Maija spending hours seamlessly slipping through both sides of the wedding party, the ceremony and reception to capture perfect portraits, emotion-filled candids, and stunning detail shots. Maija trekked all over our farm-like venue with us, and made us all laugh, relax, and feel totally cared for throughout. We have received so many compliments on our wedding photos, and they are everything we could have wished for (and more!) Maija was truly an excellent investment, and we've recommended her to friends and family several times since!

2017-07-21T15:15:17 Response from the vendor

Molly and Josh you two are the best!! I am over the moon thankful that our paths crossed. It was not only a blessing to be a part of your wedding day and capture all your sweet memories, but I love that we have a... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/30/2018 Katie B

Maija was amazing to work with. We didn't meet until our wedding day, but having seen her beautiful portfolio and talking with her regularly prior to our big day made me feel at ease. She was great with supplying needed timelines for the day and making sure that we were all on... Read More the same page with essential photos for the day. Photography of our wedding was one of big importance to us. I see it as being the main memorabilia of our wedding. Maija's work is incredible.  I am BEYOND ECSTATIC to have the photographs that we do of our day. They are so perfect. Maija was made to be a photographer, she has such an eye for it! On a side note, Maija captured beautiful photographs of my husband's grandmother with all of us, and just him dancing with her that are priceless now, as shortly after she was diagnosed with advanced cancer and is no longer with us. In summary, I would ABSOLUTELY 100000000% recommend Maija to photograph your wedding. Paying slightly less is not worth it. You want to have quality and reliable work, trust me. You've got one shot at having photographs taken of your big day. Maija's photos make you feel like a movie star and put you back to the moment they were being captured. They enable you to relive your day every time you flip through your wedding album. Katie and Darcy Murphy

Reviewed on 2/12/2018 Sunny P

We used Maija for our September wedding at Jug Mountain Ranch in McCall, and our photos turned out beyond anything we could have expected! Maija was so easy to work with helped with all of the details around the photography. She did such a diligent job with our wedding site.... Read More Having never shot there before, Maija went up a day early to scope out the best locations and times for the perfect wedding photos. They turned out beautifully! Would definitely recommend Maija for your wedding. xoxo

2018-02-12T15:48:15 Response from the vendor

It was such a pleasure being a part of your elegant mountain backdrop wedding! Everything was stunning! I'm thankful you chose me - You two are wonderful and I hope to see you again :)

Reviewed on 11/27/2017 Hillary S

We loved having Maija shoot our wedding! I'm pretty awkward in front of a camera and she did a good job making me feel comfortable. Every time we look back at our pictures we can't help but smile - it was such a special day for us and she captured all the emotion and beauty so... Read More well. Also, our photos were almost entirely under tree cover and in dappled shade. While a less skilled photographer might have a hard time handling that weird quality of light, she ended up making everything look as magical as it was. Just look at our photos! She's also super organized! Her planning documents really helped us start thinking about timelines, etc, and what was doable. We ended up getting a wedding coordinator about two months before the wedding and she did a wonderful job working with the wedding planner and weaving in our prior plans to make sure everything went smoothly. During the wedding she was super professional. If we were to do it all over again, we'd pick Maija again in a heartbeat.

2017-11-27T23:25:21 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Hillary & Chris! Your words mean a ton. It was so wonderful working with you guys and I loved learning about some of the very unique elements of you two and your wedding details. Like your rings! Most unique wedding rings... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Toni S

Maija Karin Photography- When my daughter got engaged, we l9oked around for some9ne to capture this special day! We found Maija's website and fell in love with her artistic ability she captures in each pic, her joyful personality and her true caring nature to get each photo to... Read More represent the story behind the couple. I would highly recommend Maija for all your photography needs. My second daughter just got engaged and I've booked Maija for a destination wedding this time. We were thrilled with what she created and can't wait to see what see comes up with next!

