Main Ingredient Catering, Café and Bakery

Annapolis, MD

For nearly two decades, Annapolis’ Main Ingredient has garnered a reputation for creating mouth-watering fare, artfully presented. Whether you are hosting an intimate gathering or a corporate affair, we bring our passion for culinary excellence to the table and match it to your vision of the perfect party.

American, French, Italian, Latin American, Fusion, Seafood

Dietary Options

Servers, Food + Catering, Service Staff

914 Bay Ridge Road, Annapolis, MD

Cake and Cupcakes!

Reviewed on 6/24/2013 Alicia N

My fiance was insistent that he wanted cupcakes for our wedding. It was a great choice! We had a smaller cake for us to cut into and then two different flavored cupcakes for all of the guests. The cupcakes were outstanding. We went with lemon, raspberry preserves and sweet... Read More butter cream for half and chocolate rum with raspberry preserves and sweet butter cream for the other half. Our guests loved them! Jessica was a pleasure to work with and I look forward to working with them again in the future.

So good- wedding cupcakes

Reviewed on 6/03/2013 Sarah B

We tried several cake vendors and main ingredient far surpassed the others. The cake and icing weren't too sweet. We were able to get cupcakes and a mini cake for cutting. They came right on schedule and were beautiful. The cupcakes are still good (we froze some)!!

Wonderful Experience with Main Ingredient

Reviewed on 10/23/2012 Adrienne P

We are beyond happy with the food, service and attention to detail that Main Ingredient provided for our wedding. We worked with Kailey, and she was great. She was always there to answer any questions no matter how big or small, and made any requested changes quickly and... Read More smoothly. I really had no idea about anything wedding related, and she helped guide us through the process. The food was amazing, and we heard countless compliments from our guests. My husband is a chef, and he and Kailey came up with a delicious menu that was in season for the fall, appealed to everyone, but yet wasn't the standard boring wedding food. They also did our cake, which was not only beautiful but absolutely delicious! I don't have any complaints. They were somewhat on the pricey side, but honestly I felt it was worth every dime.

Great value and taste!

Reviewed on 8/25/2015 Alexandra M

I would definitely recommend this vendor for their value and the look and taste of their cakes. The only negative experience I had was it was a bit difficult to get in contact with the vendor if I had any questions or updates.

Reviewed on 8/06/2015 Leann W

Already big fans of Main Ingredient's food, we sourced them to supply our custom cupcakes & wedding cake. Their accommodations exceeded expectations from day one as their taste testing was exceptional and we were able to customize our cupcakes exactly how we wanted them. We... Read More received SO many compliments on their cupcakes and their wedding cake was delicious. We would work with them again in a heartbeat. Leann & Jonathan

Still brought up

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Brian A

Fantastic! Food was amazing, everyone continues to rave about them, especially the MD Chicken Shooters and Carrot Cupcakes! Highly recommend.

Great Caterer

Reviewed on 10/21/2013 Mary-Helen W

I had a few issues with Main Ingredient such as the person I was working with changed 3 times during my planning period. It wasn't very easy to make needed changes to the menu, etc. I felt some pressure to add extra things to our proposal although I made them aware of the... Read More budget. Aside from that, the food is excellent and the desserts were also good. They are 2 blocks from Quiet WAters Park where the wedding & reception was held which made it very convenient. They are also one of the only caterers that actually cooked the food on-site instead of cooking it first then transporting it to the reception which was a big plus for me! Quality of service was definitely worth the reasonable pricing.

Great wedding cake

Reviewed on 12/16/2012 Martina D

We got our wedding cake at main ingredient...a small two tiered cake and a sheet cake and a half for the bulk of the guests. It was a good way to keep the cake affordable. The fillings were great...and the red velvet cake was wonderful. The pound cake was denser than we... Read More remembered it from the tasting, but it was still good. Definitely look into this vendor if you want an affordable cake.

