The Venue You've Been Dreaming Of

Since 1979, Michael's has been a leader in farm-to-table California cuisine. With over 3,500 square feet of gorgeous space, Michael's is the perfect indoor/outdoor venue for the foodie couple. Let our Executive Chef Miles Thompson wow your guests with his innovative and out-of-this-world menus. You'll get it all at Michael's: An award-winning wine list, amazing craft cocktails, a delicious meal, and a large, beautiful, and conveniently-located venue, perfect for any and every size affair.

• Outdoor - Covered

Backyard, Garden, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

1147 Third St., Santa Monica, CA (310) 451-0843

Reviewed on 11/14/2016 Sarena G

Michael’s hosted our wedding one month ago tomorrow, and it was the most magical evening! I spent most of the night kicking myself for being the bride and not getting to experience the most perfect party I’ve ever been to as a guest, which obviously would have been amazing.... Read More (Still okay as the bride though, I guess ;).) What makes Michael’s so great is that you can have a party there that feels totally intimate, refined, and lavish all at once, and I think at weddings, that is just such an impossible tone to strike. It was really important to me that my guests feel totally spoiled -- so many of them were making long trips across the country to get there -- and Michael’s totally, absolutely delivered on that. I have received an outpouring of unsolicited gratitude from almost every guest, commenting in particular on the ethereal space, the delicious and abundant food, and amazing drinks (especially our custom Bessito – named after our sweet pup, Bessa – crafted for us special based on 2 or 3 images I pinned on pinterest). Laura, the coordinator there, is an absolute wonder. She held my hand through the whole planning process and brought all of my half-baked ideas to life to every last detaikl, including seeing to it that we had custom-made signage that matched our signing poster (which I had ordered at the last minute off of etsy) and for our table numbers that matched our programs and placecards. We had just under 100 guests, but honestly I think the space is perfect for even a bit more than that. We had the most amazing, intimate candlelit dinner in the garden and terrace space with these amazing long tables and fruit/floral liners, which just perfectly complemented the lush walls around the garden. (Since we had our ceremony in the garden as well, the staff was totally wonderful about flipping the space fully and seamlessly during cocktail hour.) The compliments I am continuing to get (got some today in fact) have really ranged the gamete from “wow those sliders were so amazing that we thought they were the dinner and filled up on them” and “how did you pick out the most beautiful spot in santa monica when you live in dc?” and “they were so generous with the wine, my glass was never empty” and “can I have the bessito recipe? would I be able to make it at home?” and “marcona almonds in the Brussels sprouts, are you kidding me??” and “can we go back yearly for the same exact party?” (which is particularly incredible since the guest who made this last statement lives across the country in florida!). Anyway, thank you so much Michael’s for making our wedding night so memorable for us and our guests – I highly recommend this venue with zero reservations!

2016-11-14T21:36:39 Response from the vendor

Sarena, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind words! It was such a fun night, and we are so honored that you chose Michael's as the setting for your memorable wedding. I hope that you'll come visit me next time you are in... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/20/2016

We were fortunate to have our rehearsal dinner at Michaels in summer 2016. We had it there because of the delicious food, affordability, and my bride's grandfather was married there many years ago. Everything went perfectly! We had about 80 guests and they shut down the whole... Read More restaurant for us. Weather was perfect, food was amazing, and the venue is beautiful. The staff was professional and stayed out of the way so we could enjoy the night. They even gave us a few bottles of wine and champagne at the end of the night to take home with us as a favor! The coordinator Laura is truly a professional. She knew everything about the place, got back to us with all our questions quickly, and was extremely helpful in the days leading up to the event. We are thrilled we had the rehearsal at Michael's and are planning on using it for bday parties and other small events in the future.

2016-08-24T17:41:10 Response from the vendor

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback, Eli. It was truly a pleasure to work with you and Stephanie. Please come see us again soon! -Laura

Reviewed on 5/10/2017 Elizabeth P

You know you've done well when your event planning friends and colleagues say, "This was seriously the best wedding I've ever been to!" When I asked what it was that made our wedding better then the rest, the answer was simple. THE FOOD. Don't get me wrong. This venue has it... Read More all. In reflection of our experience, I am so glad that we chose Michael's. Having our wedding at a restaurant removed the stress of renting furniture, utensils, staff, etc. The art collection and gorgeous garden left nothing to be desired when it came to the decor. Laura, Michael, and the entire staff made us feel at ease as they had every detail under control. It was truly a no-stress day that was beautiful, delectable, and unforgettable. Michael's was the perfect choice for our wedding. We had 75 guests seated family style in the restaurant's indoor/outdoor garden. We turned the inside of the restaurant into our dance floor, lounge area, and bar. The restaurant walls are already decorated with art by some of LA's most iconic contemporary artists, so we didn't need to change a thing. Michaels is a well-established high end restaurant, so the staff is beyond professional and each of our guests were treated like VIPs. Michael's Events Manager, Laura is thoughtful, organized, and on top of every detail. The owner Michael—a local celebrity—has had this Santa Monica landmark for over 30 years and he was there to welcome our guests and make them feel at home. Finally, back to the food... the chef Miles Thompson (now nominated for a James Beard Rising Star Award) although incredibly busy, actually sat down with us before the wedding to make sure that the menu was exactly what we wanted. It was not a catered meal, or a rubber chicken dinner. It was mouthwatering perfection and all of our guests were in food heaven. I will be forever grateful to Michael's for all that they did for us and I look forward to many anniversary dinners there in the future.

Reviewed on 5/08/2017 Allison A

We absolutely loved every minute planning our wedding at Michaels. Laura, the coordinator, is a dream to work with! She went above and beyond to help coordinate our perfect wedding. So many guests have since told us that our wedding was the best wedding they had ever been to,... Read More and we owe it all to Laura, Miles (the AMAZING chef), the wonderful staff, and the beautiful setting that Michael's offers. You will not be disappointed!!!

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 Brittany D

My girlfriends and I chose Michael's restaurant to have food and drinks for my Bachelorette Bash before heading out to dance and sing karaoke all night... and we are SO happy we did! This place was PERFECT - drinks were delicious and GENEROUS, food was perfectly priced and so... Read More scrumptious, ambiance was inviting and fun yet very professional, and the staff was very attentive. Laura, the events manager, was so easy and pleasant to work with from beginning to end. Michael, the owner, even greeted us afterwards to make sure we had a good time, and boy did we!! Thank you Michael's restaurant for such a delicious and memorable Bachelorette Party!

2016-08-24T17:39:51 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Brittany! I'm so glad you and your girlfriends had a great night! :) -Laura

Meet The Events Director

Laura Barner

Laura joined the team at Michael's in December 2015, bringing with her a strong background in Hospitality and Event Management. She's created, planned, organized, and executed all types of events from non-profit galas to music festivals to weddings. Laura is extremely passionate about creating the perfect wedding experience for her clients, and it shows in everything she does.