No slick tag line, just fun, artistic photos!

Hi! My name's Matt, I've been photographing weddings for 10 years, and was lucky to be awarded Best of the Knot for 2015 and 2016! I love meeting new people, forging new relationships, and of course taking pictures. I've met a lot of great people along the way, and I'd love to meet you! I have a casual and fun-loving approach to photographing weddings... it's important to get the shot, but it's equally important that you are able to relax and enjoy such an amazing day in your lives! If you like what you see give me a call, I'd love to tell the story of your wedding for you!

Artistic, Documentary, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Bridal Portraits, Day After Session, Engagement

Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available

San Francisco / Bay Area (209) 625-6349

Simply the best!

Reviewed on 1/06/2014 Anna M

We met Matthew and Dannie through our tattoo artist. He told us that his friends were doing an Instagram engagement photo shoot giveaway and that we should enter. Long story short, we won the contest and met with Dannie and Matt in San Luis Obispo in the fall of 2013. I had no... Read More idea what to expect as I hadn't ever been professionally photographed before, but Matt and Dannie made it such a great experience. They were incredibly funny and sweet; they made us laugh, which not only relaxed us, but also helped them get some great genuine shots of us. They talked us through what were good poses, but they also let us be ourselves (which I think really shows in our pictures). Fast forward to just a few weeks ago, my husband (fiance at the time) coordinated with Matt to shoot our wedding. I know it was last minute, but Matt made it and once again, he made the whole experience just so relaxing and enjoyable. He was down to go wherever we wanted and totally fit in with our crazy families. Oh, and let's not forget the best(and most important part)...the pictures! Matt and Dannie take the most amazing photos! They are not cheesy or cliche at all. The pictures they take are gorgeous and really show our love for each other. Our engagement photos came on a beautiful disc and in a specially designed cd case. For our engagement shoot and our wedding day, I felt so comfortable knowing that our pictures were being taken by another happy, in love couple. I trusted Dannie and Matt to take great pictures because I know that really care about their clients. I cannot say enough good things about Matthew James Photographers. If you want a relaxing, enjoyable photo shoot with awesome people and to have the most amazing pictures, you definitely need to have Matt and Dannie of Matthew James Photographers for your special events!

Reviewed on 9/16/2015

Could not have had better photographers! My husband and I are both familiar with photography and wanted the best for our special day. These two delivered and made it all so easy! Matt and Dannie knew exactly how to handle long speeches, rambunctious family members and produce... Read More great results! We loved the entire album they provided for us and can't even come close to picking a favorite shot. The two of them work so well together that by the end of the night you don't even realize they are there, because you know that they have it all under control. We got exactly the feel we were going for, epic, romantic, funky and fun! Can't thank these two enough for being part of our wedding!

Hire Matt & Dannie!

Reviewed on 3/05/2015 Aubrey F

Matt and Dannie photographed both our engagement session and our wedding. They were amazing right from the beginning. As soon as we met them we knew they were down to earth, and that we could be natural and comfortable in their presence. They were always flexible and easy to get... Read More a hold of, and really listened to what we wanted. The photographs are stunning (confirmed by friends, family, coworkers, and strangers!). They really captured the natural beauty of the venue where we got married, and the personality of all those involved in the wedding. Best of all, I didn't even really notice they were there and yet they captured all the best moments. Finally, Dannie came to the rescue and fixed my wedding dress when the bustle broke. Life saver!

Reviewed on 6/12/2017 Ali B

Matt was amazing from start to finish. He is incredibly responsive, and genuinely cares. We did our engagement photos with him and our wedding. We took our engagement photos in Big Sur and we didn't know there was a huge fire going on. Long story short there was no cell service... Read More and trying to find each other to start the photos was quite a challenge. I started to get nervous to have to reschedule etc. but we did end up finding each other, and Matt immediately made my Husband and I feel comfortable. He knows exactly what shots to get and was super quick at our wedding for family photos which can be a drag, but he handled it! I highly recommend Matt and team!! I can't wait to use him again in the future! Thank you Matt- from Blake and I!

Reviewed on 7/23/2016 Sarah N

Matt did an amazing job with our engagement and wedding pictures. He was so great to work with and made us feel at ease. He got our edited wedding pictures back to us within a month of our wedding and they were stunning! He's also a really cool guy.

Matt & Dannie are a Dream Team!

Reviewed on 10/09/2015 Lauren H

Matt and Dannie are an incredible team! We worked with them for both our engagement pictures and our wedding. We are so incredibly happy with all of the pictures we have received from both events! Matt and Dannie did an amazing job of capturing the natural moments between my... Read More husband and I and our friends and family. When we started thinking about the feel of our photos, my husband and I agreed, we really wanted them to have a natural, not too posed or over-exposed feel. When we found Matt & Dannie, we knew we had struck gold! We are so incredibly happy with our decision to work with Matt and Dannie. Our pictures are stunning and I cannot wait to share them!