2017-10-31T22:36:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you Toni! You know I absolutely adore your family and I'm so honored and blessed that you invite me along to such important moments like your daughters getting married. I greatly appreciate your kinds words :)

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Emily W

Maija is amazing! There are not adequate words to justly describe her talent. Choosing our wedding photographer was probably the biggest decision we made through the whole process (even more than finding the right dress). You spend almost as much time with your photographer... Read More as you do with your beloved, and these are the memories that will hang in your house for a lifetime. Maija is wonderful to work with! She’s incredibly organized, and available whenever you need, leading up to the day, and the day of she was able to blend in seamlessly like part of the family. But those traits are just a bonus to the incredible quality of photos she takes. She has that “it” factor! She sees things in a way others don’t, and manages to capture light in a way that can’t be taught. She is truly marvelous!

2017-10-30T16:28:11 Response from the vendor

Oh my goodness Emily, thank you!! I loved being part of your special day. I have said it before, but I'll say it again - all of the MANY MANY unique and thought out details for your big day and the help it took to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Heather K

I can’t rave about Maija enough. She is a delight to work with and a phenomenal photographer. Maija’s photography beautifully highlights the love, fun, and uniqueness of our wedding day and our family and friends. She felt like one of the gang as she spent the day with us,... Read More and I love that her photos capture the fun and personalities of everyone involved. Every time we look at the photos we are transported back to the sheer joy of our wedding day. Maija’s photos capture the sheer happiness, love, and companionship between my new husband and me and the support and friendship of our friends and family, and I recommend her unhesitatingly.

2017-10-30T16:30:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you Heather! What fun it was to celebrate with you and Rex and your whole crew. The laid back vibe mixed with elegance was perfection. I loved being a part of it! Thank you again.

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Amanda L

Maija and her second photographer did such an amazing job on our wedding photos. They felt like there were supposed to be a guest at our wedding and not someone we paid to be there. Since, we had a destination wedding we talked through Skype and phone conversations. From the... Read More beginning, Maija was caring and made me feel at ease as a bride. Throughout the planning months she checked in with us to make sure we were following our timeline and also sent us a sweet gift. The minute we met, we felt like we had known her forever. Her great professionalism and humor made it easy to have her be a part of our special day. Maija was very flexible and knew what to say when wedding festivities were stressful. I would recommend Maija to any of my friends.

2017-10-30T16:35:04 Response from the vendor

You are such a sweetheart Amanda - you made it easy to be caring. Not to mention how fun it was to be silly with your girls - they all rocked! :) Thank you for your kind words. My favorite part of your day was... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/27/2017 Kiersten T

Maija did such an amazing job with our engagement and wedding photos! She is so easy going and was a gem to work with. Getting our engagement photos done was a little bit awkward at first because you are basically making out in front of a stranger but she made it so easy to be... Read More comfortable and just laugh it out 🙂 Her photos are breathtaking and she definitely has an eye for catching the light at perfect moments. We will forever cherish our photos and we will definitely be going back to her for any future family photo sessions. I HIGHLY recommend her!!!

2017-10-30T16:38:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kiersten! You two are wonderful and I can't wait for us to enjoy that bottle (or 2) of wine together. We will make it happen! You were a stunning bride whose sunshine personality made it easy to capture the perfect moments. Thank you... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/27/2017 Kiersten T

Reviewed on 10/25/2017

Maija did a fantastic job at our wedding. Couldn’t have had a better person/photographer. Ryan- wedding at silvara winery

2017-10-25T22:47:05 Response from the vendor

I loved loved loved being a part of your wedding celebration! Thank you Ryan :)

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Donavan m

My wife and I recently used Maija for our wedding day and were extremely happy with the whole process!! We didn't have a wedding planner and to be honest we were probably a little unorganized until we started working with her. She did such a wonderful job with keeping... Read More everything moving and keeping it light and fun for our whole bridal party. Did I mention that our party was 22 people!! Yes 22, and Maija took some fantastic pictures with all of us and used her creativity to shoot some really amazing shots of the whole party. The wedding itself had over 350 guests and she was able to capture a photo on the church steps of the whole congregation on the way out. It was a really unique shot that I haven't seen done at to many weddings. Another thing that we really loved about the pictures is that she did a great job of getting photos of almost all of the guests at the reception. A lot of our guests traveled from all over and are people we don't get to see all of the time, so this was really special to us. Overall we were extremely happy with the final product and had a great time working with her. Thanks for making our day so special Maija!!

