Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Latin, Pop, R&B, Rock

672 S. Van Ness Avenue , San Francisco, CA (415) 745-1928

Reviewed on 11/12/2016 Emily S

Found Miss Frances Dances on Yelp and decided to give it a go. For context, my now husband and I are musical and like to dance but have zero formal experience or skills…. so we just wanted to get some basics for our first dance. Frances was warm and responsive from the start,... Read More and set us up for 1 lesson with Eldon (it was super easy to schedule). Turns out, we had so much fun (my husband included) that we booked a second lesson! Elton was fun and kept things light while being very focused and professional. He definitely taught us some good moves, including some basic steps (variation on foxtrot), an intro, and some dips of course. We had a blast. We enjoyed being the only students and working with our song — that made it really practical and effective. We worked in the studio space in the Mission and it was big and open and easy to get to (near Bart). Of course on our wedding day we blanked a bit and didn’t remember all our moves, but we had a blast with the lessons and did WAY better than we would have done on our own. And we nailed the dip. Would recommend Eldon and Miss Frances Dances for wedding prep or just a fun date night!

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Mark S

My (now) wife and I loved going to Miss Frances Dances! We signed up for the five lesson wedding package and Frances was great about finding times to meet that fit in with our busy schedules. Neither one of us had any dance background but Frances did an amazing job teaching us... Read More some of the fundamentals, as well as various moves to string together to our wedding song. However, it went beyond just learning a scripted routine - Frances helped us to learn the basics of the moves so we were able to combine them all kinds of ways, learn how to properly transition between them, and to lead/follow effectively. Throughout it all Frances was super kind, helpful, and made it very fun and enjoyable to learn these skills! I highly recommend Miss Frances Dances for lessons - we came a long way in those 5 classes and received tons of compliments from our wedding guests on our moves! As a not-super-coordinated guy, I never expected learning to dance could be fun or that I could learn to dance well, but Frances was able to do that and for that I highly recommend her!

Reviewed on 9/20/2016 Vanessa B

We LOVED Miss Frances Dances! About a month before the big day we signed up for 5 lessons. I brought the song we wanted to dance to and Ava was our instructor. She was fantastic! We had never had any sort of formal dancing before, and I felt that after just 1 lesson I was... Read More already vastly improved. Ava was able to create a whole routine for us that matched our pace and the style of song. My husband was worried that learning a dance might feel too robotic the day of (too scripted is another way to say it), but it was nothing like that. He was able to learn a set of moves that he could mix and match in the moment. He loved being able to improvise during our dance, and I loved knowing how to follow his moves. At the wedding our guests were blown away! Honestly, everything we learned was simple to follow, but looks so complex. I think there were a few gasps during the lift as well! I was so happy to have a dance just for us, it feels so special. The lessons leading up were nice date nights, a way to get away from wedding planning for a moment. Dancing with your partner is such an experience, much different than the dancing at clubs. There's some so romantic about it, moving as a pair together in unison, I can see why our grandparents went dancing so often. I highly suggest Miss Frances Dances - for your wedding, to learn a specific dance, or even just a fun date night. I really don't see any way you could be disappointed with the results.

Reviewed on 7/28/2016 Emily C

Francis is amazing! We worked with her over 5 sessions before our wedding. We were complete novices with no rhythm, and yet learned a bunch of waltz steps and got a great choreography for our wedding. Francis was such a great teacher, and has a great method of teaching a few... Read More basic steps first, and then combining them together. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed on 7/26/2016 Amy C

Frances is an amazing choreographer and dance instructor. The dance she taught us was the highlight of our wedding! We highly recommend her. Can't say enough good things about her! Thank you Frances :)

Amazing dance instructor who focuses on highlighting who we are

Reviewed on 6/11/2015 Jenny

My husband and I wanted to choreograph our first dance and looked online for studios in the San Francisco Bay Area. We chose Miss Frances Dances, because Frances offered flexible hours and the two studios were located in unique neighborhoods with parking. Frances is very... Read More sweet and observant. She also has a lot of great ideas. Within the first couple of sessions, she was able to interpret our personalities and began to incorporate "us" into the dance to make it our story. In addition to developing an amazing choreography to our song "Everything," she also taught us dance moves that will enable us to continue dancing. We had so much fun working with her.

Amazing Experience

Reviewed on 6/10/2015 Adam I

These are the only dance lessions I have ever taken in my life and going in I wasn't really confortable with the idea or excited to start, but that all changed as soon as the lesson started. It was a really great experience and after a couple lessons we were able to make our... Read More 1st dance at our wedding very special. If you are considering at all taking dance lessons for your wedding I'd give Frances a try you won't regret it!

Frances is amazing!

Reviewed on 6/09/2015

So my wife and I aren't dancers. We're actually pretty awkward. In 6 lessons with Frances, we were able to pull off a nicely choreographed fox trot, tango, and Persian dance routine. I'd hihgly recommend her to anyone that is looking to quickly advance from beginner level. I... Read More think she's also pretty amazing as an advanced teacher as well, from what I could see.

Four left feet? Call Frances!

Reviewed on 10/26/2012 Katy H

Collectively, my husband and I have four left feet... well, not literally, but when it comes to dancing, we're no twinkle toes. For our First Dance, all we were hoping for was to NOT make fools of ourselves. Frances heard our concerns and started with us from the very basics.... Read More She was patient, understanding, reasonably priced, and gave us the confidence to get up in front of all of our family and friends for our first dance. If I had to go back and do this again, I would DEFINITELY go back to Frances. She was wonderful!