Marine Room

La Jolla, CA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Marine Room in La Jolla, California, offers guests a coastal dining experience that features seafood and seasonal dishes crafted by seasoned culinary professionals. With its ample and elegant space, the venue is more than capable of hosting wedding receptions in one of its rooms.

The Terrace is an almost-private event room that accommodates up to 46 guests. A flight of three stairs elevates the room from the main dining room, giving guests views of La Jolla Cove and the Pacific Ocean.

The Northend includes the main dining room and the terrace, accommodating up to 108 guests. Guests get views of the Pacific Ocean and Torrey Pines Cliffs.

The Seahorse Room gives up to 56 guests a private wedding reception experience. The room includes booth seating, a view of the Pacific and a sliding door for extra privacy.

The Spindrift Room holds up to 70 guests, and a curtain separates it from the bar and lounge areas where other patrons of the restaurant dine and drink.

The Southend is a combination of the Seahorse and Spindrift rooms. Guests can also include the bar and lounge areas in this package to accommodate up to 120 guests.

Guests can purchase a complete buy-out of the entire facility to ensure their wedding can accommodate up to 230 guests in a completely intimate and exclusive setting.

The Marine Room is headed by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver, who craft menus to fit the needs of each wedding party. The chefs at The Marine Room tend to pair local ingredients from Southern California with their innovative techniques. Some of the most popular dishes at The Marine Room include sesame-crusted ahi tuna, Cervena elk loin, Angus beef filet mignon and Skuna Bay salmon.

The Marine Room in La Jolla offers a number of catering menus for any wedding event, including breakfast, lunch and dinner banquet menus. Guests can add enhancements to the banquet menus including carving stations with dishes such as prime rib and turkey breast. Other enhancements include oysters on the half shell, ceviche and artisanal cheese boards.

While The Marine Room isn't attached to a hotel, couples can stay at the nearby La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. Guests have access to a private beach, 12 tennis courts, a golf course, massages and plenty of marine activities.

One of the most unique features of The Marine Room is its position on the La Jolla Bay, which gives guests spectacular views of the seaside.

• A panoramic view of the Pacific Coastline and La Jolla Bay
  • Pounding ocean waves crashing on the large bay windows
  • Ocean life displays during exceptionally high tides

Guests also get the privilege of sampling food and beverage from a restaurant that has many accolades and awards under its belt, including

• AAA Four Diamond Award in 2013 and 2014
  • Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence in 2014
  • CityBeat's Most Romantic Restaurant Award in 2014
  • OpenTable's Top 100 Best Scenic View Restaurants in America in 2014

Elegant Dining on the Surf

An iconic San Diego restaurant, The Marine Room offers a tradition of fine dining excellence and award-winning cuisine. With its “on the surf ” location, endless ocean views and standards of elegance, you simply cannot find a more romantic setting.

Waterfront, Beach, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning

2000 Spindrift Drive, La Jolla, CA (866) 782-8148

The Marine Room is a beautiful venue with excellent value

Reviewed on 9/04/2013

I had my wedding and reception at the Marine Room in August 2013 and am extremely happy with this venue. I had only a six-month engagement and planned the wedding from a distance (fortunately with the help of my parents, who were local), and the staff at the Marine Room made... Read More everything fantastic. The good: - The Marine Room is right on the La Jolla Shores beach, so you get a fabulous view of the ocean. The beach was super busy in August, but the guests were pretty entertained watching the kayakers, scuba divers, and swimmers. - The food is simply excellent and a good value, especially compared to other wedding venues. My mom and I were wowed by the tasting menu, but I was even more impressed that the entrees served on the wedding day were just as delicious. The lamb and salmon were cooked perfectly, and we've gotten tons of guest compliments about the meals. The Cobblestone Pie was amazing too. - The servers were professional and courteous, providing top-notch service. - The coordinator we ended up working with, Brigette, was fantastic. She was friendly, warm, and quick to answer questions. She was also not pushy and made us feel comfortable about not choosing the most expensive drink options, for example. - There is a valet parking service that is, in my opinion, reasonably priced. Cheaper than valet parking fees quoted to us for a downtown venue at any rate. - The planning process was easy here. They already have tables and chairs that you don't have to pay extra for. There is also a (small) dance floor option. The less good: - If you want the venue to yourself, you'll have to have a lunchtime reception because the Marine Room is run as a regular restaurant for dinner. I believe we were told that a wedding was possible in the evening, but that we'd have to share the space with other diners. We had to clear out by about 4pm. - We met a number of coordinators throughout the planning process, and one of them was not very easy to work with. She was terse in her emails and didn't seem to take notes when discussing plans with my parents. For example, when my parents had follow-up meetings, the coordinator didn't seem to remember what they'd talked about previously, and she didn't pass on information to the coordinators we worked with later. Quick summary: I loved the venue, our guests loved the venue, and we got a beautiful reception with fantastic food for a reasonable cost. I highly recommend the Marine Room!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Eilleen D

We had our wedding here in September. Chelsea was fantastic, professional and detail oriented. We planned the event remotely and she could not have been more patient with us, trying to finalize the details through emails and multiple phone calls. The venue was beautiful, the... Read More food and service was great.