2017-10-25T22:50:39 Response from the vendor

Aww, thank you so much Donavan and Courtney! You two were so wonderful to work with, not to mention your amazing group of people surrounding you. Yes, it's true, the number of people kept me on my toes ;) but it was nothing but a... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/19/2017 camille w

Maija was such a wonderful photographer! She made our day even more special! She was extremely professional, but we also felt like we had known her for a long time too! She gave me the sweetest little gift bag for the day of the wedding with all the necessary items that I might... Read More have needed. She stayed an hour extra (for a fee) as we were not quite finished with the cake cutting. Overall, she was amazing- highly recommended. (Ps. we got married in Sun Valley, Idaho in the beginning of September- it was overcast and a little rainy but the photos turned out so beautifully! )

2017-10-19T15:58:54 Response from the vendor

Alex and Camille, It was such a pleasure being a part of your celebration! And crazy enough, that wild early Fall weather made your photos even more beautiful and diverse. ;) Thank you again for inviting me along and trusting me to capture your memories!

Reviewed on 6/03/2017 Robert B

Maija was so great! She worked around our busy schedule and booked only a couple days before and on a holiday weekend! This was the first time my fiancé and I were getting pictures taken professionally and Maija made us feel super comfortable in front of a camera! She took a... Read More variety of shots with different lens and returned the photos in a very timely manner. She was pretty reasonable in pricing compared to others in the area, and for us as college student she worked with us. We love how she gave us our own webpage where we can see all the photos and download our favs. Definitely would recommend. Everyone that we have showed has loved the quality!

Reviewed on 11/23/2015 Katie G

Maija was an incredible photographer. I was satisfied with the numerous photos she captured, especially the candid photos! She had a great sense of humor and easy going attitude, which made it very easy to work with her. I have already recommended her to a few friends!

Reviewed on 8/27/2015 Cassie D

Maija and her secondary photographer did a phenomenal job with our wedding photos! We knew the day itself would be a blur, so the memories captured in photograph were SO important to us when we booked Maija. Aside from doing a fabulous job at providing us with a variety of... Read More photos that captured us and our wedding day, Maija and her colleague dissolved into the background when events were happening and were enormous fun when we were taking individual and family photos. She even got a couple highlights to us early because we took "thank you" shots at the reception. Highly recommended, and well worth the money! My only disappointment is that we don't live in the area to hire her in the future! ;)

Reviewed on 5/10/2015 Tandy E

We used Maija Karin Photographer for our wedding at Mountain Springs Lodge in Febary 2015. We really enjoyed working with Maija. She did a great job of quickly making us feel comfortable and coaching us to ensure we got great pictures. Our wedding photos turned out so... Read More beautiful! We love them and have received so many compliments from our family and friends. When planning our wedding, Maija was a little more expensive than other photographers we looked into. But we loved her photos and I knew photography was where I was willing to splurge. In addition, we very much envisioned a winter wedding. However, when we arrived at Mountain Springs Lodge, there was no snow in sight. I was so thankful I spent a little more and choose Maija. It gave me the peace of mind that even without snow, we had a very experienced photographer who could still take beautiful photos even if early spring isn’t the prettiest time of year. We were very happy to have Maija as our photographer. I highly recommend her and would very much like to find an excuse to have her take photos of us again.

AMAZING!

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Maureen L

Maija was not only wonderful in the planning of my wedding but also on the day of she kept us laughing and at ease which you can see in our photos. The quality of the photos and the variety of shots is incredible! Everyone who has seen our wedding photos says they look like they... Read More are from a magazine! Thank you Maija!!!

Maija Karin Effinger

I'm a small town girl with big time passions. I wear my heart on my sleeve and there is a good chance you'll find me with tears in my eyes behind the camera during the father/daughter dance. Since having two boys I have been deeply humbled by the overwhelming joy and love they give me as well as the feeling of vulnerability because half the time (okay most of the time) I have no clue what I'm doing, but I know if I just show them love it will turn out okay. I married my high school sweetheart and it was "my heart is yours" at first sight. I look forward to hearing your love story!