Reviewed on 10/07/2015 Madeline L

I cannot begin to gush enough about the STELLAR experience we had with Matt + Dannie of Matthew James Photography!! We truly LOVE our wedding photos. Sitting down scrolling through all the incredible work they did brought us right back to our special day. The images we have... Read More will be with us forever and they are even better than we expected. The shots are unique, artfully done, clean, and truly capture the spirit of the day! Family and friends could not stop complimenting us on the "super cool couple taking pictures!" The usual process of taking pictures for a huge wedding party and family went from what we thought would be tedious and long to super realaxed and relatively fast!!! We were all amazed about how effortless the whole process was! They simply are the best, thank you Matt + Dannie!

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Nathalie H

Dannie and Matt were so amazing with us. Obviously the day of is stressful and having a big family and chaos can add to the stress. They made sure to get beautiful shots of us and our party no matter what. They were very patient with us and were a joy to be around. Thank you so... Read More much for our beautiful pictures. We love them!!! -Nathalie and Brian

Reviewed on 9/17/2015

Matt and Dannie were absolutely amazing to work with! We hired them for our wedding and decided to also do an engagement session which was a great trial run. They were so easy and comfortable to work with and let us be ourselves with just enough guidance to get really great... Read More photos. We were able to use some photos from our engagement session for our save the dates and wedding website. We were so happy with and loved all the moments they captured from our wedding. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a more naturally beautiful photo session and even have a couple of friends who loved them so much they hired them for their own weddings next year!

Reviewed on 9/17/2015

I love MJP! I have been hearing wonderful things about these two for years. I live all the way in Tennessee, and knew that I had to have them for my wedding this past March. We flew them to Nashville to shoot our wedding because we knew the quality and style that we wanted and... Read More were not willing to compromise for anyone local. Our photos (engagement AND wedding- yes, we brought them here twice!) were AMAZING. We didn't feel unnatural in any of them, which I see a lot with other couples. Their style is so unique and flawless, and was exactly what we wanted. Their prices are so reasonable for what they provide, and they are two of the coolest people we have ever met- they definitely helped liven up the reception! We will only use MJP for any of our photography needs. They are the best of the best!

Reviewed on 9/15/2015 nicole s

Dannie and Matt are absolutely amazing. We have now used them for a save the date session, engagement session, wedding, and a family session and I love every single picture that they have taken. When we were looking for photographers on the biggest (most stressful) day of our... Read More lives I wanted someone who was not only talented, but who I liked and wanted to be around. That was Matt and Dannie perfectly. They even stuck around late to get an amazing shot of us jumping into the pool! We got a ton of great pictures and made some new friends that day. They are the only photographers I will be using from now on and I recommend that you do the same.

Reviewed on 9/15/2015 Hollie J

Matt and Dannie of Matthew James Photographers have been and will continue to be our go-to for pictures forever- as long as they continue to own cameras. From our engagement photos, wedding, and annual family pictures, I don't trust anyone else. The attention to detail is... Read More amazing. The thoughtful and cute packaging our pictures come in is awesome. And the amount of fun we have during each session also needs to be mentioned. My husband and youngest daughter are camera shy and you would never know by looking at our photos. If you choose anyone else to capture the moment, you're missing out!!

Reviewed on 9/14/2015

Matt & Dannie are true artist. They went above and beyond. They make you feel so comfortable & relaxed...it's really fun to work with them! I literally cried when I saw my wedding photos. They will give you photos that you will cherish for a lifetime. I will recommend them... Read More every chance I get.

Unique and Talented

Reviewed on 7/01/2015 Tish L

We used Matthew James for our engagement photos as well as our wedding photos. We had so much and the communication between us once on point. They have great recommendations for sites to take photos and do a great job scouting for locations on your wedding day. I felt like... Read More we were great friends by the end which I think came across in our photos. I LOVE that they edit with deeper hues and contrasts-our photos feel so set apart and unique compared to other wedding photos I've seen. They have a unique eye for framing and were able to capture so many sweet moments.

Reviewed on 6/02/2015 Candace V

We chose Matt and Dannie as our wedding photographers and we couldn't have picked a better duo to capture our special day! Leading up to the wedding, they were always available to answer my questions (I had many) and give advice which was such a big help during the planning... Read More process. These guys are pros- I was surprised how quickly they were able to get the perfect family, group and individual shots allowing us more time to spend with our friends and family! (Bonus points for them being able to corral our large bridal party and family.) The pictures turned out better than I could have ever imagined- they made us look great! I would recommend MJP over and over again- they are a dynamic duo and their energy and amazing sense of humor kept us all laughing. I can't wait to work with them again in the future!

Hire Matt and Dannie!

Reviewed on 3/13/2015 Kristen

Matt and Dannie are awesome and made us feel so comfortable during our engagement session and for the wedding. They are so flexible and full of creative ideas. We have gotten so many compliments about them and our pictures are gorgeous! It is more like friends taking your... Read More pictures. Every step of the process was handled in a timely matter. They didn't leave until they got everything! We can't wait to have another occasion to use them!

The Best in the Biz!

Reviewed on 3/08/2015

Dannie and Matt are phenomenally talented. They are fun, funny, and down to earth while maintaining excellent professionalism at all times. I absolutely LOVED them and our album. They are so thoughtful and produce exceptional photos for your special day. The only duo I would... Read More recommend for any special event photography.

