Instruments

After Party, Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

Live Music, MC Services, Sound Equipment, Music, Rentals + Equipment

BEST WEDDING BAND ON EARTH

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Elena G

If your wedding reception was in a parking lot or a field with no food or water or drinks but you had Mixtape there rockin, everyone would STILL be raving about how incredible of a time they had. Basically, if you have Mixtape at your wedding, your wedding reception is going to... Read More be the best time anyone has ever had. It's literally that simple! The ENERGY that they have - lead by Melanie's INSANE VOCALS is unmatched. Their REPERTOIRE was what initially drew us to them...we really wanted a band that would play songs that we like, but those that everyone else likes and knows also. They just completely nailed it. It was super fun for my husband and I to go through their list and pick out the songs we wanted them to play, but we left some room for them to use their best judgement. During dinner they played some of the indie songs that were more for us and our friends and during dancing, well, let's just say our dance floor was completely crowded all night long. I thought I would change my shoes into flats, but I actually was unable to leave the dance floor to do so, we danced the whole time! At one point my sisters decided we needed to do the Hora, something that we hadn't initially planned on doing - but Melanie had previously told me that she had a lot of fun playing the Hora and OMG it was the best thing ever!!!! It was a serious highlight of the night, and they were able to pull it off, off the cuff with about one minute's notice. We even did an encore at the end and that was another favorite part! At the end of the night our friends were thanking the band profusely and getting their card. Everyone could not stop talking about how good they were - and WE can't stop talking about how good they were! Prior to the wedding, Melanie was a dream to work with. She was so prompt and enthusiastic and helpful. They learned a few songs for us which was wonderful and they did an amazing job. They played our instrumental ceremony music perfectly. They all just looked awesome and were so tight! We chose the 6 piece band which was perfect, but I literally cannot even imagine what they would sound like when adding in some horns or strings - would be totally over the top! I am dying for a friend to get married and have Mixtape come so we can see them again! Best decision ever!! We love you guys!

Reviewed on 10/27/2015

We actually chose our wedding date based on Mixtape's availability—that's how great we knew they'd be! They played at our wedding in September and we're still getting compliments on how much everyone loved the band. They couldn't have been more wonderful to work with leading up... Read More to the date itself—they helped us pick out our playlist, and were super cheerful and easy about everything (which makes a huge difference when you're fielding multiple stressful emails per day—it was so nice to know that no matter what, the music would be great). On the day itself, they played everything from Vivaldi to Huey Lewis during the ceremony, and great Brazilian-style jazz during the cocktail hour. People were out on the dance floor even before dinner. Everyone had the best time—and trust me, our guest list ran the gamut from conservative to liberal, super-old to super-young, all our drunk college friends and everything in between. In summary: Mixtape struck the perfect balance of making everything fun, celebratory, and appropriate. I couldn't recommend them more strongly. (Also, they played at a dear friend's wedding a month later and were just as awesome.) BOOK THEM. You will be glad you did.

straight up rock

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Ben G

I have seen the future of wedding bands, and their name is MIXTAPE: A Cover Band for Hipsters. I'd say a solid 50% of the guests at my wedding came up to me at some point in the night and screamed to me "best wedding band EVER!" and they were not wrong. Melanie and her... Read More entire band were incredible. From the soft, acoustic "God Only Knows" that my wife and I loved for our first dance to a moshpit inducing version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," from a groovy "Dancin' in the Streets" to an earthshaking "Born to Run," all six of them (we had the smallest band combo because our venue is pretty tiny, but I hear they go up to 10 pieces!) were on fire all night long. Here's a few songs they played that I highly doubt you'll hear at many weddings: "Party Hard" by Andrew W.K. (learned especially for us!) "California Uber Alles" by Dead Kennedys "Ruby Soho" by Rancid For a punk rocker like me, having a band that I could dig was the most important thing about the reception for me, and MIXTAPE delivered in a way I really didn't think possible. I'll always remember slow dancing to "Such Great Heights" with my wife, and all of our friends gathering in a circle to belt out "Wagon Wheel." If you're a rocker, a dancer or just anyone who loves great music and you're getting married, hire MIXTAPE. There's really no other choice.