Catering and cake

Reviewed on 9/10/2012 Marie S

Main Ingredient was exceptional. Their food and service was outstanding and I would use them again in a heartbeat. They went above and beyond setting things up and making sure my husband and I were able to try everything.

We had the best caterers!

Reviewed on 8/22/2012 Chelsea D

The Main Ingredient was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. Everything was absolutely wonderful. Rachel was so incredibly helpful & great to work with. She responded quickly to all my questions & helped me with all the details. The day of our wedding was... Read More insanely hot (around 104 degrees) and Nannette was amazing, and she took great care of us. The staff was professional, friendly and super helpful. They provided a water station for our guests during the ceremony which was a life saver. The staff made sure our guests had water all throughout the ceremony & reception- which was so great! The food was delicious, the cupcakes were so cute & the tables looked exactly as we had envisioned. :) We truly have no complaints! Our day was better than we could have ever imagined. We are so happy with our decision to go with The Main Ingredient. We knew we would be taken care of and everything was great! We can not thank you enough!! :)

Reviewed on 6/19/2012 Jessica B

Very reputable cafe, food was delicious. The restaurant is not very large but they were able to accomodate 25 of us comfortabley, but we did have to be spread out a little bit isolating us into a few seperate groups. My father in law visited multiple different restaurants and... Read More loved the service and willingness to help from that he got from the managers at main ingredient. They didn't require a minimum cost or minimum head count as most other places did.

The Best Decision You'll Ever Make (after your spo

Reviewed on 6/14/2012 Jackie M

From the very beginning, The Main Ingredient was an incredible partner in planning our wedding. Debra (our contact) was very easy to work with, very responsive to any special requests on our part, and couldn't have been nicer throughout the whole process. What distinguishes... Read More The Main Ingredient from other caterers is the professional and comprehensive quality of their service. The serving staff are extremely good at the jobs and are on top of everyone's needs immediately. They were excellent about seeing to every dietary and allergy concern we had among all our wedding guests, in these cases more than happy to make up special entrees for those guests who required them. They saw that our other on-site vendors were well-fed as well, and in a manner that did not disrupt the flow of the evening. We received several highly-competent and professional bartenders from them as well. One, Eric, had a nearly photographic memory, it seemed, and would remember every guest's preferred drink, often having them made as those guests got to the front of the bar line. Free champagne was provided for the bride and bridesmaids as they spent the day getting ready for the event that afternoon, and they happily included free lemonade and iced tea for all of our guests throughout the event (on a particularly hot June day, this was amazing). Our day-of coordinator, Nanette, was fantastic as well. She ensured that while the photos were being taken, the serving staff regularly came by with trays of all of our hors d'oeuvres choices, as well as seeing that we always had one of our signature cocktails in hand. All of this service of course, wouldn't mean much if the food wasn't good. Happily, anyone who knows Annapolis should already be aware of The Main Ingredient's stellar reputation as one of the finest cafes in town. Their bakery is also quite legendary and we were bowled over by both the taste and presentation of our wedding cake, which was beautifully designed. It should also be noted that as we were catering clients, the wedding cake was offered at half price with free delivery. We could continue to exhaust superlatives about The Main Ingredient, but we'll leave you with this: if you're planning a wedding anywhere near Annapolis, MD, The Main Ingredient is without a doubt the smartest choice you could make for a vendor.

Mmm Mmm Delicious

Reviewed on 5/09/2012 Vanessa G

Not only did my husband and I enjoy our Wedding Food, but our guests could not stop raving about it. Everyone said the food was delicious and to validate their point, there were no leftovers at the buffet!

Great Place!

Reviewed on 1/16/2012 Danielle H

Got our desserts here and they were amazing! Great to work with and so nice and helpful. The desserts were amazing and we would go back in a heartbeat.