Reviewed on 11/27/2015 Kaitlyn P

We had our wedding here in August, and the venue is beautiful - Your right on the water, but that's about all this place has to offer. We bought out the entire restaurant, with open bar for all our guests, and it just felt for the money we spent, we could have been treated... Read More better. The food presentation was great, the service staff was very attentive and nice, and the event coordinator, Chelsea, she's great, very accommodating and tried her hardest to make my wedding special. It was the management team and bartenders that were dreadful. Yes, my guests were drinking, its a wedding, but they were treating us like we were idiots and they were the bouncers at a night club. They ran out of several different kinds of alcohol, they even had to go to bevmo in the middle to get more after my husband explained to them that it was unacceptable to be out of pretty much everything. And at the end of the night, when my dad asked for a drink, (the man who hosted and paid for the whole thing) they told him no, and that last call was 10 minutes ago. That to me is repulsive. They also tried to turn on the lights right at midnight and kick everyone out, I was so embarrassed. I had to go get the GM and beg for him to let everyone just have the chance to say goodbye, and not be shoved out. His response to me, THE BRIDE, was ... "i think everyone here has had enough to drink. Its time to go" SO RUDE!!!!! Several of my guests were also coming up to me asking why the bartenders were being so awful. I had worked in the bar industry all through college, as had most of my friends that were there, and they were even put off by it. (Not to mention, everyone was tipping them large amounts of cash) To buy out an entire beachfront restaurant in La Jolla isn't cheap, as I'm sure you are all finding out, so to me, they just wanted their money and couldn't care less about anything else. Look somewhere else, trust me when I tell you, on your special day, the last thing you want is to be talked down to by the GM, and have your own father not be able to order a drink.

Not for Weddings

Reviewed on 1/21/2015 Katey S

We received bad service during our wedding reception. Real seashells were served to our guests with their cake! How careless the kitchen staff was!! The seashells were at the base of the cake. The wine bottles that we ordered were not on the tables. The appetizer was served,... Read More but no one had anything to drink. No plates at the cake table for the cutting of the cake. The kitchen staff removed our custom wedding cake topper and then claimed " it was lost." The catering department staff treated is with hostility on our attempts to retrieve it. We never did receive it. I suspect that they kept it for use at their other events. We gave them a large sum of money and were treated horribly!! Not professional. Not for a wedding! Disgusted will never return! Our photographer said that it is more like a place to go for prom, but not a wedding.

Gorgeous View

Reviewed on 9/22/2014 Melinda B

We had a small family dinner here 2 nights before the wedding. They made us feel very special, and the food was wonderful.

Unbelievable environment and food for our wedding!!!

Reviewed on 10/23/2013 Kerri D

We recently got married at The Marine Room and it was the best experience for both us and all of our guests, who were mostly from the east coast! The majority of our guests had never been to California before so there is no better place to wow them with than The Marine Room.... Read More Everything was fantastic from the view to the food and ambiance! No other place in San Diego can beat the view of The Marine Room. It is floor to ceiling windows and the water comes right up to them at high tide, which we happened to have the night of our wedding! In addition, the food is amazing because you are eating at one of the best and top-rated restaurants in San Diego!!! We even had late night snacks of sliders and churros which were delicious! All my guests could not stop talking about the environment and the food which are two of the main things you hope guests will remember and be happy about! I highly recommend The Marine Room for your wedding reception!!!!

Most Beautiful Wedding Reception!

Reviewed on 9/11/2013 Elizabeth K

I had my wedding reception here at the Marine Room, and I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful reception! The staff was wonderful, the room and the view were both SO Beautiful. It completely lived up to any expectations I had!

Gorgeous Beach Wedding, Rain or Shine

Reviewed on 3/21/2013 Heather K

From the location and scenery to the food and drink the Marine Room was the host for a perfect day. Our guests raved for days about everything from the delicate fish and "most amazing chicken" to the unique, delicious dessert and superb service. We all had the most amazing... Read More time and will return often. A huge thank you to Lauren Van Zile, Catering Manager, for her consistent smile, encouragement, assistance, and recommendations. She added so much to making our day just perfect.