Reviewed on 11/18/2016 Jen C

Definitely a highlight of our wedding, MIXTAPE was so awesome and we LOVED them! For our wedding I did most of the planning, but my fiance was insistent on finding a great band and really didn't want a cheesy typical wedding band. After talking to Melanie and seeing the... Read More playlist, we were convinced this was the band for us and booked a week after setting our date! We got so many compliments from our guests, from our parents to our friends, MIXTAPE sounded so great and brought so much energy and love to our wedding. We also had guitar and violin for the ceremony, and the music was so beautiful and made the processional/recessional so special. The icing on the cake was that Melanie let my husband, who plays piano, join in the band for the last song (Don't Stop Believin') on the keyboard. This was REALLY nice of them (and not a normal thing) and one of the BEST moments of the wedding, as we were all singing and dancing and one of my bridesmaids even cried during the song saying it was such an amazing moment. So really we couldn't say enough good things about working with MIXTAPE and would give them 10 stars if we could!

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Jenn F

Stop reading and hire Mixtape right now. Mel and the gang will elevate your wedding to legendary status. We had two musts for our wedding, great food and music. Finding good food was easy but finding a good band, not so much. As soon as we watched Mixtape's promo videos we... Read More immediately said book them! Mel was a pleasure to work with and she gladly stuffed the gang into a van to play in Philadelphia for our wedding. They are professional, talented, personal, and just plain amazing. Our guests are still talking about how amazing the band was. Thanks Mel and the band!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Lindsay P

I could not recommend Mixtape more strongly. Without exaggeration, almost every single guest at our reception told me that they absolutely rocked. The set list Mixtape designed for us was perfect, they nailed our ceremony music (the only part of the night that made me cry),... Read More and they even indulged a couple of requests, including learning a first dance song we had picked months earlier, which wasn't part of their existing repertoire. On a personal level, they were also a total pleasure to work with at every step along the way. I can't say enough good things!

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Josef P

The band played our wedding of about 130 people at the Brooklyn Winery in Williamsburg and they were AMAZING. They were great to work with and are one of kind. The songs they played were exactly the kind of indie stuff that we loved - we go to concerts at Bowery Ballroom,... Read More Music Hall, Webster Hall etc all the time so finding that kind of music made our wedding extra personal. They were so good that we even had someone attempt to crowd surf towards the end ;)

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Tim S

If you want something unique and amazing, go with Mixtape. We were able to select many songs that are meaningful to us, and along with Melanie's guidance and support, create a playlist that made our wedding truly special. The music at the ceremony was top-notch and beautiful,... Read More while friends and family are still raving about the reception. I can say without reservation that Mixtape made the party. Working with Melanie is easy and comforting; she is beyond thorough. You will not be sorry.

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Katie T

They made our wedding celebration EPIC!!! We wanted our wedding to be "the best party ever," and they delivered that with so much enthusiasm and talent! Once they got going, my husband and I barely left the dance floor the entire night – it was fantastic. We rocked hard to... Read More Nirvana's "Teen Spirit" and got sappy to "With a Little Help from my Friends." Their energy was infectious, and we had family dancing that I never would have expected to join in. Melanie was so great to work with leading up to the event. She met me for a site visit since they hadn't played in our venue before, and talked through how everything would work. She was always so positive and excited – it was a joy to work with her and I never felt stressed about the music. We booked an 8-piece band, leaving the additional two members up to her recommendation, based on our song choices. We also had Tim, their male singer/guitarist play our ceremony. They even worked with us to play a 7-song encore (a tradition at all our friends' weddings), while staying within our timeline so breakdown for all our vendors would stay on-schedule. Our friends are still talking about how great Mixtape was months later. We just found out some friends booked them for their upcoming wedding – and I can't wait to party with them again!!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Betsy G

We used Melanie and Mixtape for our wedding and are still completely blown away by how exceptional they were! The dance floor was packed the entire night, and so many guests came up to us that night and the next day saying how amazing the band was. The rocked every song and had... Read More all of our guests moving and having an amazing time. We also used their musicians for our ceremony music and cocktail hour (bluegrass trio), and they were perfect for those too. Melanie was a dream to work with, and made it all so easy and painless. I would book them again in a heartbeat and you should too!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Betsy G

Reviewed on 9/25/2016 Nina G

Melanie and the rest of Mixtape completely stole the show at our wedding! From the moment we met the band at one of their NYC performances, we fell in love and knew we had to book them for our wedding. Melanie was so easy to work with and we felt completely confident in her. She... Read More was the easiest wedding "vendor" to work with by far. At our wedding, they nailed the ceremonial songs and played awesome, fun songs for the reception. The dance floor was consistently full, which is of course the goal for your wedding. My dad even missed our wedding dessert AND photo booth because he was too busy dancing!! During the wedding numerous people came up to me to ask "where did you find this band?!" I honestly hope I have a reason to work with them or see them perform again soon. You will be so thankful you booked them, trust me!!