One of the Best

Reviewed on 11/22/2011 Whitney A

For my wedding day, you never know how it is really going to go... But all I have to say is that the Main Ingredient did a PHENOMENAL job!!! The food was amazing and Rachel, who was also my wedding coordinator, was absolutely amazing!!! She was very prompt and kept me on time... Read More during the busy day! Rachel was so helpful the couple of weeks before with making sure they had all of our decorations and making sure I was calm!! The food couldn't have been better!! Will definitely use them again!!!!

Food was pricey, but great!

Reviewed on 6/15/2011 Erica W

We used the Main Ingredient for our rehearsal dinner. They were very easy to work with when we chose the food and their service was impeccable. It was buffet style, but they limited people to one of certain items, which caught us off guard.

Good local caterer, very helpful

Reviewed on 6/13/2011 Kimberly B

I chose the Main Ingredient because they hold the title of best caterer in town, they have great crabcakes, and they would setup and take down tables and chairs for us. Through the planning, they were usually quick to respond to my requests and helpful with coordination of... Read More events, which was important since I did not have a professional wedding planner. Being the best in town and fairly expensive, by my book at least, I had high expectations of them. They greeted our guests quickly and were friendly throughout our reception, and did a great job helping us package up decorations at the end of the night. Unexpected items: the bartender was inexperienced and fumbled over drinks causing a constant line at the bar, because of the quantity of food served (100 guests) the main course was somewhat dried out and much less impressive than when we tried it at the restaurant (maybe I should have expected this), the side dish was not something we had been able to taste in advance and it wasn't very good so it wasn't eaten by many of our guests or us. They served the cake during the first dances and did not loop back around, so the bride did not get a piece of her own wedding cake. We did order the cake through them as well, and it was wonderful when I got to try the leftovers the next day. Overall, the Main Ingredient was a huge help to me because they coordinated with me for planning the timeline of the reception and setup the tables and chairs in our empty banquet hall. I did not find many other caterers in town who would help me with this, and I wasn't able to do it all myself.

Yum, Yum, Yum!

Reviewed on 5/15/2011 h g

Jenny from Main Ingredient was amazing! She was very patient with us through bouts of indecision and had great ideas that we would never have thought of ourselves. The food was great and the desserts were a huge hit. We particularly loved the Thai Chicken Salad, and Marzipan... Read More Strawberry hourderves. They also were able to recreate a favorite dish of mine that I had years before. Also, when we had a crisis with the flowers for our centerpieces, Jenny was there to save the day with the perfect solution.

The Most Delicious & Elegant Cake

Reviewed on 3/31/2011 Kristin L

Both my husband and I do not like cake, so when we tried the amazing butter pound cake with buttercream frosting and absolutely loved it, we knew we found our cake baker. Main Ingredient not only had incredibly delicious cake, but really beautiful designs. We met with Main... Read More Ingredient staff a few times, and they even had us meet with our baker who sketched out a design of our cake, which helped us refine our vision. We wanted a very simple, elegant cake and that is what they delivered. Our cake turned out exactly as we envisioned and planned with Main Ingredient. It was amazing, and our guests also said that it was the best cake they have ever tasted. In addition, some of our guests thought it was fondant until they tried it because it was so well frosted. We cannot wait to try it again for our 1 year anniversary! We were highly impressed with Main Ingredient's customer service and their cake design and taste. It was a perfect cake for our wedding day!

Reviewed on 11/10/2010 Alicia D

We used MI for our rehearsal dinner. They did a great job from the planning process, even allowed us to use another company for rentals (chairs, dishes, flatware, etc.). They were extremely accomodating, and their food is delicious.

Parent of the Bride

Reviewed on 8/09/2010 Nadine S

Used them for our post wedding brunch. Excellent food and service.

Review for Main Ingredient Café

Reviewed on 8/29/2007 Norah F

The Main Ingredient gave us the attention we needed to design the cake and pick the combination of flavors. We also had them design a groom's cake to look like an aircraft carrier with a specific Navy plane on top and it was amazing!