Amazing!!!

Reviewed on 6/24/2014

These guys are simply the best. From meeting them, to singing the contract, to our engagement shoot and then the wedding, they made my husband and I feel comfortable and awesome. They were fun and professional and captured our true selves in photo. The way they get you to smile... Read More and do the right thing in the photos without making anything seem too posed or artificial, is awesome. These guys simply rock and the packaging that you get your photos in is the cherry on top of the awesome photo sundae!!! Looking forward to using these guys for a long time!

Professiona but personal! You'll love Dannie & Matt!

Reviewed on 4/12/2014 Teresa H

My husband and I wanted our wedding photographers to be people we could see ourselves hanging out with. You are around your photographers all day and they basically tell you what to do, you might want to actually like them as people. Dannie and Matt have the perfect combination... Read More of a professional attitude mixed with relatable likeability! They are truly amazing artists that see beauty in the ordinary. Our family and friends loved being around them all day and wanted them to stay all night and party with us. Most of our friends in our wedding party were already married and a few of them told us later that we got so lucky with our photographers! Our wedding was over a year ago and I am still getting wonderful compliments and rave reviews about our wedding photos. Dannie and Matt captured our day perfectly, and they made us look like gorgeous models! We couldn't have asked for more perfect. Book Matthew James Photographers and you will NOT be disappointed!

LOVE MJP

Reviewed on 3/19/2014 Blair B

Matthew James Photography was perfect! They listened to my ideas and had their own unique ideas as well. They are very easy going and made the day feel effortless when it came to taking photos. Matt is so easy to contact and always available for questions. I couldn't have... Read More pictured a better photographer for our special day!

Dannie and Matt were great!

Reviewed on 3/18/2014 Teagan E

My groom and I knew Dannie from High School, but we would have picked MJP even if we had no idea who they were before! They were very responsive leading up to and after our event, and had our pictures back to us in a very reasonable amount of time! We were very thrilled with our... Read More experience with them while taking pictures (you never really think about how important it is to actually LIKE the people taking your pictures-you spend quite a bit of time with them on the most special day of your life!) and with the finished product! We have already would recommend MJP to anyone!

Pictures of the most stressful day of our lives

Reviewed on 1/16/2014 Jennifer C

When my husband and I got married a few years ago, we had plenty of photographers approach us to take our pictures, but Matt and Dannie stood out above everyone else. The unique style and each artest own perspective you get 2 different sides to the story of your wedding. With... Read More our engagement photos, wedding day photos and photo booth (which was a huge hit), we had whole MJP package and couldn't be happier. The album which we collaborated with Matt and Dannie turned out to be truly amazing, in a beautiful leather bound casing, which will still pull out to this day (and get lots of complements about). They made the most stressful and joyous day of our life easy, beautiful and forever captured. After year and a half of planning, its over in a blink of an eye, and we are so blessed to have Matthew James Photographers bring the level of professionalism and expertise to bring it all together.

Wouldn't do it any differently!

Reviewed on 10/16/2013 Mickey D

Our wedding was an all day affair in San Francisco in June of 2012. It began with a small City Hall wedding in the morning, a private cable car ride and lunch in the afternoon, and ended with a baseball game with 100 of our closest friends and family at night. We had the luxury... Read More of having Matt & Dannie with us every step of the way! They perfectly captured every special moment of our special day. I can't imagine doing it any differently. Matt & Dannie blended in with our group like family and we are so lucky to have had them there. Looking back at our pictures made me realize just how much they blended in! There were shots that I didn't even know they got because I didn't see them! They work so well together! We had a blast! The packaging that we received afterwards with our wedding pictures was so sweetly decorated and well thought out. It was touching that so much effort and love was put into it. I have recommended MJP to several friends and I am confident that they would do a wonderful job for you too!

Photos Worth millions

Reviewed on 10/15/2013 Jenna C

I could not have imagined a more perfect team to hire for our wedding and engagement photographers. They truly go above and beyond to make sure your day is captured flawlessly. They don't just do what you pay them to do. They spend time making sure they can get that perfect... Read More shot, and theyre so good with direction and making you feel like a natural in front of the camera. the quality is worth so much more than what they ask for. Also, the photo booth is very much worth the splurge! Our guests loved it, and the quali of their booth and props is SO much better than your average photo booth. Plus, these guys know how to have fun! Thanks Matt and Dannie!!

It's like rain, on your wedding day

Reviewed on 10/15/2013

We got married September 21st and it rained, rained, rained on our wedding day. Dannie and Matt braved the wet weather and totally rearranged all of their shooting plans to come up with amazing, on the spot ideas. They fit in just like long time friends with our wedding party... Read More while staying completely professional the whole time. They captured every personal, private emotion without even being seen. I couldn't be happier with the pictures and I cried upon seeing the results. They truly recorded who we are on our most special day.

Matthew James

I've been an artist all my life, and a professional photographer for 10 years. My wedding photography business opened in March 2010, and my beautiful daughter was born shortly after! I love taking photos, making things, and going on adventures!