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Cheryl N

Lauren and the rest of MIXTAPE were absolutely AMAZING. Now that the dust is starting to settle over the magic that happened, my wife and I both keep finding ourselves reliving the music, and especially the dance party. Everyone -- from my grandmother who can't stop talking... Read More about her special dance -- to our parents and siblings to our friends -- everyone is stopping us in our tracks to exclaim how amazing the band was. The dance floor was packed from beginning to end, and my grandma pulled up a rocking chair and held court in the back corner of the dance floor just so she could listen and enjoy the music, well past her bedtime. Nobody, especially us, wanted it to end! Though we coordinated with the band's leader, Melanie, she was already booked for another show that night, but in her place she sent the other half of the band, who were all OUTSTANDING. We were beyond thrilled to have Lauren and the other 7 crazy talented band members make the trek up to our summer camp wedding in the Berkshires. We could not have been happier, and the magic of the evening is all thanks to them. We can't recommend them enough and will be trying to get on the invite list for all future MIXTAPE weddings!

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

We love Mixtape!!! Melanie and her band absolutely KILLED our reception and their performance is the number one thing our guests have complimented us on since the wedding. They have such a wide repertoire and we loved that we got to choose our "must play songs" from their song... Read More list. They also learned two songs we requested just for our wedding! Melanie is also amazing - both as a band leader and person. We had a great time hanging out with her when we met to discuss our wedding, and at the actual wedding! Book them - you won't regret it!!

Reviewed on 6/09/2016 Kim W

Mel and Mixtape are incredible in every way. Music was very important to our wedding. We wanted a band that would play our favorite music, but also appeal to the older crowd as well with classics and some Top 40. It felt like every single person at the wedding came up to us... Read More and said something along the lines of “This band is amazing!,” or “Where did you find these guys?!” We were getting calls/texts/emails days later commenting on how awesome the music was. They learned “All Your Favorite Bands” by Dawes and “Now and Forever” by Carole King for us and absolutely nailed both. Additionally, when you hire Mixtape, it makes the wedding planning process about 100x easier. Mel is an absolute professional and just fantastic overall human being. In addition to getting an insanely talented musician, you’re also getting a wedding planning expert. She had every single detail accounted for, including many things we ourselves had not thought of – she doesn’t miss a beat. We were very grateful for her knowledge, experience, and professionalism. Our family and friends also raved about how great she was with all introductions/announcements throughout the evening. We cannot recommend them enough, and are extremely thankful to them for making our wedding so awesome.

Reviewed on 3/18/2016

We were so happy that Mixtape were the band for our wedding. Every single person that attended was on their feed dancing, they knew exactly what songs to get everyone moving. Melanie was really easy to work with and had everything perfect on the night. Couldn't recommend them... Read More highly enough to any music snob!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

Stop reading this review and go book MIXTAPE already!!! They were the highlight of the night at our wedding at the Wythe Hotel on September 6th 2015 and people are still talking about them almost 2 months later. We wanted to avoid the traditional cheesy wedding band but also... Read More didn't want to pick one that our parents and older guests might not necessarily appreciate. We didn't get the chance to see MIXTAPE perform before we booked but any fears we had were eliminated as soon as they took to the stage and every single guest was on the dance floor - where they remained for the entire night. Melanie was an absolute pleasure to work with in the run-up to the wedding and easily accommodated our various requests along the way without hesitation. A couple of months before the big day we were presented with a list of their extensive and varied repertoire from which we highlighted our favorite songs - many of which other wedding bands would never dream of performing. They curated an incredible set, performed with incredible energy, learned Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking Out Loud' for our first dance and put on a classic Hora. We cannot thank Melanie and the band enough for making our wedding such an incredible and FUN night. After you've booked them - please invite us to your wedding so we can see MIXTAPE perform one more time!!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Allison F

I cannot say enough fantastic things about Mixtape - they are truly incredible. Book them, and book them immediately - you will not be disappointed, in any way! From the moment we met Melanie, we were sold on Mixtape - she is fabulous, a great businessperson and a phenomenal... Read More musician, with a true passion for what she does. And, that really embodies the band - all of the musicians in the band are incredibly talented and versatile (they played a mix of jazz standards and cover songs/party music at our wedding), and they bring a fantastic energy to the room. From the moment we did our first dance, the dance floor was packed thereafter for the entire rest of the night. Melanie and the band very graciously accommodated our special requests of "Our Love is Here to Stay" and "Shout", and they absolutely knocked it out of the park on both renditions. If I ever have another reason to throw a big party, Mixtape will be my first call.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Lara G

My husband and I got married on Sept 4th, 2015 at The Metropolitan Building in Long Island City. Do not hesitate for a moment to book this band, you will not be disappointed. Right from the beginning Melanie was super accommodating and communicative, she was willing to work... Read More with what both my husband and I wanted for our wedding. MIXTAPE is like having your own private concert, you get to choose from their amazing repertoire what you would like them to play and they play it AMAZINGLY. I'm going to share two experiences with you, 1. While myself, bridesmaids and those involved in the processional were waiting, just seconds before the ceremony started, MIXTAPE began playing music as guests were finding their seats, and all of a sudden they played The Smiths "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" what they didn't know is that is one of my favorite songs which holds many memories for me, and now it holds an even deeper one. We were all dancing and lip singing to the song seconds before I said I DO. 2. "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins was the first song they played during dinner which got everyone out of their seats and to the dance floor, I mean EVERYONE was up dancing, young and old. We got so many rave reviews about the band. I would re do our wedding 20 times over choosing MIXTAPE every time.

Reviewed on 7/14/2015

My wife and I got married in BK just over 5 months ago and are so happy we chose The Mixtapes as our band. We were looking for a balance of new music as well as something the older generation would enjoy and they nailed it. We had over 225 people and they really got the whole... Read More room on the dance floor. We knew from hearing them play before our wedding day that they could play the newer stuff that we preferred but were so happy to hear them nail every song our parents knew as well. Also, they managed when to play the types of songs well, like keeping Teen Spirit until later. The other thing that really stood out for us was how user friendly they were. We asked if they could play a few songs they didn't know and they were able to do so for a couple on really short notice. They also handled the speeches, processional music and crowd really well. We can't express anymore how amazing they were and even 5 months after we still get comments about the band and the party.

Reviewed on 7/08/2015

Where to begin! We had an amazing time with Mixtape as our Wedding Band. First, the entire booking process was so easy. We emailed with Melanie a few times, then met her before putting the deposit down. They also play at a lot of local venues, but happened to be booked up... Read More during that time period. When we did finally see them at the Bell House, we knew immediately we made the right choice. We have yet to see a band match the energy that Mixtape has, and we've been to a LOT of weddings. They were completely amenable to what we wanted to do. They even learned "Domino" by Van Morrison and "All these things that I've done" by the Killers for us. Both are two of our favs, and it really made the day complete. Unlike with a lot of the wedding band companies, we actually knew who was going to show up on our wedding day. Every single person that we've spoken to after the wedding has said "the reception was fun, that band was AMAZING." We both have them penciled in for another event later in life when we can actually focus on the music!

Reviewed on 5/27/2015 Shirzad K

MIXTAPE rocked our wedding!! I couldn't possibly gush more about how amazing they were. They learned some of the most difficult arrangements to cover just for us and nailed them perfectly. EVERYONE was talking about how great they were and how much fun everyone had because of... Read More the band. Mel is a superb lead vocalist and everyone in the band is extraordinarily talented. As a ten piece no other wedding band can touch them.

Best Wedding Band. Hands Down.

Reviewed on 12/30/2014 Lauren B

My husband and I had two priorities for our wedding: the food and the music. After seeing Mixtape at a wedding band show in BK, we knew they had to play our wedding. Melanie and team were a pleasure to work with, from start to finish. She attended to every ask, and helped nail... Read More down every detail from start to finish for our big day. They learned a new song for our wedding dance, and did such an amazing job it floored us. So many of our guests commented on how incredible Mixtape was, and specifically how amazing Melanie's voice is. The dance floor was hopping for the entire reception. We couldn't have asked for a better band or experience working with Mixtape.

Perfect Choice

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Jenna B

While typical wedding bands focus in on the standards and the current radio hits, Mixtape had a huge assortment of different kinds of songs it made it difficult to cut down! They did such a great job, all of the guests were raving. They even learned songs that they didn't have... Read More on their lists for us so we could have our first dance/parents dance done by them as well. Really glad we picked them!

The Best Wedding Band Ever!

Reviewed on 10/14/2014 Tricia J

I got married this August and Mixtape was my favorite part of the entire wedding...besides getting married of course! :) From the start of the process, Melanie was professional, accommodating, and sweet. I had a long list of songs I wanted them to play, and she did such a... Read More good job of accommodating my list while also letting me know which songs would work and which would not. She and her band even learned our first dance song, recorded it beforehand, and sent it to us so that we could practice our first dance with their version. So amazing! She and each member of Mixtape was so talented. It felt like an intimate, personal show by our favorite band.They played our favorite songs but also made sure that people of all ages had songs they identified with. They got everyone up and dancing. They also rocked the blue-grass cocktail hour. I wish I was able to see more of it.

Start a Conversation!